Old 07-05-2005, 01:02 PM

Yahoo fantasy football signup now open...

my boner isn't as big as it was last year on the matter, but if you want to get the He Hate Me League set up early this year.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

They opened it up a while back. I already started a league to hold a draft spot of August 24, 2005 at 9:00 pm CDT few months back. Not sure if anyone else got a hold of a better time or not, but I figure as the season gets closer the keeper league guys will get together and sort things out.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:34 PM

Does someone want to throw out an actuall password so those of us interested can join?
Old 07-05-2005, 08:53 PM

I was in a league last year, but I think that it was not the Keeper league. But I'm not sure. So, if anyone else remembers. This past year has been a blllllllllllluuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrr.

Was listening to some sports radio tonight where the DJs are in a 32 team league with DJs from the Clear Channel affiliates in other NFL markets. It would be fun to have the reality of a fully-diluted 32 team field to have to contend with. Or at least interesting.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchiveGuy
Does someone want to throw out an actuall password so those of us interested can join?
Not really, trying to avoid it becoming a free-for-all. The keeper league is going to have to get organized and everything since that's not going to be open to just anyone. Not sure if any of the other guys have set up a league yet or not, so my league might be reserved for that.

Last year there was a thread, and all interested parties pooled up. Eventually leagues were split up equally and with different scoring rules. when everything was all set, signups were done.

Free-for-alls in the past created problems with absentee owners missed drafts.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:09 PM

Well, I'll ask.

Regardless of past performance, I intend to play again this year. No one has chosen to be commissioner this year, and I'm the outgoing one, so I'll hand the torch over as soon as it's decided. We have much to discuss.

I have a league slot with a draft time of 8:30 pm on Tue, Sept. 6. This is my home league, but I will open it to interested parties. Send me an email.

(if you don't know, it's Steelerphan- and no, I didn't just have a Steeler funeral. I don't plan on dying, ever.)
Old 07-07-2005, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient
Not really, trying to avoid it becoming a free-for-all. The keeper league is going to have to get organized and everything since that's not going to be open to just anyone. Not sure if any of the other guys have set up a league yet or not, so my league might be reserved for that.

Last year there was a thread, and all interested parties pooled up. Eventually leagues were split up equally and with different scoring rules. when everything was all set, signups were done.

Free-for-alls in the past created problems with absentee owners missed drafts.
So, if we weren't involved in the past, don't bother?

Whatever.
Old 07-07-2005, 04:25 PM

Varlos' Zzzzzzz will return for the keeper league. Now, who the hell are my keepers? McGahee is one (and would Buffalo please trade Henry???). Maybe Javon Walker (did I take him in the 5th? 4th? I don't know.

Did someone remember to archive last year's rosters?
Old 07-07-2005, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

I was in one of the non-keeper leagues last year, and actually won it by virtue of my deal with the devil (eeeeeevvviillll Peyton! good Peyton! ha-ha in the playoffs Peyton!). I will naturally be up for defending my title wherever is necessary this year
Old 07-07-2005, 04:41 PM

I'm up for the keeper league, for what it matters. I still have no idea how it's going to work, I've never been in a keeper before, but I believe I placed so I have the #1, didn't I?
Old 07-07-2005, 04:43 PM

Quote:

Whatever.
Well, I suspect he'd prefer to hear from last years members before he starts giving spots away, understand? A keeper league, as in, you get to keep some players from the previous year.
Old 07-07-2005, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Hermit
(if you don't know, it's Steelerphan- and no, I didn't just have a Steeler funeral. I don't plan on dying, ever.)
HA! I knew that was you.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Hermit
Well, I'll ask.

Regardless of past performance, I intend to play again this year. No one has chosen to be commissioner this year, and I'm the outgoing one, so I'll hand the torch over as soon as it's decided. We have much to discuss.

I have a league slot with a draft time of 8:30 pm on Tue, Sept. 6. This is my home league, but I will open it to interested parties. Send me an email.

So, if you're stepping down as commish of the keeper league, safe to assume you're still playing right? We're probably going to need you to work hand-in-hand with the new commish due to all the keeper stuff, IIRC you filed it all, correct? I got no problem being the new commish, though I like your draft time lots better than mine. However, being a keeper league maybe closeness to kickoff isn't quite as pressing.

It's still a long was off before we need to get serious about it. Though, it'll be good to start making sure all teh players from last year are still reachable. Anyone have email addresses?
Old 07-07-2005, 08:24 PM

I wasn't stepping down by choice- it was decided to rotate the job amongst the owners, sometime last year. I do have records, including the players at the draft:
  • Rhinosaurs (neuroman)
  • Baltimore Weirdos
  • 4th and 19 (Wilson)
  • T. Rex (TMH)
  • Mundi's Morning Blue
  • BithloMulletRevival
  • Pentium None
  • Omni's Omnipotents
  • Balls (Chitwood)
  • New York Fanboys (Ellis Dee)
  • Falcon Twists- Munch
  • DerierExtraordinaire
  • HamletToBeNamedLater
  • Varlos' Zzzzzzz

I think I have the email addresses.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:36 PM
Charter Member

I'm here.
Hoping somebody has the final rosters and draft results from last year's league, or we're gonna have the same problems we did last year!

I'm REALLY regretting trading away McGahee for Holt right about now.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson
I'm here.
Hoping somebody has the final rosters and draft results from last year's league, or we're gonna have the same problems we did last year!
I have copies. They're not accessible to me right now since I'm travelling, but it shouldn't be a problem. Omni, glad to see we have at least one decent draft spot available.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:04 AM

Pentium None = NurseCarmen.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:03 AM

I stopped crying myself to sleep several weeks ago when RW made it clear he planned to unretire. Now that he's back up to 215, I've been masturbating myself to sleep again.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:45 AM

I have Ricky's mailing address, and I am boxing him up ten ounces of California's stickiest icky as we speak. He'll never make it to training camp!
Old 07-08-2005, 02:28 PM

Quote:
I have Ricky's mailing address, and I am boxing him up ten ounces of California's stickiest icky as we speak. He'll never make it to training camp
You're sharing, right?

Do you think everyone will come back?
Old 07-09-2005, 11:33 PM

I'll be there. I might just draft one of those guys who throw the ball this year.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:44 AM

Perseonnel records

OK - I have copies of everyone's week 14 rosters (beginning of playoffs / end of season.) I also have records of all the DROPs that coaches made during the season, because I think the rule we had on keepers is that once they hit the waiver wire, they lost keeper status for next season.

What I lack, stupidly, are the actual draft results. I feel confident that these exist somewhere... aha, here they are!
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...&postcount=171
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...&postcount=172

And here is the original thread from last year:
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...3&page=1&pp=50
Old 07-20-2005, 10:57 PM

The Bithlo Mullet Revival will be revived.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:03 AM

I am so totally in. The New York Fanboys look to be much better this year for countless reasons, not the least of which is the fact that I won't be downloading java over a dialup during the actual draft. Doh!

As far as regrets go, taking Jeff Garcia instead of Eli Manning wasn't the best move in the world. Who has Eli? You keeping? (He sucked, and looks to suck again...you know you want me to start him...)

My only keeper of note is Lamont, but he's no longer a NY guy. I haven't yet decided if that means I'll ditch him, or if it means I'll open up my requirements to include ex-NY guys like Kerry Collins, who looks to be better than either Eli or The Chad this year. Ah, decisions decisions.

So, uh, being the laughing stock of the league, where does that put me in draft order? It has to be in the top half, right?

I'm down with both the He Hate Me league and the Christian Okoye invitational, as per last year. If we wanted to try to open things up for new players, that might not be a bad idea. Say, one keeper and one new league?

As far as rules go, my thoughts (which, being a newbie fanboy idiot who may not win a single game, probably don't matter much) are as follows:

1 point per point. (TD=6, FG=3, XP=1, Safety=2)
+1 point for 40+ yard FGs
+2 points for 50+ yard FGs

A yard is a yard. As in, rushing yards and receiving yards should be worth the same, no matter who rushes or catches for it.

Passing yards should be a third of whatever rushing/receiving yards are worth. (300 yards passing = 100 yards rushing = 100 yards receiving) I could be convinced of other ratios; I don't much care. I do think rushing and receiving should be the same, though.

Negative scores are a must. No opinion on the specific negative values, though I did very much like the -1 for a fumble and -2 for a lost fumble.

The roster size & structure were pretty good last year. Being a homer fanboy, I'd ideally like 1 bench spot for each starter, but I won't whine like a bitch if you guys want to limit bench spots to increase strategy.

I also wouldn't mind trying a much bigger league; I think that would be cool.

I cannot properly express how incredibly jacked I am for the Giants this year. We should at least get a wildcard. The Jets? I'm a little worried, but hey, they're my secondary team anyway.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:41 PM

I will return to defend my title, of course, despite not being able to rely upon a pot smoking nutcase with no shoes to carry my team after week 5.

I am so desperate for football that I have actually tuned in to NFL network in order to watch highlights of the Ricky Williams press conference -- twice.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:27 AM

I'm feeling a bit antsy. Do we have enough returning owners to make this work? Should we create a league and offer up the password?
Old 08-01-2005, 09:33 AM

Quote:

Whatever.
There's always a chance we don't have all the owners from last season, so you could probably fill in for one.

Also, there another doper FF league setting up (much faster than this one, I must say) in the Cafe in this thread. I think there's only a couple spots left, so you best hurry.

It still has that "new league" smell.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:12 PM

I have a league open, with a good draft time (Tuesday, Sept. 6.)

Email me for the details. I have to keep a couple reserved spots open.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:30 PM
BANNED

Are we going to do this? I have received no emails.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:32 PM

I emailed Mad Hermit. Should I be emailing you?

I will. Purely for the entertainment value.

-NC (pentium none)
Old 08-10-2005, 05:33 PM

We must play.

Personelly, I was never big on the "rotating commissioner" idea. I think things will run snoothest if The Mad Hermit just keeps running with the ball. I have no complaints about his service last year.

If Omni or anyone else wantas to take over, I'm fine with that, too -- I just think it will take an active hand (quickly) to make the keeper league work.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:55 PM

I wouldn't worry too much about posting the league ID and password. It's getting pretty late in the game, and we may find ourselves with not enough returning owners and no new interested parties if we wait much longer.

I'm itching to get in and set up my pre-draft rankings.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:13 AM

If neuroman would email the rosters to me, I'll set everything up. I can't promise a great draft time, but let me know ASAP and I'll get right on it.

I see that the following people have posted:

Ellis Dee
Spiritus Mundi
NurseCarmen
Weirddave
furt
neuroman
Jimmy Chitwood
Wilson
BabaBooey
VarlosZ
Omniscient

...and me.

We need Munch and Hamlet as far as I can see. Hamlet emailed me, so there's just one left.

Looks like enough interest to go on.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:20 AM

The earliest draft time available on the latest day possible is 3pm Wed, Sept. 7.

If we go to 2pm, we can get the preceding day (Tue Sep 6) along with Wed.

If you want a really early draft, we can get any hour between 9am and 2pm on the 1st, 2nd, 7th, and 8th of September.

We need to act now...
Old 08-11-2005, 05:37 PM

I've bumped the thread so that it stays on the front page tonight.

Please let me know if you want me to proceed...

Who is playing tonight, anyway?
Old 08-11-2005, 05:39 PM

Munch isn't a doper anymore. I'll alert him to this thread. I'm in, by the way.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:44 PM

Munch is following the thread, and he's in. I'm emailing you his email, Hermit.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:16 PM

The Yahoo league has been created, I got a late draft time- Monday, Sept. 5, at 11:15 pm.

You would have been awake to watch the game anyway...

League ID is 398878

password: cecil (what else?)

I put the settings on default, post over there to propose rule changes. I do have last year's settings saved for reference.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:52 PM

That's Labor Day.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:57 PM

Figures. I hope it isn't a problem.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:38 PM

No problem for me -- I love the time. (I don't mind if it's changed, either.)

But I thought they didn't usually have MNF games the final week of preseason, because that makes a Short week to start the season. (Don't the teams in the Thursday night opener play Friday the last week?)
Old 08-11-2005, 09:18 PM

I know there's no game then, I was speaking of the fact that the next 17 Mondays will be late ones.

I guess we just need the list of eligible keeprs for each team, so if anyone with the definitive end-of-season list will step forward, I would appreciate it.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:42 AM

I am in. Draft time is a bit late, but I can live with it.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:50 PM

I won't be able to make the draft. Just throwing that out there; I can prerank. If I'm the only one, obviously, the draft must go on.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:39 PM

I can run a draft outside of the Yahoo draft, then enter it into the system to play on Yahoo (never again will I run a paper league.) It may be easier this way to account for the keepers.

What I would need to do it: cooperation from the other players in the form of deciding on a draft time, finding an appropriate forum to run the draft in real time (message board? IM? chatroom?), and that list of keepers.

I don't want to do all the work if no one cares, so how about some feedback?
Old 08-12-2005, 11:04 PM

I'm up for anything. We could try it via the MB and allocate the first week of September as draft week. (Season opens on the 8th.) Would that give us enough time?
Old 08-13-2005, 12:22 AM

We should do the draft in real time, with time limits on picks. We will need to use a chatroom if we can find one that will be stable for 14 people.

Here are the lists with last year's team names. These are the players eligible to be keepers, as far as the beginning of last season.

(Do we use this list or use the list combined with the roster changes during the season? I don't have that set of records.)

Rhinosaurs

C. Chambers WR MIA
T. Brady QB NE
Is. Bruce WR STL
Ro. Williams WR DET
A. Boldin WR ARI
J. Plummer QB DEN
D. Akers K PHI
J. Stevens TE SEA
N. Davenport RB GB
D. Watts WR DEN
Washington DEF WAS
Green Bay DEF GB

Baltimore Weirdos

Baltimore DEF BAL
T. Heap TE BAL
W. Green RB CLE
I. Hilliard WR NYG
M. Robinson WR MIN
J. Wilkins K STL
E. Manning QB NYG
C. Taylor RB BAL
A. Gates TE SD
D. Terrell WR CHI
R. Longwell K GB
D. Bledsoe QB BUF
M. Schobel TE CIN

4th and 19 (Wilson)

L. Suggs RB CLE
J. Porter WR OAK
R. Wayne WR IND
W. McGahee RB BUF
E. Smith RB ARI
L. Evans WR BUF
D. Driver WR GB
S. Janikowski K OAK
J. Harrington QB DET
M. Pollard TE IND
B. Stokley WR IND
D. Graham TE NE
Oakland DEF OAK

T. Rex

C. Garner RB TB
J. McCareins WR NYJ
Ke. Johnson WR BAL
G. Hearst RB DEN
A. Lelie WR DEN
T. Calico WR TEN
J. Elam K DEN
A. Zereoue RB OAK
E. Kinney TE TEN
D. Hall WR KC
Pittsburgh DEF PIT
V. Testaverde QB ` DAL
L. Betts RB WAS

Mundi's Morning Blue

B. Favre QB GB
P. Burress WR PIT
Ke. Johnson WR DAL
W. Dunn RB ATL
Miami DEF MIA
D. Givens WR NE
J. Rice WR OAK
J. McCown QB ARI
M. Alstott RB TB
A. Vinatieri K NE
J. Gage WR CHI
B. Watson TE NE
Ri. Williams RB MIA*

BithloMulletRevival

K. Robinson WR SEA
E. George RB DAL
New England DEF NE
P. Warrick WR CIN
M. Shipp RB ARI
A. Davis WR CLE
M. Muhammad WR CAR
M. Stover K BAL
B. Franks TE GB
B. Troupe TE TEN
K. Faulk RB NE
C. Simms QB TB
F. Mitchell WR PHI

Pentium None

T. Barber RB NYG
C. Rogers WR DET
T. Wheatley RB OAK
A. Crumpler TE ATL
R. Gardner WR WAS
J. Bettis RB PIT
Minnesota DEF MIN
B. Johnson QB TB
J. Brown K SEA
N. Burleson WR MIN
B. Roethlisberger QB PIT
F. Jones TE ARI
T. Taylor WR BAL

Omni's Omnipotents

D. Jackson
J. Jones
P. Price
B. Lloyd
Carolina
Q. Morgan
J. Kasay
J. Witten
T. Hambrick
M. Clayton
De. Clark
A. Thomas
O. Mare

Balls:

D. Staley
J. Smith
L. Fitzgerald
Tampa Bay
Da. Clark
Re. Williams
R. Ferguson
D. Carr
M. Brunell
G. Jones
R. Gannon
T. Hollings
L. Tynes

New York Fanboys:

J. Shockey
A. Toomer
R. Dayne
L. Jordan
A. Becht
Buffalo
J. Garcia
A. Smith
A. Bryant
J. Hall
Seattle
J. Losman
T. Pinkston

Munch

L. Coles
M. Bulger
D. Foster
B. Williams
D. Bennett
Philly
K. McCardell
La. Johnson
C. Palmer
T. Glenn
D. Northcutt
K. Warner
M. Andersen

DerierExtraordinaire:

M. Bennett
D. Stallworth
J. Delhomme
L. Gordon
D. Branch
Dallas
O. Smith
T. Maddox
L. Smith
Tennessee
D. Rhodes
R. Woods
P. Edinger

Hamlet:

An. Johnson
T.J. Duckett
S. Jackson
M. Vanderjagt
R. Smith
J. Fargas
R. McMichael
C. Perry
M. Smith
T. Rattay
Kansas City
E. Parker
I. Mili

Varlos' Zzzzzzzzzz:

K. Jones
J. Walker
K. Winslow
M. Booker
Mo. Williams
J. Galloway
B. Leftwich
E. Kennison
T. Minor
St. Louis
L. Toefield
J. Feely
D. Patten

This list is from the threads that were linked previously:

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...3&postcount=171
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...9&postcount=172
Old 08-13-2005, 12:35 AM

I'll spend my 5th rounder keeping Jordan, assuming that's what he would cost.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:38 AM

The list we really require is the final rosters. Players should be eligible to be kept by their owners at the end of the season so long as that player never appeared on the waiver wire. We don't need the full list of transactions to track that, only the list of trades. Any player who changed hands outside of a trade would be ineligible.

I have done drafts on Yahoo and ICQ before. It works fine, though someone would have to do the tedious work of setting the rosters in teh Yahoo league afterward.

Ellis Dee -- aren't you ethically required to drop Jordan now that he has turned his back on the big apple? Tell you what -- keep him at 5 and I'll trade you my 5th round pick for him.
Old 08-13-2005, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritus Mundi
Ellis Dee -- aren't you ethically required to drop Jordan now that he has turned his back on the big apple? Tell you what -- keep him at 5 and I'll trade you my 5th round pick for him.
Technically yes, though I haven't completely ruled out the "Former Giant, Now Good" style of team, which would legitimize Scary Kerry as well. In fact, notice that I drafted John Hall last season, much on the same principle.

But mostly I'm looking to swing a trade for Eli, and Jordan is the best bargaining chip I can see so far.