Old 10-15-2017, 08:29 PM
Charter Member

Any takers on what killed Tom Petty?

No disrespect intended. I was a big fan. And many years ago was an acquaintance.

But my Father-in-law owned a nightclub back in the 80's that Tom frequented when he was in this area. And man, that boy liked his nose candy.

Gotta wonder if he did a John Entwistle.

Just saying.*

*I hate that term.

William Stranix
Old 10-15-2017, 08:32 PM
Charter Member

Col. Mustard in the Billiard Room with the candlestick.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:46 PM

Sex? Probably not. Rock 'n Roll? Probably not. Now, what was that other thing?
Old 10-15-2017, 09:58 PM

I'd say general heart failure.

Smoking, drinking, red meat, a little blow, a little old, a little out of shape... Too much sitting on the tour bus, sitting in the studio etc
Old 10-15-2017, 10:00 PM
Charter Member

Entwistle died of a cocaine induced heart attack.
Petty was a lifetime smoker. As I said in the other thread, I'd be willing to bet he still dabbled in cocaine, but if I had to guess, probably not near enough to kill him on it's own.

Assuming what we've heard is true, that it was a cardiac arrest and also assuming that it wasn't something "non-preventable" like a random blood clot or undiagnosed disease...IOW, if I had to guess, I'd guess it was due to smoking, maybe exasperated by a bit of cocaine use.

Further, if he hasn't used heroin since the 90's, I doubt that would have anything to do with it.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:22 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

nm

Last edited by blondebear; 10-15-2017 at 10:23 PM.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:26 PM

Someone flew an airplane into him, but they covered it up. Skull & Bones is behind this. The evidence is undeniable. Wake up, sheeple.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:28 PM

Bad protoplasm.

On a serious note, he was 66 years old, and sudden cardiac death is NOT uncommon in men that age.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:33 PM

Slipping on pee pee at the Costco would be my guess.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
On a serious note, he was 66 years old, and sudden cardiac death is NOT uncommon in men that age.
^ This.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:17 AM

And he sadly had a DNR; maybe they could have saved him.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
And he sadly had a DNR; maybe they could have saved him.
Not to be crude, but saved him for what? By the time CPR was started, it was already too late. His brain was dead from a lack of oxygen being circulated through his bloodstream.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:54 AM
Charter Member

If he had a DNR he didn't want to be saved. And that's usually indicative of Something Wrong. What? I dunno, and you know, rock stars are as entitled to medical privacy as anyone else.

In actual fact, though, CPR is rarely successful. Better than doing nothing, of course, but the number of instances where anyone is saved is low, and even lower for having a meaningful life afterward. I'm not sure either Mr. Petty or the rest of us would have gained anything if he had been "revived" only to wind up in a persistent vegetative state or something of the sort.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
If he had a DNR he didn't want to be saved. And that's usually indicative of Something Wrong. What? I dunno, and you know, rock stars are as entitled to medical privacy as anyone else.

In actual fact, though, CPR is rarely successful. Better than doing nothing, of course, but the number of instances where anyone is saved is low, and even lower for having a meaningful life afterward. I'm not sure either Mr. Petty or the rest of us would have gained anything if he had been "revived" only to wind up in a persistent vegetative state or something of the sort.
But they could try and if indeed he was in a vegetative state.....unless the person is suicidal I do believe that initial steps should be taken to save a life. If those efforts are futile, then definitely allow the person to die.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I agree. It's not at all uncommon for somebody who is older and generally out of shape to have a heart when they suddenly exert themselves. Petty had his heart attack just as he was completing a concert tour.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:51 AM

Just to clarify, Petty did not have a heart attack. He went into cardiac arrest, a completely different condition. A heart attack is caused by a blockage in an artery supplying blood to the heart. The heart can keep beating during a heart attack. A heart attack can start slowly and progress over a period of several days.

Cardiac arrest is caused when the portion of the brain responsible for regulating the heartbeat malfunctions, causing the heart to fibrillate. It usually onsets without warning and stops the heart swiftly.

A heart attack can lead to cardiac arrest, but the two are not the same thing. A heart attack is a circulatory problem, and sudden cardiac arrest is an electrical problem.

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Condit...sp#mainContent
Old 10-16-2017, 04:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
In actual fact, though, CPR is rarely successful. Better than doing nothing, of course, but the number of instances where anyone is saved is low

This is true. I've heard numbers as low as 5%. I've been a first responder since '82 and never brought anyone back in the field (I'm talking about straight CPR, not the defibrillator. The save ratio on that is much higher).

For the most part CPR is just a show for onlookers and family/friends who are crying and screaming for you to do something. It does keep some oxygenated blood circulating until the victim can be transported to a medical facility. But almost always by then it is too late.

William Stranix
Old 10-16-2017, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

I suspect CPR is most useful for hearts that stop due to some immediate trauma in relatively young, healthy people. Not some much for people whose problem is a bad ticker or dying of a terminal illness of some sort. Don't know if that's ever been studied or not so I don't have have any cites for that, just that it seems logical to me.

If anyone does have solid stats I'd be interested.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

When a person goes into cardiac arrest, they might maybe be rescued with CPR if it is done within five minutes. Petty was alone and not found for hours.

I predicted five years ago that rock stars will be dropping like flies from a combination of age and the drugs. It's starting to happen.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

The DNR might just have been from the rock ethos of "live fast, die young, and leave a beautiful corpse". Though admittedly 66 is already a bit old for "fast, young, and beautiful".

And CPR never saves anyone. What it does, when it works, is to buy a little bit of time for something else (usually defibrillation) to save them. It's becoming better at that, nowadays, because less time is needed now: It used to be that you had to wait for the paramedics to arrive with a defibrillator, but now there are portable ones all over the place that can be used by bystanders with almost no training (basically, put both pads on the person, not touching each other, with the heart in between them, and then follow the spoken directions from the machine).
Old 10-16-2017, 10:21 AM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

I heard an interview he did with Terri Gross. She mentioned that someone torched his house several years ago. Are there any theories as to who and or why?
Old 10-16-2017, 01:02 PM

He lived hard and died at 66. That's not an all too uncommon age for someone who lived hard to die.

If anything, all these hard living musicians surviving into their 60s and 70s is a testament to the resiliency of the human body.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
I predicted five years ago that rock stars will be dropping like flies from a combination of age and the drugs. It's starting to happen.
I admire your courageousness for going out on a limb like that ...
Old 10-16-2017, 01:50 PM

As is often the case, the real question here is "How is Keith Richards still alive?"
Old 10-16-2017, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crybaby Boobie View Post
As is often the case, the real question here is "How is Keith Richards still alive?"
Snorting his Father's ashes gave him immortality.

This forum requires that you wait 60 seconds between posts. Please try again in 1 seconds.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

nm

Last edited by Earl Snake-Hips Tucker; 10-16-2017 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Eh. . . never mind. . . ninjaed.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
Petty was a lifetime smoker. As I said in the other thread, I'd be willing to bet he still dabbled in cocaine, but if I had to guess, probably not near enough to kill him on it's own.
Petty was also a longtime marijuana smoker. I'm not a doctor, nor am I a marijuana expert, so I have no idea if marijuana usage can contribute to heart issues, but if his substance use may have contributed to his death, it might be worth mentioning.

From a widely quoted interview with Rolling Stone in 2013:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Petty
I don't have a prescription card, but I'm certain I've smoked some medical marijuana, yeah. It's everywhere. I don't smoke as much pot as I did at one point in my life. But I think the cat's out of the bag, and it's gonna be legalized. If you're gonna sell liquor, you have to sell pot. Liquor's worse for you. I don't think pot's addictive — I never felt like I had to have it, you know. Actually, no, I take that back (laughs). But it is safer than alcohol.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Many of the negative effects from smoking are from the smoke itself, and inhaling any sort of smoke will cause similar problems. So, yeah, there are health risks to smoking marijuana. But he probably smoked a lot more tobacco than pot.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:14 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

One thing not mentioned yet is Tom fractured his hip at some point before(?) the tour. Don't know if he was taking painkillers or not to get through the gigs. But the injury must have added a non-trivial amount of physical stress to what was already a pretty demanding workload for those 54 shows.

Last edited by blondebear; 10-16-2017 at 04:15 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:34 PM

I don't doubt that years of drug abuse PROBABLY took a bit of a toll on his ticker. So sad...
Old 10-16-2017, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
I heard an interview he did with Terri Gross. She mentioned that someone torched his house several years ago. Are there any theories as to who and or why?
Here's a story about it. It happened in 1987, and no arrests were ever made.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/tom-petty-house-fire/

Last edited by nearwildheaven; 10-16-2017 at 06:16 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:21 PM

I'm going with "acute cardio-respiratory failure".
Old 10-16-2017, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Here's a story about it. It happened in 1987, and no arrests were ever made.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/tom-petty-house-fire/
Thanks!
Old 10-16-2017, 09:21 PM
Charter Member

Tom Petty was almost exactly two months younger than I. I always pay attention to white guys my age dropping dead with no warning. The years of drug abuse always figure in, even if you got off the smack years ago… ooh, ooh, the damage done
But what I see, and I would really like a report of the autopsy, he hadn't been to a doctor in forever, and, if he had, was in denial of his BP and cholesterol. He was totally congested and died at an appropriate age for someone in that condition. Again, I'm not saying, but I would really like to know.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
He lived hard and died at 66. That's not an all too uncommon age for someone who lived hard to die.

If anything, all these hard living musicians surviving into their 60s and 70s is a testament to the resiliency of the human body.
Here's what I really don't get, Wesley: Do these dopers who despair about Petty dying young not realize that the universe is about 14.5 billion years old? We are all dying young. The real question is, "Was it worth it?"

I would answer, "When my back isn't killing me, it was definitely worth it."

IIRC, you have your own health issues to deal with. You know pain. So I would say, "He experienced the gamut of human experience. What more could one want?"

-----don't answer that. I do wonder if I were the Supreme Being, could I come up with a better system . I don't know. Enjoy your short life; it's all you have.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:36 AM

I have no right to an opinion as to what killed Tom Petty.

But whereas twenty years ago, I assumed drugs were the cause whenever a rock star died... well, nowadays, my favorite rockers are plenty old enough to die of prostate cancer, diabetes, heart attacks, strokes and all the usual geriatric issues.