Old 11-13-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayard View Post
Mitch McConnell says he believes Roy Moore's accusers, and Roy Moore should step aside.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewir...ore-step-aside

If anything, this will probably add fuel to Moore's supporters, who probably see this as a sign their guy must be scaring the establishment. But McConnell also said he was "looking at" engineering a write-in campaign to provide a Republican alternative to Moore. I would imagine Luther Strange is the most likely candidate for that. If this happens, maybe it will split enough votes off from Moore to open up a window for Doug Jones.
Agree: the best shot for a Democrat would be for Moore to stay in the race and face a write-in campaign. The worst thing to happen for Democrats now would be for Moore to drop out.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:17 PM

Roy Moore's wife is trying to collect evidence to prove that Roy's accusers are being paid.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/roy-moore...174009011.html
Old 11-13-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
Agree: the best shot for a Democrat would be for Moore to stay in the race and face a write-in campaign. The worst thing to happen for Democrats now would be for Moore to drop out.
Which is why the GOP leadership is calling for Moore to dropout. With McCain going rogue, their hold on the senate is tenuous at best. With the old Christian right supporting Moore no matter what, a strong write-in campaign would be disastrous.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobysnax View Post
Which is why the GOP leadership is calling for Moore to dropout. With McCain going rogue, their hold on the senate is tenuous at best. With the old Christian right supporting Moore no matter what, a strong write-in campaign would be disastrous.
They are actually asking the Republican Governor to unilaterally decide to postpone the election till they can deal with the problem. One wonders just how legal that would be. "Oh, we don't like the way the polls are going, Hillary might actually win in Alabama, let's postpone the election till we can dig up or make up more dirt."
Old 11-13-2017, 03:48 PM

How's this for a Machiavellian / House of Cards scenario (posed in the NY Times, in their recent article about an additional Moore victim coming forward):

Moore stays in the race and wins. But the Senate refuses to seat him, because they have high standards and moral compasses suddenly. Alabama Governor then has to appoint a replacement:

Jeff Sessions.

Trump gets to pick a new toady Attorney General, who will probably immediately fire Mueller.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:20 PM

Following McConnell's call for Moore to step aside, Moore tweeted, "The person who should step aside is @SenateMajLdr Mitch McConnell. He has failed conservatives and must be replaced. #DrainTheSwamp"
https://twitter.com/MooreSenate/stat...28259035082756
Old 11-13-2017, 04:22 PM

Classy - "No, U!"
Old 11-13-2017, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

But he does have a point.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
But he does have a point.
Are you talking about his penis?
Old 11-13-2017, 05:10 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Roy Moore's wife is trying to collect evidence to prove that Roy's accusers are being paid.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/roy-moore...174009011.html
Before or after Beverly Nelson joined in?
Old 11-13-2017, 07:32 PM

Because, fuck those people
Buried in the Senate Republican tax plan released last week is the elimination of a $20-a-month tax benefit for people biking to and from work, a program that costs the government a grand total of $5 million. The same tax bill would retain a $255-a-month parking subsidy for drivers that costs $7.3 billion.

“The cost of this [cyclist] benefit is equal to a rounding error in the tax bill.…” said Ken McLeod, policy director at the League of American Bicyclists.… The cost of the driving subsidy is roughly 1,500 times bigger than the biking subsidy. As such, some experts believe Senate Republicans are targeting Americans living in cities, where cycling—and Democratic voting habits—are more common.…

“This is urban versus rural or suburban,” said League of American Bicyclists Executive Director Bill Nesper. The cut hurts the urban lower and middle class while saving the U.S. government almost no money. “We often imagine that there’s this image of the bike commuter as a wealthy person in Spandex, but it’s mostly low-income people riding to work,” said (Steven) Higashide. Sixty percent of those who commute by bike have household incomes of less than $75,000 each year, according to the Census Bureau.
Nobody like bicyclists. They get in the way, scoff at traffic controls, run pedestrians down and dent your car while you are trying to turn in front of them. So, easy target it seems.

Last edited by eschereal; 11-13-2017 at 07:32 PM.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:39 PM
Charter Member

This is literally the first I've ever heard of a bicycle tax benefit. The online tax services I use have never asked about my commuting habits, and I'm not sure how to claim a benefit outside the bounds of what the online services ask about.

And yeah, for what it's worth, I commute by bike because it's a lot cheaper than a car, and I need to pinch what pennies I can.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
How's this for a Machiavellian / House of Cards scenario (posed in the NY Times, in their recent article about an additional Moore victim coming forward):

Moore stays in the race and wins. But the Senate refuses to seat him, because they have high standards and moral compasses suddenly. Alabama Governor then has to appoint a replacement:

Jeff Sessions.

Trump gets to pick a new toady Attorney General, who will probably immediately fire Mueller.
And that Attorney General is . . . Roy Moore?
Old 11-13-2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Following McConnell's call for Moore to step aside, Moore tweeted, "The person who should step aside is @SenateMajLdr Mitch McConnell. He has failed conservatives and must be replaced. #DrainTheSwamp"
https://twitter.com/MooreSenate/stat...28259035082756
Ah, the 'I know you are, but what am I?' defence!
-- Dave Berry, "25 Things I Have Learned in 50 Years"
Old 11-13-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
They are actually asking the Republican Governor to unilaterally decide to postpone the election till they can deal with the problem. One wonders just how legal that would be. "Oh, we don't like the way the polls are going, Hillary might actually win in Alabama, let's postpone the election till we can dig up or make up more dirt."
The Governor here, Kay Ivey, came into office following the resignation of the old Governor who got caught canoodling with a lady who was not his wife (and spending tax dollars on private jet trips). While I have no doubt that she's a staunch Republican, I don't see her getting herself involved in this Republican scuffle and she'll stay on the sidelines, IMHO.

Quote:

Jeff Sessions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post
And that Attorney General is . . . Roy Moore?
My head asplode.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:30 PM

Roy Moore was well known by the local people in Gadsden, AL for being shady. The security guards at Gadsden Mall had him on the list of people to watch out for.
http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/201..._moores_b.html
Old 11-14-2017, 12:04 AM

Going back to the impressively unqualified candidate for the federal bench.
Mr. Talley, who has never heard a case, and has only been a member of the bar for three years, remember?
Turns out, the wife he'd forgotten to mention as working for the Administration, is also a witness in the Mueller probe.
Quote:
The New York Times reports that Donaldson “has emerged in recent weeks as a witness in the special counsel’s investigation into whether Mr. Trump obstructed justice.” She was interviewed recently by investigators about her “detailed notes” on conversations with her boss on issues like the decision to fire FBI Director James Comey.
Quid pro quo, anyone?
Old 11-14-2017, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
Buried in the Senate Republican tax plan released last week is the elimination of a $20-a-month tax benefit for people biking to and from work, a program that costs the government a grand total of $5 million. The same tax bill would retain a $255-a-month parking subsidy for drivers that costs $7.3 billion.
All the details of the GOP tax plan, beyond the general transfer from poor to rich, are designed to screw D-leaning demographics. It's quite despicable and sickening when you think of it.

I suppose this is well discussed on left-leaning message boards. But is mainstream media doing its job in exposing this?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

[off-topic anecdote]
Watching SNL just now, their "news" show informed me that in Texas it is illegal to possess or promote the use of six or more dildos. Googling seems to confirm this. Ownership of 47 semi-automatic rifles is, of course, no problem. I realize there are D's in Texas. If this law was passed by the D's instead of the R's I'll sit corrected (and astonished).
Old 11-14-2017, 07:09 AM

Oh goody.

"Sessions considering special counsel to probe Clinton Foundation, uranium sale"
Quote:
Attorney General Jeff Sessions is entertaining the idea of appointing a second special counsel to investigate a host of Republican concerns including alleged wrongdoing by the Clinton Foundation and the controversial sale of a uranium company to Russia and has directed senior federal prosecutors to explore at least some of the matters and report back to him and his top deputy, according to a letter obtained by The Washington Post.

The revelation came in a response from the Justice Department to an inquiry from House Judiciary Committee Chairman Bob Goodlatte (R-Va.), who in July and again in September called for Sessions to appoint a second special counsel to investigate concerns he had related to the 2016 election and its aftermath....
I guess Jeffy is trying to get back in Thump's good graces.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post

[off-topic anecdote]
Watching SNL just now, their "news" show informed me that in Texas it is illegal to possess or promote the use of six or more dildos. Googling seems to confirm this. Ownership of 47 semi-automatic rifles is, of course, no problem. I realize there are D's in Texas. If this law was passed by the D's instead of the R's I'll sit corrected (and astonished).
If you're using six or more dildos I'd be amazed if you could sit at all.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:57 AM

Quote:
[off-topic anecdote]
Molly Ivins wrote about this, several years ago. Her phrasing was perfectly typical of her

"Apparently possession of fewer than six dildos marks you as a mere enthusiast."

I do miss her wit. One of my favorites (which made me do a double take when I heard her read it in the audio edition I had) was her idea of authors like here (she was on a book tour) promoting their books with matching products. Hers would have been Barbecue-Flavored Vaginal Gel.

Think about it for a bit.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:01 AM
Charter Member

Not really a Stupid Republican idea (or a Republican idea), but this is the thread I had open when it occurred to me.

Mention has been made of AG Sessions’s somewhat diminutive stature and his apparent suitability for either the cobbling or the baking profession. With ChristHolidaymas fast approaching, perhaps someone ought to get to work producing Elf-On-the-Shelf action figures with Beauregard’s face on them.

I imagine they would be 37% scarier to young minds, and therefore more effective at obtaining desired behavior as Holidaymas draws nigh...

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 11-14-2017 at 08:03 AM.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:04 AM

Quote:
[off-topic anecdote]
It was probably passed by Dixiecrat D's. For about 100 years it was impossible for an R to get votes in this state.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:54 AM

The more I read about this tax plan, the more I think the whole thing needs to be posted to this thread.

Republican tax plan would tax graduate student tuition waivers as income.

So we are going to stimulate growth by cutting taxes on the rich and then significantly increasing taxes on people going to college, especially those in graduate school. When I was in graduate school, my university waived my tuition, a benefit of nearly $40,000 a year. They also gave me a position as a research assistant and paid me around $20,000 a year. I dutifully paid taxes on the 20 grand, but under this new tax plan I would have been on the hook for taxes on $60,000 every year. Talk about a disincentive. I was eating ramen and beans in grad school and occasionally making choices on which bill not to pay in any given month. If I was on the hook for another couple thousand in taxes, I would not have gone. I wonder how many other engineers and physicists are in the same position as me.

I don't know why Republicans think attacking higher education is a good idea for stimulating growth in this global economy, but I think this is probably one of the stupidest things I have read in a long time.

Last edited by Happy Fun Ball; 11-14-2017 at 09:55 AM.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Fun Ball View Post
The more I read about this tax plan, the more I think the whole thing needs to be posted to this thread.

Republican tax plan would tax graduate student tuition waivers as income.
Some quick math. Assuming you're single, this is your only income, and you have no other deductions to make use of:

$20,000 per year would mean $2,533.75 in Federal taxes owed. Since this is from actual pay, you'll most likely have it deducted straight from your bi-weekly paychecks.

$60,000 per year would mean $10738.75 in Federal taxes owed. That's a net increase of $8,205, or, if you're budgeting it ahead of time, $683.75 per month.

This money can either come out of your paychecks if your university shoulders the responsibility of paying these taxes for you. That would literally cut your paycheck in half. Or you can be on the hook every April 15 of scrounging up 8 grand.

Good luck!
Old 11-14-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Roy Moore was well known by the local people in Gadsden, AL for being shady. The security guards at Gadsden Mall had him on the list of people to watch out for.
http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/201..._moores_b.html
Obviously a town full of libtard liars!
-- Dave Berry, "25 Things I Have Learned in 50 Years"
Old 11-14-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
I don't know why Republicans think attacking higher education is a good idea for stimulating growth in this global economy, but I think this is probably one of the stupidest things I have read in a long time.
When have you ever heard a Republican make this argument, even in neutral language?
Old 11-14-2017, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
When have you ever heard a Republican make this argument, even in neutral language?
This is the argument they are making with the current tax bill they are trying to push.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
Obviously a town full of libtard liars!
Talk about your long con... they created an entire fake city!
Old 11-14-2017, 02:00 PM

The California Association of Realtors, hardly a wild eyed libtard organization, has paid for a full page ad in several California newspapers, as well as Politico and the DC edition of the Wall Street Journal, opposing the Republican tax plan, as detrimental to the American dream of home ownership.
http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-...184447198.html

This is the wording of their ads:
http://goldrushcam.com/sierrasuntime...nia-homeowners

Last edited by Rick Kitchen; 11-14-2017 at 02:01 PM.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:08 PM

Yup. I’m a middle class working stiff Californian with a $600k mortgage. I stand to lose my mortgage interest deduction, plus deductions of state income tax and property tax; and I’d expect to see my home’s value take a big hit. This tax bill is a giant middle finger to California.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:32 PM

Jim Bakker (remember him?) says the End Times are here because of ... Apache helicopters.
http://www.rightwingwatch.org/post/j...-in-the-bible/
Old 11-14-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Yup. Im a middle class working stiff Californian with a $600k mortgage. I stand to lose my mortgage interest deduction, plus deductions of state income tax and property tax; and Id expect to see my homes value take a big hit. This tax bill is a giant middle finger to California.
Apparently not losing your interest deduction - everything I've read says that current homeowners will be grandfathered in.

The other things? Yeah, you're likely fucked.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Yup. Im a middle class working stiff Californian with a $600k mortgage. I stand to lose my mortgage interest deduction, plus deductions of state income tax and property tax; and Id expect to see my homes value take a big hit. This tax bill is a giant middle finger to California.
While the GOP tax bill is terrible, the point of tax reform is to eliminate deductions and reduce rates.

Given the information you've provided, I'd bet you pay less taxes than most Floridians making half your income. Tax reform is supposed to reduce that unfairness.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaher View Post
While the GOP tax bill is terrible, the point of tax reform is to eliminate deductions and reduce rates.
No, the points of this one are to pay back their big campaign donors, and be able to claim they actually did something.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
No, the points of this one are to pay back their big campaign donors, and be able to claim they actually did something.
How many times do they have to fuck over ordinary voters before they try something fresh and new?
Old 11-14-2017, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

They probably see it as a win-win. It decreases the number of liberal-elites-in-training and increases the number of low-information voters
Old 11-14-2017, 03:47 PM

Roy Moore's wife put out a letter signed by 53 Alabama pastors saying they supported him. Several of the pastors have said they did not sign the letter.
http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/201...r_of_supp.html
Old 11-14-2017, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Roy Moore's wife put out a letter signed by 53 Alabama pastors saying they supported him. Several of the pastors have said they did not sign the letter.
I am shocked. SHOCKED, I tell you.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Jim Bakker (remember him?) says the End Times are here because of ... Apache helicopters.
http://www.rightwingwatch.org/post/j...-in-the-bible/
Well, he has to do some scare mongering. How else is he going to sell his survival crap?
Old 11-14-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galen ubal View Post
Going back to the impressively unqualified candidate for the federal bench.
Mr. Talley, who has never heard a case, and has only been a member of the bar for three years, remember?
Turns out, the wife he'd forgotten to mention as working for the Administration, is also a witness in the Mueller probe.

Quid pro quo, anyone?
Certainly looks that way.

One hopes that Mueller has taken note and is adding it to the list (for obstruction of justice charges).

Self-correction is the secret strength of freedom. ---George W. Bush, 19 October 2017
Old 11-14-2017, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Anyone want to guess how long it will be until we get the tearful confession of how he sinned in his youth and was just too ashamed to admit it but now God has forgiven him? The week before the election? The day before?
Old 11-14-2017, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora maire View Post
Anyone want to guess how long it will be until we get the tearful confession of how he sinned in his youth and was just too ashamed to admit it but now God has forgiven him? The week before the election? The day before?
Now we're getting "When he was molesting those girls, he was a Democrat."
Old 11-14-2017, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Yes. That's the point of THIS tax reform, but the idea of tax reform is a concept is to get rid of deductions, and any GOOD tax reform will probably get rid of the mortgage interest deduction and state and local tax deductions. All those are are payoffs to upper middle class voters, who are extremely valuable voters to politicians. They exist in large numbers and they donate to campaigns. But those are two of the biggest deductions in the tax code, so tax reform is meaningless without eliminating them or cutting them.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Yes. That's the point of THIS tax reform, but the idea of tax reform is a concept is to get rid of deductions, and any GOOD tax reform will probably get rid of the mortgage interest deduction and state and local tax deductions. All those are are payoffs to upper middle class voters, who are extremely valuable voters to politicians. They exist in large numbers and they donate to campaigns. But those are two of the biggest deductions in the tax code, so tax reform is meaningless without eliminating them or cutting them.
This seems like a strangely specific definition of the term "tax reform". I personally would consider any significant change in the tax system intended to improve, correct, or simplify it "tax reform", including a reform explicitly intended to eliminate the rich escaping taxation via various methods. I do not believe you have to toss the middle class on the altar to call something tax reform, and that it's disingenuous to claim that tax reform is impossible without doing more harm than good.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Now we're getting "When he was molesting those girls, he was a Democrat."
Seriously? Haven't seen that claim.

eta. Oh Limbaugh.

Last edited by enipla; 11-14-2017 at 05:16 PM.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:18 PM

Those are the biggest deductions, and if you raise the standard deduction and lower rates, most middle class taxpayers pay less. The upper middle class would pay more and the rich a lot more. Anything else is just moving stuff around in the tax system in order to pay off one group and harm another, which is what the GOP tax reform is really all about.

But upper middle class taxpayers really need to get over their entitlement mentality that they should pay less than people making half their income because they have a mortgage and college expenses and high local taxes. It's their privilege that creates such expenses. You are supposed to pay about 15% of your income in income taxes above the $60K level or so. If you aren't, you're privileged by the tax system and that should probably change.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
You are supposed to pay about 15% of your income in income taxes above the $60K level or so. If you aren't, you're privileged by the tax system and that should probably change.
I take all the usual deductions, including a pretty big mortgage interest deduction, and I pay a hell of a lot more than 15% of my income in taxes. Where can I sign up for some of that privilege stuff?
Old 11-14-2017, 05:40 PM

They certainly exist. About 25% of households making six figures but less than $500K end up having to pay the AMT, and politicians think that's a hardship and want to shield these taxpayers from it.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:16 PM

Are there any figures on how much in deductions are taken on second homes? Is there any good reason to include second homes in the mortgage deduction?

Also, are there gaping loopholes that can be closed? For instance, I know if you rent the place, you can deduct interest as a business expense. Can you rent out a room in a mansion and then claim the interest as a business expense, and further, as a loss since revenue aren't meeting costs?

Last edited by Sinaptics; 11-14-2017 at 06:17 PM. Reason: need to learn how to conjugate properly