Old 11-14-2017, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Alternate Universe versions of things in our reality

1. The Inside Dope Chat Room (for the SDMB, natch.)
2. President Bernie Sanders
3. Second Russian Empire
4. The Beatles 2017 reunion: 50 years after Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
5. Execution of Lenin, Trotsky and Stalin
6. The hit Netflix show Ordinarier Things
7. The 2017 release of American Graffiti, Episode VIII: Toad in Vietnam
8. President Trump is renowned for humility and political efficiency
9. Lady GooGoo
10. Mazeroski strikes out and Yanks win 1960 World Series
11. Celebrate 200 years of low prices at a Walworth's Department Store near you.
12. Killer O.J. Simpson put to death by lethal injection.

Last edited by Annie-Xmas; 11-14-2017 at 09:10 AM.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

Alternate Universe versions of things in our reality

1. The Inside Dope Chat Room (for the SDMB, natch.)
2. President Bernie Sanders
3. Second Russian Empire
4. The Beatles 2017 reunion: 50 years after Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
5. Execution of Lenin, Trotsky and Stalin
6. The hit Netflix show Ordinarier Things
7. The 2017 release of American Graffiti, Episode VIII: Toad in Vietnam
8. President Trump is renowned for humility and political efficiency
9. Lady GooGoo
10. Mazeroski strikes out and Yanks win 1960 World Series
11. Celebrate 200 years of low prices at a Walworth's Department Store near you.
12. Killer O.J. Simpson put to death by lethal injection.
13. Former First Husband Bill Clinton failed in his 2016 attempt to follow his wife's Presidency with one of his own.

I'll pass.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:55 PM

First Lines of Famous Novels that Aren't Famous:

1. "The primroses were over." - Watership Down, by Richard Adams
Old 11-14-2017, 01:38 PM

2. "All of this happened, more or less." - Slaughterhouse-Five, by Kurt Vonnegut
Old 11-14-2017, 01:49 PM

2. "All of this happened, more or less." - Slaughterhouse-Five, by Kurt Vonnegut
3. "Halfway down a by-street of one of our New England towns, stands a rusty wooden house, with seven acutely peaked gables, facing towards various points of the compass, and a huge, clustered chimney in the midst." - The House of Seven Gables, by Nathaniel Hawthorne
Old 11-14-2017, 01:50 PM

3. "Halfway down a by-street of one of our New England towns, stands a rusty wooden house, with seven acutely peaked gables, facing towards various points of the compass, and a huge, clustered chimney in the midst." - The House of Seven Gables, by Nathaniel Hawthorne
4. "It was four o’clock when the ceremony was over and the carriages began to arrive." - The Jungle, Upton Sinclair

Last edited by Iggy; 11-14-2017 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Fixing
Old 11-14-2017, 02:40 PM
SDSAB

4. "It was four o’clock when the ceremony was over and the carriages began to arrive." - The Jungle, Upton Sinclair
5. "It's getting late." - The Dark Fields (republished as Limitless) by Alan Glynn
Old 11-14-2017, 03:11 PM

5. "It's getting late." - The Dark Fields (republished as Limitless) by Alan Glynn
6. "There was no possibility of taking a walk that day." - Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
Old 11-14-2017, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

6. "There was no possibility of taking a walk that day." - Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
7. "You will rejoice to hear that no disaster has accompanied the commencement of an enterprise which you have regarded with such evil forebodings." - Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
Old 11-14-2017, 05:08 PM

7. "You will rejoice to hear that no disaster has accompanied the commencement of an enterprise which you have regarded with such evil forebodings." - Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
8. "I was born in the Year 1632, in the City of York, of a good Family, tho' not of that Country, my Father being a Foreigner of Bremen, who settled first at Hull: He got a good Estate by Merchandise, and leaving off his Trade, lived afterward at York, from whence he had married my Mother, Relations were named Robinson, a very good Family at Country, and from whom I was called Robinson Keutznaer; but by the usual Corruption of Words in England, we are now called, nay we call our Selves, and writer Name Crusoe, and so my Companions always call'd me." - Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe
Old 11-14-2017, 05:30 PM

8. "I was born in the Year 1632, in the City of York, of a good Family, tho' not of that Country, my Father being a Foreigner of Bremen, who settled first at Hull: He got a good Estate by Merchandise, and leaving off his Trade, lived afterward at York, from whence he had married my Mother, Relations were named Robinson, a very good Family at Country, and from whom I was called Robinson Keutznaer; but by the usual Corruption of Words in England, we are now called, nay we call our Selves, and writer Name Crusoe, and so my Companions always call'd me." - Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe
9. "In the year 1878 I took my degree of Doctor of Medicine of the University of London, and proceeded to Netley to go through the course prescribed for surgeons in the army." - A Study in Scarlet, by Arthur Conan Doyle
Old 11-14-2017, 05:57 PM

9. "In the year 1878 I took my degree of Doctor of Medicine of the University of London, and proceeded to Netley to go through the course prescribed for surgeons in the army." - A Study in Scarlet, by Arthur Conan Doyle
10. "Mr Jones, of the Manor Farm, had locked the hen-houses for the night, but was too drunk to remember to shut the pop-holes." Animal Farm, George Orwell
Old 11-14-2017, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

10. "Mr Jones, of the Manor Farm, had locked the hen-houses for the night, but was too drunk to remember to shut the pop-holes." Animal Farm, George Orwell
11. "The drought had lasted now for ten million years, and the reign of the terrible lizards had long since ended." 2001: A Space Odyssey, Arthur C. Clarke
Old 11-14-2017, 06:32 PM

11. "The drought had lasted now for ten million years, and the reign of the terrible lizards had long since ended." 2001: A Space Odyssey, Arthur C. Clarke
12. "In 1913, when Anthony Patch was twenty-five, two years were already gone since irony, the Holy Ghost of this later day, had, theoretically at least, descended upon him." - The Beautiful & the Damned, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Old 11-14-2017, 10:46 PM
Charter Member

Noticed something interesting about John Steinbeck. Here are the opening lines from three of his books:

"The Salinas Valley is in Northern California. It is a long narrow swale between two ranges of mountains, and the Salinas River winds and twists up the center until it falls at last into Monterey Bay." - East of Eden

"To the red country and part of the gray country of Oklahoma, the last rains came gently, and they did not cut the scarred earth." - The Grapes of Wrath

"A few miles south of Soledad, the Salinas River drops in close to the hillside bank and runs deep and green. The water is warm too, for it has slipped twinkling over the yellow sands in the sunlight before reaching the narrow pool." - Of Mice and Men

I thought it was unusual how similar they are: a description of a natural geographic feature doing something.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:30 PM

12. "In 1913, when Anthony Patch was twenty-five, two years were already gone since irony, the Holy Ghost of this later day, had, theoretically at least, descended upon him." - The Beautiful & the Damned, F. Scott Fitzgerald
13. "The towers of Zenith aspired above the morning mist; austere towers of steel and cement and limestone, sturdy as cliffs and delicate as silver rods." Babbitt, by Sinclair Lewis

Next subject:

Movies with memorable opening credits (include video link if possible):

1. To Kill a Mockingbird, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v04pqVoH7rE

Last FM Library Thing
Old 11-15-2017, 12:01 AM

2. Monty Python and the Holy Grail: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79TVMn_d_Pk
Old 11-15-2017, 02:10 AM
Charter Member

3. Lord of War: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K1jBbq6zRo

Last edited by Little Nemo; 11-15-2017 at 02:11 AM.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:41 AM

4. The Pink Panther (1963) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86znnjhYrq4
Old 11-15-2017, 08:04 AM

5. Goldfinger - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt2WlDM3tEA
Old 11-15-2017, 08:07 AM

5. Se7en
Old 11-15-2017, 08:12 AM

6. Se7en
Old 11-15-2017, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

6. Se7en
7.Star Wars

Last edited by Annie-Xmas; 11-15-2017 at 09:09 AM.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:28 AM

6. Se7en
7.Star Wars
8. Watchmen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h24D87SqaLQ
Old 11-15-2017, 11:43 AM

6. Se7en
7.Star Wars
9. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcca...e_polymer=true
Old 11-15-2017, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

6. Se7en
7.Star Wars
9. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcca...e_polymer=true
10. Deadpool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MjyGL0go60
Old 11-15-2017, 01:24 PM
SDSAB

6. Se7en
7.Star Wars
11. Catch Me If You Can: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nv2S_S9MlU
Old 11-15-2017, 03:02 PM

6. Se7en
7.Star Wars
12. It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2Ek6yOLno0&t=20s

Last FM Library Thing
Old 11-15-2017, 03:40 PM
SDSAB

6. Se7en
7.Star Wars
12. It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2Ek6yOLno0&t=20s
13. The Black Hole: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJaypC51Dds

Probably the best thing about the whole movie.

Next category:

Favorite ragtime tunes - with links

1. "The Strenuous Life" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urKxJJYvYcM
Old 11-15-2017, 04:31 PM

2. "I'm Just Wild ABout Harry" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHUvd72TtE8
Old 11-15-2017, 04:39 PM

2. "I'm Just Wild ABout Harry" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHUvd72TtE8
3. Maple Leaf Rag - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMAtL7n_-rc
Old 11-15-2017, 06:33 PM
SDSAB

Not ragtime: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I%27m_...ld_About_Harry

2. "The Easy Winners" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP4qGY9F7QM
3. "Maple Leaf Rag" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMAtL7n_-rc
Old 11-15-2017, 08:23 PM

Well, Eubie Blake was a ragtime composer, and that's his best known song. Carry on.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:36 PM

4. "Tiger Rag" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TGSYmYVYdg

One of the first jazz standards.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:29 PM

5. "Charleston Rag" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN89vHZ414s

By Eubie Blake, written in 1899 when he was 12, performed by him in 1972 when was 86
Old 11-16-2017, 09:29 AM
Charter Member

6. "The Entertainer" : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WxfjWnuEno
Old 11-16-2017, 10:23 AM

7. Ragtime Cowboy Joe - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojYlma2qQlw
Old 11-16-2017, 01:49 PM

7. Ragtime Cowboy Joe - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojYlma2qQlw
8. "You've Been a Good Old Wagon" by Ben Harney https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEBs_mpTH6w
Old 11-16-2017, 01:52 PM
SDSAB

Not sure #8 is ragtime, either, but anyway....

7. "Ragtime Cowboy Joe" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojYlma2qQlw
8. "You've Been a Good Old Wagon" by Ben Harney https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEBs_mpTH6w
9. "New Rag" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU2UYVNiNNM

Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 11-16-2017 at 01:54 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:50 PM

10. "The Cascades" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSnD1tZ_AFQ

Damn near anything by Scott Joplin, really

Last edited by Iggy; 11-16-2017 at 05:52 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:33 PM
Charter Member

11. "Hello Ma Baby" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sT99Y4AnmA
Old 11-16-2017, 09:50 PM

12. "Scott Joplin's New Rag" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU2UYVNiNNM
Old 11-16-2017, 11:42 PM

12. "Scott Joplin's New Rag" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU2UYVNiNNM[/QUOTE]
13. "Pineapple Rag" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-PtpGBmr5E

New

Countries with coastlines on more than one sea or ocean

1. Colombia: Pacific, Caribbean
Old Yesterday, 12:23 AM

2. United States: Pacific, Atlantic, Arctic
Old Yesterday, 04:37 AM

2. United States: Pacific, Atlantic, Arctic