Old 10-21-2009, 09:22 PM
SDSAB

I heartily recommend the books to any fantasy fan who hasn't read them yet. They're really, really good, and I've enjoyed each in turn (although some more than others). Quite unlike LOTR, but no less interesting and in many ways more realistic and grounded in actual history. I fervently hope Martin finishes the series, but have to admit I doubt it, more and more with each passing month. Doesn't look like he has his heart in it and, as earlier noted, he seems to be enjoying himself more doing other stuff.

I almost wish Martin had some benign but insistent taskmaster in his life who would make sure he eats his Wheaties, gets his exercise, sleeps sufficiently, and keeps writing, dammit!
Old 10-22-2009, 12:57 PM

Thanks everyone. I'm definitely going to read these books. However, it seems someone doesn't want me to - I went to the bookstore yesterday and forgot my damn wallet. I'll try again today...
Old 10-22-2009, 03:14 PM

Martins biggest problem is that Steven Erikson came along and bashed out a book a year for nearly a decade, each of which bitch-slapped the best ASOIAF had to offer.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:25 PM

Is Erikson that good then? Seen his name mentioned a few times on here, keep meaning to check him out.

I'm surprised to see so many posters thinking that George will just sack it off out of disinterest- it would represent a fairly severe professional failure don't you think? Maybe he's a grand enough SF / fantasy writer not to give much of a damn, but to bail out on one of, if not the most critically and popularly acclaimed fantasy series of recent times would be strikingly lame. It's a bit different from calling it a day on a relatively minor series that has not made much of a dent in the field.

It would be especially poor as it would put his skills as a writer in question - he's stopping because he's lost his grip, it's stategically falling apart, he can't pull it together, can't handle such a wide canvas etc etc. Seems like a quality writer like GRRM wouldn't want to put himself in that position.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Scissors View Post
Is Erikson that good then? Seen his name mentioned a few times on here, keep meaning to check him out.

I'm surprised to see so many posters thinking that George will just sack it off out of disinterest- it would represent a fairly severe professional failure don't you think? Maybe he's a grand enough SF / fantasy writer not to give much of a damn, but to bail out on one of, if not the most critically and popularly acclaimed fantasy series of recent times would be strikingly lame. It's a bit different from calling it a day on a relatively minor series that has not made much of a dent in the field.

It would be especially poor as it would put his skills as a writer in question - he's stopping because he's lost his grip, it's stategically falling apart, he can't pull it together, can't handle such a wide canvas etc etc. Seems like a quality writer like GRRM wouldn't want to put himself in that position.
Eh, I think it's pretty par for the course for creative endeavors. Part of what makes an epic like SOIAF so amazing is the level of passion and attention to detail - in short, how much of himself Martin has poured into it. Without really being passionate anymore, I doubt anything he did out of professionalism would be up to the standard anyways.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:57 PM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

Be careful what you wish for. It was feared Stephen King would never finish the DT series. He forced himself to do so, and many people did not like the result. (I was okay with it, but found the earlier books in the series to be superior to the later ones.)

But I too hope GRRM will get his act together and conclude the thing.

Failing that, I hope I like what Brandon Sanderson does to WoT.

Last edited by Qadgop the Mercotan; 10-22-2009 at 04:57 PM.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Scissors View Post
I like Erickson's books as I'm reading them, but when I'm done, they fade from my mind. The characters don't stay with me and lord knows, it's nigh impossible to keep track of the story line without taking notes. But he's created a wonderful universe where I enjoy spending time.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I fervently hope Martin finishes the series, but have to admit I doubt it, more and more with each passing month. Doesn't look like he has his heart in it and, as earlier noted, he seems to be enjoying himself more doing other stuff.
And it's not like he's heading into the home stretch. The series is supposed to have two more books after A Dance with Dragons. Which raises the issue that if Martin is this uninspired by the series now, how will he be feeling about it in ten years?
Quote:

I think it's the opposite. Martin appears to feel that the best use of his creativity is working on new projects rather than going back pounding out sequels to a book he wrote thirteen years ago just because it would sell a lot of copies.

I also wonder how much Martin's heart was ever in the project in the first place. Martin apparently regards Armageddon Rag as his best work but that book failed to find an audience. A Game of Thrones was something of a rebound work - a more commercial work Martin wrote to rebuild his career.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:37 AM

I think of George R. R. Martin as epic fantasy novels for people who can't stand epic fantasy novels. And Erickson, in comparison, is George R. R. Martin for people who love epic fantasy novels. Personally I couldn't finish the first one but I can't stand epic fantasy.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post

Failing that, I hope I like what Brandon Sanderson does to WoT.
not long now until we find that one out. Sad thing is, even if it's crap I will still buy the final one.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One And Only Wanderers View Post
not long now until we find that one out. Sad thing is, even if it's crap I will still buy the final one.
Yep, I agree. There is no way I'm stopping with 3 books to go. I have hope he won't suck though.

At least according to Sanderson's website he plans on releasing one every year and have the series done by October 2011 which still might be before we see anything from Martin.
Old 10-23-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runcible spoon View Post
Without really being passionate anymore, I doubt anything he did out of professionalism would be up to the standard anyways.
He's apparently re-done the current book at least twice though. I'd think if he'd just stopped caring he would've just plowed ahead with what he had and stopped re-working it so he could get his money and have his fans stop bothering him.