Old 10-18-2013, 08:42 AM

How to bring my website to the top of google?

I have a small company named after my last name, which is also unique (I am the last descendant of my very small family). When I google the name I get results from company directory listings instead of my website.

Is there any way to bump my website to the top of google searches?
Old 10-18-2013, 08:48 AM

Yes. You pay Google.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
Yes. You pay Google.
How?
Old 10-18-2013, 09:06 AM

I don't know, but a small company I worked for in 2002, or so, did just that; they paid Google to have our company name come up on top when a specific technology search was performed.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:11 AM

Why do you want your company to be top result for a search by name? How likely is it that people will try to google your company by name? (as opposed to finding you by a search for whatever service you provide).

The thing you're looking for is called SEO (Search Engine Optimization), but a lot 'SEO agent' services will take your money and deliver nothing, or will use unethical practices to deliver an effect that looks better in a short term, but worse than nothing in the longer term.

What service does your company provide? If it's something fairly unique and interesting, you could just start your own blog about it and try to get interested other bloggers to link/write on it too.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

http://static.googleusercontent.com/...rter-guide.pdf

Here's a starting point.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:19 AM

Other than the likelihood that buying Google ads pushes you up the rankings, it's called SEO - search engine optimization - and be forewarned that 95% of it is bullshit and voodoo.

You start by making sure your site conforms to search requirements and then load in keywords and content in certain ways. It's then a matter of getting as many cross-links with other sites and so forth. Those are the legitimate, "white hat" methods and the only ones that work.

When you get into "black hat" techniques, it's trying to outguess, fool or bypass Google's algorithms and while certain tactics work, Google will detect some and they will backfire - you will go down in search rankings or even be blacklisted. Trying to cram your pages with hidden keywords is one bad technique. Using any kind of spam or bogus posting scheme to up your link count is another. Hiring alley firms in Korea or Poland to pump your visits and links is expensive and iffy.

The only proven way is to (1) optimize your site structure and code; (2) use Google's webmaster tools to enter as much back-channel information as you can; (3) try to get as many "organic" cross-listings and hits as possible; and (4) wait. Buying some Google Ads with a budget of $50-500 a month can help, both "organically" - driving interested traffic to your site - and probably "FOAFily" as Google likes money.

I would invest $10 in an SEO book and not pay anyone, anywhere another dime for it. Most SEO firms might as well be offering Psychic Readings and stock tips, if not wet work.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
I don't know, but a small company I worked for in 2002, or so, did just that; they paid Google to have our company name come up on top when a specific technology search was performed.
I suspect you mean that they bought Google Ads. You can set up your ad to come up (on the right) when any keyword combination you specify is searched; they later added a more expensive option to have it appear at the top of the main search list. The cost is by bids per impression and click-through. If you are the only supplier of left-threaded plastic ball bearings, you can bid very low amounts - pennies - and if you're trying to compete in hot market segments, you can bid $10-100 or more and not be assured of frequent impressions.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:24 AM

"They" say (sorry, that's the only site I have) that Google rankings are largely based on how many other pages point to your page. So spread around your links everywhere you can. For instance, put a link to your site in your signature, and then post a lot on websites that allow signatures. Have all your relatives/friends/employees do the same.

I don't know it it will work, but it's free. I've done it and it (anecdotally) seems to help.

PS - I've tried the Google Ad thing, too. My own sales statistics show that it didn't up sales by a dime. It may or may not have driven traffic to my site, but certainly not buying traffic.

Last edited by Tim R. Mortiss; 10-18-2013 at 09:26 AM.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:26 AM

"FOAFily?"
Old 10-18-2013, 09:48 AM

Dog80, the best advice I can give you is to read Amateur Barbarian's posts very carefully, then read them again.

They say everything I say to my clients, who sadly fail to believe me
Old 10-18-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. Mortiss View Post
"They" say (sorry, that's the only site I have) that Google rankings are largely based on how many other pages point to your page. So spread around your links everywhere you can. For instance, put a link to your site in your signature, and then post a lot on websites that allow signatures. Have all your relatives/friends/employees do the same.

I don't know it it will work, but it's free. I've done it and it (anecdotally) seems to help...
Agreed that this is free and unlikely to do any harm, so is worth doing. But my understanding is that to be truly effective, the inbound links need to be from sites that have a high ranking themselves.

Amateur Barbarian may have some input on that?
Old 10-18-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDog View Post
Dog80, the best advice I can give you is to read Amateur Barbarian's posts very carefully, then read them again.
<fx exaggerated oriental bow /fx>

Quote:
They say everything I say to my clients, who sadly fail to believe me
The SEO firms are so good at self-promotion and BS that when you tell a new client anything like "it's mostly voodoo" they end the meeting. And, honestly, I'm usually happy to leave. The ones that listen for the subsequent five minutes usually end up happy with what I do for them... partly because it's a fraction of the cost of Industrial SEOing.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:10 AM

Does your company have a Wikipedia page? That could help, no?
Old 10-18-2013, 11:01 AM

In general, Google keeps everything about its algorithms highly secret and at least nominally "fair and honest," which is why there's an entire industry in trying to game them. They have made two or three major revisions of the process and (again, in general) their aim has been to emphasize quality and "organicness" of links and clicks over sheer quantity, which had a greater effect in the earlier days.

And to drive participants to the pay end of their services, but that's neither here, there nor on the first page of search returns.

Last edited by Amateur Barbarian; 10-18-2013 at 11:02 AM.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Barbarian View Post
Other than the likelihood that buying Google ads pushes you up the rankings, it's called SEO - search engine optimization - and be forewarned that 95% of it is bullshit and voodoo.

You start by making sure your site conforms to search requirements and then load in keywords and content in certain ways. It's then a matter of getting as many cross-links with other sites and so forth. Those are the legitimate, "white hat" methods and the only ones that work.

When you get into "black hat" techniques, it's trying to outguess, fool or bypass Google's algorithms and while certain tactics work, Google will detect some and they will backfire - you will go down in search rankings or even be blacklisted. Trying to cram your pages with hidden keywords is one bad technique. Using any kind of spam or bogus posting scheme to up your link count is another. Hiring alley firms in Korea or Poland to pump your visits and links is expensive and iffy.

The only proven way is to (1) optimize your site structure and code; (2) use Google's webmaster tools to enter as much back-channel information as you can; (3) try to get as many "organic" cross-listings and hits as possible; and (4) wait. Buying some Google Ads with a budget of $50-500 a month can help, both "organically" - driving interested traffic to your site - and probably "FOAFily" as Google likes money.

I would invest $10 in an SEO book and not pay anyone, anywhere another dime for it. Most SEO firms might as well be offering Psychic Readings and stock tips, if not wet work.
Completely agree on every point.

One of the best ways to improve your 'organic' traffic is to offer fresh content that people will find useful, interesting or fun - this can be really simple, like a review of products relevant to your market sector, or an editorial type blog talking about developments and news in your industry, or (if you have the talent and imagination for it) a series of wacky videos that people want to watch without realising they're burning your brand into their brains (best example of the latter I can think of is Will It Blend)

Content, content, content. Even if your service is the same from one day to the next, you can suck in a lot of traffic by serving up fresh, regular content of some kind.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog80 View Post
How?
You can buy keyword placements from Google, and you'd buy the keyword of your company name. When you search for something like "clothing", you'll see a yellow box at the top of the results-- that box is an ad placed by whatever company bid the most money for the word "clothing" (and considering geolocation, language, and other targeting factors.)

If you do any advertising, ask your agency about it.

Other than that, you can "naturally" bubble-up to the top of Google, but it takes time. Guidelines here are:

1) Don't do anything sleazy to influence your rank (like: hiring a spammer to post it all over various forums). It might work in the short run, but the instant Google discovers it (and they will, sooner or later), you'll shoot straight to the bottom and stay there.

2) Make sure your website is up-to-snuff, for example, make sure all your images have "alt" tags, make sure any text content Google would like to index isn't hidden in JavaScript, make sure all your links are working and there's no 404s, etc.

3) Sign up for Google Webmaster Tools, and participate in all of them. Particularly important for search ranking is creating a site map.

4) Be patient. One of the factors determining placement is how long the site has existed at its current location, and how stable it is. It takes years for relatively common keywords; it sounds like you have a pretty unique one so it should go more quickly for you.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Does your company have a Wikipedia page? That could help, no?
Against Wikipedia rules. You can try creating one, but don't be surprised when Wikipedia deletes it.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakeyrat View Post
Against Wikipedia rules. You can try creating one, but don't be surprised when Wikipedia deletes it.
What rule? I just looked the Wikipedia pages for 3 or 4 companies I used to work for.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:
What rule? I just looked the Wikipedia pages for 3 or 4 companies I used to work for.
Notability. Not every small company rates the space. There has to be value beyond promotion and yellow-pages content.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:11 PM

There is no magic in SEO. Google puts the most interesting web sites at the top.

Is your site interesting? Do people actually want to read it? If not, that should be your first step. As Mangetout says, a blog can help, if you update it regularly (say, weekly). I can give a few pointers if you like.

Also, heed the advice above about avoiding shady methods. Ask yourself this: are you optimizing your content, or are you gaming the system? If you're trying to game the system, it will come back to bite you one day.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Large companies don't have a problem getting into Wikipedia because they generally do notable things and have plenty of sources pointing to them. I don't know what size of company you've worked for.

But small businesses are rarely going to be able to meet Wikipedia's notability requirement, and since there's also a "no promotional materials" rule, there'd be nothing to base a Wiki article on.

Last edited by Blakeyrat; 10-18-2013 at 04:47 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Barbarian View Post
Notability. Not every small company rates the space. There has to be value beyond promotion and yellow-pages content.
Quote:
Large companies don't have a problem getting into Wikipedia because they generally do notable things and have plenty of sources pointing to them. I don't know what size of company you've worked for.

But small businesses are rarely going to be able to meet Wikipedia's notability requirement, and since there's also a "no promotional materials" rule, there'd be nothing to base a Wiki article on.
Ignorance fought.

Thanks.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Particularly important for search ranking is creating a site map.
Oh, is THAT what they're for? I see them on so many sites, but I've never heard of anyone using one.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog80 View Post
I have a small company named after my last name, which is also unique (I am the last descendant of my very small family). When I google the name I get results from company directory listings instead of my website.

Is there any way to bump my website to the top of google searches?
I think the problem is your business site has more links to it then your personal site so it comes up higher in the rankings.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronX View Post
Oh, is THAT what they're for? I see them on so many sites, but I've never heard of anyone using one.
You might be a bit confused. Human-readable site maps are indeed pretty old-school-- they're pretty rare now and not necessary for a quality site.

The site map Google wants is for machine consumption. Basically, instead of having Google guess the layout of your site, you can tell it exactly how your site is laid out, and you can also tell it how often content is likely to change-- for example, a blog index might change daily but a homepage might only change once a month, if you provide Google with that information it'll index your pages more often.

This also allows Google to list a few extra links to your site when it comes up in the results. For example, if I search for "Ford", I get:
Ford Focus - CompareFord.com‎
www.compareford.com/‎
Find Your Nearest Ford Dealer Today & See Focus Offers!
Build & Price - View Current Offers - Locate a Dealer - Search Dealer Inventory
Those links at the bottom -- Build & Price, View Current Offers, Locate a Dealer, Search Dealer Inventory -- are defined in the website's site map. If you don't have a site map, Google can't place those extra links because it's not sure exactly how your site is laid-out.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

Isn't that result of a search on Ford the advertisement that appears at the top of the search results?
Old 10-22-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Isn't that result of a search on Ford the advertisement that appears at the top of the search results?
In that specific case, I chose the first result that wasn't an ad.

Note that Google gives different results to different people based on location, history, A/B testing, etc. So just because I got fordcompare.com as the first result doesn't mean you necessarily will.