Old 09-16-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
Revival are tag champs? Guess they're not heading to AEW just yet.
Am I the only one surprised by New Day losing? I figured they would be the "figureheads" for Smackdown on Fox, with all three of them (including Kofi) holding belts. I suppose they can fix that with the WWE Draft...
Old 09-16-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
Am I the only one surprised by New Day losing? I figured they would be the "figureheads" for Smackdown on Fox, with all three of them (including Kofi) holding belts. I suppose they can fix that with the WWE Draft...
With Kofi holding the title they need to make room for other wrestlers. Why Revival now have the belts I have no idea, but maybe keeping them out of AEW was worth that much.

Also, why did Charlotte and Bayley get the short shrift? Great match for Becky and Banks though.

What really makes no sense is having Seth and Brawn dropping their tag team titles. That takes away the whole storyline of them being a tag team after the title match. That would be when they drop the titles because they couldn't effectively team together, and then they can continue their singles title feud from that.

Is there some kind of school for wrestling writers advertised on the back of matchbooks? It seems that's where these guys got their training.
Old 09-16-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds View Post
No one in the "short career" thread cares, so I thought I'd address this here. Austin's career started in WCCW (Von Erich territory) in the late 80s/early 90s and he got a decent push right out of the gate, moved to WCW (Dangerous Alliance and Hollywood Blondes tag team with Brian Pillman), and a short stint in ECW before his 8 years (1995 to 2003) in WWE. The Stone Cold era started 96-97, so even that is ~6 years.
i remember the personal drama he had with Chris Adams who "discovered" him after Adams wife left him for steve (it wouldn't be the first time that happened either)
Old 09-18-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
i remember the personal drama he had with Chris Adams who "discovered" him after Adams wife left him for steve (it wouldn't be the first time that happened either)
That was back when he had hair.

WCCW had some horrible shit happen to them with the deaths of Gino Hernandez and all the Von Erich brothers except for Kevin. The only babyface they had left was Eric Embry, who they really really tried to get over, but he looked like a lump of clay with toothpicks for arms.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That was back when he had hair.

WCCW had some horrible shit happen to them with the deaths of Gino Hernandez and all the Von Erich brothers except for Kevin. The only babyface they had left was Eric Embry, who they really really tried to get over, but he looked like a lump of clay with toothpicks for arms.
Eric Embry...now there is a name one doesn't often hear.

Bit of nostalgia...the very first enziguri I ever saw, long before I knew what it was called, was by Embry onto Dory Funk Jr. on Championship Wrestling from Florida. I had to be about 12 and this would have been very early in Embry's career. I knew wrestling was staged, but didn't realize just how hard the wrestlers would sometimes hit, and Embry connected with all of that kick. It was one of those early learning moments about "the business". Also, I was amazed that Funk was still alive, let alone able to continue the match. If it were me, I'd still lying be on that Florida mat wondering if I'll ever get up again.

Also, my spell check keeps wanting to correct Embry to embryo, so there's that.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:53 AM

I read Embry's wiki, and it said he lived in the Dallas Sportatorium while he worked in WCCW. One of my coworkers did that when I worked at a heavy equipment dealership.

Missed the NXT premiere on USA last night. Thought it would be rebroadcast on the Network, but they only showed the 2nd hour. Gotta set up the DVR anyway for when AEW begins.
Old 09-19-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Missed the NXT premiere on USA last night. Thought it would be rebroadcast on the Network, but they only showed the 2nd hour. Gotta set up the DVR anyway for when AEW begins.
I thought they said that each whole show would be available in the On Demand section 24 hours after it aired. There's also an hour broadcast scheduled for the network tonight; maybe that's the second hour?
Old 09-20-2019, 08:28 AM

They presented the 2nd hour after the 1st hour aired on USA yesterday, and today they have the whole show.

I'm really digging the Killian Dane vs Matt Riddle feud. They wreck da HOUSE! Dane saved his career when he returned to NXT.
Old 09-24-2019, 02:28 PM

Authors of Pain are back, but I'm not sure what WWE intends with them. They've been in no-interviewer interviews where they both wear suits, talk in their respective native languages, and the English translation appears at the bottom. Usually, it's "Everybody in WWE is afraid of us and avoid us" etc.

This week, they decide to break the "interview" and go outside the studio into the service hallway. They find Heath Slater and a few other jobbers standing around, and they engage in a scuffle that lasts about 5 seconds. No throwing jobbers into walls, no hitting them with props, no crashes and no shit falling over. All very underwhelming. They then return to the studio, say "See? Nobody wants to go against us."

Uh... whut? Is their angle that they pretend to be badass but really aren't? I don't think that'll work.
Old 09-24-2019, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

AoP was waiting for someone to stop them. As long as Vince lets Heyman run with it, we might get some good tag team stories and rivalries. Don't know if OC is back in burial mode, but if not, they need to get back some heat on The War Raiders. Yes, that brings back the horrid spectre of 50/50 booking, but both of those teams should be ascendant (along with AoP, and for the next couple of months, Roode & Ziggler).

And WWE, stop jobbing your tag team champions in singles matches! This has been going on for as long as I've watched wrestling, so I doubt it will ever really end.
Old 09-25-2019, 09:37 AM

Ascension and the Colons are still employed. Cant imagine AEW is exactly drooling over signing them up in the event they get let go.

The announcers have been teasing that tag teams could get broken up in The Draft. I remember they broke up the Dudleys many moons ago during a draft, and neither really went anywhere solo until they left WWE. Maybe Dozevich could go solo, but he needs Tucker as his straight man. Each War Raider had solo careers before they paired up in RoH, but they're much better together than apart. I can't see Roode and Zig breaking up just yet. For some reason, Zig makes his tag partners look better, like Drew McEntyre. Revival's still in "will they or won't they" territory as far as their contracts are concerned, so who knows with them. Usos will always be together even if they're on opposite sides of the country. I don't know if Rowan & Harper are officially a tag team again. It's more like Rowan is the star and Harper is his willing subordinate, and they're better together than apart. If the Good Brothers get broken up, their careers are dead. Same with AoP. Ryder and Hawkins, doesn't matter.

Street Profits are bound to be called up to make things official. UE needs to stay in NXT at all costs.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:46 PM
Charter Member

There are a lot of tag teams that work pretty much only as tag teams. The draft should be worked so that they "register" as teams, individual, or both. In the last case, drafting an individual could break up the team if the partner is not drafted, but it protects teams like the Usos, AoP, etc. But I'm just a fan who overthinks wrestling, something Vince rarely does anymore.
Old 09-25-2019, 11:12 PM

Quote:
AoP was waiting for someone to stop them. As long as Vince lets Heyman run with it, we might get some good tag team stories and rivalries. Don't know if OC is back in burial mode, but if not, they need to get back some heat on The War Raiders. Yes, that brings back the horrid spectre of 50/50 booking, but both of those teams should be ascendant (along with AoP, and for the next couple of months, Roode & Ziggler).

And WWE, stop jobbing your tag team champions in singles matches! This has been going on for as long as I've watched wrestling, so I doubt it will ever really end.
I remember when they did that on superstars of wrestling.....theyed have the hart foundation each fight someone separately and lose abd the whole commentary would be "did they run out of people and they're in a tag team they cant do anything by themselves"

Andits why everyone was confused when all of a sudden they started to build bret up here and there until he had his run........
Old 09-28-2019, 05:47 PM

I'm still a fan, but it's kind of boring and predictable, not to mention babyish. Some of the matches feel rushed, and have no real wrestling. I really think a 5 on 5 match should be exciting, but they normally have the first guy or two of a team get beat after one move, to speed things along. How lame...

The Royal Rumbles obviously have their comedic skits, and all, but they're not what they used to be either. The most strange publicity stunt was having a kid win the tag titles with Braun Strowman. Isn't that some sort of new record too? Meh.
Old 09-30-2019, 01:23 PM

I feel the same way about Triple Threats, Fatal Four Ways, Fucked-up Fivers, etc. I hate it when somebody gets knocked out of the ring, acts like it's a career-ending bump, and lingers outside for 5 minutes. At least pantomime that you got a booboo, make a crybaby face, then point to your head like you're using your brains and it's all part of your sinister plan to rest up while everybody else gets tired.
Old 09-30-2019, 01:25 PM

I remember when Shark Boy copied Steve Austin and he said, OH... SHELL... YEAH! :P
Old 10-01-2019, 05:21 AM
Charter Member

Vince is determined to break up Rusev and Lana one way or another, isn't he?
Old 10-01-2019, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

I guess Mike and Maria wasn't enough. Though for all we know, Rusev and Lana pitched it just to get back on TV, knowing Vince's weak spot. Or, it's a Heyman thing as everyone plans for the draft.

So is the Saudi 5 v 5 a Survivor Series type match? I certainly liked Flair's first pick and Hogan's second.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

As a reminder, tonight is the series premiere of AEW Dynamite on TNT!

Most of the (hopefully cuckold-angle free) card has already been announced;

* Chris Jericho & LAX vs. the Elite
* Riho vs. Nyla Rose for the AEW Women's Championship
* Cody Rhodes vs. Sammy Guevara
* Adam Page vs. PAC
* MJF vs. Brandon Cutler
* An appearance by Jon Moxley

I'm definitely looking forward to it more than any weekly show since Lucha Underground.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:45 PM

The cuckhold angles WWE's been fond of lately hopefully won't become a Chris Benoit/Kevin Sullivan/Woman situation. That didn't turn out too well.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:15 PM
Charter Member

Lately? Who can forget Miss Elizabeth? Miss Congeniality/Lita (I always much preferred her ECW name)? Though, unlike today, only the "smarks" would know the real behind-the-scenes relationships. Now, even when storylines are teasing a break-up, superstars are tweeting engagement photos (because they're dumb!).
Old 10-02-2019, 08:21 PM

Wooh, never thought I'd hear Tony Chiavoni on the air again.

This has me nostalgic for NWA Mid-Atlantic. I bet it smells like cigarettes, sweat, salty popcorn and spilled beer in there.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:35 PM

I'm not offended by MJF's insulting D&D players.

I play Pathfinder. :-P
Old 10-02-2019, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

This has me nostalgic for NWA Mid-Atlantic. I bet it smells like cigarettes, sweat, salty popcorn and spilled beer in there.
I wonder if old-timers like TC and JR are yelling inside what I'm yelling aloud...

Sell a damn move for more than 3 f'n seconds, dammit!
Old 10-02-2019, 10:10 PM

Yeah, the opening match turned into quite the spot-fest. I thought for sure that Cody's off-the-top-rope back suplex had won the match.

I enjoyed Dynamite, though, and I'll be watching.
Old 10-03-2019, 05:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

It definitely felt like watching Nitro back in the day.
Old 10-04-2019, 07:03 AM

AEW crushes NXT in Wednesday night’s TV ratings

Quote:
“Professional wrestling’s “Wednesday Night Wars” officially started on cable television last night, when the new weekly AEW wrestling show debuted to 1.4 million viewers, besting USA Network’s “NXT,” which put up 891,000 viewers (down 11% from last week’s show). Among the advertiser-coveted adults 18-49 demographic, “Dynamite” scored 878,000 viewers to “NXT’s” 414,000 (up 1% from its week-ago broadcast).”
Old 10-04-2019, 08:05 AM

Very good for AEW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out
Wooh, never thought I'd hear Tony Schiavone on the air again.

Interestingly the current NWA promotion headed by Billy Corgan just implemented a new set similar to the Mid-Atlantic studio setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekedolphin
Yeah, the opening match turned into quite the spot-fest. I thought for sure that Cody's off-the-top-rope back suplex had won the match.

I enjoyed Dynamite, though, and I'll be watching.
Gonna look for a clip of this.

Last edited by LibSuperstar; 10-04-2019 at 08:05 AM.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:50 AM

NXT is still fucking awesome, and I don't mind watching it on the network a couple days later. Plus, Finn is back where he belongs.

What I worry about however is that some USA execs will want Vince back because he got higher ratings. Viewers like me aren't seeing their ads.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibSuperstar View Post

Interestingly the current NWA promotion headed by Billy Corgan just implemented a new set similar to the Mid-Atlantic studio setup.

I wish them luck, but that's too much wrestling for me, despite my having no life otherwise.
Old 10-04-2019, 01:23 PM

I'm still alive, just not really in the situation to enjoy wrestling as much as before because of time/other annoying things.

That said, the latest batches of shows have been better than usual with the highs being extremely high...and the lows being extremely low. God I hate "romance" angles....

I think I'm going to be free tonight so I might check out smackdown just for the novelty of it. We'll see how much I watch in the future
Old 10-05-2019, 01:50 PM

A couple of friends dropped by last night. P used to watch wrestling when he was a kid, but T was not a fan. We passed around the pipe and watched Smackdown on Fox.

A few impressions:

Fox definitely used their own crew for graphics and TV production. They had a new entrance that resembles the backdrop used for when the Delorean traveled through time in Back to the Future. Erin Rogers interviewed New Day and seemed to get into the spirit of it.

For the Shane vs KO match, P thought they looked like slobs. He couldn't understand why KO waited prone in the corner for 5 minutes while Shane climbed the turnbuckle on the other side. I explained that he was the boss's son and he always gets to do that move in his matches. I also assured them this was the final match in a storyline everybody wanted to be over with. Shane isn't coming back, right?

They didn't seem to get Bray Wyatt's gimmick. I explained that he had changed his angle recently and went into discourse about his former swamp cult leader persona. P mentioned Blackjack Mulligan's name later and I told him Bray was Blackjack's grandson. They didn't see how he could breathe in his mask, but thought it looked cool, like an anime villain.

Brock vs Kofi was over in 2 seconds. I was pissed at how they tossed Kofi aside like trash after building up this match for so long, but P thought it made sense that the big fucker who took steroids won. He thought the smaller guys lost because didn't take enough steroids. I explained how the influence of Lucha Libre and Japanese wrestling made matches more exciting and fast-paced (and required smaller wrestlers), but he seemed to prefer the "big guy always wins" angle. When Cain Velasquez made his entrance, they seemed dumbfounded, especially since Cain has an hourglass figure and looks about half Brock's size. I said "It's a celebrity angle to draw ratings" and that was it. Some things aren't worth explaining.

I don't remember much else, aside from saying Charlotte looked like a hot erotic goddess.
Old 10-05-2019, 04:10 PM

impact is on axxs now ? I wonder what that means for their new japan deal.........

Heres a story I just saw although its a week old...https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/in...hts/ar-AAI7C1E

Although I wonder if there's going to be an overload of wrestling like there has been off and on in the past .....

Last edited by nightshadea; 10-05-2019 at 04:12 PM.
Old 10-05-2019, 06:37 PM
Charter Member

One thing I noticed was that WWE got the dregs of the national sponsors. That may change if they put up numbers. Then they can graduate maybe to Little Caesar's pizza. And Fox once again treated Terry Bradshaw as the Baron Corbin of football announcers. Or was Corbin treated like Bradshaw?
Old 10-05-2019, 07:19 PM

Quote:
For the Shane vs KO match, P thought they looked like slobs. He couldn't understand why KO waited prone in the corner for 5 minutes while Shane climbed the turnbuckle on the other side. I explained that he was the boss's son and he always gets to do that move in his matches. I also assured them this was the final match in a storyline everybody wanted to be over with. Shane isn't coming back, right?
They may keep him off for a while, then suddenly introduce "The Masked Mister S" who is about Shane's size and does a lot of Shane's moves - at least until the one match where he is unmasked and it's not Shane.

Quote:
When Cain Velasquez made his entrance, they seemed dumbfounded, especially since Cain has an hourglass figure and looks about half Brock's size. I said "It's a celebrity angle to draw ratings" and that was it. Some things aren't worth explaining.
Pretty sure Velasquez has a contract with WWE now, so we'll get months of Cain vs Brock "sightings" until their big match - and I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being the main event at the next WrestleMania.
Old 10-05-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Pretty sure Velasquez has a contract with WWE now, so we'll get months of Cain vs Brock "sightings" until their big match - and I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being the main event at the next WrestleMania.
Supposedly itís the main event of the Saudi show at the end of the month.

https://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/20...abia-halloween
Old 10-06-2019, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

Awesome opener, and props to both Banks & Lynch for laying it all on the line. That was inventive and brutal and great fun.
Old 10-07-2019, 04:38 AM
Charter Member

Well, the ending of the main event may have been, hands down, the single dumbest thing I've ever seen to a wrestling match.

This is how Vince expects to beat AEW?

Last edited by Smapti; 10-07-2019 at 04:40 AM.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

They should have let Sasha & Becky close. Might have cleaned the sour taste out of one's mouth. But closing with that? Right call would have been to listen to the crowd and restart the match. Fox is calling Stanford and telling them keep that shit on Monday nights.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
Well, the ending of the main event may have been, hands down, the single dumbest thing I've ever seen to a wrestling match.

This is how Vince expects to beat AEW?
It wasn't so much the ending for me. I did appreciate the kayfabe blood. It was the way Bray was booked to be invulnerable to Seth's curb stomps, when Seth used 3 of them to beat Brock Lesnar. I did hate the way they called an end to a no DQ match, when Mankind's HIAC match wasn't ended when they called in the stretcher for him. I was hoping Bray would use some tricks like have a double hiding under the ring, or maybe even have trainees wear Firefly puppet costumes and interfere somehow. I wasn't expecting Mankind vs UT, but at least don't have most of the match be no-sells.
Old 10-07-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Right call would have been to listen to the crowd and restart the match. Fox is calling Stanford and telling them keep that shit on Monday nights.
Pedantic: Stamford, not Stanford.

That being said, I think the problem with that would have been, they (and why do I have the feeling that means Vince) probably didn't want Seth to "beat the unbeatable" - at least, not just yet. However, given that the three choices seem to be (a) that, (b) have The Fiend beat the guy who beat Brock, or (c) some screwjob finish, they went with what they thought was the only way out.

Meanwhile, in some office in Stamford, I can see Vince reacting like this: "Did I hear 'AEW'? Cancel the next Sacramento house show/taping!"

But just when you thought you had WWE pegged (in the women's tag match, after the ten-second non-pin, I thought for sure that the champs would retain), they Swerve The Smarks - correction; Swerve Us Smarks - with Asuka breaking out the Muta Mist. That rated about an 8 on the Markout Scale, with 10 being the return of the NWA to TBS on 4/6/1985.
Old 10-08-2019, 02:43 PM

That finish at Hell in a Cell.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Pedantic: Stamford, not Stanford.
Having consulted in the area and driven by the building several times, I am aware of that, but I swipe-typed that on my phone and didn't proofread.

Mea culpa

ETA: Word is that HiaC match was 100% Vince. What will it take to convince him that he no longer has his fingers on the pulse of what the fans want? He's as delusional as his idol.

Last edited by D_Odds; 10-08-2019 at 08:04 PM.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Having consulted in the area and driven by the building several times, I am aware of that, but I swipe-typed that on my phone and didn't proofread.

Mea culpa

ETA: Word is that HiaC match was 100% Vince. What will it take to convince him that he no longer has his fingers on the pulse of what the fans want? He's as delusional as his idol.
WWE seems to know this was a fuckup, considering that they didn't mention it until nearly the end of Raw and only then in an 18-second recap. On the website they changed it from being a DQ win for Bray to a ref stoppage for Seth, and they announced a Survivor Series rematch on Twitter (and then deleted the tweet).

In better news, here's the card for tomorrow's episode of Dynamite:

* Dustin Rhodes & Hangman Page vs. Chris Jericho & Sammy Guevara
* Darby Allin vs. Jimmy Havoc, winner gets a world title match next week
* The Young Bucks vs. Private Party (Tag Team Championship quarter-finals)
* Jon Moxley vs. Shawn Spears
Old 10-08-2019, 10:22 PM

MOX. Excellent. Jericho; also excellent.

Anyone else a fan of MJP? He's such a heat magnet. He reminds me of The Miz.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekedolphin View Post
MOX. Excellent. Jericho; also excellent.

Anyone else a fan of MJP? He's such a heat magnet. He reminds me of The Miz.
I'm pretty sure you mean MJF, unless he and MVP have somehow merged into a single entity.

And yes, he's a natural heel.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:24 PM

Damn, I do that all the time. Because of MVP, in fact.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:59 PM

Anybody else find it weird that Lashley's feud with Rusev, which will lead to Team Flair's battle with Team Hogan in Saudi Arabia, is focused on the fact that Lashley is sleeping with Rusev's wife? For a match in Saudi Arabia?! They probably stone people to death for infidelity there, or something. And you know Lana won't even be making the trip to Crown Jewel.
Old 10-09-2019, 03:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekedolphin View Post
Anybody else find it weird that Lashley's feud with Rusev, which will lead to Team Flair's battle with Team Hogan in Saudi Arabia, is focused on the fact that Lashley is sleeping with Rusev's wife?
Leave it to Paul Heyman to decide that cuckold storylines are what the fans want to see in 2019.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
Leave it to Paul Heyman to decide that cuckold storylines are what the fans want to see in 2019.
Especially since Maria and Mike have been doing that angle since they were in Impact. Then they involved Rusev in it, changed their minds the next week, and are now trying to get him over as the beleaguered babyface. After all these decades, they still can't sustain a storyline. Rusev was already over, as upper midcard at least.