The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 03-19-2013, 09:12 PM

Did Rodney Dangerfield do his own dive in Back to School?

The Triple Lundy

Did Rodney do it or at least parts of it? Wikipedia claims he was a trick diver in his younger days.

Pause the clip at 51 seconds. Is that him?

I'm assuming the sections where the diver lands on the different boards is clever editing? No one could do that? Could they?

Quote:
At the age of 15, he began to write for standup comedians, and began to perform at the age of 20 under the name Jack Roy. He struggled financially for nine years, at one point performing as a singing waiter until he was fired, and also working as a performing acrobatic diver before giving up show business to take a job selling aluminum siding to support his wife and family.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodney_Dangerfield

Last edited by aceplace57; 03-19-2013 at 09:15 PM..
Advertisements  
Old 03-19-2013, 09:44 PM

Can not be a chance in hell that he actually did it. Very careful editing (well, 80's style) designed to make sure it keeps cutting away from his face in the giveaway.

Plus considering his age and fitness level when that movie was made, I'd be surprised if he actually climbed up to the top of the diving platform.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:51 PM
Charter Member

I haven't seen the movie in a long time but my recollection is that the editing wasn't even that good. I can believe they got him to jump up on a diving board to put the sequence together but there is no way that the actual dive as a whole was real.

Has anyone ever done a Triple-lLndy? I don't even think that is a real dive. I have never seen a diving pool with multiple boards that is set up for it to be possible. Regular divers could get hurt or killed.

Here is the sequence for people that don't know what we are referring to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DnRso9UGkA

It is obviously fake

Last edited by Shagnasty; 03-19-2013 at 09:52 PM..
Old 03-19-2013, 09:57 PM

Sure, the part where the diver lands on different boards is fake.

I always assumed it was three dives edited into one sequence.

The parts where the diver is tucked in a ball holding his legs is the part I thought might be Rodney. I've seen middle aged guys diving at public pools. Just horsing around. Diving is like riding a bike. If you learn it young then you don't forget how.

Last edited by aceplace57; 03-19-2013 at 09:58 PM..
Old 03-19-2013, 11:19 PM

Of course it is fake. I am not a diver, but since when do they mount a springboard directly below the highest platform? And, when he lands on the 2nd springboard, why isn't the 1st springboard still bouncing? Clever editing.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:27 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Moderating: Moved thread GQ->CS

[moderating]
Moved movie question from General Questions to Cafe Society.
[/moderating]
Old 03-19-2013, 11:38 PM

No respect at all.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:47 PM

The boards aren't bouncing in subsequent shots and then it looks like one of the boards is missing in the final bounce of the final dive.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowthx View Post
Of course it is fake. I am not a diver, but since when do they mount a springboard directly below the highest platform? And, when he lands on the 2nd springboard, why isn't the 1st springboard still bouncing? Clever editing.
Define 'clever.'
Old 03-20-2013, 01:02 AM

Of course there's editing involved but the pieces put together are of a real diver doing some very difficult maneuvers. Either Rodney retained his chops from his younger days or (more likely) make-up did a remarkable job on a stunt double with a very Dangerfieldesque physique.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:07 AM

Three boards is totally out of the question. I'm not sure about diving off 2 boards.

Do the champion springboard divers like Greg Louganis ever jump off one board and bounce off another one? Seems like that would be a easy way to shatter the bones in your feet or break a leg.

I'm not saying it couldn't be done. I've seen extreme stuff done in the X Games that looked physically impossible. But, extreme sports means extreme injuries. Like Lindsey Vonn's shattered knee. She's darn lucky her entire leg and pelvis wasn't shattered.

Last edited by aceplace57; 03-20-2013 at 02:10 AM..
Old 03-20-2013, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary "Wombat" Robson View Post
[moderating]
Moved movie question from General Questions to Cafe Society.
[/moderating]
Hey everybody, we're all gonna get laid!
Old 03-20-2013, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagnasty View Post
Has anyone ever done a Triple-lLndy? I don't even think that is a real dive. I have never seen a diving pool with multiple boards that is set up for it to be possible. Regular divers could get hurt or killed.
The boards look exactly like they do around me except for the first spring board. He first goes off the 10 meter platform to land on a spring board that's on a 5 meter platform, I've never seen that before. The two 3 meter spring boards near me are pretty close together, not sure if anyone would be crazy enough to go between them, but they are somewhat close together.

I like how he does the underarm fart to warm up.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagnasty View Post

Has anyone ever done a Triple-lLndy? I don't even think that is a real dive.
Gee, ya think? The whole point of the Triple Lindy is that it's too ridiculous to be a real dive. It's just a joke.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:37 AM

In It's Not Easy Bein' Me Dangerfield writes:

Quote:
I got lots of funny letters from kids after that movie. Here's one of my favorites.

Hi Rodney. My name is Tom O'Malley. I'm 10 years old. In the movie Back To School you did a dive, the Triple Lindy. I say you really did that dive. My mother says you didn't. Who's right?

I wrote back. I said, "Tom, listen to your mama"

Last edited by don't ask; 03-20-2013 at 09:38 AM..
Old 03-20-2013, 09:55 AM

Does anybody have the Back to School: Extra-Curricular Edition DVD?

Quote:
The six-minute featurette "Dissecting the Triple Lindy" discusses the film's standout diving sequence from concept to execution with prostheses and two stunt doubles (who are both heard from).
Old 03-20-2013, 10:40 AM

How about the uncut segment of the single backflip off a springboard landing again on the same board?
Old 03-20-2013, 10:46 AM

I haven't seen the movie in 20 years, but I remember it being VERY obvious, even with trick editing, that the guy doing the dive was a much younger, fitter, buffer man than Rodney.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astorian View Post
I haven't seen the movie in 20 years, but I remember it being VERY obvious, even with trick editing, that the guy doing the dive was a much younger, fitter, buffer man than Rodney.
Really? Check out the link in post #3. I think they did a great job of making the double look like Rodney.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:57 AM

The stunt-diver does look a lot like Dangerfield, they did a good job with that. However, it's pretty obvious that he has a lot flatter stomach than Rodney... Check him out at the top of the board, he has a decent paunch/belly and the diver, though a bit thick maybe, doesn't have that same bulging middle.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriah View Post
Define 'clever.'
Heck, the exterior scenes of the movie were all filmed at my school (University of Wisconsin-Madison) while I was attending, in the fall of '85. A couple of the shots were filmed in front of my dorm.

All of the exterior scenes, that is, except for the diving competition, which was pretty clearly filmed someplace else, entirely -- the trees are all wrong (IMDB suggests it was somewhere in southern California). Not so clever.

Last edited by kenobi 65; 03-20-2013 at 12:13 PM..
Old 03-21-2013, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward The Head View Post
I like how he does the underarm fart to warm up.
And we found the film's audience!
Old 03-21-2013, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriah View Post
And we found the film's audience!
I respect a good underarm fart.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmer J. Fudd View Post
Of course there's editing involved but the pieces put together are of a real diver doing some very difficult maneuvers.
The only difficult maneuver was the last, uncut, shot of doing a back flip and dive off the springboard. Every other shot was a sideways jump off the springboard with a bunch of rotations. Any stuntman could jump off a board and rotate, the difficulty is controlling it for a precise entry into the pool, which was totally unnecessary given the way the shot is cut.

The jumps from board to board are completely fake, it's the angle and focus of the shot that makes the second board appear close to the action, it's actually completely out of the way of the stuntman's jump.