The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 03-27-2012, 04:08 PM

Did Castle just jump the shark?

Well, as much as a bit of fluff can jump the shark anyway. last night's episode saw Castle jumping to conclusions about Beckett, deciding to walk away from any relationship with her - and not talking to her about it. Of course this will be the classic soap opera misunderstanding which could be clarified with one little convo - but no!
Seemed really, really stupid to me. even for a fluffy show. What did you guys think of last night's ep? (3/27) Was it the shark jumper?
Advertisements  
Old 03-27-2012, 04:14 PM

Castle has been hurt or rebuffed numerous times by Beckett. Just one example was when she was recovering from her shooting. Beckett kicks Castle around like an annoying puppy all the time.

Castle always comes back wagging his tail. The writing is getting pretty stale. imho The shark isn't that far away for this show.

Last edited by aceplace57; 03-27-2012 at 04:17 PM..
Old 03-27-2012, 04:24 PM
Hoc nomen meum verum non est.
Charter Member

I disagree. The episode wasn't the best they've ever had, but the show is quite for from and water tanks and ski equipment.

Haters gotta hate, I guess, and complainers gotta complain. Every episode of every show is just another step on the downward slide to garbage.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:25 PM

Sometimes Castle tries for 'DRAMA' rather than humorous detective story. When it does this, it moves away from it's strength. It has done this before and finds it's way back.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:28 PM

If the dynamic between the two of them has now permanently changed, then maybe. More likely, over the course of the next few episodes, he'll be cold to her, she'll finally get him to say something, and they'll move on. The previews from next week's episode included a conversation between Beckett and Lanie which suggest Beckett may be thinking about saying something to Castle about her feelings (then again, it wouldn't be the first time that a preview is cut in such a way as to tease about that sort of thing).

I suspect what the producers are more afraid of is what would happen to the show once the sexual tension is relieved -- what happens once the two of them confess their mutual love (i.e., the Moonlighting Effect)?
Old 03-27-2012, 04:52 PM
Charter Member

That will be the "Season 5" option. Once they have a good bank of shows for syndication, they can afford to let the principals get together. Then daughter can move in with grand-mother, do a spin-off show, and Castle can switch into Nick and Nora mode and run for another 5-6 years.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:14 PM

I find the whole "will they/won't they" cionvention stale, overdone and stupid. I'd rather have a show where they just go ahead and have sex and either it works or, even more likely, it doesn't and they move on as friends, realizing that's where their strength is.
OR, given modern sensibilities, they remain friends with benefits.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
I find the whole "will they/won't they" cionvention stale, overdone and stupid.
Yeah, I agree. It's so cliched and predictable by this point. I'd actually had hopes that Castle would avoid this (hey, does TV Tropes have a page on it?) convention, but no such luck. It is possible to keep the couple interesting once they get together, but why can't cop/FBI shows figure that out? Borrow from other types of drama, borrow from sitcoms, anything but several years of will they won't they BS.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:03 AM
Charter Member

They've insisted that fans who want to see Castle and Beckett get together are going to be satisfied at the end of the season. So I have to assume that means he will figure out his boneheaded error fairly quickly.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:17 PM

I kind of hope he doesn't find out his error too quickly. It would be a nice reversal to see her chasing Castle around for a bit.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

In Castle Universe, if someone with an Australian accent hands you a hastily photoshopped piece of paper saying "Scotland Yard", then he obviously works for the Metropolitan Police.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Devil's Grandmother View Post
I kind of hope he doesn't find out his error too quickly. It would be a nice reversal to see her chasing Castle around for a bit.
But presumably once she finally catches him and all looks good for love at last is when she'll learn he's been keeping a rather massive, and actually important, secret from her. That should be good for another season of sideways glances.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:21 AM

I'd rather see Becket with any of the other guys she's dated than with Castle. His whiny, self-cenetered narcissism is funny when the show is pure comedy, but annoying during these streaks of drama. Why don't they drop the attempts for drama and pathos, and get back to the comedy?
Old 04-05-2012, 10:08 AM

Did anyone see the preview for the next episode?

SPOILER:
Jayne!
Old 04-05-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapiotar View Post
I'd rather see Becket with any of the other guys she's dated than with Castle. His whiny, self-cenetered narcissism is funny when the show is pure comedy, but annoying during these streaks of drama. Why don't they drop the attempts for drama and pathos, and get back to the comedy?
I haven't seen any whiny self-centered narcissism for the entire season, and possibly even the last season. While the relationship is annoyingly static and it's arguable that the rest of the cast has in any way grown as characters, Castle has undeniably grown up and dropped the narcissistic attitude. He spends all his time now watching over and caring for everyone else, not just Beckett.

Last edited by Bosstone; 04-05-2012 at 10:40 AM..
Old 04-05-2012, 10:42 AM

sister vigilante - I don't understand who you are referring to in spoiler box. can you explain?
Old 04-05-2012, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by well he's back View Post
sister vigilante - I don't understand who you are referring to in spoiler box. can you explain?
I didn't see the preview, but I assume that it showed...

SPOILER:
Adam Baldwin guest-starring - he appeared along with Nathan Fillion on 'Firefly' and 'Serenity' playing Jayne Cobb. Adam also just finished playing John Casey on 'Chuck.'
Join today!
Old 04-05-2012, 11:03 AM
Go Tribe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by obfusciatrist View Post
But presumably once she finally catches him and all looks good for love at last is when she'll learn he's been keeping a rather massive, and actually important, secret from her. That should be good for another season of sideways glances.
Is this the secret that
SPOILER:
He heard her say that she remembers everything from the shooting, including hearing him tell her he loves her?

Or is there some other secret I'm not aware of? I haven't been a regular viewer before this season and have missed a few episodes.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigmagirl View Post
Is this the secret that
SPOILER:
He heard her say that she remembers everything from the shooting, including hearing him tell her he loves her?
An answer for you (spoilered in case you don't want to read it):

SPOILER:
Yes to the first part of the statement. He assumed that the second part of the statement is true. She said it while interrogating a suspect (while Castle was watching behind the one-way mirror), so it's not entirely clear if she actually does remember everything, or was just saying it to get the suspect's attention.

Last edited by kenobi 65; 04-05-2012 at 11:07 AM..
Old 04-05-2012, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by obfusciatrist View Post
They've still got the mystery of the murder of Beckett's mother. And they've barely touched the mystery of Castle's father.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
They've still got the mystery of the murder of Beckett's mother. And they've barely touched the mystery of Castle's father.

Nah.....they wouldn't dare.

Would they?
Old 04-05-2012, 11:48 AM
Go Tribe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
SPOILER:
Yes to the first part of the statement. He assumed that the second part of the statement is true. She said it while interrogating a suspect (while Castle was watching behind the one-way mirror), so it's not entirely clear if she actually does remember everything, or was just saying it to get the suspect's attention.
Didn't she tell the psychiatrist she did?
Old 04-05-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Nah.....they wouldn't dare.

Would they?
The real question is before or after they hook up.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigmagirl View Post
Didn't she tell the psychiatrist she did?
yes - she did - and the emotion in the scene that castle watched made it clear what she was implying.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:55 PM

The secret I was referring to was not that he now knows she remembered what he said, but rather that he has a deal with someone invoke with her mothers murderer to keep her deflected so they won't have to kill her.

I inagine that learning this will piss her off.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:20 PM

Five things:
1) It shouldn't matter whether she remembers that he said that or not...people say all sorts of things in the heat of the moment, when they think someone is dying, and anything said at that time is suspect.
2) She was shot in her freaking heart while at the funeral of her former chief, whom she learned had been corrupt. Serious PSTD. It is selfish for anyone to force his or her needy emotional trips on someone in that state.
3) She referred to her fragile emotional state and his expectations when she said she needed to deal with some stuff before she could get into a relationship. That actually was a response to his "I love you."
4) Why is he mad at her for keeping a secret, when he's keeping a heck of a big one?
5) His reaction to what he thinks is her rejection is like a grade schooler's or junior high kid's. Storming off, picking up floozies, showing confidential police info to a recent pick-up. Juvenile.
Immature. Stupid.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:28 PM

I agree. Castle needs to man up and put his cards on the table!
Old 04-05-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Five things:
1) It shouldn't matter whether she remembers that he said that or not...people say all sorts of things in the heat of the moment, when they think someone is dying, and anything said at that time is suspect.
That's on her to determine. She's being just as foolish as he is by not asking him about that.
Quote:
2) She was shot in her freaking heart while at the funeral of her former chief, whom she learned had been corrupt. Serious PSTD. It is selfish for anyone to force his or her needy emotional trips on someone in that state.
And while she was dealing with that at the beginning of the season, he kept clear so far as I remember.
Quote:
3) She referred to her fragile emotional state and his expectations when she said she needed to deal with some stuff before she could get into a relationship. That actually was a response to his "I love you."
I don't remember this, so can't speak to it.
Quote:
4) Why is he mad at her for keeping a secret, when he's keeping a heck of a big one?
I don't think he IS mad. He has an extremely good reason for not telling her his secret; because her likely reaction could get her killed. So if she's kept her secret from him, then it's because she had a good reason, and he presumed that reason to be because she'd have to hurt him emotionally if it came out in the open, which she doesn't want to do. That's on him for not approaching her about it, but he's not approaching her for the same reason she's not approaching him: introducing the possibility of being hurt by the other person if their affections were made known could upset what they have going on the surface, which they both like.

It's an irrational, illogical decision, but not an unreasonable one. It also has the meta-benefit for the writers of keeping the will they/won't they tension going.
Quote:
5) His reaction to what he thinks is her rejection is like a grade schooler's or junior high kid's. Storming off, picking up floozies, showing confidential police info to a recent pick-up. Juvenile.
Immature. Stupid.
This sounds like a reference to the latest episode which I haven't seen. I wouldn't be surprised, though. He's become a better person primarily because of her, and he's feeling hurt, so he's retreating into the life he knows without her. Eventually he'll stop being hurt and snap out of it.

Last edited by Bosstone; 04-05-2012 at 05:39 PM..
Old 04-05-2012, 06:02 PM

Okay, Bosstone, I concede to you that he has grown up a lot, for the most part.
Now that I looked at the trailer for the Adam Baldwin episode, I think he'll get another kick in that direction. I think it'll be funnier, too.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Five things:
Immature. Stupid.
It's a little less high-school-drama than this. Castle has been figuring that Beckett never heard his declaration of love. But now he realizes she did hear it - and has said nothing about it.

So he's assuming, not unjustifiably, that the reason she hasn't mentioned it is because she doesn't return the feeling and is trying to spare him the embarassment of being told so explicitly. He's not mad at her for keeping a secret but he's taking her silence as a tacit admission that she doesn't love him and he's decided to move on.

Martha asked him if he was going to stop working with the police now that he felt this way. Castle said no, because he feels that even though he'll never have a relationship with Beckett, he's doing something useful in helping solve crimes and he wants to continue doing that. Which I think reflects some maturity.

Last edited by Little Nemo; 04-05-2012 at 06:23 PM..
Old 04-09-2012, 03:19 PM

I don't think it's jumped the shark - though I do hope it returns to less serious episodes again,like it has done before after a couple of serious ones.

Why is Castle so certain she doesn't love him just because she's done nothing about it? They already had a conversation about how she can't have a relationship at the moment. But it will be nice to see him less puppy-doggish around her - let her make the running for a change.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

Him as a puppy-dog is funnier.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:37 PM
Charter Member

Jump the shark with this episode?

They still haven't landed their shark-jump after the incredibly stupid 2-part CIA spooks with the secret underground base and secret plot to destroy the world episode, complete with Jack Bauer-like "everybody turns out to be the opposite of who they claimed to be" plot line. They only way to have saved that episode was for it all to be a dream at the end -- it was basically the stupidly elaborate plot that Castle is always seeing in mundane murders, except it was real? Stupid, stupid, stupid.

By comparison, a minor misunderstanding about who loves who is barely worth mentioning.

Last edited by TimeWinder; 04-09-2012 at 10:38 PM.. Reason: Didn't use enough "stupids" to describe how stupid it was.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeWinder View Post
Jump the shark with this episode?

They still haven't landed their shark-jump after the incredibly stupid 2-part CIA spooks with the secret underground base and secret plot to destroy the world episode, complete with Jack Bauer-like "everybody turns out to be the opposite of who they claimed to be" plot line. They only way to have saved that episode was for it all to be a dream at the end -- it was basically the stupidly elaborate plot that Castle is always seeing in mundane murders, except it was real? Stupid, stupid, stupid.

By comparison, a minor misunderstanding about who loves who is barely worth mentioning.
Actually, I liked that story. Although I might be biased from the fact that I've lusted for Jennifer Beals ever since I saw Flashdance.

In fact, the episode that didn't work for me was the recent "dream" episode, where they were all recast in a forties detective genre.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
In fact, the episode that didn't work for me was the recent "dream" episode, where they were all recast in a forties detective genre.
OK, I just read that as "racist" instead of "recast" and wonder just what episode you were watching?

I need more coffee.