The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > About This Message Board

Old 11-13-2012, 09:41 AM

Sticky needed for creation of I HATE X threads

Could the mods please consider a sticky in all forums that basically states if you start any thread that is based on disliking something, that you must include a counter example of something you do like, to give context.

I HATE THE BEATLES - so what?

I HATE THE BEATLES but LOVE THE WHO - okay, can see where you are coming from
I HATE THE BEATLES but LOVE JUSTIN BIEBER - going to be an interesting trainwreck

After years of these threads I realize that they invariably waste my time because people don't know how or are unwilling to back up their tastes.

Please make them.

Last edited by BwanaBob; 11-13-2012 at 09:42 AM..
Advertisements  
Old 11-13-2012, 10:05 AM

If you know they're a waste of time, you could probably do something drastic... like ignoring them.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwanaBob View Post

After years of these threads I realize that they invariably waste my time because people don't know how or are unwilling to back up their tastes.

Please make them.
Put me down for "don't know how" and "unwilling."
Old 11-13-2012, 11:00 AM

I love X !

Not really...
Old 11-13-2012, 11:24 AM

I do not endorse this OP.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Could the mods please consider a sticky in all forums that basically states if you start any thread that is based on disliking something, that you must include a counter example of something you do like, to give context.

I HATE THE BEATLES - so what?

I HATE THE BEATLES but LOVE THE WHO - okay, can see where you are coming from
I HATE THE BEATLES but LOVE JUSTIN BIEBER - going to be an interesting trainwreck

Please make them.
I HATE THE IDEA OF "NO I HATE X" THREADS.

But I don't really feel like debating it.

I suppose there's a point to the proposal: in the wider world of Internet discourse, just dropping an unsupportable and undebatable hatebomb is trolling. Low-quality trolling, really, of the "Obvious troll" flavor.

And that's the weakness of the proposal. It assumes that there are posters who post useless stuff like this out of innocent intent. I think that's naive; my experience is that such posts are inevitably and bluntly trolling, and a sticky asking trolls not to troll is close to the dictionary definition of "futile".
Old 11-13-2012, 12:19 PM

If that's trolling then the board is full of them. Maybe I should start reporting those threads, since they're clearly violating the "don't be a jerk" rule.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
If that's trolling then the board is full of them. Maybe I should start reporting those threads, since they're clearly violating the "don't be a jerk" rule.
Mods: please put a sticky on The Internet that says "Try not to take The Internet too seriously"
Old 11-13-2012, 01:18 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
While not particularly useful, I don't think most of them constitute trolling.

If you see one that you think actually represents trolling, report it and let us deal with it.

If you just feel they "invariably waste your time" the best approach is just to not open them.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:40 PM

I hate stupid rules.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
I hate stupid rules.
Same here. And I'll go out on a limb here, go as far suggesting this suggestion isn't very smart.

"Hey, I have an idea! Let's take all the topics I don't prefer and put them in their own forum! We could call the new forum.. ~tries to think of a clever name for the new forum~..topics I don't prefer"!
Old 11-13-2012, 02:45 PM

I'm truly surprised at the reactions here. If you have a conversation with a friend and he expresses an opinion without backing it up, do you just nod, or do you press him for reasons? I'll bet you ask for reasons.

The suggestion to not open threads that seem to be expressing a dislike for something is not very useful. I would have no idea if the thread contains arguments or just complaints. How would anyone? One would have to open it to see.

My complaint is that too many do not supply arguments.
To not see this or to be dismissive of it makes no sense to me.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:54 PM

From a conversation standpoint, I agree people should provide context and explanation. I mean, just posting "I hate X" isn't a conversation. If someone asks, "But why do you hate Justin Beiber", then you should explain. If someone asks for context, it's only reasonable to provide it.

My objection is to the demand that the moderators make a new rule and enforce what is really best handled as the dynamics of conversation. If someone doesn't clarify when asked, then stop reading their stupid threads. Or call them out in the Pit. Or whatever.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
From a conversation standpoint, I agree people should provide context and explanation. I mean, just posting "I hate X" isn't a conversation. If someone asks, "But why do you hate Justin Beiber", then you should explain. If someone asks for context, it's only reasonable to provide it.

My objection is to the demand that the moderators make a new rule and enforce what is really best handled as the dynamics of conversation. If someone doesn't clarify when asked, then stop reading their stupid threads. Or call them out in the Pit. Or whatever.
I do stop reading the offending thread, only to have another one just like it turn up. It's endless.

Last edited by BwanaBob; 11-13-2012 at 03:06 PM..
Old 11-13-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
I'm truly surprised at the reactions here. If you have a conversation with a friend and he expresses an opinion without backing it up, do you just nod, or do you press him for reasons? I'll bet you ask for reasons.
This is where we differ. I consider very few people here friends, and fewer than that probably think of me as one. So I could care less if some stranger wants to make an ass out of himself on the Internet.

This community tends to police itself. Good threads rise to the top, shitty ones disappear. Everything (mostly) works fine the way it is.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Seriously, I just nod. I really don't want a conversation about my friend's opinion.

Friend: I like Chevy better than Ford.

Me: That's cool.

Friend. That woman is hot.

Me: That's cool

Friend: The Beatles are overrated and Yoko did the world a favor by breaking them up.

Me: I hear you.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaftPeople View Post
Mods: please put a sticky on The Internet that says "Try not to take The Internet too seriously"
This made me smile.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
Seriously, I just nod. I really don't want a conversation about my friend's opinion.

Friend: I like Chevy better than Ford.

Me: That's cool.

Friend. That woman is hot.

Me: That's cool

Friend: The Beatles are overrated and Yoko did the world a favor by breaking them up.

Me: I hear you.
You could replace "Me:" with "drewtwo99:" and that's pretty much exactly what I do. People who get into arguments with their friends about why X is better than Y or why X is just the best thing ever, are ridiculous. It's like they are stuck in a middleschool pissing match or something.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewtwo99 View Post
You could replace "Me:" with "drewtwo99:" and that's pretty much exactly what I do. People who get into arguments with their friends about why X is better than Y or why X is just the best thing ever, are ridiculous. It's like they are stuck in a middleschool pissing match or something.
I hear you, man.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewtwo99 View Post
I don't have arguments with friends, we have debates. YMMV.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:
I'm truly surprised at the reactions here. If you have a conversation with a friend and he expresses an opinion without backing it up, do you just nod, or do you press him for reasons?
I go find the nearest police officer and report him for not backing up what he says, and ask the police officer to beat him soundly with his truncheon.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
I find that, over the course of time, my friends have tended to be reliably well-informed on the subjects they'd talk about, so I could take their opinions at face value. That's one of the qualifiers for being one of my friends: if you are consistently making shit up, talking with you is way too much effort.

That said, I don't have many friends.

Possibly a connection there...
Old 11-14-2012, 05:02 AM
BANNED

I hate stickies, but I love threads that drift down the front page, and eventually die a well-deserved death by obscurity.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWhatsit View Post
I do not endorse this OP.
I hate it.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I hate stupid rules.
OK, but what do you like?

It's important, somehow.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:39 AM
Charter Member

I hated Jason X but loved the X Files.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:03 AM

This rule would disallow all "I hate everything" threads. I hate that idea.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:01 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
This rule would disallow all "I hate everything" threads. I hate that idea.
But the OP seems to be obsessed with the idea that you need to follow up with what you love. You're in RI. Do you love Pawtucket, where they "park the cars side by each"?
Old 11-14-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshire Human View Post
But the OP seems to be obsessed with the idea that you need to follow up with what you love. You're in RI. Do you love Pawtucket, where they "park the cars side by each"?
Yes I am, because I personally need that contrast to decide if you are onto something or are a mental case.

Go back to my original OP.

I made it because I would find countless threads where someone would say "I hate X". Sometimes they'd give reasons why. But to me this is just an adrift opinion. The contrast is necessary to put the opinion in context.

This is especially irksome if some expresses dislike for something that I do like. I want to understand differing opinions. We're not all the same, I get that. Giving me the "but I like Y" portion let's me know if I can learn anything from you.

You: I hate the Beatles !
Me: that's nice, so what.....?

You: I hate the Beatles, I hate the Bee Gees, but I love Black Sabbath & Zeppelin!
Me: Interesting, you appear to dislike "pop" music but like heavy things, okay..

or

You: I hate the Beatles but I love Sonic Youth!
Me: You're dead to me, you've revealed yourself as a fan of extreme dissonance.

Examples 2 & 3 are worthwhile to me, Example 1 is useless. I can't tell what type of thread I'm going to get unless I open it. Unfortunately I find an overwhelming number of Number 1 type threads compared to types 2 & 3. So I was appealing to the mods to consider forcing OPs to comply with types 2 & 3.

Now get off my lawn, you loud kids.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:
It's Woonsocket where the cars are parked side by each. And I have numerous reasons for hating Pawtucket.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:22 AM
BANNED

Quote:
It's Woonsocket where the cars are parked side by each. And I have numerous reasons for hating Pawtucket.
Oops. You're right. I mis-remembered. It was a pet peeve of an ex-girlfriend from back in the mid 80s. She was from Central Falls. Also, I wasn't too fond of Pawtucket when I was last there (again, back in the mid 80s), so I'm with you on that hate....
Old 11-14-2012, 11:28 AM

I too hate the Beatles.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
I made it because I would find countless threads where someone would say "I hate X".
I've got to say, I've been here since, what, 2002? And I really can't remember seeing a single instance of this. Obviously, if it doesn't bother me, I'm less likely to notice it than you would be, but it might be worth considering that your perspective is not universal, and thus a Rule would be less than universally popular.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:00 PM

Maybe I spend more time in IMHO and Cafe Society than you do.

Last edited by BwanaBob; 11-14-2012 at 12:00 PM..
Old 11-14-2012, 12:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Yes I am, because I personally need that contrast to decide if you are onto something or are a mental case.

Go back to my original OP.

Now get off my lawn, you loud kids.
Ok, I hate Metallica, and White Zombie is the epitome of suck, but Sick Puppies are great. I'm 49 years old. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, I'm a mental case...Certifiable, even.... Now "Get off my lawn..." <racks shotgun, and it's loaded with double-ought buck, no rock-salt here!>
Old 11-14-2012, 12:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Oops. You're right. I mis-remembered. It was a pet peeve of an ex-girlfriend from back in the mid 80s. She was from Central Falls. Also, I wasn't too fond of Pawtucket when I was last there (again, back in the mid 80s), so I'm with you on that hate....
Too late to edit. I regularly refer to your State as "the land of Mordor", and she's kinda like Sauron in my mind.... But the ring was easy to dispose of. My brother's wife has it, now. And she likes it... But it doesn't make her invisible....
Old 11-14-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Too late to edit. I regularly refer to your State as "the land of Mordor", and she's kinda like Sauron in my mind.... But the ring was easy to dispose of. My brother's wife has it, now. And she likes it... But it doesn't make her invisible....
Well you can just walk in to Rhode Island. Odd thing for an island.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Well you can just walk in to Rhode Island. Odd thing for an island.
Hey. Newport was nice... And it is an island, if I remember correctly...

Last edited by Cheshire Human; 11-14-2012 at 12:29 PM..
Old 11-14-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangetout View Post
OK, but what do you like?

Quote:
Sounds like a personal problem.

Quote:
I made it because I would find countless threads where someone would say "I hate X". Sometimes they'd give reasons why. But to me this is just an adrift opinion. The contrast is necessary to put the opinion in context.
And, like I said, that's what conversation is for. Maybe they just want to spout off. Maybe they don't care if you agree or disagree. Or maybe the suckitude is so obvious they don't feel they need to contrast with perfection for you to realize why the Beatles suck so hard.

Quote:
Unfortunately I find an overwhelming number of Number 1 type threads compared to types 2 & 3. So I was appealing to the mods to consider forcing OPs to comply with types 2 & 3.
MORE RULES! YEA!!

And while we're at it, let's make it a rule that anyone who uses the word "butthurt" to describe someone else has to get kicked in the crotch. Because I really hate that word.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Maybe I spend more time in IMHO and Cafe Society than you do.
Certainly possible. Even likely. But I think that rather supports my point rather than your own. For many people, like myself, such a rule would be pointless and unnecessary.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:23 PM
BANNED

Can we all agree that we hate the OP's proposed rule, and love things the way they are, now? Or would that violate the OP's 'no hate, without some counterbalancing love' rule, since the statement 'I hate the proposed rule', essentially encompasses the 'I love the way things are, now' position?

I'm getting confused, here. What was the OP's position?
Old 11-14-2012, 07:30 PM

My (the OP's) position is that I am tired of "opinion" threads that do not provide contrast which I feel provides context for the thread-creator's opinion. I feel without the contrast the opinions are meaningless and time wasting. But one cannot tell this is going to be the case without actually reading such threads. I find there are an excessive number of these threads. So, in a moment of weakness, I asked that it be made mandatory to provide such contrast in either the thread title or with in the original post.

Popular opinion seems against me.

I lick my minor wound and move on.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mace View Post
I hate it.
I'm going to have to ask you to back up your opinion, my good man.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
MORE RULES! YEA!!

And while we're at it, let's make it a rule that anyone who uses the word "butthurt" to describe someone else has to get kicked in the crotch. Because I really hate that word.
I can get behind this proposed rule, because, although I don't hate the word "butthurt", nad-shots are always good low comedy. I love low comedy.