The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 05-25-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finagle View Post
Coors, the beer of cheating losers.
Truth in advertising?

Pudding face. Gross.

Talking Hot Pockets. Causes me to have flashbacks to the bicycle accident that put a big gash in my leg.

Toyota brat. Makes me wanna go Highlander on his punk ass.

iPad/iPhone/iWhatever music. Tinkly, repetitive, annoying, can't-hit-mute-fast-enough-will-never-buy-'cause-I-hate-the-ad.
Advertisements  
Old 05-25-2011, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infovore View Post
I find myself completely powerless against turning to the spouse at some point during that commercial and yelling, "Cat shit!"

He's used to it, just like I'm used to him saying "15% or moron car insurance" every time the Geico commercial comes on.
They both work so well!
Old 05-25-2011, 10:45 PM

The beer commercials (I think it's Michelob but I don't fuckin' know) for the 64-calorie beer where A) the dude's doing squats to burn off all the extra calories from his shitty beer, B) the other person in the party gets "64 calories of [insert other drink here]", or C) the newest one, where the dude gets 64 calories of some martini and starts inserting some shit about "I HAVE BIG HANDS, I'M SO MANLY."

First of all, the last one's just plain fucking stupid--guys who are so insecure in their masculinity that they can't even order a damned drink without assigning a gender role to it are fucking tools. Second of all, anyone who gives me "64 calories" of anything is going to end up picking shards of glass out of their eyes. And third of all, if you're that concerned about calories, YOU SHOULDN'T BE FUCKING DRINKING.

Oh, actually, here's a fourth thing: if the bulk of your advertising campaign is "less calories than other beers!", then there's something seriously wrong with your product. Alcoholic drink ads should never have to resort to the "it's healthy!!" angle.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:47 PM

How about this commercial for the Dodge Ram Laramie Longhorn:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cM4Rd...layer_embedded

How far gone would you have to be to want to play cowboys like that? Also, if you watch closely, you'll see that the guy has the truck parked in his living room.

Last edited by Manduck; 05-25-2011 at 10:47 PM..
Old 05-25-2011, 10:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manduck View Post
How about this commercial for the Dodge Ram Laramie Longhorn:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cM4Rd...layer_embedded

How far gone would you have to be to want to play cowboys like that? Also, if you watch closely, you'll see that the guy has the truck parked in his living room.
Unless that's actually the garage.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:54 PM

I just saw one for Vagisil, which. lets face it, there's no way to make a commercial for that product that doesn't bring unpleasant visions to mind. In this one, the sufferer is a bride on her wedding day It made me think of that wedding scene in "Sixteen Candles" where the church overhears the mother saying the bride has her period and the snarky little brother says "should make for an interesting honeymoon".
Old 05-25-2011, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runner pat View Post
Unless that's actually the garage.
In that case his garage has a fireplace, a couple of easy chairs, and a table lamp in it, as well as some artwork on the walls.

ETA: Oh yeah, and a truck that is tricked out to look like saddle leather so he can pretend he's riding a horsey, just like a for real cowboy.

Last edited by Manduck; 05-25-2011 at 11:04 PM..
Old 05-26-2011, 07:18 AM
Charter Member

Another one: the "Zyrtec makes you talk to inanimate objects" genre. (If the inanimate objects talk back, consult your physician. If the inanimate objects tell you to start cleaning the guns, consult your psychiatrist.)
Old 05-26-2011, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manduck View Post
In that case his garage has a fireplace, a couple of easy chairs, and a table lamp in it, as well as some artwork on the walls.

ETA: Oh yeah, and a truck that is tricked out to look like saddle leather so he can pretend he's riding a horsey, just like a for real cowboy.
And I can see some crazy, rich Texan building a garage like that.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

I hate the insurance commercials (sorry, don’t know the company) that show some person out in public being obnoxiously, outrageously happy…shrieking, whooping, dancing…while other people shy away warily. Then there is a black screen with the words, “five minutes ago”. Then you see obnoxious person on the phone, saying, “I can save how much on my car insurance?”

The only saving grace of these commercials is that in the version with the female, during the phone scene, the world’s ugliest lamp is visible on a table behind her.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve MB View Post
These people never heard of Rule 34?

2. The commercials for BeenParanoid -- er, BeenVerified -- that warn you that anybody you don't know personally is probably a neo-Nazi al-Qaeda rapist axe murderer.
Holy crap in a sidecar, I want to punch the "nobody comes around my growing family without a background check" bitch right in the throat.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turek View Post
Holy crap in a sidecar, I want to punch the "nobody comes around my growing family without a background check" bitch right in the throat.
You, but you'd have to get a background check first to get close enough.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skara_Brae View Post
Here, here! I hate that smug little kid too. (He also is in dire need of a haircut).

God forbid you have to talk to your parents/children while in the car. I don't know how I survived all those family trips growing up!
This is the one I came in to mention, but I see others have got there first. that kid is such a snot, and the message he's pushing is "you have to have good stuff to be cool, the more stuff the better"
Old 05-26-2011, 02:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiira View Post
The beer commercials (I think it's Michelob but I don't fuckin' know) for the 64-calorie beer where A) the dude's doing squats to burn off all the extra calories from his shitty beer, B) the other person in the party gets "64 calories of [insert other drink here]", or C) the newest one, where the dude gets 64 calories of some martini and starts inserting some shit about "I HAVE BIG HANDS, I'M SO MANLY."

First of all, the last one's just plain fucking stupid--guys who are so insecure in their masculinity that they can't even order a damned drink without assigning a gender role to it are fucking tools. Second of all, anyone who gives me "64 calories" of anything is going to end up picking shards of glass out of their eyes. And third of all, if you're that concerned about calories, YOU SHOULDN'T BE FUCKING DRINKING.

Oh, actually, here's a fourth thing: if the bulk of your advertising campaign is "less calories than other beers!", then there's something seriously wrong with your product. Alcoholic drink ads should never have to resort to the "it's healthy!!" angle.
I would also imagine that you need to drink 3 of the mollyfocking 64 calorie "beers" to equal the alcohol contained in 1 regular beer, so if you enjoy the effects of alcohol (and not just the taste of shitty, mass produced, EXTREMELY watered down beer) you will be drinking 3X the volume of liquid for the same buzz, and paying 3X as much for the privilege...
Old 05-29-2011, 10:38 AM

I really HATE the V8 Fusion ad that says something like, "Do you ever wish vegetables didn't taste quite so 'vegetably?'" and shows this guy dipping broccoli into dip and licking it off. He has several florets on his plate that he's already licked. Grrross! Look, you nasty a-hole, if you don't like broccoli, DON'T PUT IT ON YOUR PLATE. You ain't foolin' anyone with your plateful of soggy, spitty greens--but you ARE certain to remain dateless for the rest of your days, Saliva Boy.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPB in Salt Lake View Post
I would also imagine that you need to drink 3 of the mollyfocking 64 calorie "beers" to equal the alcohol contained in 1 regular beer, so if you enjoy the effects of alcohol (and not just the taste of shitty, mass produced, EXTREMELY watered down beer) you will be drinking 3X the volume of liquid for the same buzz, and paying 3X as much for the privilege...
Miller Genuine Draft 4.7%
Miller Genuine Draft 64 (MGD 64) 2.8%
Miller Genuine Draft Light 4.2%

From here.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse View Post
I really HATE the V8 Fusion ad that says something like, "Do you ever wish vegetables didn't taste quite so 'vegetably?'" and shows this guy dipping broccoli into dip and licking it off. He has several florets on his plate that he's already licked. Grrross! Look, you nasty a-hole, if you don't like broccoli, DON'T PUT IT ON YOUR PLATE. You ain't foolin' anyone with your plateful of soggy, spitty greens--but you ARE certain to remain dateless for the rest of your days, Saliva Boy.
Why are you obsessed with what is on someone else's plate? It's not like you have to eat it, or he was double-dipping; the dip IS ON HIS PLATE. I may not like the way you chew your food, or pronounce 'potato', but that doesn't justify pretending like it is a hideous social faux pas.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:08 PM

There's a new one where this couple screams at the top of their lungs for like 10 seconds (no idea what they are selling). At least it gives my mute button reflexes a new kind of workout.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:59 PM

Sweet mother of God, pudding face. Slap some whiteface and lipstick on that guy and he'd look just like the Joker.

Also I hate with a hateful hatred those Jello pudding commercials for their "pudding made just for adults" (I mean what the hell, is it made out of booze and Astroglide or something?) where the mother is scaring the shit out of her kids about the beast that kills naughty kids who steal their parents' sacred pudding... then the "beast" father runs up screaming to just about give them cardiac arrest.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
Why are you obsessed with what is on someone else's plate? It's not like you have to eat it, or he was double-dipping; the dip IS ON HIS PLATE. I may not like the way you chew your food, or pronounce 'potato', but that doesn't justify pretending like it is a hideous social faux pas.

It wasn't the double-dipping (which I never mentioned) that was so disgusting. It was his using several pieces of food that he was not eating at all, just to lick the dip from and then placing them--now soggy--on his plate. Why bother? If you want to eat dip, eat dip. Use a spoon. But why have several food items on your plate that you have no intention of eating and being gross with them to boot? YUCK.

And if I was chewing my food with my mouth open and slurping my drink, that WOULD be a hideous social faux pas. There ARE standards for public dining behavior, like it or not. Bad table manners are not the same as word pronunciation.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
Similarly, I am confused about why people are so put off by this guy. I mean, it's not like those shoes are on your feet. Get a grip, people.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:11 PM

Most of mine have been mentioned, but I'll that the Hillshire Farms' commercials make me nuts.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salinqmind View Post
I wonder about this one. It sounds like they are trying to come across as a very worried, concerned relative who wants you to start taking your health concerns seriously, like a loving big brother or big sister might, sitting down at your kitchen table for a heart to heart. Having no concerned big brothers or sisters who want me to get serious about my health (or anyone else for that matter ) - I'm still wondering why they think an imaginary relative that I don't have is going to make me look into getting their magic potion. It just makes me...sad.
My impression is that they aren't talking directly to you, like you are their loved one, but rather we are witnessing the video they sent their loved one to convince him/her to take his/her own situation more seriously. Oh, and by the way, if this applies to you, consider the message for yourself. YMMV.

Quote:
What does WHOOOSH sound like? That's the point. They're showing someone doing something douchy and telling you it is douchy. You're supposed to laugh at and hate on the guy, and then realize you've done the same thing and look sheepish and by V8.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:43 PM

"We now offer phone service for a dollar seventy a month".
I'm sick of listening to that guy.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
What does WHOOOSH sound like? That's the point. They're showing someone doing something douchy and telling you it is douchy. You're supposed to laugh at and hate on the guy, and then realize you've done the same thing and look sheepish and by V8.
Oh, I got that. Just like all the ads that make people who don't use Product X look like a spastic monkey on crack, incapable of the simplest functions.

It's still gross.

Last edited by Chanteuse; 05-30-2011 at 07:53 PM..
Old 05-30-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
This is the one I came in to mention, but I see others have got there first. that kid is such a snot, and the message he's pushing is "you have to have good stuff to be cool, the more stuff the better"
Everyone hates that snotty little brat and his high-class automobile tastes. I feel like that whole series of commercials must be backfiring on whatever car company made them (I can't even remember - great advertising!).

It reminds me of the long series of Canadian Tire ads featuring 'The Canadian Tire Guy', an insufferably smug git who proudly bragged about everything he owned all the time. Everybody seemed to hate that guy and his commercials (upon googling I even found this rather vicious article about him). And yet they still ran them for years. How much does it take for these companies to learn?

I know the answer is usually "any publicity is good publicity", but I find that hard to believe.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:32 PM
Charter Member

I can't believe no one has mentioned the Bing ads, with "search overload". I can't change the channel fast enough.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:25 PM
Charter Member

Gerber Commercial with a weird, scary baby juggling.
Somehow they managed to take a perfectly cute baby and special effect it deep into the really terrifying part of the uncanny valley.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

The current batch of Aleve commercials -- could they at least specify whether Aleve is pre-tailored to people who are already too stupid to count higher than two, or whether the drug causes brain damage as a side effect?
Old 05-31-2011, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turek View Post
And B**nV*rifi*d has been reported on some sites as a scam. Some have suggested Identity theft, but one solid complaint is the fact that they offer a "free 7 day trial" but insist upon a CC number anyway. Even when you cancel- suprise, you get billed anyway. About $100. They make it very hard to cancel and harder to get a refund- according to various on-line reporting.

Their data also seems to be either something anyone can get by using Google or unreliable. Reportedly, anyway.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:25 PM
Charter Member

The Dr. Scholl's gel commercial featuring the GIANT, WRITHING FOOT being massaged by some woman in a darkened room. It makes me gag.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:34 PM

I'm not going to look for any of them, but any of the Keystone Light beer commercials with that mulleted redneck Keith Stone. He's about as smooth as ten miles of potholes. If I were in the target audience for that brand of beer, I would be ashamed to drink anything that had that ignorant character associated with it.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
I'm not going to look for any of them, but any of the Keystone Light beer commercials with that mulleted redneck Keith Stone. He's about as smooth as ten miles of potholes. If I were in the target audience for that brand of beer, I would be ashamed to drink anything that had that ignorant character associated with it.
I was just at the store, picking up some cheap beer for the week, when I saw Keystone Light on sale for $7.99 for an 18-pack (around here at least, that's pretty fucking cheap!!!) but I couldn't quite force myself to do it, as there are some things more important than saving a few bucks....

(I also haven't been to Subway since they started running the commercials with the "little kid" voices dubbed on to the office workers)
Old 05-31-2011, 10:37 PM

ATT Samsung commercial where a gal and 2 guys sit down for lunch and one of the guys puts his phone down with a picture of a tarantula.

Terrified the girl screams and one of the guys swats the phone with his shoe.

I don't care for screaming too much.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazle Weatherfield View Post
The Steak 'N Shake Hat.
The McDonald's Lemon.
Also, "don't suffer in silence." Actually, please do.
They I LOVE that McDonald's lemon commercial. Especially when I realized the voice was that of the Sopranos guy, Steve Schirripa.

Last edited by ouryL; 05-31-2011 at 11:40 PM..
Old 06-01-2011, 09:33 AM

The Stormchasers commercial that they run at least 10x per hour on Planet Green/Discovery Channel. The guy is all panicky and shouty, which isn't so bad in itself, but he's interjecting himself into emergency situations with his panicky shoutiness, something that is truly unhelpful. Plus the egregious inclusion of a scared little girl going "daddy?" is pure evil, exploitative bullshit.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep's Phoenix View Post
The Dr. Scholl's gel commercial featuring the GIANT, WRITHING FOOT being massaged by some woman in a darkened room. It makes me gag.
Ugh, yes! I'd forgotten about that one. *Shudder*
Old 06-01-2011, 10:45 AM

I have a special hatred for those Stanley Steemer commercials where Mr. Carpet Obsessed is rambling on ecstatically about all the crud he's had to clean up while his partner just sits and watches in silent horror.

In the latest one he's actually spreadeagled facedown on the floor... wonder if he charges extra to clean up after his own "carpetgasm"
Old 06-01-2011, 11:06 AM
Fluorescent Pudding-Brain
Charter Member

Quote:
Ugh, yes! I'd forgotten about that one. *Shudder*
Ugh! I notice they don't show the long version anymore, which was even worse (much more of the "masseuse.")
Old 06-01-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfrommensa View Post
ATT Samsung commercial where a gal and 2 guys sit down for lunch and one of the guys puts his phone down with a picture of a tarantula.

That's another one that irritates me. So what are they saying, that they're phone will cause people to go apeshit and want to break the thing?
Old 06-01-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebuck20 View Post
That's another one that irritates me. So what are they saying, that they're phone will cause people to go apeshit and want to break the thing?
The point is that the phone has a super-realistic (I assume high-pixel) screen. The tarantula wallpaper looked so real that the girl and shoe-man thought it was. Thus the screaming and pounding. I agree, though, that the commercial is annoying and stupid.

Last edited by jayjay; 06-01-2011 at 11:52 AM..
Old 06-01-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Arky View Post
The Stormchasers commercial that they run at least 10x per hour on Planet Green/Discovery Channel. The guy is all panicky and shouty, which isn't so bad in itself, but he's interjecting himself into emergency situations with his panicky shoutiness, something that is truly unhelpful. Plus the egregious inclusion of a scared little girl going "daddy?" is pure evil, exploitative bullshit.
OMG. I just watched as much of an episode as I could stomach, and the weenie-ass douchiness was thicker than a wall cloud. I'll bet the locals love all these city slickers running around in their batmobiles on their farm roads.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
The point is that the phone has a super-realistic (I assume high-pixel) screen. The tarantula wallpaper looked so real that the girl and shoe-man thought it was. Thus the screaming and pounding. I agree, though, that the commercial is annoying and stupid.
Yeah, but you have to appreciate the disclaimer -

"Screen Images Simulated"
Old 06-01-2011, 06:05 PM
Charter Member

My new irritating one is the woman who's at the breakfast table with her family, and some workman shows up to tell her that the elevator is out at her building. She says "So I have to walk up 20 flights of stairs in heels? I guess I'd better drink my orange juice!"

Uh, she's still at home - does she *have* to put heels on? Where does she work - Madison Avenue...in 1978? And why can't she just take her damn heels off to go up the stairs?
Old 06-02-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo View Post
My new irritating one is the woman who's at the breakfast table with her family, and some workman shows up to tell her that the elevator is out at her building. She says "So I have to walk up 20 flights of stairs in heels? I guess I'd better drink my orange juice!"

Uh, she's still at home - does she *have* to put heels on? Where does she work - Madison Avenue...in 1978? And why can't she just take her damn heels off to go up the stairs?
Yeah, that bugs me about that whole series. If you find out at breakfast all the events that will make your day purgatory on earth, don't sit there and chug some OJ. Put on flats, leave early to avoid the traffic that will make you late for your meeting, study a few minutes for the math pop quiz etc.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfrommensa View Post

I agree with a lot of these but I cannot DISagree with you more.

I think this commercial is downright hilarious. The way that actress just screams her ever-lovin' head off makes me laugh.

I hate the "Jello Temptations" commercials because all I see in those commercials is horrible parenting.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:37 PM

Kohler. From the farting tuba soundtrack to the marching singing manly-men in their group-poop parade, it's basically just being all cutesy-cutesy about shit. Awful.

Some prescription ad with a shlubby guy who has acid(?) He has to carry a giant beaker of green piss everywhere. Why?
Old 06-02-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beware of Doug View Post
Some prescription ad with a shlubby guy who has acid(?) He has to carry a giant beaker of green piss everywhere. Why?
It represents his case of gout.

The commercial that annoys me is the AT&T one where the wife calls her husband at work as a reminder that today is their anniversary, and of course he, being a shlumpy white male, has forgotten all about it - but, thanks to his iPhone, he can pretend that he hasn't forgotten. Except his tone of voice and constant stammering makes it completely obvious that he HAS forgotten it.

Super annoying commercial. Who does AT&T think is dumber - the guy for forgetting and trying to cover up; the wife, for not noticing his obvious hemming and hawing; or the viewers, for not instantly hitting mute?

Last edited by It's Not Rocket Surgery!; 06-02-2011 at 03:27 PM..
Old 12-26-2011, 09:51 AM

Re: TaxMasters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippy Hollow View Post
Win. This guy's been parodied on SNL and he appears to be a fraud... Still see his monkey ass on TV. Did anyone not tell him, "Dude, you look like a tool. Let's just hire an attractive spokesperson?"

For that matter, that special genre of ambulance chaser lawyer commercial that always feature the socially awkward principal telling you how he will win you a lot of money.
Pat Cox doesn't "appear" to be a fraud. I can assure you from personal knowledge that he is a much bigger fraud than anything you will hear. But to get back to the topic, here is a parody of his awful ads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzDQjpHCC6E
Old 12-26-2011, 10:31 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3IhBf1rWx8

There's a local commercial with some ambulance chaser calling himself the "Texas Hammer". He's loud, annoying, and compares himself to a bull terrier dog. I strongly suspect that if he actually pulled some of those didoes in court in front of a judge, he would be in a holding cell for contempt faster than you could say "Cal Worthington".

Last edited by UFC Is Sux; 12-26-2011 at 10:33 AM.. Reason: Added URL