Old 07-18-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire View Post
He just did it again today with this tweet:

@realDonalTrump
"So many people at the higher ends of intelligence loved my press conference performance in Helsinki. Putin and I discussed many important subjects at our earlier meeting."

Who are these unnamed "people"? I'll give you a clue. There are no higher intelligence "people" who loved his performance. Just another off the cuff remark he'll never get presssed on. The only person that "loved" his performance was Putin.
And Mike Pence.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:58 PM

All Pence has to do is staple his lips together and watch his stock rise.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:27 PM
Charter Member

To be frank, the only reason one would support Donald Trump at this point is if they are a morally flawed... at best... person. I can see no other reason which makes sense.

Last edited by JohnT; 07-18-2018 at 09:27 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
To be frank, the only reason one would support Donald Trump at this point is if they are a morally flawed... at best... person. I can see no other reason which makes sense.

You're claiming God and morality incontrovertibly on your side.
Whilst Trump's base and the Bible Belt know down to the marrow they're irrefutably on theirs.

You are the tail of the same coin which came down heads in 2016.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:49 PM
Charter Member

Naw, I said nothing about my side. But if you're on his side, you are irrefutably morally broken, like that one guy here who is glad to imprison children, sell out the country, support the slaughter of children in their schools with assault rifles, and ignore pedophiles because of his $75/paycheck tax cuts and $700 "I don't have to support Obamacare" savings.

IOW, when you sell your soul for a measly $2,650, I'm going to call you out on it. Don't like it? Don't support Trump.

Last edited by JohnT; 07-18-2018 at 10:49 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire View Post
He just did it again today with this tweet:

@realDonalTrump
"So many people at the higher ends of intelligence loved my press conference performance in Helsinki. Putin and I discussed many important subjects at our earlier meeting."

Who are these unnamed "people"? I'll give you a clue. There are no higher intelligence "people" who loved his performance. Just another off the cuff remark he'll never get presssed on. The only person that "loved" his performance was Putin.
I daresay the Russians at the "higher ends of intelligence" enjoyed it.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Naw, I said nothing about my side.
But you did.
You are assuredly claiming to be on the side of the angels and that the other mob are reprehensible, even prehensile.
The other mob are equally and reciprocally judgemental of your goodself.

As for the cash value placed on morality, I don't get the USD2,650 irrespective of whether I support Trump or not.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penultima thule View Post
But you did.
You are assuredly claiming to be on the side of the angels and that the other mob are reprehensible, even prehensile.
The other mob are equally and reciprocally judgemental of your goodself.
That does not logically follow unless one is asserting a dualistic worldview. That one side is demonstrably horrible does not imply that everyone else is a saint: remember that Hitler was opposed by Roosevelt and Churchill but also by Stalin.

[On the mod note- FWIW I accept the admonition but for the record I was just riffing on China Guy's post just above mine.]
Old 07-19-2018, 07:18 AM

I would have concurred for most of my life and circumstances but the breadth, width and depth of partisanship in the US now is such that the punters seem to have DEM or GOP branded on their foreheads and revel in that indelible identification. It is becoming a sectarian divide. "My side come hell or high water and all their faults and flaws forgivable". The other side is barely human.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:39 AM

Quote:
I would have concurred for most of my life and circumstances but the breadth, width and depth of partisanship in the US now is such that the punters seem to have DEM or GOP branded on their foreheads and revel in that indelible identification. It is becoming a sectarian divide. "My side come hell or high water and all their faults and flaws forgivable". The other side is barely human.
Don't look at me - I'm registered Independent.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:58 AM

I'm a registered non-merkin ... looking on is all I can do.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:19 PM

I would think extreme frustration and anger with Washington has caused many to vote for someone they thought was an outsider and now it is just blind hope that he can still pull through and become their political messiah somehow. That’s easier than admitting they elected a semiliterate and ignorant buffoon as the leader of the USA, as painfully obvious as it is by now. That “drain the swamp” thing was just too tempting, like it could actually happen. But the swamp is as solid as the Rock of Gibralter and has a firm grip on its members. And there is no drain. Like he said himself, sell people a fantasy and then close the deal.
Old 07-29-2018, 05:57 AM

I have a question for Trump supporters.

I'm thinking particularly about the most blatant lies. For example, Mike Cohen was, until recently, described by Trump and his top lieutenants as "honest" and "honorable"; and the White House sometimes referred questions to him. He was even described as honest by Trump's latest consigliere. Yet now we hear
Quote:
Originally Posted by latest Consigliere of the Trump Crime Family

[Cohen is a] pathological liar [who shouldn't be trusted]. He's been lying for years. There's nobody that I know that knows him that hasn't warned me that if his back is up against a wall, he'll lie like crazy, because he's lied all his life.
In my world-view, a top aide to a President of the United States does not suddenly change from being "honest and honorable" to "lied all his life." A Mafiosi turning rat might, however, be described this way by his crime boss.

How do Trump supporters feel about this? Are they proud, feeling that top crime bosses often have higher IQ's and more diligent work habits than many Democratic politicians? Or do they accept a few foibles to get away from Islamic terrorists like Obama who played golf and disgraced the country by putting his feet on the Oval Office desk?

My curiosity is genuine. I hope some of our Trump supporters will tell us how they feel.

(Many Trump supporters would have trouble distinguishing North Korea from South Korea, and may think corporate income taxes are the same as the gasoline taxes they pay when they fill their car. But one thing most Americans understand is the Mafia persona. Donald Trump acts like a crime boss. Perhaps not one of the smarter bosses like Junior Soprano; maybe Ralph Cifaretto or Richie Aprile. Surely even the Trumpists who didn't graduate high school have watched the Sopranos or crime movies and, at least by now, know what kind of man they voted for. Is this how to MAGA?)
Old 07-29-2018, 06:16 AM
Charter Member

"Trumptaglia's a pimp. He never could've out-fought Mueller. But I didn't know until this day that it was Putin all along."
Old 07-29-2018, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm a registered non-merkin ... looking on is all I can do.
Don't forget the despair part.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
In my world-view, a top aide to a President of the United States does not suddenly change from being "honest and honorable" to "lied all his life." A Mafiosi turning rat might, however, be described this way by his crime boss.

How do Trump supporters feel about this? Are they proud, feeling that top crime bosses often have higher IQ's and more diligent work habits than many Democratic politicians? Or do they accept a few foibles to get away from Islamic terrorists like Obama who played golf and disgraced the country by putting his feet on the Oval Office desk?

My curiosity is genuine.

For those I talk with, this doesn’t even register: they ask (a) if things would’ve been worse with Hillary Clinton — and, if so, then they insist they made the right choice in 2016, figuring ‘this latest bit, plus the rest, is less bad than the alternative’; and they plan to vote the same way again (b) if the Republican candidate will again be less bad than whoever the Dems put up in 2020. As you put it, yes, they see it as a question of Accepting His Foibles versus Having Someone Worse.

In that context, this blip on the radar just goes into that evaluation: the other side is awful; is this, plus the rest, less bad than the other side? If so, then meh.
Old 07-29-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post
(b) if the Republican candidate will again be less bad than whoever the Dems put up in 2020.
I would be willing to accept this argument, if it were not for their definition of what constitutes 'bad.' These people suffer from an inverted morality that I find incomprehensible.
Old 07-29-2018, 02:12 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
"My side come hell or high water and all their faults and flaws forgivable".
Tell that to Al Franken.
Old 03-01-2019, 11:38 AM

I'm bumping this thread because I still want to understand the answer to this question. We do have Trump supporters here. Are none willing to explain why they still support him?

The specific news that caused me to bump is the recent clearcut evidence that Trump has committed felony bank fraud. If Deutschebank responds faithfully to a subpoena the evidence would easily be enough to convict (were the criminal not sitting as Potus). What do Trumpists think of this? Are they
* proud that their guy is smart enough to commit criminal fraud and, so far, get away with it?
* sure this is just more fake news from NBC or the fake witch-hunt?
* unaware of the evidence, because Sean Hannity hasn't mentioned it?
Old 03-01-2019, 04:47 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, at the moment there are more smoking guns than at a pistol range.
And remember, Cohen is a liar, but what he was lying about was Trump not being a criminal. If Trumpists think Cohen lied, then they think Trump is guilty.
Old 03-01-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
I'm bumping this thread because I still want to understand the answer to this question. We do have Trump supporters here. Are none willing to explain why they still support him?

The specific news that caused me to bump is the recent clearcut evidence that Trump has committed felony bank fraud. If Deutschebank responds faithfully to a subpoena the evidence would easily be enough to convict (were the criminal not sitting as Potus). What do Trumpists think of this? Are they
* proud that their guy is smart enough to commit criminal fraud and, so far, get away with it?
They are fine with it, and they will accuse us of being the real criminals for mentioning it.
Old 03-01-2019, 05:34 PM

Quote:

Nothing is a problem, as long as Trump is pissing off the Liberals.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
Nothing is a problem, as long as Trump is pissing off the Liberals.
Yep. Trump does the exact same things Obama did, things that outraged the right, and they are now happy as a clam about it. Remember when the right was outraged that Obama would even consider talking to NK? Remember when Obama signed 276 executive orders in 8 years (35/yr ave) and they were outraged? What happens when Trump signs 96 in barely over 2 years?

BTW, Obama, on a yearly average, signed less executive orders than at least the five previous Presidents.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguy123 View Post
Yep. Trump does the exact same things Obama did, things that outraged the right, and they are now happy as a clam about it. Remember when the right was outraged that Obama would even consider talking to NK? Remember when Obama signed 276 executive orders in 8 years (35/yr ave) and they were outraged? What happens when Trump signs 96 in barely over 2 years?

BTW, Obama, on a yearly average, signed less executive orders than at least the five previous Presidents.
<dog whistle>

Well ya, but when Obama did it, he was all uppity about it.

</dog whistle>