Old 07-25-2008, 04:03 PM

What if Superman and Power Girl became, ah, more than colleagues?

Suggested by this panel from a Pre-Crisis JLA/JSA crossover.

Imagine, if you will, that the JLA's main man suddenly became single--say he arrives half a second too late to save Lois from the villain of the week. Imagine further than both Lana Lang and Lori Lemaris are unable to take advantage of this situation, and that Wonder Woman has returned to her high school girlfriend and thus embarked on an indefinite penis embargo. Imagine further that, after a few years, the JSA's current chairwoman, Kara Zor-L, born in the Earth-2 universe and not exactly any genetic relationship with him, makes a move, and he responds.

How do their colleagues react?

The only two reactions I'm sure about are Wonder Woman (doesn't care in theory, but privately promises to beat Power Girl senseless if she does anything to hurt the grieving Kryptonian) and Supergirl (who spends several months going ew! ew! ew!). Anybody else?

"I'm not emotional. I'm happy. All my enemies are in the same place."
Old 07-25-2008, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

Well, for one thing, all Larry Niven's objections in "Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex" go away. I'm imagining lots of sonic booms, for some reason.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:37 PM

We're definitely doing this thought experiment in a continuity where Power Girl was actually the Earth-2 analog of Supergirl? No Atlantean sorceresses, no post-Crisis weirdness caused by Superboy Prime punching the walls of the dimensional bubble, none of that?

Well, then, judging from Ollie and Dinah's reactions in those panels, there'd be a hell of a lot of jaw-dropping. I think it would be a bit unsettling (especially for Earth-1 Kara), and might take a bit for folks to get used to it.

Then again, Ollie, Dinah, Hal and Barry might just decide to neutralize PG by vibrating her back to Earth-2...
Old 07-25-2008, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay
We're definitely doing this thought experiment in a continuity where Power Girl was actually the Earth-2 analog of Supergirl?
I believe that's the current situation: Power Girl is from Earth-2, which was destroyed in the Crisis, and has had amnesia about her true origins until fairly recently. She was raised by the Golden Age Lois & Clark. Also, tehre are at least some physiological differences between Kryptonians of different worlds, as only kryptonite from their home reality hurts them. I'm not sure she is genetically identical to Supergirl, though I can make an argument either way.

So she and Clark aren't exactly family, and certainly not family emotionally, whereas the Earth-1 Superman and Supergirl were definitely emotionally family. (I'll leave it to others to point out the sometimes skeevy aspects of that relationship; suffice to say that I've always thought Kal-1 was definitely, no two ways about it, in love with Kara-1.)
Old 07-25-2008, 07:20 PM

Well, who else is he gonna hook up with? Mary Marvel? Too jailbait. Wonder Woman? Nope, penis embargo. Supergirl's his cousin, as mentioned. So it's gotta be PG.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love Rhombus
Well, who else is he gonna hook up with? Mary Marvel? Too jailbait. Wonder Woman? Nope, penis embargo. Supergirl's his cousin, as mentioned. So it's gotta be PG.
My god. I hope its not PG. At least PG-13, XXX if possible.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:54 PM

I'm convinced that if she ever actually unleashes those things, they'd even knock Superman into the next county...
Old 07-25-2008, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay
I'm convinced that if she ever actually unleashes those things, they'd even knock Superman into the next county...

Infinite Cleavage Crisis?
Old 07-26-2008, 01:51 AM

Finally, Greg Land's tracings would actually be appropriate.