Old 11-21-2017, 12:07 AM
Chicago Savant

Avoiding rhinoviruses

The last three times I've flown to East Asia, I got a bad runny nose cold three or four days later. This makes me think it's from viruses I'm getting on the plane, but I guess it could be things I'm touching once I get to Tokyo or Bangkok.

Anyone have practical advice on what I can do to avoid this problem? I can do my best to touch very little on the plane with my right hand—and try to never touch my eyes or nose—but are rhinoviruses primarily airborne instead? I've never cared for the alcohol-based hand sanitizers, but I'll reconsider if there's something showing they're actually effective against cold viruses.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:35 AM

Get the brand called 'Air-born', apparently it's a supplement that protects your from viruses. I've heard teachers and nurses swear by it. I have never tried it. Let us know if it works.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 11-21-2017 at 01:35 AM.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:39 AM

I misspelled the supplement. It's 'Air-borne'.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
I misspelled the supplement. It's 'Air-borne'.
Isn't that just a high dose of vitamin C? With no actual proof of efficacy? We don't much go for that kind of quackery around here.

OP, the common-sense advice is just that: common-sense, like you said. As well as washing your hands and face often, use a saline sinus rinse or neti-pot, and keep hydrated on the plane and in the heat. (Limit booze and stick to water). If you're seated next to someone obviously contagious (sneezing/coughing/etc) ask to be moved, and/or wear a facemask. And ask your germy neighbour too as well.

Have a great trip.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:05 AM
Charter Member

I have had very similar experiences, it totally sucks to be sick AND have jet Lag!

Here’s what I do now: carry disinfectant wipes in your hand luggage, as soon as you board wipe everything you’re going to touch. The touch screen, the arm rest, the recline button. Next, NEVER touch the inflight mags. EVER.

Also carry hand sanitizer and use it after every bathroom visit, or if you touch anything you forgot to wipe down. On arrival use an aerosol saline nose rinse. ( can carry on as it’s medicine!)

( currently in SEAsia, three out of eight flights in, without illness. Sounds a lot but it’s pretty easy, give it a try. And Good Luck! )

Last edited by elbows; 11-21-2017 at 03:06 AM.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:16 AM

Vitamins are not quackery. Don't be silly.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:06 AM

Hand sanitizers help, and they will kill off the bacteria; but they are not as good against viruses as washing properly with soap and water.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:18 AM

Quote:
of course not, but the issue with vitamin C bombs is that they're supposed to "boost" immune system function. Yet the symptoms of a cold are your immune system going batshit crazy over a relatively harmless virus.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:48 AM

Orac on Airborne.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:59 AM

Quote:
There is zero scientific evidence that Airborne protects against colds or shortens the duration of illness. The makers of the product paid $30 million to settle false advertising claims.

On the plus side, it is unlikely Airborne will harm you.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:35 AM

There seems to be some sort of obsession in various Asian countries of wearing facial masks in public places. Even if the need to prevent airborne particles isn't that important, not touching shared surfaces and then touching mucous membranes without a hand washing can be prevented by the mask.

And I mention the cultural meme above because I believe in Asia, your appearance won't be too out of place. Here in the US, they have masks in Emergency rooms, ostensibly to use if you think you need one, but when a child put one on, "Just for fun", the OR nurse asked her to "Not scare people." So, YMMV.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Wait, you're calling ME silly? When you're the one suggesting an unproven supplement? And you have, at best, second-hand anecdotal evidence of its efficacy?

Our tagline here is "Fighting ignorance." In this post-truth era, it's more important than ever to stand up for science.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:33 PM
Charter Member

Please tell me I'm not the only one who initially read the thread as "Avoiding rhinoceroses."

(About which: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=104057)
Old 11-21-2017, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by araminty View Post
Wait, you're calling ME silly? When you're the one suggesting an unproven supplement? And you have, at best, second-hand anecdotal evidence of its efficacy?

Our tagline here is "Fighting ignorance." In this post-truth era, it's more important than ever to stand up for science.
I haven t tried the 'Air-borne' brand. But I do take vitamin C in large doses. I have had great success with it, I am around schools and children a bunch, as we all know schools are like petrie dishes full of viruses and germs. I rarely get colds. Now if I could find a way to prevent my allergies I would be a happy camper. I do agree avoidance is probably best, but OP said he was washing his hands and trying not to touch where germs might be. I was trying to give him another way, that surely can't hurt and might just help. Jeez, keeping an open mind is not ignorance.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:40 PM

Keeping an open mind is not the same as uncritically accepting every unverified claim made about a product by the company that's trying to sell it to you. That kind of "open mind" is indeed ignorance.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:41 PM

Quote:
I haven t tried the 'Air-borne' brand. But I do take vitamin C in large doses. I have had great success with it, I am around schools and children a bunch, as we all know schools are like petrie dishes full of viruses and germs. I rarely get colds. Now if I could find a way to prevent my allergies I would be a happy camper. I do agree avoidance is probably best, but OP said he was washing his hands and trying not to touch where germs might be. I was trying to give him another way, that surely can't hurt and might just help. Jeez, keeping an open mind is not ignorance.
Vitamin C is a water soluble vitamin. The majority of what you are ingesting is being disposed of in your urine. Check your urine's pH sometime.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:55 PM

Anyone ever try zinc? Same article links something (hosted on pubmed, but I don't quite know what it is - seems to be meta analysis of several studies). Results:

Quote:
The failure of vitamin C supplementation to reduce the incidence of colds in the normal population indicates that routine mega-dose prophylaxis is not rationally justified for community use. But evidence suggests that it could be justified in people exposed to brief periods of severe physical exercise or cold environments.
Article says
Quote:
The data curve (shown on the right) suggests that zinc may be even more beneficial than they previously estimated. By Day 5, 70% of people taking zinc lozenges had recovered from the common cold, compared to only 27% of people taking placebo.
FTR, I've never tried zinc or vitamin C for colds.

Last edited by Tzigone; 11-21-2017 at 05:57 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:35 PM

We all must learn. My own personal experience tells me vitamin C is beneficial to MY health. Zinc, I 've never tried. I have read about it, and I think it might help. Trying and learning is not ignorance in any way. It may not be your way, but it is mine. There are many medical practices that are only anecdotal, but certainly can help. It won't hurt the OP to try. And if he pees it all out, So be it.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
I do take vitamin C in large doses. I have had great success with it, I am around schools and children a bunch, as we all know schools are like petrie dishes full of viruses and germs. I rarely get colds.
You are also rarely attacked by tigers, abducted by aliens, or turned into a pillar of salt. Truly, Vitamin C is a wonder drug.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:09 PM

Quote:
We all must learn. My own personal experience tells me vitamin C is beneficial to MY health. Zinc, I 've never tried. I have read about it, and I think it might help. Trying and learning is not ignorance in any way. It may not be your way, but it is mine. There are many medical practices that are only anecdotal, but certainly can help. It won't hurt the OP to try. And if he pees it all out, So be it.
I think the point is that the best way to prevent catching a cold is to prevent the responsible virus(es) from getting inside you. e.g. frequent hand-washing, not letting nasty germ-vector kids cough or sneeze in your face, etc. Vitamin C is good for you (and you can't really get too much) but it's not going to prevent infection or shorten the duration of symptoms. once the cold virus (rhinovirus) gets into your soft tissues, it's done.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:13 PM

Gotcha!
Old 11-21-2017, 09:17 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Medical advice is best suited to IMHO.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator
Old 11-21-2017, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
Please tell me I'm not the only one who initially read the thread as "Avoiding rhinoceroses."
You're missing the point here. To avoid rhinoviruses, you need to avoid rhinoceroses. In East Asia, where OP keeps catching this (especially in S. E. Asia, I think), that can be challenging.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:02 AM

Quote:
It won't hurt the OP to try. And if he pees it all out, So be it.
Unless he experiences diarrhea (common with megadoses of vitamin C), or kidney stones. Yeah, he'll just pee out the stones, no harm.