Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 06:10 PM
Charter Member

good heavens! ms de havilland reads the sdmb!

swoon, thud!!
Old 04-09-2013, 06:14 PM

What Rick said! Also, I'm looking forward to reading the autobiography when it's published!
Old 04-09-2013, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

Come back, Eve! The boards are less for your absence.

StG
Old 04-09-2013, 07:14 PM
BANNED

Come back Melanie!
Old 04-09-2013, 08:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eve View Post
Thanks--once a day or so I just freeze and think "omigod I had demi-tasse with Olivia de Havilland!" and people think I am having a stroke or something.
That sounds like an opportunity to say, "Oh, thank you for your concern. I'm perfectly all right. It may be silly of me, but I was recently invited to brunch with Olivia de Havilland in Paris and . . . "
Old 04-09-2013, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StGermain View Post

StG
I second this.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StGermain View Post

StG
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnut View Post
I second this.
moi aussi
Old 04-10-2013, 05:20 PM

And again, the nations rise in agreement.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
I hope you weren't wearing your "Team Fontaine" shirt.
That would be sooo wrong. and funny.

Eve, that is amazing and I am so happy for you.

Now, you can turn this 45 min. meeting into a screenplay.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yllaria View Post
That sounds like an opportunity to say, "Oh, thank you for your concern. I'm perfectly all right. It may be silly of me, but I was recently invited to brunch with Olivia de Havilland in Paris and . . . "
But, as in your post, you need to casually refer to her as "Livvy-- oh, I really should call her Miss de Havilland..."
Old 04-10-2013, 10:59 PM

Eve, please come back. We need you to class up the joint.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
Does Miss De Havilland read the SDMB? How else could she have known what you said?
Seriously?
Old 04-10-2013, 11:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
Half a block,eh? I think you should be dubbed Iron-will Eve -- they would have heard me in the stairwell.
L'esprit d'escalier, indeed!

Freakin' hell, I spelt it right first time! Those French lessons of 50 years ago must have left some tattered remnant.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:34 AM
Charter Member

I just called Barnes and Noble and found out the John Gilbert book Eve has authored will be released April 18. I'm going in to order a copy today. For what ever reason B&N won't order this particular book without payment up front, I've not run into that before.

I've only seen two of his films, but the man was hot. A pity he died so young.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

I've come back to brag!

Not only do I now own a copy of the bio of John Gilbert that Eve wrote, it's a signed copy, by the author!!!

I ordered the book, it arrived, and I shipped it off to Eve, who had graciously consented to put her John Hancock to it. I got it back yesterday. I'd intended to start reading last night, but with one thing and another, well... that's what Sunday afternoons are for.

I'm going to read it all and give a review sometime when I'm finished.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soylent Juicy View Post
"Melanie"!

Wow, I had no idea that anybody from Gone with the Wind was still alive. What a cool story. Thank you for sharing, Eve.
Had to look it up. It's not beyond the possible that the actress who played Bonnie Blue was still alive.

IMDB says she died in 2010.

Ann Rutherford, who played Carreen, died in 2012.

It appears Alicia Rhett, who played India, is still alive. So is Micky Kuhn (Beau Wilkes), Mary Anderson (Maybelle Merriwether) and Patrick Curtis (Melanie's Baby). There's no information on Kelly Griffin, who played Bonnie Blue as a newborn.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:40 PM
Charter Member

Renifer, you really need to play in the DeathPool with the rest of us sickos. Then you would get all the news of celebrity passings.

I have Alicia Rhett on my list for 2013!
Old 05-30-2013, 10:01 AM

Does Ms Olivia de Havilland make any public appearance in Paris or anywhere in the world?

I know she does not do it frequently due to her age but the fact that you met her in public is still a possibility.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHATCOULDHAVEBEEN View Post
Does Ms Olivia de Havilland make any public appearance in Paris or anywhere in the world?

I know she does not do it frequently due to her age but the fact that you met her in public is still a possibility.
Our Eve is a Hollywood biographer and was invited by Miss de Havilland to her home, so the meeting wasn't "in public".

StG
Old 05-30-2013, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
Does Miss De Havilland read the SDMB? How else could she have known what you said?
I might have mentioned it to her last month over tea.

/I wish
Old 05-30-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
I've come back to brag!

Not only do I now own a copy of the bio of John Gilbert that Eve wrote, it's a signed copy, by the author!!!

I ordered the book, it arrived, and I shipped it off to Eve, who had graciously consented to put her John Hancock to it. I got it back yesterday. I'd intended to start reading last night, but with one thing and another, well... that's what Sunday afternoons are for.

I'm going to read it all and give a review sometime when I'm finished.
The book's being advertised on TCM. I'm all "Hey! I know who that is!" when the ad came on.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:22 PM

Quote:
I did think about bringing her the head of Joan Fontaine on a silver platter, but those things are so hard to get through Customs.
So, Eve... Your window of opportunity is closing. If you want to gift Ms. de Havilland, this holiday season, you'd better hurry...
Old 05-29-2015, 01:32 PM

Goodness!

Quote:
Woo-hoo! She really is one of those great gracious ladies--I brought her flowers, and only after I got home did I read her earlier missed e-mail about "please, no flowers," but when I gave them to her she looked so pleased and said, "oh, these cheer me up so much!" The height of good manners.

As I was sayin' to Brenda and her Greek sailor the other day . . .
Hello! I don't know if this reply will get to you as it's rather late to the game but 'nothing ventured, nothing gained.'

I was honestly ecstatic and envious all at once to hear of your lovely visit with Miss de Havilland. When I was a university student in Paris last year, it was Valentine's Day and as I was far from my family and friends at home, and hadn't met anyone special, I was feeling a bit lonely when I was suddenly struck with inspiration. I have always loved Miss de Havilland and her phenomenal work, especially her towering, commanding performance in The Heiress. Having taken a cinema class at uni, I was reminded of her once again, looked her up, and was so happily surprised that she lives in Paris.

So I went to the local florist in the market near my apartment and bought the loveliest assortment of flowers I could, arranged them myself, wrapped them up, added a card, and made a cross-Paris metro trip to the 16th arrondissement in the rain on Valentine's Day to ring the bell. Of course I had no expectation to actually see her in person, but it simply delighted me to think that I might brighten her day.

I took her a second bouquet later that same year, with a letter this time, expressing my fervent admiration. As it was a letter I did write my return address on it, but I have since left Paris so I suppose even if I were to get a response I wouldn't know, which is disheartening.

Now I worry she isn't that interested in flowers-- or horrors!-- that she is allergic. I certainly hope not. The lovely lady, her housekeeper I presume, who greeted me at the door was very kind, and seemed touched and surprised to see a young man standing on the steps in the rain on Valentine's Day with flowers for her employer. Because of the rain, I was invited into the inner courtyard and we stood under the glass roof over the door for a few minutes, but that was as close as I got, and it was lovely all the same.

I do hope I cheered her up in some way, knowing someone was thinking of her and appreciates her wonderful work after all this time. You are incredibly lucky to have met her and spent time talking openly with her, I am so happy for you and dream of the same... perhaps one day.

Thank you for your story and all the best!
Old 05-29-2015, 08:47 PM

1 July will be Miss Dehaviland's 99th birthday.
Old 07-02-2016, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

And she just hit 100 yesterday! Way to go, Livvie!!!!!!
Old 07-02-2016, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

There have been birthday threads for her already, but when I saw this one I'd hoped Eve had returned, even if it was just the once.
Closed Thread