Old 11-26-2002, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

E! News Live question (and a Tivo rant)

I just set a TiVo Season Pass to get E! News Live, because I want to see any features on upcoming movies (especially The Two Towers and Gangs of New York). I'm doing this for all the entertainment shows. I'll probably take them off at the end of the year.

The way it looks, there are three shows a day! Could a regular watcher tell me if the morning shows are repeats of the afternoon show? And if so, why would they repeat a show twice in a row? That seems pretty silly. Here's is what my Tivo is showing me (my times are Central):

11/27 6:00am
11/27 6:30am
11/27 5:30pm
11/28 6:00am

Then there's no show listed until Monday. Why no show Thursday afternoon or Friday? There are shows on Thursday afternoon and Friday next week.

Then it continues on Monday:

12/2 6:00am
12/2 6:30am
12/2 5:30pm
12/3 6:00am
12/3 6:30am
12/3 5:30pm
12/4 6:00am
12/4 6:30am
12/4 5:30pm
12/5 6:00am
12/5 6:30am
12/5 5:30pm
12/6 6:00am
12/6 6:30am
12/6 5:30pm

I assume E! News Weekend is a separate show which I have to get a separate Season Pass for. It probably repeats too.

I can't let my Tivo get all these, my hard drive space will be taken up in no time! I guess I'll have to manually remove the repeats. I'm having the same trouble with my Season Pass of The Daily Show. It's getting ALL of them, 4 shows a day! There are a few other shows this happens with, such as World Music on Link. If I set it to record by time, rather than show, I'm stuck if they go and move times on me. That's happened before. I suppose it's E!'s and Comedy Central's fault for not specifying original and repeat, but Tivo could make it a little bit faster and easier to delete these extra showings. I LOVE my Tivo, but it can be a pain in the butt to delete anything. It can be frustrating and very time-consuming, something they claim you're supposed to be saving. Not hardly! I spend hours a week just in schedule maintenance time. If only they'd add a "flag" option so I could just tick tick tick then delete all three (or however many) at once. Sorry, a little off-my-own-topic rant.
Old 11-26-2002, 04:43 PM

When setting up your Season pass, set it to only keep 1 or 2 showing. That way you won't lose all your space to the same show doing repeats.

Also, a shortcut to delete shows is to go to Now Showing, move down to the show you want to delete, and press Clear then Select.
Old 11-26-2002, 04:46 PM

Whats it like fast forwarding adverts?
Old 11-26-2002, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bosmun
When setting up your Season pass, set it to only keep 1 or 2 showing. That way you won't lose all your space to the same show doing repeats.
I tried that (and setting Options to "First run only") but it still gets them all. It affects future hard drive space too. I just wish they'd add a flag option. How hard could it be?

Quote:
Also, a shortcut to delete shows is to go to Now Showing, move down to the show you want to delete, and press Clear then Select.
I found out about that tip a few days ago. It helps a little bit, but it's still time consuming. When you press a button and it takes 5-10 seconds to get to the next screen, that's frustrating. It doesn't seem like much time, but it adds up when you have to do it dozens of times. Still, it's better than it was.

Quote:
Ryan_Liam: Whats it like fast forwarding adverts?
Great! There are 3 FF speeds. If you use the 2nd or 3rd speed, fast forward through the commercials, then see the show is starting, you press Play and it'll go back 30 seconds automatically, so you don't have to manually rewind to the end of the last commercial.
Old 11-26-2002, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

I feel your pain, I've gone through it with The Daily Show.

You might want to consider replacing your Season Pass with a Manual Record, set to repeat M-F at 6:00 am (or whenever you know the show is on). Not as elegant, but at least you only get one show a day.

Another option is to set Keep at Most = 1. That way each program that is recorded will replace the previous one.
Old 11-26-2002, 05:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Skammer
I feel your pain, I've gone through it with The Daily Show.

You might want to consider replacing your Season Pass with a Manual Record, set to repeat M-F at 6:00 am (or whenever you know the show is on). Not as elegant, but at least you only get one show a day.

Another option is to set Keep at Most = 1. That way each program that is recorded will replace the previous one.
I tried that manual thing with The Daily Show, and they went and changed the time on me, making me miss a show I really wanted to see. Argh! I'm not sure about trying it again. It also wouldn't help if, at some point, they had a special showing. It's a good idea, but one I'm wary of trying.

The only reason I don't try your other suggestion is that I can't always watch a show right away, and I fear missing a show altogether. It's a combination of a channel problem and a Tivo problem. I want them to fix it.

Tivo has ruined my life. I used to be able to go for months without turning the TV on at all, but now that Tivo gets me the best of the best (excluding E! News Live, of course), I spend a lot more time watching TV. I've become addicted to the Sundance Channel, the Independent Film Channel, TCM, The History Channel, the Discovery Channel, Link, Trio, and others. No VCRs to set, no timers, no making sure a blank tape is in the machine, no forgetting to turn off the VCR, I can record 2 things at once while watching (and dubbing off, if I want) a third, I can fast-forward through anything without damaging the machine or videotape. I can dub off specific bits that I want without having to keep the whole show or hook up two VCRs to dub from tape to tape (a godsend during the Olympics!) and lose quality. I can set a Wishlist for actors and directors and keywords and not miss something because I forgot to check the TV Guide. I even dropped my subscription to TV Guide! I love it! I only hate the fact that I spend so much time in maintaining the To Do list, and how the hard drive fills up so quickly (ESPECIALLY if I don't maintain the To Do list!). I know you can add extra hard drives, and I hope to do that at some point.
Old 11-26-2002, 06:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Equipoise
Great! There are 3 FF speeds. If you use the 2nd or 3rd speed, fast forward through the commercials, then see the show is starting, you press Play and it'll go back 30 seconds automatically, so you don't have to manually rewind to the end of the last commercial.
Here's another trick for you, while something that you recorded hit:
Select-Play-Select-3-0-Select.

If turns the skip button (just below and to the right of the arrows, I believe it skips 15 mins at a time) into a 30 second skip button. Very nice, as soon as the commercials start hit it six times (or whatever) and your past them.