Old 05-13-2019, 12:48 PM

Medical Marijuana discussion thread

In 2014 Pennsylvania held a gubernatorial election. Incumbent Tom Corbett had vowed to veto any marijuana legislation that crossed his desk. Tom Wolf was more cannabis friendly, so I began to urge friends to vote for the guy. Longstoryshort, Wolf was elected and a few years later he signed SB 3, allowing medical use of cannabis in PA for a short list of problems.

I recently decided to see if I could make the law work for me. I made a doctors appointment with my PCP (step 1 in PA). Things did not go well. When my doctor walked into the room, he went on the offensive, yelling at me for not coming in for 5 years. I fired back, saying it had been 3 years, which was when I'd had a stent placed in a coronary artery. Turns out he was correct (time flies). OK, I could see him being upset about me neglecting my health, but that wasn't why he was so pissed off. He was angry about the financial dent he experienced due to people not seeking health care. He was also pissed off because his employer (UPMC) required him to update all my medical stuff and that was hard work.

As he worked on updating me on his computer screen, he was not saving each update (I watched over his shoulder). He got frustrated and went to get someone to "fix" his terminal. While he was gone, I updated my info. When he returned he was surprised by what he saw, then realized I'd been messing with the system, and he started yelling at me about that. I pointed out that he didn't know what he was doing and I had plans later that day. When the office worker tried to ask if he needed her he yelled at her to get out.

When I finally mentioned the reason for my appointment (I always thought I had IBS, never sought medical care for it, now it was worse and I thought it would qualify as IBD, allowed in SB3) he laughed in my face. Sure, he'd be happy to diagnose me with IBD after referral for colonoscopy and a histopathologic diagnosis, otherwise he suggested I keep buying it on the street. I left his office pretty unhappy. A few days later my credit card company informed me that the $60 charge from my doctor (copay) had been returned to me. That's as close as he will come to an apology, I guess, as I won't be seeing him ever again.

I considered finding another PCP and starting from scratch, but I'd heard about a doctor who was pro-cannabis and who did certifications. (If my PCP gave me a diagnosis letter, my next step would be to see a physician who did certifications). She was awesome. We chatted for over an hour about my health. I had read about PTSD diagnosis (one of her specialties) and was hoping to qualify. I never lied, but I did emphasize areas of my history that I thought would help. Turns out I qualified! A week later the state sent me my ID card and that same day I visited 3 dispensaries.

TL,DR: I am legally using medical marijuana in PA and I am loving it.

Anyone else? Dispensary tips? Favorite strains?
Old 05-13-2019, 01:03 PM

I've visited 3 dispensaries, each about a 50 minute drive from my house. On a first visit, you have to meet with the pharmacist, complete paperwork, etc. Once you are in their system, on return visits you just buy what you want.

Maitri Medicinal in East Liberty was my favorite place. It's all chrome and glass, with hipster/hippy bud tenders eager to help you choose. They also offer daily specials and sales. Dishes of suckers are out so you can help yourself. I bought a disposable pen of Tangie and 3.5 grams of White Poison.

Cresco Yeltrah in New Kensington was not as upscale, but the people were very nice. After meeting with the pharmacist and doing my paperwork, I bought a gram of Cresco Cookies.

Solevo Wellness in Greensburg was a pretty cool experience as well. The pharmacist there was actually fun to talk with. We ended up chatting for a long time about our past experiences with cannabis, then I ended up buying 3.5 grams of Salmon River OG 4. This impressed the pharmacist. Out of the dozens of options, I had chosen her current favorite strain.

Ironically, I have not tried any of my purchases. I want to wait until my pre-legal stash is exhausted.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:27 PM

I wish more European countries would get with the times when it comes to cannabis.

But with that said, this board amuses me to no end: So many clueless, upper middle-class, college educated, oh-so liberal Americans ("Smartest, Hippest!") whinging, whining, bitching, crying about how repressive and authoritarian 2019's America is, and of the limitless freedom and paradise that awaits them in "Europe". What a fucking joke, as in most respects, (regarding extremely open social policy) California or Colorado makes places like Denmark and Nederlands look like 1950's small town Iowa...

Last edited by Royal Nonesutch; 05-13-2019 at 01:28 PM.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

I support the full legalization of marijuana, but this isn't how it should be done. If you want to get toasted, that's your business. Playing "Let's Pretend" is a waste of resources.
Quote:
When I finally mentioned the reason for my appointment (I always thought I had IBS, never sought medical care for it, now it was worse and I thought it would qualify as IBD, allowed in SB3) he laughed in my face. Sure, he'd be happy to diagnose me with IBD after referral for colonoscopy and a histopathologic diagnosis, otherwise he suggested I keep buying it on the street. I left his office pretty unhappy.
Darn those doctors who won't diagnose something you don't have so you can get treatments that won't work on what you haven't got.
Quote:
I had read about PTSD diagnosis (one of her specialties) and was hoping to qualify. I never lied, but I did emphasize areas of my history that I thought would help. Turns out I qualified!
She sounds like a real crackerjack diagnostician.

I'm glad you can get high if that's what you want. If it ever becomes legal, I will probably join you. It just seems like it's not good for patients or the medical profession if I have to pretend I have Lou Gehrig's disease before I spark one up.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 05-13-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
I support the full legalization of marijuana, but this isn't how it should be done. If you want to get toasted, that's your business. Playing "Let's Pretend" is a waste of resources.
Heh, I agree. As far as wasting resources, hey, I'm playing by the rules. I'm paying a bit more to buy my legal cannabis compared to what I can buy "on the street".

As far as "Let's Pretend", I've successfully self-medicated my IBS/IBD for decades and am happy with the results.
Old 05-13-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
She sounds like a real crackerjack diagnostician.
Here's the thing. She was without a doubt the most caring, compassionate MD I've ever met. She is board certified in family practice and had a thriving career prior to her decision to be proactive in an area she truly believes in. I hope to find a new PCP who is half as good.
Old 05-13-2019, 02:51 PM

As a resident in a legal state, it's astonishing how hung up the rest of the country is. Yet alcohol is available pretty much anywhere. Give me a stoner over a drunk any day.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Heh, I agree. As far as wasting resources, hey, I'm playing by the rules. I'm paying a bit more to buy my legal cannabis compared to what I can buy "on the street".

As far as "Let's Pretend", I've successfully self-medicated my IBS/IBD for decades and am happy with the results.
Awesome that that's working on relieving the symptoms, but have you considered getting that checked up by an actual doctor you trust?
Old 05-13-2019, 03:13 PM
Sluice Gate Tender, FCD #3
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena330 View Post
As a resident in a legal state, it's astonishing how hung up the rest of the country is. Yet alcohol is available pretty much anywhere. Give me a stoner over a drunk any day.
At least recreational legalization has ended the charade that was "Medical Marijuana" in the SoW (while there is still a medical certification for certain conditions, all it does is eliminate some fees for the holder).

For a while you could pick up a copy of a "want ads" newspaper and find several pages of "Come in with $150 and leave with a green card" ads. An acquaintance of mine worked at a dispensary and said they had a multi-page list of "clinics" whose certifications they wouldn't recognize.
Old 05-13-2019, 04:28 PM

I'm on pain management, never used marijuana ever before. I somehow made it through the Sixties and Seventies without getting stoned.

A friend of mine, also on pain management (different doctor) tried marijuana and had much much better control of her pain. Unfortunately, her doctor added THC to the drug list for the regular screening pee test. When she tested positive for THC, the doctor flat out told her, "Choose one. Pain management opioid, or marijuana. Test positive again, I won't prescribe for you."

I asked about the policy at MY pain management doctor's office. Turns out, my doctor's policy is that patient consumption of marijuana is not a concern of the doctor.

I thought, "Well, shit, I may as well try the stuff!"

I'm currently using CBD oil daily. In my opinion, using CBD with my prescribed opioid makes it more effective. I also discovered a lovely side effect! Being on pain management often causes a problem. Constipation. It's unremitting. I currently juggle three or four remedies, which can be hit or miss. But using CBD oil is a definite CURE to what TV commercials call OIC--opioid-induced-constipation.

I've also been buying edibles. For days when NOTHING seems to touch the pain, I'll have a dose of edibles. And I find it relaxes me so I don't hurt so damned much, or sometimes even puts me to sleep.

Medical marijuana is a useful product when you have pain.

~VOW
Old 05-13-2019, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Playing "Let's Pretend" is a waste of resources.
I see it as a necessary evil to change the mindset of all the hang wringing "it's a gateway drug!" types who can watch Reefer Madness without laughing or rolling their eyes.

Progress always comes at a cost, and if playing charades for a decade or two so people don't fear the reefer (heh), then fine, pay that cost and let's move on.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethilrist View Post
Awesome that that's working on relieving the symptoms, but have you considered getting that checked up by an actual doctor you trust?
Cost/benefit analysis doesn't pan out. I've managed some low grade GI dysfunction to a satisfactory degree for decades. Lacking a gallbladder has an effect as well. I'm 61 and am looking at quality, not quantity.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:29 PM

If you were planning on suddenly conjuring up a chronic disease, you probably should have done a quick google search. IBS and IBD are completely different diseases that just happen to occur in the same organ. It’s sort of like saying that since you can get certified for lung cancer, you should be able to go to your doctor with asthma and get certified and then saying “I have been suffering from asthma/lung cancer for years and treating it myself so I should get a certification without having to get any evaluation.” This just demonstrates how stupid the “medical marijuana” laws are. Just go ahead and make it legal if you’re going to approve it for medical use. It’s pretty clear that most of those with certifications don’t have an actual medical need and then you end up with doctors like the one cited who basically agree to certify pretty much anybody for enough money. I could be wrong, and she could be very ethically evaluating each case on its merits, but the way that the OP describes how he heard of her and how the interaction went, I sort of doubt it.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:01 AM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

I agree with psychobunny completely. Just legalize the damned stuff. Don't make the medical profession complicit in making it available.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:32 AM

All that yelling! Is your PCP a surgeon?
Old 05-14-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobunny View Post
Just go ahead and make it legal if you’re going to approve it for medical use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
I agree with psychobunny completely. Just legalize the damned stuff.
I agree, but that isn't reality today in Pennsylvania. I'm playing by the rules, even if I think the rules are ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
All that yelling! Is your PCP a surgeon?
Nope.

And he's my ex-PCP.

Quote:
If you want to get toasted, that's your business.
I'm not up with the hip lingo you kids are using, but I'm pretty certain I do not wanna get "toasted". I have beer, wine, and liquor available to me at home. I typically have a glass of wine with dinner and maybe a beer afterwards, but I seldom get "drunk".

Similarly, in the evening I frequently relax with a hit or two of cannabis, yet I do not get "toasted".
Old 05-14-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
I agree, but that isn't reality today in Pennsylvania. I'm playing by the rules, even if I think the rules are ridiculous.
So what's your opinion of people who go "doctor-shopping" for opioid prescriptions?
Old 05-14-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenching Spanners View Post
So what's your opinion of people who go "doctor-shopping" for opioid prescriptions?
I don't really have an opinion of them. If someone is in pain I think their pain should be addressed to the extent medical technology is able to address their pain.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

Just out of curiosity, what will you do if your great new PHP actually cures your PTSD and IBD/IBS?

Regards,
Shodan
Old 05-14-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
I don't really have an opinion of them. If someone is in pain I think their pain should be addressed to the extent medical technology is able to address their pain.
How about if they're not in pain, just like you don't really have IBD or PTSD?

Your new doctor doesn't sound good. Sounds more like a soft touch, which I understand you appreciating in this case.

Last edited by CarnalK; 05-14-2019 at 12:34 PM.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, what will you do if your great new PHP actually cures your PTSD and IBD/IBS?

Regards,
Shodan
As far as IBS/IBD is concerned, I've had gastrointestinal issues my entire adult life. Stress causes a worsening of symptoms, but I've always managed by self medicating with cannabis.

As for PTSD, on researching it I became aware that I have it to some degree, as do most people who have lived an average life over six decades. I had unstable angina/chest pain for six weeks before seeing my doctor. He referred me to a cardiologist who placed a stent in one of my coronary arteries. Since that time I've had nightmares involving chest pain, causing me to wake up thinking I'm having a heart attack. Cannabis stops these dreams.

The doctor who discussed these matters is not my new PCP, as her practice is currently limited to seeing patients seeking certification under PA Medical Marijuana law. Plus, she is not in my health insurance group. I guess I'll frantically search for a new PCP when my next health crises occurs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
How about if they're not in pain, just like you don't really have IBD or PTSD?

Your new doctor doesn'tt sound good. Sounds more like a soft touch, which I understand you appreciating in this case.
Well, I do not judge others. If they are seeking pain meds, I assume they are in pain.

As far as my health, I have gastrointestinal issues and after reading and discussing PTSD, I recognize symptoms of the disorder as things I experience. And as I mentioned previously, she's not my "new doctor", she is a physician recognized by the state as someone who can certify MMJ patients.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:19 PM

Come on. You know perfectly well that your self diagnosis is utterly meaningless. I like marijuana but I have little love for quack* such as the one who gave you a scrip nor a fan of legislation that pushes doctors to prescribe untested treatments.

*so you've got a heart stint. Did the marijuana doctor even suggest that you don't smoke it?
Old 05-14-2019, 08:31 PM

Some people in this thread need to smoke a bowl.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Come on. You know perfectly well that your self diagnosis is utterly meaningless. I like marijuana but I have little love for quack* such as the one who gave you a scrip nor a fan of legislation that pushes doctors to prescribe untested treatments.

*so you've got a heart stint. Did the marijuana doctor even suggest that you don't smoke it?
The other do told him to keep buying it on the street, so maybe it's not that big a deal with his medical history, however he partakes?
Old 05-14-2019, 11:29 PM

Quote:

To say the least.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Smoking marijuana is illegal in PA. Although you can purchase bud, it must be vaped to be 100% legal.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:25 AM

Quote:
OK.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raventhief View Post
The other do told him to keep buying it on the street, so maybe it's not that big a deal with his medical history, however he partakes?

Whatever. So very sorry to harsh you and Helen330's mellow.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Hear hear! And this is from an alcoholic that destroyed his liver drinking a six pack of beer a night for 3 decades and am now firmly ensconced in the Team Marijuana camp. I am prescribed opioids but I don't get that scrip filled. Why? Because I don't want to take them. They make me itchy and constipated and I dislike how I feel when I've taken them. And I don't want to get addicted to them either.

I have alcoholic neuropathy in my legs and sometimes the gabapentin isn't enough. But a couple puffs off a pen and it's all gone, and I can relax. And I'm not even inhaling actual smoke! So very low cancer/carcinogenic risk there too.

I mean seriously...anyone with half a brain knows that legal alcohol ruins more lives, families, causes more auto accidents, etc than marijuana could ever come close to. Drunks tend to make extremely unwise decisions ("I can make it home!") as opposed to a stoner wanting to eat macaroni out of a green bowl.

ETA: and I live in a state where there isn't even a provision for medicinal. Yes, it's a very red state (IN).

Last edited by FoieGrasIsEvil; 05-15-2019 at 09:56 AM.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post
But a couple puffs off a pen and it's all gone, and I can relax.
Good to hear you are managing your pain.

Are you using a disposable pen? Is it draw-activated? (some pens, like one I currently have, lack an off/on button. You just draw to take a hit.)

Anyone know how draw-activated pens work?
Old 05-15-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Good to hear you are managing your pain.

Are you using a disposable pen? Is it draw-activated? (some pens, like one I currently have, lack an off/on button. You just draw to take a hit.)

Anyone know how draw-activated pens work?
It's just a small battery with a 5/10 threading that has an actuator button and buttons to increase/decrease voltage. Has an LED readout up top that shows battery life, counts your draws in seconds for you automatically and shows when it's charging via a USB on the bottom.

The carts are disposable once emptied of oil.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Took longer than I thought in this thread, but there it is. Stoners think everyone should be like them. Maybe some here should stop smoking a bowl for a while, get a new perspective.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post
It's just a small battery with a 5/10 threading that has an actuator button and buttons to increase/decrease voltage. Has an LED readout up top that shows battery life, counts your draws in seconds for you automatically and shows when it's charging via a USB on the bottom.

The carts are disposable once emptied of oil.
OK, I've used ones like that. I'm currently using a pen without an on/off switch. When you draw on it, the battery automatically supplies power (I assume from a pressure difference activating a switch).
Old 05-15-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
Took longer than I thought in this thread, but there it is. Stoners think everyone should be like them. Maybe some here should stop smoking a bowl for a while, get a new perspective.

"Medical Marijuana discussion thread". We are discussing medical marijuana.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
OK, I've used ones like that. I'm currently using a pen without an on/off switch. When you draw on it, the battery automatically supplies power (I assume from a pressure difference activating a switch).
In an effort to try to quit smoking cigarettes on top of quitting booze (well shit, it's been almost two years now come July!) I got one of those Juul devices and they work that way with that auto on when a draw is applied. But as with my battery, the Juul IS the battery and the pods with nicotine juice in them are detachable and disposable once used up.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
It's also just a euphemism for "chill out". I get the pushback kayaker is getting on the means to the end, especially from the medical professionals we have on here, but I also understand his perspective too. It must be nice to be able to legally buy the stuff. I can't and I wish I could.

I think a broader point needs to be made: after all these decades of propagandistic bullshit leveled at marijuana by our very own government, enough people in positions of influence are FINALLY wising up to the fact that it's a relatively innocuous drug, especially when compared to alcohol. I think total legalization in all 50 states and at the federal level is only a matter of when, not if.

So we might as well be frank in our discussions about it, because it's coming.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:

"Medical Marijuana discussion thread". We are discussing medical marijuana.
raventhief and Helena330 were discussing how I'm too uptight and need to smoke a bowl, despite the fact that I had probably already smoked a bowl. Basically that I have a personality problem because I don't have love for doctors who abandon their due diligence so you can self prescribe cannabis.

Last edited by CarnalK; 05-15-2019 at 11:41 AM.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
raventhief and Helena330 were discussing how I'm too uptight and need to smoke a bowl, despite the fact that I had probably already smoked a bowl. Basically that I have a personality problem because I don't have love for doctors who abandon their due diligence so you can self prescribe cannabis.
I think that the issue is that you need to smoke another bowl...

Old 05-15-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
(bolding mine)

Actually, the doctor I met with has not, IMHO, abandoned her due diligence. If anything, she believes that some people are helped by non-mainstream medical care. She is a passionate supporter of patient rights. If you (CarnalK) want to be upset with someone, send your negative feelings to those, like me, who are maybe gaming the system to a small degree.

We good?
Old 05-15-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
I don't actually smoke marijuana. But CarnalK said he likes it, and I think that perhaps he should chill out about someone else's choices in that regard.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Basically that I have a personality problem because I don't have love for doctors who abandon their due diligence so you can self prescribe cannabis.
If it gives you PTSD, I have a suggestion for you.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 05-15-2019, 01:09 PM

It's been legal for use in a number of states for years now. It's been illegal but very widely used in a number of places for a lot longer.

The sky has never fallen, crime rates have not soared, the highways aren't being turned into death traps by stoned drivers.

Everything bad promised by the anti-Marijuana crowd has been proven to be a pack of lies, disinformation and ignorance.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
If it gives you PTSD, I have a suggestion for you.

Regards,
Shodan
Every dispensary I've visited has offered military veterans a 10% discount. PTSD is very common among veterans, as is depression. Just saying.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
(bolding mine)

Actually, the doctor I met with has not, IMHO, abandoned her due diligence. If anything, she believes that some people are helped by non-mainstream medical care. She is a passionate supporter of patient rights. If you (CarnalK) want to be upset with someone, send your negative feelings to those, like me, who are maybe gaming the system to a small degree.

We good?
We're good but I've got to stand by my position. I don't entirely blame you for gaming the system, though since you have ample access iirc I don't know why you bother. But a doctor is put in a position of responsibility and authority, she is abdicating that by just going by her patients wants/feelings.

Before pot got recreational legal here, I just bought from my buddy like I always did. I didn't find a "pot friendly doctor" because I would rather give all my money to a pot dealer over some weak willed airy-fairy doctor.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
It's been legal for use in a number of states for years now. It's been illegal but very widely used in a number of places for a lot longer.

The sky has never fallen, crime rates have not soared, the highways aren't being turned into death traps by stoned drivers.

Everything bad promised by the anti-Marijuana crowd has been proven to be a pack of lies, disinformation and ignorance.
And apparently Irritable Bowel Disease and PTSD are soon to be eradicated as well.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 05-15-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
And apparently Irritable Bowel Disease and PTSD are soon to be eradicated as well.

Regards,
Shodan
No need to be obtuse. No one is claiming pot cures anything anymore than aspirin cures headaches or insulin cures diabetes.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Actually, it's about judging people who are trying the best they can to manage their issues in our sucky health "system". The last time I smoked was last November when I was smoking a low THC-strain. It was recommended to me by an excellent budtender who understood that I needed to manage extreme anxiety, not get high. You see, my husband was hospitalized across the country after having a heart attack. He had open heart surgery. My doctor told me to try deep-breathing and gave me an antihistamine to help me sleep. I thought she was kidding. The weed helped take off the panicky edge.

My husband died. I haven't smoked any weed since then, but I'm not going to judge anyone for how they manage their lives. Or how they acquire what they use. I blame the system and not the people, unlike those in this thread who sit in judgment.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:58 AM

Quote:
We're good but I've got to stand by my position. I don't entirely blame you for gaming the system, though since you have ample access iirc I don't know why you bother.
I like the idea that I'm legal. For 45 years I've broken the law every time I've purchased or used cannabis. Feels good to do it legally.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:26 AM

Quote:

Regards,
Shodan
Here are the 21 conditions Pennsylvania allows treatment with medical marijuana. I'm sure you can find plenty of laughs in the list.

Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis
Autism
Cancer
Crohn's Disease
Dyskinetic Disorders
Damage to the nervous tissue of the spinal cord with objective neurological indication of intractable spasticity
Epilepsy
Glaucoma
HIV / AIDS
Huntington's Disease
Inflammatory Bowel Disease
Intractable Seizures
Multiple Sclerosis
Neurodegenerative Disorders
Neuropathies
Opioid Use Disorder
Parkinson's Disease
Post-traumatic Stress Disorder
Severe chronic or intractable pain of neuropathic origin or severe chronic or intractable pain in which conventional therapeutic intervention and opiate therapy is contraindicated or ineffective
Sickle Cell Anemia
Terminal Illness

Tourette's and Anxiety are currently under consideration.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:46 AM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

Quote:
Here are the 21 conditions Pennsylvania allows treatment with medical marijuana. I'm sure you can find plenty of laughs in the list.
And the bona fide, scientifically demonstrated effectiveness of marijuana on those diagnoses is pretty close to zero. Reports of usefulness of pot on those entities are based on anecdotes 99+% of the time.

Now I'm sure people report relief of symptoms; pot works great for making most folks feel better. Works better than alcohol, for sure. Safer, too.

And while pot does lower intra-ocular pressure, it needs to be consumed every 2 hours to do so effectively; i.e. enough to prevent actual blindness from developing due to elevated pressure. Eye drops and eye surgery are better options.

Once we study the various active components of pot, I'm sure we'll find some demonstrated uses for it. But touting it as a fix for nearly everything then making physicians complicit in approving it remains ludicrous.