Old 04-20-2019, 08:34 PM
born to be shunned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
Happy MetalMouse Day!!!
You said it so well!!!!!!!

On other news, TPTB put out VET for tomorrow afternoon and I took it. Methinks, being as how we're peasants and below notice, they haven't noticed how few are Christian or even from this country/culture and are expecting a major call-off/no-show rate. I doubt it but 3 hours is 3 hours when I'm blowing off a couple days for Knoebels.

AND I MADE ................ ah, you know the rest.

Last edited by kopek; 04-20-2019 at 08:35 PM.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:42 PM

golden corral won't come back to my region ...... see years ago they were a bonanza/ponderosa/sizzler steak house type of place and when those fell of favor for a while ours closed ... in fact some nights we were the only customers they get

Now we have no buffet type of place other than a Chinese buffet cause they let hometown buffet die by moving the guy who truly cared about the place and having new managers every month .... less ya wanna go around the cluster fu-- that is our mall area between us and them .... and i called the "dont have us send us your zip code ect" place and he said "wait we've been there before ... and i explained and he well its doubtful it will ever come back because they don't like do-overs ......

got past egg dyeing and it went slower than usual because the dye wasn't all that great and we didn't have our usual horde of people ... and by the time i decided ot help it was too late i was told ....

Swampy we make a cheesecake type fo substance .. one of those jello mixes .... I have bought real cheesecake and no one cared for it so we stick to the mix.....

off to more stuff for tomorrow .....
Old 04-20-2019, 08:57 PM

Well, Dinner has been consumed at the Corral, the food was agreeable but they were out of glasses for water, out of knives (waitress got me one), and almost out of soup cups (got one of the last two). Either they have poor management or the dishwasher (machine) is the slowest in Western Christendom. But the brownies were good and my belly is full.

Having to make too many corrections to my typing, either I am holding the keyboard wrong (same as usual) or the Demon Murphy has gotten into it (or I am just a fumble-fingered typist, but I don't normally make as many mistakes as Cupcakes does when she drinks...

Or maybe I'm more tired than I think. We'll see if it improves tomorrow.

Last edited by The Stainless Steel Rat; 04-20-2019 at 08:58 PM.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:01 PM
Charter Member

Howdy Y'all and Happy Easter. Yes, it is now Easter. The Vigil is a nice service that moves into an Easter Eucharist. Soon it shall be beddy bye time.
Old 04-20-2019, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stainless Steel Rat View Post
Morning all. Got my eight hours of sleep so feeling...like a nap...

Not much planned for today, my credit card was billed automatically for Sirius/XM since I didn't do anything, but the cost is within budget so I'll keep it for another year.
I play the annual game with Sirius/XM where they automatically charge my credit card, I call and cancel, they then turn around and give me a discount to stay...as long as I agree to automatic renewal...but, you can cancel at any time, and the bottom line is, they want your business and are more than willing to give you a discount to stay...
Old 04-20-2019, 10:32 PM
Charter Member

Something I learned in 2nd grade Sunday School

I do not know why The Ten Commandents has become an Easter movie, but it is on now. The Red Sea just swallowed up all of the host of Pharoah.

When I was in 2nd grade we were learning about the Exodus. I was kind of skeptical, and asked the teacher, If we would go to the bottom of the sean now, would we find all those horses and chariots and soldiers?

The teacher, instead of saying I should not question the word of God, or something condescending, simply said No. He explained that after dying that bodies went away, that metal rusted and wood fell apart. It was not what I wanted to hear but it was a straight answer.

I learned something that day, and have applied it later. I try never to talk down to kids. I think that is important
Old 04-20-2019, 11:00 PM

Headache did go away finally. I thought about you today Baker when I heard of the tiger attack at the zoo, I think in your town.

MetalMouse I do not know from whence your name originates. Fill me in please.

My Easter shall consist of cookage of turkey, stuffing and green beans. I may make some deviled eggs. I never did get the laundry done today so that shall happen and the fridge needs cleaning and the bathroom floor needs mopping. That shall be enough for one day.

Here’s hoping those cramps don’t happen again tonight. Leg cramps are no fun at all. What causes those anyway? Mayhaps I was just relaxed and body said oh, hell no let’s wake her up. It’s almost midnight but I am not yet sleepy due to excess nappage today so may start another series. If you have Netflix and have not seen Rectify I recommend it highly. I am thinking I shall give Breaking Bad a looksee.

Night all and Happy Easter.
Old 04-21-2019, 02:04 AM

its a series sci-fi novels by Harry Harrison about a criminal in the 30th/40th century when there aren't supposed to be any ..so he's turned into an interplanetary secret agent

he gets the nickname "the stainless steel rat because hes invulnerable to almost anything
Old 04-21-2019, 04:19 AM

well I had forgotten a few things but here you go and I missed a few books but here's everything ya need to know https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stainless_Steel_Rat
Old 04-21-2019, 05:50 AM
Charter Member

Good Mornin' Y'all! Up and caffeinatin'. *YAWN* 'Tis 49 Amurrkin out and clear with a predicted high of 76 and N.O.S. for the day. A nice day for the little ones to go out and hunt down aigs. The plan of the day is deheathenization, which shall go on and on due to usual Easter stuff plus a Baptism, and the feast which shall happen around two p.m. I consider that to be enough for one day.

For everyone who celebrates...

HAPPY EASTER!!!!!!

Now I need more caffeine and to feed rumbly tummy. Purtification for deheathenization must also commence.

Happy Sunday Y'all!
Old 04-21-2019, 07:07 AM

Happy Sunday!

Happy Easter!

The sun is shining, although it is supposed to get cloudy later today. The high will be only 64.

I'll be heading down to the armpit around 11ish. That way everybody should be home from church before we get there.
Sah-son needs to mow the front postage stamp before we leave. He plans on going out around 9:30, which may be a bit early on a Sunday morning. He should have mowed it yesterday.
I don't plan on staying long, I hope to be back home by 5 or 6. Which probably means 7.

My son has lots of homework coming due, and I have stuff to do, so we can't be lollygagging about all day.

Last edited by Sahirrnee; 04-21-2019 at 07:07 AM.
Old 04-21-2019, 07:34 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Happy Easter to one and all! Have a chocolate bunny for breakfast! Go ahead, you know you want to!

We'll be heading out within the hour. Daughter and SIL took Cozmo, and they're on the way to pick up Roxy before heading to my mom's. Higgs is staying home - we don't worry about her peeing in the house the way we do with Coz.

I'm showered, but I won't dress till closer to depart time. I need to pack the food in the car, but other than that, we're ready to go. Not looking forward to the drive, tho. It seems farther and farther every time we go.

Now, go get that chocolate bunny!!
Old 04-21-2019, 08:53 AM

Happy Easter. Awake but that’s it so far. I have lots of stuff to do though so shall commence doing something. Thanks for the info shady I shall check it out.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:27 AM

Is chocolate aig acceptable for breakfast instead Mooom?

Got caught up in homework- this is the Major Project writeup, so it's a pretty big chunk of the year's points. It's due on Wednesday.

Also started the official application for the job I mentioned a while back, 'cos it went on the system today. Hard to type with fingers crossed, but reading the job description, it looks like it's been slightly worded around what I said (like- must have, or be working towards, the precise qualification I'm doing).

Anyway, it's still oddly sunny and nice (which never happens in Easter holidays), so I think I shall head off down the allotment shortly to plant some spuds, which is a traditional Easter task. I'll check on the bees tomorrow, I've left it a little late for today; they'll all be starting to head home from a hard day's buzzing around, and won't like being disturbed.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:29 AM
Charter Member

Mrs. L.A. decided she is going to empty her storage unit because her new business is off to a very slow start and she can't afford $65/month to store her stuff. She wanted to put it in the 'canopy garage' with my MGB. Fine, as long as I don't want to drive the car. So I've ordered a 7-foot by 12-foot canopy shed.

But where to put it? We have the area that was underneath the travel trailer that was built onto the house, and which we had demolished last Summer. It's uneven dirt, and wet (because we live in Rainland). So being the incredibly awesome husband that I am, I'm building a platform. I have four concrete piers with brackets on them, and a dozen concrete piers with slots. The plan is to put the piers with the brackets at the corners. Two slotted piers will go between each pair of bracketed piers so that there will be four piers on each side and on each end. The remaining slotted piers will go in the middle. I'll put a 12-foot 2x6 on each of the four rows, and a 7-foot 2x6 on each end. I'll use 2x4s for two rows of cross pieces. Then I'll lay down three sheets of plywood and paint it with some of that textured deck paint. Then I can screw the feet of the new canopy shed to the completed platform. When the tent eventually wears out, maybe I'll try my hand at framing a wooden structure.

Yesterday I put a bracketed pier in the lowest corner of the area, dug out an area for the bracketed pier at the other end, and dug out places for the middle two slotted piers. I put down the 2x6, made sure (several times) that the board was level, and nailed the ends at the brackets. Now the hard part comes. I need to dig out the other two corners and not only make sure they're level, but also square. I'll probably use a sheet of plywood to check for squareness. Once that's done, it's just a matter of digging eight more shallow holes and finishing the floor.

And it's only going to cost about the same as Mrs. L.A. is paying for ten months of storage. (Between my Prius failing, and now this, I'm never going to get out of debt!)
Old 04-21-2019, 11:04 AM

Morning all, I awoke at 6:30am, put on the eye-mask that I got on my last flight overseas and went back to sleep until 9am. Will pay the penance as lawn needs mowing and they pick up the clippings on Moanday. 65F and getting to the 70's today with plenty of N.O.S. weather.

Butters, shady answered your questions, the character is named James Bolivar 'Slippery Jim' DeGriz, which is why I recognized shady's response as a fellow reader. The first book is the best (IMHO), but a whole series was written, of varying quality.

LA John, I got tried reading that. Your wife is a lucky woman.

Nut, I'll cross some fingers for you too.

Everybody have a Happy Easter. Need to break fast soon.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stainless Steel Rat View Post
Bumba, hope the dryer can be repaired; but $500 sounds like a lot for a replacement.
It's not. The good ones can go upwards of a grand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missred View Post
bumba, if I'm fixing more bacon than for just me, I do it in the oven, but for just me, it's easier to do it on top of the stove, since I'm usually frying aigs to go with and put them in teh same skillet about halfway through the bacon fryage and in the yummy bacon grease.

Supper is et. I ordered house special soup and aig rolls and when I got home, found I had hot and sour soup and a pu pu platter for one. Oh, well, it was good. Now I need to prep the sweet potato black bean enchiladas for bakage tomorrow, prep a quick craft for the heathen children and fill a dozen aigs.
Didn't mean to imply that you didn't know how to cook bacon Red, but I thought you might not have heard about doing them in the oven. I've been cooking bacon for 50+ years and I just found out about it a year or so ago.

And I love pu pu platters, but the onliest place around here that serves 'em is a Chinese restaurant. Go figger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
golden corral won't come back to my region ...... see years ago they were a bonanza/ponderosa/sizzler steak house type of place and when those fell of favor for a while ours closed ... in fact some nights we were the only customers they get

Swampy we make a cheesecake type fo substance .. one of those jello mixes .... I have bought real cheesecake and no one cared for it so we stick to the mix.....
We used to have lots of buffets around here too, but not anymore. I liked 'em, but they tended to go downhill over time. I blame it on business school graduates.

Nobody likes real cheesecake? Bout the only thing New Yorkers are right about being better in New York is their cheesecake. I loves it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
So being the incredibly awesome husband that I am, I'm building a platform. I have four concrete piers with brackets on them, and a dozen concrete piers with slots. The plan is to put the piers with the brackets at the corners. Two slotted piers will go between each pair of bracketed piers so that there will be four piers on each side and on each end. The remaining slotted piers will go in the middle. I'll put a 12-foot 2x6 on each of the four rows, and a 7-foot 2x6 on each end. I'll use 2x4s for two rows of cross pieces. Then I'll lay down three sheets of plywood and paint it with some of that textured deck paint. Then I can screw the feet of the new canopy shed to the completed platform. When the tent eventually wears out, maybe I'll try my hand at framing a wooden structure.

Yesterday I put a bracketed pier in the lowest corner of the area, dug out an area for the bracketed pier at the other end, and dug out places for the middle two slotted piers. I put down the 2x6, made sure (several times) that the board was level, and nailed the ends at the brackets. Now the hard part comes. I need to dig out the other two corners and not only make sure they're level, but also square. I'll probably use a sheet of plywood to check for squareness. Once that's done, it's just a matter of digging eight more shallow holes and finishing the floor.

And it's only going to cost about the same as Mrs. L.A. is paying for ten months of storage. (Between my Prius failing, and now this, I'm never going to get out of debt!)
Don't want to tell you your business Johnny, but I'd use bigger lumber. Eventually it will get re-purposed to store larger, heavier things and won't take the weight. OF course, the building inspectors down south always did complain that I built "Hell fer stout."

Hope all you Christians have a loverly Easter. As I had to explain to one of my fundy nieces last time I saw her, I have no respect for organized religion, but I'm a big fan of that Jesus fellow's teachings. (She was confused.)
Old 04-21-2019, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

Howdy Y'all! A quick report in before the festivities continue. Church was large and in charge. Then, again, it's Easter so large and in charge is expected. The choir was magnificent and included a brass ensemble and a timpani drum. Way ! Ush duty was a ton o' fun as there were way more people than usual to herd up to the Altar for Communion. OK, back to readyin' foodstuffs for feastin'.
Old 04-21-2019, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbazine View Post
Don't want to tell you your business Johnny, but I'd use bigger lumber. Eventually it will get re-purposed to store larger, heavier things and won't take the weight. OF course, the building inspectors down south always did complain that I built "Hell fer stout."
My motto is 'If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing!'

But this is a canopy shed. It's not going to house larger, heavier things. The platform is meant to be relocatable. Four 2x6s, on edge, less than two feet apart, covered with " plywood should be more than stout enough.
Old 04-21-2019, 05:22 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Home at last! I swear, the tectonic plates between here and my mom's must be spreading out. The trip seems longer every time we make it!

It was a nice, if noisy, gathering, and I think the babies were overwhelmed. Neither of them got much into smashing cake. Tons of photos were taken - I have yet to see any. Soon, I hope.

My brother's SO made some amazing carrot cake cupcakes with cream cheese frosting, and I also had one black bottom (a tiny chocolate cupcake with a cheese topping) and just that much sugar went straight to my head. That and the only veggies on the menu was a cucumber salad. I just had a 'mater sammich - hope it settles my stomach.

Chillage shall ensue this evening. Chores await for the morrow. I'd tahred.
Old 04-21-2019, 05:36 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

My sis posted a bunch of pics and they're now all on my FB timeline for anyone who cares.
Old 04-21-2019, 05:41 PM

it's funny swampy the difference between easter morning and Easter evening service at grandpas (grandpa was an associate pastor) church one year :

Easter morning 105 were counted

Easter evening 10 me my grandparents 4 cousins a great aunt from out of town and minister and wife .....

But our day was over by 3 ... since it was just me my aunt her youngest (who live here ) and my nephew from college we didn't make much and Xmas 2 was Xmas 1 and 1/2 ......

now for the cleaning and un-decorating ........

Last edited by nightshadea; 04-21-2019 at 05:43 PM.
Old 04-21-2019, 06:27 PM

Happy Easter! to those who celebrate.

bumba, no offense taken. I make a brave attempt to not make more bacon than I should eat at once, so frying up a pound at a time isn't a good option for me most of the time.

Had a good time at the park today. The kids attending really cleaned up during the aig hunt. Everyone liked the enchiladas, Nelson got to play with toddlers (he's actually not too bad with them), we swung around the dog park and came home. A short nap and some reading on the patio, interspersed with a visit with my neighbor at the other end of the building made the afternoon a pleasant one.

It all starts again tomorrow.
Old 04-21-2019, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

Evenin' Y'all! Much festivity was had. We ate, we drank, we laughed. Then, as good company always should, everyone left. Dishwasher has done its chore, the kitchen is all cleanded, and I have hauled the biiiiiiiiiiiiiig trash can all the way down to the road for pickup tomorrow.

Shades I never understood night church on Sunday. I mean, what the heck did everybody do Sunday afternoon that would make them have to go back to church on Sunday night? I say follow a moderate Sunday afternoon of N.O.L., nappage, and teevee/movie/sports/Netflix watchin' and you will not do anything grievous enough to warrant a trip back to church that evenin'.
Old 04-21-2019, 07:45 PM

I cooked the best turkey ever in the instant pot knock off. Seriously perfect. I shall never do one any other way. The only problem is it must be 8lbs or less or it won’t fit. I had to force it into the pot and force the lid down. I used some Pepperidge Farm stuffing which I doctored up with more onion and celery than called for and put in some sage and poultry seasoning. It was not my homemade dressing but it was passable. I did it on the stove top. I made the ugliest deviled eggs ever as they would not peel properly but they ate just fine. I remembered I had purchased a new deviled egg platter so gave that to hubby as an Easter gift. He told me he almost bought me some flowers. It’s the thought that counts

I need one more day off. Why oh why did I not just bring the budget stuff home and I could have had an extra day to work on that in my jammies. Oh well; I have a hair appointment on Tuesday and a Dr. appointment for my first set of knee shots on Wed. I shall try to get a service appointment on my car if I can remember to call them. Someone please remind me to call the car shop.

I saw the pics mooommm Grayson is a chunker and was he still crawling? I saw him standing. Roxy is too cute and there is no hesitation at all with her walking now. Girl is on the move.

What tricks do y’all use to get your eggs to peel easily? These were brown eggs if that makes a difference. I have heard that older eggs peel easier but mine must have been fresh.

Hope everyone has a great New Week coming up.

Good Luck on the job Nut. Hope your trip was good Sari.

I hate,hate,hate frying bacon but love it eat it so it’s oven cooking for me or I just do without.

Last edited by Buttercup Smith; 04-21-2019 at 07:50 PM.
Old 04-21-2019, 07:46 PM

well the theory was that maybe those that worked (the 4 big factories in town ran 24/7) or skipped mornin service for sports might drop by and sometimes you'd get an ok sized crowd of about 15 to 20 it was waay less formal than the morning

Now mid weekservice to me always was a waste .....but that sometimes was just bible study and debate ....
Old 04-21-2019, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

Worked, came home. Making poke chops and baked N.O.T.s with asparagus with garlic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampbear View Post
Evenin' Y'all! Much festivity was had. We ate, we drank, we laughed. Then, as good company always should, everyone left. Dishwasher has done its chore, the kitchen is all cleanded, and I have hauled the biiiiiiiiiiiiiig trash can all the way down to the road for pickup tomorrow.
Shades I never understood night church on Sunday. I mean, what the heck did everybody do Sunday afternoon that would make them have to go back to church on Sunday night? I say follow a moderate Sunday afternoon of N.O.L., nappage, and teevee/movie/sports/Netflix watchin' and you will not do anything grievous enough to warrant a trip back to church that evenin'.
I think it's for catching the slackers, and the people who chose an extra morning of fun over worship.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:13 PM
born to be shunned

He is risen -- He is risen indeed!

unless you are one of the followers who prefer the Flying Spaghetti Monster in which case

He has meatballs -- He has meatballs indeed!

Why I said that I'll never know. The good news is that I got good hours at work; the bad news is that I was right and they basically spent the day trying to drive folks away for VTO (voluntary time off - hence no minimum pay) and I tapped out at 8pm. But that is all that much more for Knoebels!!!!!!
Old 04-21-2019, 08:17 PM

swampy, maybe back in the olden days, church was the only entertainment in town. Go on Sunday morning, go home to milk the cows and come back.

butters, I always try to make sure my boiled aigs are completely chilled before trying to peel them. If I'm going to devil them, I'll boil them the evening before, drain them and put them in the fridge overnight. My mom used to do that, but she didn't always tell anyone that one carton of the many contained boiled aigs and you'd hear someone swearing while trying to fix themselves an aig for breakfast and finding it hard boiled.

Do I really ahve to do a Monday tomorrow?
Old 04-21-2019, 08:25 PM

Evening al. Waited until 6pm to mow the yard, got it done pretty quickly (2 bags of clippings) and let Mickey D provide dinner. Weather is due to be nice through Wednesday and 80F is possible.

Butters, that turkey sounds delicious.

All y'all take care, see you on the next MMP.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:36 PM

MCD's for Easter? to me that would be the height of depressing .....i mean if you were eating late because they had the dinner at a relative's early and was hungry on the way home wouldnt be too bad ...
Old 04-22-2019, 04:51 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopek View Post
He is risen -- He is risen indeed!

unless you are one of the followers who prefer the Flying Spaghetti Monster in which case

He has meatballs -- He has meatballs indeed!

Why I said that I'll never know. The good news is that I got good hours at work; the bad news is that I was right and they basically spent the day trying to drive folks away for VTO (voluntary time off - hence no minimum pay) and I tapped out at 8pm. But that is all that much more for Knoebels!!!!!!
Man, you are headed for the handcart. You're running to get in.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by missred View Post
swampy, maybe back in the olden days, church was the only entertainment in town. Go on Sunday morning, go home to milk the cows and come back.

IANADF1 but I believe you milked the cows before you went to church.

1) I Am Not A Dairy Farmer.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:43 PM
Charter Member

I edited a Wikipedia article about a fictional character of Manley Wade Wellman, Judge Pursuivant. He was mentioned in a Seabury Quinn short story. I am famous!
Do not worry, I will remember the Little People.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
Do not worry, I will remember the Little People.
The members of the Lollipop Guild thank you for remembering them but wish to remind you to post in the current MMP.