Old 09-25-2016, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telperion View Post
Yeah, zone 36 has been like a brick wall for me so far since I can't keep up with Coordination research. Last game I even focused on Trumps and housing and was still short a good 2,500 trimps when I got there.
Quote:
I'm doing the Size challenge and it hurts even more than I had expected because with the work force halved you still need the same amount of trainers to block effectively.
What's even worse is that the new housing unit you unlock at zone 37 (wormholes) are basically unusable, because they cost helium to build, and it's not worth it to spend any of such a precious resource on them until much later (I just bought one wormhole last run to get the achievement, and portaled shortly after). According to the Wiki, this is the only housing structure that uses helium, and the next level of housing doesn't require it. But it also doesn't come until zone 50.

Makes for an extremely tough bottleneck since as you observe, it's not possible to build enough housing to keep up with Coordination.
Old 09-25-2016, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigamarole View Post
Makes for an extremely tough bottleneck since as you observe, it's not possible to build enough housing to keep up with Coordination.
At least the perk from the Size challenge houses an extra 10% per level, so that should help. I've got Tauntimp too, but so far I haven't seen much of a boost from that.
Old 09-25-2016, 01:11 PM

No Miners is boooooooring. I made it to zone 12, and it's either wait for the trimps to take 5 minutes to kill a monster, or zerg zerg zerg constantly to do any damage.
Old 09-25-2016, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
No Miners is boooooooring. I made it to zone 12, and it's either wait for the trimps to take 5 minutes to kill a monster, or zerg zerg zerg constantly to do any damage.
I'm doing it now. So far it's okay. I'm just cranking up my block and cruising through maps. Only at zone 9 at the moment though. I just don't like having to leave the game running in a separate window to mine.
Old 09-25-2016, 02:24 PM

Quote:
One thing that helped was to make maps with metal and run through them a few times for the bonus and to be able to afford weapon upgrades.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:36 AM

I'm at zone 32 and I think it's about time to do my first portal - what are the best things to spend on early? It seems like Bait and Looting are both good choices.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:44 AM

Quote:
One thing that helped was to make maps with metal and run through them a few times for the bonus and to be able to afford weapon upgrades.
That's what I wound up doing, and I finally completed the run. Now it's my strategy for the next run. I used to have 3 times as many miners as farmers and carpenters. Now half my Trimps are farmers, 1/3 are carpenters, and I have more trainers than miners. I choose Mountains for maps to get my metal & gems. I otherwise build to increase block rating, which means wood for gyms and food for trainers.

I mainly have been using helium to increase productivity, and traded my first 50 bones for Whipimps, which increase productivity when defeated. I bought the The Artisan/Heirloom feature after completing the No Miner option, and the purple tag shows up, but I haven't seen any further development from that.

When do we get to go past zone 25?
Old 09-27-2016, 09:36 AM

Looting is definitely the go to early perk. It affects the helium you gather in each zone (except the zone 20 Blimp, that's a constant value of 45 helium).

I've always been a fan of Trumps, especially when doing the size challenge.

Power and toughness are also good to have.

Congrats on getting to 32 on your first portal though! When I'm starting a new game, I usually portal at 25 the first couple of times to build up my looting, trumps, power and toughness.

I am self-imposing a rule where I am only able to use the portal on Mondays Its really slowed the progression down, but it's kind of fun watching how much further I can get the next week.

My progression through 7 weeks is 35, 48 (metal challenge), 48 (size challenge), 63 (scientist challenge), 65 (Discipline challenge), 76 (scientist II challenge), 78 (Meditate challenge).

I am currently up to zone 68 for this week and am running the Trimp challenge.

I am a big fan of wormholes, once you are progressing to level 40+ regularly. To get to 50 in any meaningful time, I spend all helium I've earned up to 37 on wormholes, then never buy another one. The helium is the helium earned after buying wormholes. (Week 5 and 6 I accidentally bought extra worm holes after 37 )

Code:
Week	Zone	Bone	Helium	Wormholes
1	35	23	234	0
2	48	 4	410	17
3	48	28	567	19
4	63	13	3321	19
5	65	42	6102	25
6	76	21	14.2K	25
7	78	45	16.5K	24
Old 09-28-2016, 01:53 PM

OK, I've been playing this for about a week and have portaled twice. Sorry if I'm missing something obvious here, but what exactly does "respec" mean? The game doesn't tell you, and the wiki doesn't either. It seems like it just assumes the player knows, but as far as I can tell from context, it means resetting your perks to zero. But why would I want to do that? Perks are more powerful; what good would it do me to reduce them?
Old 09-28-2016, 02:49 PM

I haven't tried it myself, but based on other games I've played, "Respec" means you're reimbursed the helium points you earned and can spend them in a different way. As you play the game more often, you might figure out a more optimal way to spread your points and want to do a little tweaking.

Last edited by Knowed Out; 09-28-2016 at 02:50 PM.
Old 09-28-2016, 02:59 PM

You may also need to specialize perks to take on different challenges, such as for Size you'll want Trumps as high as you can get to make sure you can increase Coordination.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcite View Post
OK, I've been playing this for about a week and have portaled twice. Sorry if I'm missing something obvious here, but what exactly does "respec" mean? The game doesn't tell you, and the wiki doesn't either. It seems like it just assumes the player knows, but as far as I can tell from context, it means resetting your perks to zero. But why would I want to do that? Perks are more powerful; what good would it do me to reduce them?
You get all your helium points back to spend again, if you do this while portalling, you also get your accumulated points from this run. You can do this once per portal.
Old 09-28-2016, 06:39 PM

Quote:
You may also need to specialize perks to take on different challenges, such as for Size you'll want Trumps as high as you can get to make sure you can increase Coordination.
Makes sense. I hadn't thought you would get the helium back, and as I mentioned, neither the game nor the wiki tells you. Though I also posted about this on Reddit, and someone who maintains the wiki updated the article, so now it does tell you.
Old 09-28-2016, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Makes sense. I hadn't thought you would get the helium back, and as I mentioned, neither the game nor the wiki tells you. Though I also posted about this on Reddit, and someone who maintains the wiki updated the article, so now it does tell you.
The assumption I had from what I had gathered was that you got all your helium back, but you could only do it once, ever, as it said "per run" and everything else that talked about a soft reset said "per portal." I was incorrect in this assumption, and lost out on many respeccing opportunities in my first few runs.

If you haven't respecced yet on a run, you may want to towards the end to try to tweak out a couple more zones. You should gain enough helium to put back anything that speeds things up in the early zones.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:42 PM

My awkward confession:

On my second run, I was around zone 20 and trying to figure out why the hell I hadn't found the shield upgrade from hitpoints->blocking. I had to go to the wiki to figure out that you get it from running the first unique map you find.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
If you haven't respecced yet on a run, you may want to towards the end to try to tweak out a couple more zones. You should gain enough helium to put back anything that speeds things up in the early zones.
But if you respec in mid-run, can you spend helium then and there on perks? I was under the impression the only time you can spend helium and get perks is when you portal.
Old 09-29-2016, 03:24 AM

Quote:
But if you respec in mid-run, can you spend helium then and there on perks?
Sure can.
Old 09-29-2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:
But if you respec in mid-run, can you spend helium then and there on perks? I was under the impression the only time you can spend helium and get perks is when you portal.
You can spend all the helium that you have gathered on previous runs. I am pretty sure you don't get to spend the helium you have gotten so far this run.
Old 09-29-2016, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
You can spend all the helium that you have gathered on previous runs. I am pretty sure you don't get to spend the helium you have gotten so far this run.
Ah yeah, should have clarified that. If you get a new perk (i.e. through completing a challenge), you can respec in order to spend points on that. But you only get to spend the helium you had when you started the run. Correct that the newly-earned helium only carries over to the next run.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:46 AM

I still haven't figured out how to get past zone 25. I get a snarky "Ooh, you're such a rebel" message and the zone repeats. Has anybody done it?
Old 09-30-2016, 08:58 AM

Quote:
I still haven't figured out how to get past zone 25. I get a snarky "Ooh, you're such a rebel" message and the zone repeats. Has anybody done it?
I've never even seen that. Maybe you need to finish the Dimension of Anger first?
Old 09-30-2016, 10:33 AM

Still slogging along on the Metal challenge. It started getting slow around zone 12 or 13. Making progress though. On zone 17 now.
Old 09-30-2016, 02:29 PM

Quote:
I've never even seen that. Maybe you need to finish the Dimension of Anger first?
I purposely avoided Anger so I could see what happens when I don't go that route. Got stuck in repeat 25 mode, so I finished Anger and got the reset. Some folks here are talking about working the Size challenge, which you can't reach until level 35. Maybe I'm confusing zone with level, but I don't see that I'm level anything.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:40 PM

You can squeeze some extra storage of your food and wood before you head out away from your computer by banking it in a "max" order of traps.
Old 09-30-2016, 11:10 PM

OK, got to level 26. Don't know what I did right.
Old 10-01-2016, 03:01 PM

On zone 49 today, pushing for zone 50 in order to hit Collectors (have portaled 5 times so far). Even with 8 ranks of Carpentry and 20 Wormholes, stopped being able to keep up with Coordination a few zones ago and slogged through by beefing up my block as much as possible. Carpentry is definitely essential to getting higher.

And beat my first Void Map and got an heirloom shield that gives +4% block multiplier, so that's cool.

Also I've bought Whipimps and Tauntimps and am happy with both (at zone 49, I'm getting +51.1% production speed from the Whipimps and 6K of my 120K Trimps are from Tauntimps). Not sure what to buy next from the Bone Trader though... a permanent upgrade seems better than a one-time deal, but the other imps don't seem too impressive. Maybe buy another heirloom for 30 bones? I don't know.
Old 10-01-2016, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch View Post
You can squeeze some extra storage of your food and wood before you head out away from your computer by banking it in a "max" order of traps.
I don't get it. How does that get you extra storage of food and wood? All that gets you is a bunch of extra traps. Is there a way to convert them back into food and wood?
Old 10-01-2016, 03:26 PM

Quote:
I don't get it. How does that get you extra storage of food and wood? All that gets you is a bunch of extra traps. Is there a way to convert them back into food and wood?
Assuming the foremen haven't completed the order when you return, you can cancel whatever is remaining in the build queue for a refund on the resource cost of whatever's left (this goes for any buildings in the build queue).

Personally though I just try to plan for enough forges/sheds/barns to hold production overnight or whatever, if possible. It's a little irritating that there is an Auto-Storage upgrade apparently, but you have to progress extremely far in the game before that unlocks (complete a Void Map on zone 150+).

Last edited by Rigamarole; 10-01-2016 at 03:29 PM.
Old 10-01-2016, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Personally though I just try to plan for enough forges/sheds/barns to hold production overnight or whatever, if possible.
Yes - absolutely. This just squeezes a little extra out. I doubt it makes a difference, but this is a min/max game to begin with.
Old 10-01-2016, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch View Post
Yes - absolutely. This just squeezes a little extra out. I doubt it makes a difference, but this is a min/max game to begin with.
I just build whatever I can afford before I go to bed. It's not like there's any such thing as too many houses.
Old 10-01-2016, 08:17 PM

Quote:
I just build whatever I can afford before I go to bed. It's not like there's any such thing as too many houses.
Right - I'm saying max out all the buildings you can build, and squeeze out the last drops of utility by doing a "max" trap build.
Old 10-01-2016, 08:58 PM

Before I finish playing for the day, I upgrade all my container buildings as high as possible. Next morning, maximum resource joy.
Old 10-02-2016, 10:42 AM

Got through the Metal challenge, and got all my miners back. I'll do a few more levels, make some more helium and then it's on to the next challenge I guess.
Old 10-02-2016, 03:40 PM

Trying out Size. Maxed out my trumps and got to zone 12. Be glad when this is over. :-)
Old 10-03-2016, 10:37 AM

Finished Size. It wasn't so bad after all. I wound up getting more resources made and ready to spend.

I'm trying out max Range and Power this time out, to see if it helps with Void. So far, I'm outpacing my resource output and having to wait for it to catch up. I'll see how it gets in later zones.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:53 AM

Hmm, weird, my response disappeared, but I did say Congrats on Size . Hope you are enjoying your carpentry perk.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:13 PM

Got the new perk Carpentry and maxed it out. Nonstop clicking ensued and I had to take a break.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:07 AM

Broke the planet finally! Had portaled 6 times, and was running this build. Was really relying on my high block though since I was so far behind in Coordination... now that enemies on 60+ have that block-piercing ability, it's quite tough. But on the bright side, the 90% reduction in equipment costs makes it possible to actually catch up a bit in that department. I want to see if I can get a bit further, but will likely be portaling again soon.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:08 AM

Wow, you must be a lot more patient than me, I get to about zone 45 and then progress slows to a crawl because my army gets instakilled by snimps most of the time and I restart. It's a bit scary that Trimptopia has a casualty rate of about 15,000% of the population, too.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Wow, you must be a lot more patient than me, I get to about zone 45 and then progress slows to a crawl because my army gets instakilled by snimps most of the time and I restart. It's a bit scary that Trimptopia has a casualty rate of about 15,000% of the population, too.
Are you getting the Gymystic on zone 45? Keep in mind that you get one every 5 levels up through 55, and those + as many gyms you can buy is absolutely crucial for maxing out your block (it becomes much more important than the shield. In fact - shield starts becoming pretty useless compared to gyms). Through most of the 50s, enemies weren't doing any damage to me at all because my block was higher than their entire attack range. It still took a long time to chip away at their massive health pools compared to my meager attack value, but it was doable.

Also, prioritize food production and tributes, because gems become your most important and limited resource later when you need to build Collectors (they cost a ton of gems). And even moreso later for Warpstations, I'm learning now.

Last edited by Rigamarole; 10-04-2016 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Are you getting the Gymystic on zone 45?
I looked just now and apparently my highest run noped out on zone 44 because it was taking too long. I'd probably do better on it now with a couple more perks, so I'll give it another shot. I need to unlock more challenges anyway, and Scientist 2 looks like it could be useful.
Old 10-04-2016, 02:39 PM

One thing I've been curious about on these types of games, is there a mathematical formula that you can use to optimize your workforce? Is it more optimal to have 10K miners and 1K farmers to keep your gear up to date, or is it more optimal to have 10K farmers and 1K miners so you can have more trimps faster?

(I know, I left wood out but I was trying to keep it simple and 2 variables is easier than 3).
Old 10-04-2016, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyanthia View Post
One thing I've been curious about on these types of games, is there a mathematical formula that you can use to optimize your workforce? Is it more optimal to have 10K miners and 1K farmers to keep your gear up to date, or is it more optimal to have 10K farmers and 1K miners so you can have more trimps faster?

(I know, I left wood out but I was trying to keep it simple and 2 variables is easier than 3).
There are just way too many variables for one clean formula. And the state of the game changes significantly at certain key points, so it's best to focus on those:

Early zones: a roughly equal ratio of all 3 resources is fine.

Late 30s through 59: prioritize food production (not for "having more Trimps faster" though, but so you can buy as many tributes as possible to increase your gem production). You will need the gems in order to buy as many Collectors as possible from 50-59. But also make sure you have enough wood to buy enough gyms to keep your block higher than the enemy's attack (this isn't that hard when you hit the key Gymystic levels: 40/45/50/55). As long as you meet that requirement, you don't need any more wood.

Metal is not as important during these levels, because the cost of higher tier equipment becomes prohibitively high and you don't need it if your block meets the minimum standard explained above. As long as you have at least ~700 Qa combined health and block (and it will be almost entirely block), you can make it through 59 and stop purchasing any equipment upgrades.

60+: After breaking the planet at zone 60, all the equipment costs are reduced by 90%, and at this point metal becomes extremely important and should be prioritized. Not only for that reason, but also because Warpstations cost a massive amount of metal in addition to gems. My ratio of farmers/lumberjacks/miners now is roughly 2:1:4.

Last edited by Rigamarole; 10-04-2016 at 03:00 PM.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:43 PM

I've found it's important to have about half farmers in the first 20-30 levels, because food is usually the biggest component of housing structures, followed closely by wood. Also, food costs for trainers get high really quick. Wood of course is essential for blocking shields and gyms. The problem with metal is that you don't need much of it when weapons & armor are levels I-IV, but at higher levels you do, and lots of it. I usually wind up with a crapload of Weapon and Armor Upgrades I can't afford, and when I do buy them, I have to wait forever till I can make actual items. Using perks that increase trimp productivity helps considerably.

I also thought I didn't need that many Explorers, 4-5 at most. But when Gateways become unlocked, now I need hundreds. :-)
Old 10-05-2016, 03:22 AM

I've only gotten up to about zone 37. But so far I've found that keeping the upgrade setting on "Equip" allows me to get the best possible points for the least resources. I only buy shield, dagger, and occasionally boots. By keeping it on Equip these are always upgraded first, and so I never have to pay the high price of swords and breastplates to have the highest available damage and health. I never even buy the upgrades for the other equipment.

Last edited by TruCelt; 10-05-2016 at 03:25 AM.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:57 AM

I got through the "size" challenge last night. I really barely noticed it. There are fewer of them, but they accomplish more, so it pretty much balances out. The Trimp bonus at the end of the Anger map was delicious, though.

Folks keep talking about maxing out "Trumps". I've never bought that one, it seems pretty useless, really. All that helium for an extra 8 or 9 Trimps per level? It seems to me that carpentry and motivation will get you a lot more for a lot less, although I haven't done the math.
Old 10-05-2016, 09:37 AM

I maxed out Carpentry and Motivation for this go-round, and it had a weird effect. I didn't get any Upgrades for weapons and armor II until zone 15. I think those Upgrades occur in Maps. I kept going through all the World zones on Autofight. Even though I was nickle-and-diming the monster imps a lot more than usual, my reproduction rate kept up to the point where there was no idle combat time. I finally put a stop to it and created a Map, then found the Upgrades.
Old 10-05-2016, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruCelt View Post
Folks keep talking about maxing out "Trumps". I've never bought that one, it seems pretty useless, really. All that helium for an extra 8 or 9 Trimps per level? It seems to me that carpentry and motivation will get you a lot more for a lot less, although I haven't done the math.
Carpentry works on Trumps too, which makes every territory expansion give about 20 trimps after some upgrades. It's somewhat less useful at higher zones when housing is better, but it's nice not to have to build a lot of houses at the start.
Old 10-05-2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruCelt View Post
I've only gotten up to about zone 37. But so far I've found that keeping the upgrade setting on "Equip" allows me to get the best possible points for the least resources. I only buy shield, dagger, and occasionally boots. By keeping it on Equip these are always upgraded first, and so I never have to pay the high price of swords and breastplates to have the highest available damage and health. I never even buy the upgrades for the other equipment.
When I get stuck, I run a metal map, on repeat forever. This can triple or more your metal production.

Also makes sure you are current on all your upgrades.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:19 PM

I'm doing Size now. Hit zone 14 and things are getting rough. Just need to let the game sit a bit and build resources. I was kind of hurrying to get through the challenge. I did get a bonus for clearing The Block within a few hours or so.

I'll have to try this "Equip" thing.

Spent bones and got my first Imp-ort, a Whipimp.