Old 02-17-2010, 10:01 AM

Anyone else sick of the Olympics?

I'm not a huge sports fan, but my wife is quite interested in the games, so for the past few days I've been happy to veg in the same room with her as she sped through the hours of coverage she had DVRed. And I was enjoying some speedskating, a little alpine and x-country skiing, some snowboarding, and even some biathalon. Didn't mind the couples figure skating short-programs. While working out yesterday afternoon I even watched 40 minutes of curling (and people question whether golf is a sport!)

But somewhere in the middle of watching figure skating yesterday evening I realized I had hit a wall. I simply had ZERO interest in seeing another person/couple dance around the rink, hoping that at least I'd see someone wipe out. Not to mention the crushing pace of ad breaks - after every performance, then again after the scores are given before the next performance... Christ, what is that fossil Dick Button blatting on about now?

So despite giving it a valiant effort, I'm done for another 4 years. Anyone else?
Old 02-17-2010, 10:20 AM

Well, I *love* the Winter Games, even more than the Summer Games, so I'm not in your camp...except about the commercials. Because, you're right, it seems like you get one skate (or race), and then another ad break.

But, man, if you're burned out on the Olympics after 4 days, I'm sorry...
Old 02-17-2010, 11:50 AM

What kenobi said. . .

The Olympics last about two weeks in the winter, about three weeks in the summer. If you're tired of them after four days, well you're not an Olympics fan, that's all I can say.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:58 AM

I love watching the Olympics, but I'm also rather spoiled this year with the half dozen or so channels showing coverage in Canada, so if I don't want to watch a commercial, I can just flip to another channel and watch another sport. I've got a couple more midterm exams this week, but come Thursday night, I'll be able to devote an inordinate amount of time to watching TV, because next week is my reading week!
Old 02-17-2010, 12:00 PM

Sick from the first 30 seconds. I'm not a Summer Olympic fan, and even less a winter one. I don't begrudge others the TV coverage, though I do wish they'd put the NBA or college hoops or anything else on the small TV in the Bar. Still, its only a couple of weeks, and it is almost time for pitchers and catchers to report...
Old 02-17-2010, 12:31 PM

I've been sick of them for the past... 14 years, ever since I had to make up a poster for school about a sports event I didn't know or care about. At the time, I actually had to go and find out if the United States was involved, that's how little I cared about the Olympics.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:37 PM

Wow, the Olympic's didn't even get going until yesturday when Men's Hockey started. I guess if you don't like hockey and many other sports than Olympics might not be your cup of tea. My biggest beef is that there is not enough Olympic coverage.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:00 PM

Maybe if I take a couple of days off, I'll be able to rejoin my wife in the TV room for another day or 2 before needing another break. I probably could have handled it longer if it weren't for all the figure skating!
Old 02-17-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinsdale View Post
I probably could have handled it longer if it weren't for all the figure skating!
Yeah, you took that one in the teeth a little bit, since we've already had the pairs skating, and the men's short program last night. Figure skating tends to get a lot of coverage, as the networks have seen that it always gets strong ratings, esp. among women.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:16 PM

I used to get tired of the Olympics, back in the day of three networks. Now? My wife watches in the other room, and I watch whatever I feel like on cable. Or surf the Web.

Last edited by BrotherCadfael; 02-17-2010 at 01:16 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by This_Just_In... View Post
Wow, the Olympic's didn't even get going until yesturday when Men's Hockey started. I guess if you don't like hockey and many other sports than Olympics might not be your cup of tea. My biggest beef is that there is not enough Olympic coverage.
I like hockey. I just prefer the NHL, and the Olympics means no NHL.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:07 PM
SDSAB

I wouldn't say I'm sick of it, exactly, but I wouldn't be terribly put out if I didn't see any more.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:01 PM

Joe Rogan once said, "The Olympics are just nations competing in freaky shit you'd never pay to watch."
Old 02-17-2010, 03:07 PM

A friend turned me on to this - which I find FAR more entertaining than sitting in front of the tube! LOVE the descriptions of the outfits!
Old 02-17-2010, 03:15 PM

I can't say I'm sick of the Olympics, because I haven't watched them. I haven't watched anything on television in years, actually.

(I do watch a few shows on Hulu and DVD but that's about it)
Old 02-17-2010, 03:18 PM

To answer seriously, I actually never watch sports EXCEPT for the Olympics. And then I watch as much as possible. For these two weeks I'm glued to the TV. Bobsled, slalom, figure skating, short track -- I love it all.

ETA: I'm probably one of the very few people who was actually living in two different cities when they each hosted the Olympics. (That is, not visiting, not a tourist -- actually a resident.) I was living in Montreal in 1976, and in Los Angeles in 1984. Quite an experience both times.

Last edited by suranyi; 02-17-2010 at 03:22 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:49 PM

I'm not sure.

I've never been a huge Olympics fan, but I generally give a watch and try to pay attention to the big stories. This time out ... I'm just not hooked. I've watched a little skiing and snowboarding, but try as I might, I can't stomach the figure skating. It just bores me to tears. And it's all over prime time.

And the worst is when they've wrapped up their routine and they're sitting there panting, waiting for their scores and they all do the same thing, plaster on the big phony smile (even when the scores come in tanked), wave their little hands and thank everyone from Aunt Mable to the milkman. I just can't take it.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:03 PM

You're all intellectuals here, or so you say.

How about a sport that's been described as chess on ice? Yup, curling. "Curling's not a sport", you say. Think about the skill it takes to slide a 44 pound lump of granite gown a 144 foot long sheet of ice, and getting it to maneuver around other rocks land within inches of the spot where the skip asks you to place it. Think of the strategy where you have to guess your opponent's move, your responses, their possible responses, and so on, all on a playing field that is infinitely more granular than a chessboard? Also, consider that it's a sport that is accessible to you, too, if you're lucky enough to live near a curling club.

Oh, you're just sliding rocks down a sheet of ice or sweeping, you might say. Playing a casual eight-end club-level game will burn off 600 to 800 calories, if you're lead or second. In the Olympics, curlers are burning more energy than downhill skiiers, lugers, bobsledders, and those participating in many other sports. It's a lot of work, and it takes a lot of brains, too.

Really, check it out.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:13 PM
SDSAB

You're a writer for The Simpsons, aren't you?

suranyi, any good stories from living in two cities while they hosted Olympics?

Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 02-17-2010 at 04:14 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villa View Post
Sick from the first 30 seconds. I'm not a Summer Olympic fan, and even less a winter one. I don't begrudge others the TV coverage, though I do wish they'd put the NBA or college hoops or anything else on the small TV in the Bar. Still, its only a couple of weeks, and it is almost time for pitchers and catchers to report...
Ditto, except that I do enjoy hockey, but I consider it more just like an exhibition tournament more than a decider of which country has the best team. You need a long season to determine that. A short 2 week tournament like the Olympics is very much hit or miss. If your goalie has a bad day your team is SOL.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:18 PM

I'm not sick of them because I have watched exactly 0 seconds of the coverage. I think it must be the first time ever that I have totally skipped an Olympics. It wasn't a conscious decision, I just never started watching anything about them.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmwood View Post
Think about the skill it takes to slide a 44 pound lump of granite gown......
Think about the chutzpah it takes to wear that granite gown.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
You're a writer for The Simpsons, aren't you?

suranyi, any good stories from living in two cities while they hosted Olympics?
Let's see:

In Montreal: The city was really excited to get the games. It wasn't until afterwards that the pricetag became apparent. In the years leading up to the games our school, and probably everyone else's, put on a mock Olympic Games.

The construction of the new facilities were barely done in time for the games, and in fact part of the stadium that wasn't strictly necessary for the competition (the tower) wasn't finished until years later. Partially this was because it turned out to be much more expensive than first estimated, and that was in turn partially because the construction workers staged several militant strikes, knowing that there was a strict deadline.

I visited the construction site of the Olympic Stadium several times; truly impressive.

It was pretty easy to get tickets to all but the most popular events. I saw Bruce Jenner win the decathlon. I saw the high jumper Dwight Stones take the bronze medal despite the fact that he was booed constantly by a large part of the crowd because he had earlier made disparaging remarks about Quebeckers.

I also went to judo, canoeing, wrestling, and water polo. Gymnastics was the only tough ticket.

There was a practice track near the stadium, and security was so lax that I actually walked right out onto the track and spoke to a few of the athletes. I have the pictures to prove it. One from England and one from Barbados, I remember.

Los Angeles: They only built two new facilities for the games, a swimming center and a velodrome, and they were both finished way before the games. (And they were both built as cheap as possible, too.) Everybody was afraid the traffic would be terrible, but actually traffic was better than ever during the Olympics.

Tickets were much harder to get for the L.A. games than for Montreal. As a result, I only went to two events: First a preliminary round soccer match at the Rose Bowl between two non-contenders (Egypt was one; I forget the other one). Second was cycling, which included several events of which the most exciting was the final of the individual pursuit.

Those games are enormous undertakings and I can see why a city would be reluctant to go through the trouble. But I still remember those experiences as being very special times.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:26 AM

Not sure if it counts, since I was four, but I lived in Calgary in '88 and I currently live in Vancouver.

Am I sick of the Olympics? Well, yes and no.

I don't watch too much TV, so the coverage or lack of coverage doesn't get to me at home. However, work has the Olympics buzzing on every TV all the time, so it gets to me during the day. I love seeing how this city has completely changed and come alive but I hate how the changes have impacted my normal routine. Getting groceries is now a bit of a trial since I can no longer park anywhere. The extended transit has been fantastic, but the city is so busy that every bus is late and packed with people who have no idea where they're going. I like how the city has tried over and over to put its best face forward. People are happier, friendlier, more helpful to strangers. I am ashamed that newspapers around the world are arguing about whether we've hosted the worst games ever.

A lot of the Olympic experience annoys me, but I know I'll feel sad when it is over.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:15 AM

I don't know if I'm sick of it, just disappointed.

I believe it was Tuesday when the men's hockey was scheduled to kick off. So I got up nice and early. I live in the EST, and Vancouver is on PST, so I figured I would get some early stuff going on. All I got was curling. CURLING. (And yes, I know that it is actually a sport and quite difficult, but whatever. They have compared curling to "chess on ice." All fine and good. Have you ever watched a chess match on TV? I'd rather eat the yellow snow.)

So around 3 PM EST, the men's USA hockey finally came on. I had a fun, albeit brief time. The game seemed to last a lot shorter than a regular NHL game. I also wanted to watch the Russians play, so I could see what Ovechkin would do, but all I got after the USA game was... you guessed it, MORE CURLING!

Fast forward to the rest of the day - cleaning house, making dinner and what not...Grew tired around 9 PM and still no more hockey. I fell asleep with the TV on. Around 3 AM (I guess), I woke up to see Russian hockey! Does this mean they're playing the Russians at midnight to hit their time zone? Doesn't the wreak havoc with the players' biological clocks?

The next day: Almost nothing but women's curling and figure skating. I figure the best I can do is DVR the whole thing and pick and choose what I want. So I'll probably watch the olympics after the medal presentations.

Wooo. Go USA. Well, go somewhere at least.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldup Rabbit View Post
I am ashamed that newspapers around the world are arguing about whether we've hosted the worst games ever.
Don't be ashamed. Munich '72 has a lock on that, for obvious reasons.

Media people like to bitch about things when their bus is crowded or late or there are lines to wait in before they get fed. Pay them no mind.

Last edited by zamboniracer; 02-18-2010 at 02:01 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Brother Walker View Post
Does this mean they're playing the Russians at midnight to hit their time zone? Doesn't the wreak havoc with the players' biological clocks?

From what I can tell, there is a hockey game on at noon, 4:30 and 9pm PST, which means the games start at 3, 7:30 and 12pm EST. The game times locally in Vancouver aren't all that different from typical NHL start times.

For men's hockey, the US is playing Norway as I type this (well, they're in the first intermission), Canada plays Switzerland at 7:30pm EST, and Russia plays Slovakia at midnight EST. Women's games are at 5:30pm EST and 10:00pm EST; US-Finland and China-Russia respectively.

The entire schedule is available here, with all times listed PST.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
A friend turned me on to this - which I find FAR more entertaining than sitting in front of the tube! LOVE the descriptions of the outfits!
Sweet Evil Elvis Christ, that was funny.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:12 AM

My complaints:

The advertising (as mentioned above) has been over the top.

It's in Vancouver... a 3 hour time difference from me. Show the things live. It is almost impossible to watch anything sports related without seeing results being scrolled at the bottom of a screen. I guess I could stay off the net, radio, and tv, but I like watching things in real time... I think this has been the biggest drawback for me.

I love the winter olympics, but I don't like the inclusion of the x-game events, like the half pipe in the games. I love the x-games in their own context, but they don't fit the winter olympics I used to love to watch. Bobsled, Luge, Curling, biathalon, the downhill.... I'll even watch figure skating (as long as I don't have to see Johnny Weir or any other man dressed in spandex and fur).

And as an American, I can't stand the background stories on every one of the US athletes. I don't give a crap! I know people seem to like the People Magazine approach, but I want to see as many of the athletes as I can instead of only seeing the top Americans and a few others. I'd love to see all the downhill racers, and scratch the x-game snowboard stuff.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboniracer View Post
Ditto, except that I do enjoy hockey, but I consider it more just like an exhibition tournament more than a decider of which country has the best team. You need a long season to determine that. A short 2 week tournament like the Olympics is very much hit or miss. If your goalie has a bad day your team is SOL.
Is it my imagination, or has the hockey pool been watered down, and the ability to move to the next round fairly easy?

I have a fairly strong memory of the 1980 games for obvious reasons, and I remember the US were undefeated through the entire tournament with one tie. I can remember that getting that tie was instrumental in getting them to the next round.

Are there less teams now, and that's why there is a difference, or is my memory to blame? There are only 3 pools this year. I think there were 4 pools in 1980, and they had 5-6 teams/pool.

I guess I'll do some searching to see if I'm close.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:27 AM

ok, I was wrong. There were 2 divisions... the red and the blue, with the top two teams moving to the medal round.

The medal round was also a round-robin, unlike this year's single elimination.

I'm pretty sure this year has 3 divisions, but I won't swear to it. Clearly, I'm in a fog.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:45 AM
Charter Member

I've been sick of the Olympics ever since they went from having it every 4 years to every 2 years. Now, its no longer a special event - its a (bi)yearly ritual.

I haven't watched a single second of this year, and only watched hockey in the last one.

I also HATE the way NBC handles their footage. Their damn logo is the olympic rings, even when it isn't a olympic year - its like they have to brag that its the only thing that network has. Plus the way they have a tendency to show lane boring documentaries on the athletes rather than the events, and how when its in a foreign timezone, they would TELL YOU the final scores before airing a time delay.

Also, the way that the ceremonies seem to get more attention than the games - I hear tons of people say they only watch the opening and closing. Who wants to watch 2 hours of people marxhing?

One of my college rooms went apeshit on me for not watching the Olympics back in 2000. He was acting like it was my DUTY as an Earthling to give it notice.

I say make it every 5 years and stop having it in the US. I'm sick of it all...
Old 02-19-2010, 10:00 AM

Last night my wife was watching something she had taped -I don't know - the day efore or so. They were showing the women's short-track 500m (or as they seem to call them in speedskating - females!)

Now here are a couple of things I hate. They are showing the heats and narrating them as though it is being done live. Then, they come back from a commercial to say the upcoming heat had already been called back to the start twice, and one skater had been DQed. I got a couple of problems with that. If you are not anouncing it contemporaneous with the damned event, be up front about it. But also, show us the damned false starts/interferences/wipeouts/DQs/whatever. Hell, you had enough time to waste 10-15 minutes on Stephen Colbert goofing around with Costas...

Then, after the prelims had been run and the final 4 was set, you go to break and say you'll be back shortly with the final - and cut to some other event.

Call me when it's over - I'll be downstairs watching UFC unleashed or the old Pride re-runs...
Old 02-20-2010, 07:49 PM
2012 SDMB NFL Salary Cap Champ
Charter Member

I'm damn sick of the commercials. I think the curling has more commercials than football. By the way, did you know that Tom Brokaw is apparently doing a show on the Baby Boomers?
Old 02-20-2010, 10:32 PM

Quote:
(or as they seem to call them in speedskating - females!)
It's been "Ladies" here.... Ladies and Men's speed skating. It strikes me as odd...those words aren't really gender equivalents! But whatever, the ladies have brought home 3 medals so far, we're just waiting on the men now!

When the CBC had the Olympics, I'd occasionally switch to NBC (they've had them for the past few, right? if not, whatever American channel had it). This year, I haven't watched anything that wasn't on one of the Canadian channels. I hope the Olympic Media Coalition or whatever they call themselves, decide to stick around for future years because while there are definite improvements to be made to their format (notably letting us know more often what will come on when, and what's happening on the other channels), this coverage has really been awesome and I've rarely had to see a commercial I wasn't patient enough to sit through. It's fun to have a choice between curling, hockey, figure skating and [insert sport here].