Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-22-2004, 11:23 PM

Four year old waking up with leg pain?

What could be causing an otherwise healthy four year old child to wake up howling in agony with leg pain? It has been happening sporadically over the last two months or so, maybe a total of four nights in that span. The Little Lagomorph goes to bed as usual, everything is fine, then he wakes up an hour or two later howling. The first couple of times we couldn't guess what was wrong and he couldn't tell us. Finally we figured out his leg was hurting, maybe both. The pain seems to be coming from the shin/calf/ankle area but he is not coherent enough at these times to even answer questions. Ibuprofen seems to help then he finally falls asleep again. In the morning everything is normal.

There is nothing visibly wrong with his legs, no bruises or anything. He isn't limping or complaining of pain during the day. He is a normal active kid.

My wife has an appointment scheduled with the pediatrician on Thursday to discuss this but I was wondering if anyone else had any ideas or similar experiences? It just happened again tonight and frankly it leaves Mrs. Lagomorph and I a little frazzled. In fact she might be moving the appointment up if possible.