Old 08-20-2007, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkMeister
Well, IMHO any recipe thread properly belongs in Cafe Society. While there can be no Great Debate over the fact that Bacon Salt might be useful in a BBQ Pit, would any member of the Staff Report us for answering the General Question that there is nothing Mundane and Pointless in working together to establish that everything About This Message Board is done in honor of Cecil's Column?
How can one refute logic like this?
Contest recipe thread is here
Old 08-21-2007, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuckerfan
Well, then, does 3 packs of Silk Cuts for a 3 pack of Bacon Salt sound like a fair trade?
Aoplogies for the late reply but I've had PC problems of gargantuan proportions a Pit rant will ensue.

Yes indeedy a fair swap indeed
Old 08-21-2007, 09:56 PM
ComeToTheDarkSideWeHaveCookies ComeToTheDarkSideWeHaveCookies is offline

My new favorite thing about Bacon Salt

In our kitchen growing up, we kept a lidded, ceramic container next to the stove to hold the drippings from frying bacon. Eggs were fried in a cast iron pan using the congealed bacon fat.

Bacon salt gives me the same, satisfying stroll down memory lane, without the whole frying in bacon fat part.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeToTheDarkSideWeHaveCookies
In our kitchen growing up, we kept a lidded, ceramic container next to the stove to hold the drippings from frying bacon. Eggs were fried in a cast iron pan using the congealed bacon fat.
"For my tenth birthday, my parents bought me a triple bypass."
Old 08-21-2007, 11:13 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip
"For my tenth birthday, my parents bought me a triple bypass."
My grandmother, well into her 90's, still does that (keeps bacon fat to cook in). And her concept of refrigeration for foods that can spoil is pretty hit or miss.

It's not just the pan that's cast iron; I suspect her arteries and stomach are, as well.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:41 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

My bacon salt came today.

Thus far, it has been tried on ham and bean soup, cheese, carrots, beef jerky, and of course by itself. I think I like the Original best; Fierra likes the Peppered best.

For my part, I'm glad that it's not as overly salty as I feared. I like the taste, but wish it was a little stronger overall. I had to use a lot of it to taste it in the soup. I guess I'm saying it's a good product, but I want a stronger taste.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:19 AM

Atkins-friendly vegetarian BLT:

One large slice of the best tomato you can find, liberally sprinkled with bacon salt, and wrapped completely in Romaine lettuce leaves. Eat. Love. Smile.

I'm planning on making some Chex Party Mix with this. I'm wondering about the Worcestershire Sauce, though. Would something else work better with the baconiness? I've got some dark soy sauce which is a bit sweeter than the regular stuff. That might compliment the bacon flavor...but I'm taking suggestions.

Has anyone else found that their grocery store runs are now entirely about buying things that would taste good with bacon salt?

A month from now, we're all going to be sick of bacon. You watch.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:46 AM
The Zeroeth Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dijon Warlock
A month from now, we're all going to be sick of bacon. You watch.
Blasphemy!
Old 08-23-2007, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Atkins-friendly vegetarian BLT:

One large slice of the best tomato you can find, liberally sprinkled with bacon salt, and wrapped completely in Romaine lettuce leaves. Eat. Love. Smile.

But Atkins is all FOR bacon, the real, meaty, greasy delight of it.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeWinder
My grandmother, well into her 90's, still does that (keeps bacon fat to cook in). And her concept of refrigeration for foods that can spoil is pretty hit or miss.

It's not just the pan that's cast iron; I suspect her arteries and stomach are, as well.
Ditto. My grandparents always kept a coffee can around for the bacon drippings, and the daily eggs were always friend in bacon fat. My grandpa ate not only the fat from his own pork chop, but also the fat that everyone else cut off from theirs. Never hurt him. Of course, he was a farmer and physically active every day. Even after he retired and moved to Florida, he swam several miles every day.

Me, I forgo most of the fat, and I'll stick to bacon salt over good greasy bacon itself most of the time. Sitting at the computer is not as good for the bod as farming.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:40 AM

Quote:
A month from now, we're all going to be sick of bacon.
Stone the unbeliever!
Old 08-23-2007, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asimovian
Blasphemy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervaise
Stone the unbeliever!
Heed my warning, people!

It's like the natives of South America who have chewed the leaves of the coca plant for hundreds (if not thousands) of years for the stamina-enhancing properties.

Then, modern technology introduced the refined versions: cocaine, and later crack.

I'm tellin' ya, it's all downhill from here (although, if it makes anyone feel better, I'm TOTALLY going down with you: this stuff is incredible!).
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingButStrong
But Atkins is all FOR bacon, the real, meaty, greasy delight of it.
Eh...not quite. Real bacon can be cured with things that add carbs, so Atkins says you have to be careful and limit yourself on consumption of the Big "B".

Bacon Salt has no such problem.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:47 PM

Guys, I don't know if anyone tried this before but I just gave the Bacon Salt the ultimate test. I put it on Cup O'Noodles and it was good! Well, anything is a step up for them. I had also put them in a pan, added peas and spinach and a beaten egg so that may have helped too. I used a light sprinkling of the peppered bacon salt because there's enough salt in that stuff and it was still enough to add a nice bacony undertone.

It reminds me of an episode of Red Dwarf.

BTW, the thread had fallen off page one. Everyone is slipping.

Last edited by Wile E; 08-23-2007 at 08:51 PM.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E
Everyone is slipping.
I was going to make a bacon grease joke, but with Bacon Salt, there ain't none!

So I'll just be sitting over here.

bacon
Old 08-23-2007, 09:23 PM

I just had Bacon Salt sprinkled on cheddar cheese.

It was wonderful.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:27 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member

I'm going to put Bacon Salt to the ultimate test next week: School Cafeteria food. I've bought a second 3-pack for my desk at school. We'll see if the magic of Bacon Salt can transform the crap they pass off as food into something remotely edible.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:09 PM
ComeToTheDarkSideWeHaveCookies ComeToTheDarkSideWeHaveCookies is offline

It (Peppered) just resurrected my deflated leftover half sandwich from lunch at Togos into a peppy delight in my mouth.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:10 PM

Fools.

Listen to me. You've gotta tell them! Bacon Salt is people! We've gotta stop them somehow!
Old 08-24-2007, 12:04 AM

Bacon Salt is my kind of people!
Old 08-24-2007, 03:51 AM

I've been thinking that this stuff would work on everything except fresh fruit.

I may be wrong about that, however. I've heard that people like ham with their pineapple, and prosciutto with their canteloupe.

I'm not a big fan of fruit with meat, but other people are. What say they?
Old 08-24-2007, 04:33 AM

Quote:
I've been thinking that this stuff would work on everything except fresh fruit.

I may be wrong about that, however. I've heard that people like ham with their pineapple, and prosciutto with their canteloupe.

I'm not a big fan of fruit with meat, but other people are. What say they?

I've had it on fresh peaches and cantaloupe. Most excellent! Fresh pineapple? Can't wait to try it!
Old 08-24-2007, 05:06 PM

I was finally able to order it! I took a picture because I <3 Bacon Salt.

I have to bring appetizers to a party tomorrow. I wonder if Bacon Salt would go well in a tapenade (ok that might be stretching it, but I'll try a sample anyways.)

Bacon bacon bacon!
Old 08-24-2007, 05:34 PM
The Zeroeth Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Bruin
I was finally able to order it! I took a picture because I <3 Bacon Salt.

I have to bring appetizers to a party tomorrow. I wonder if Bacon Salt would go well in a tapenade (ok that might be stretching it, but I'll try a sample anyways.)

Bacon bacon bacon!
I expect full reports from you in a month or two about how well Bacon Salt goes with Rose Bowl fare.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:31 PM

I ordered this too, within seconds... Uhh 1-3 weeks for delivery? NOOOOO!!
Old 08-24-2007, 10:06 PM

Quote:
I expect full reports from you in a month or two about how well Bacon Salt goes with Rose Bowl fare.
I will report as commanded, O Bacon Pope my Bacon Pope!

bacon bacon bacon
Old 08-24-2007, 11:02 PM

My sister hates bacon. She ate some of my pasta with Bacon Salt today. And liked it.

I have not told her there was Bacon Salt in it yet. Should I?
Old 08-24-2007, 11:24 PM
Charter Member

I nominated this for Threadspotting, but finally got around to ordering it today.

bacon bacon bacon
Old 08-25-2007, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Mmmmmm....bacon salt on fresh rose petals in bowls...

I'm tellin' ya, this is the bacon version of coke. If we figure out how to smoke this, we are all DOOMED!!!

But happy...DOOMED but happy. It seems fair.

You may laugh, but I was right about the canteloupe! Therefore...
Old 08-25-2007, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drain Bead
The Bacon Salt is indeed delicious...and it appears I may be allergic to something in it. Every time I have a lot of it, I break out in the itchy.

I'm still hoping it's something else and I can continue with my bacony goodness.

It's a BaconSalt miracle. Returning the long lost loved ones home.

I'm having a BLT for dinner tonite. I'll be adding BaconSalt to it.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:24 PM

[QUOTE=Queen Bruin]I will report as commanded, O Bacon Pope my Bacon Pope [ENDQUOTE]

Is Asimovian, the Bacon Pope, empowered to confer sainthood on practitioners of the bacon fath? I propose that Bacon Sainthood be conferred upon those who produce the best recipes for Bacony Bliss. I still think that Cervaise's recipes near the beginning of this thread are close to qualifying him for sainthood, if he produces proof of a miracle.

And (this is really too obvious) Devilsknew could play Devil's Advocate
Old 08-26-2007, 03:28 PM

Just reporting in that the pepper variety makes an excellent dry rub for pot roast. The air in my kitchen is filled with bacony beefy goodness...Hallelujah!
Old 08-27-2007, 03:44 AM

A U.S. friend has just notified me that she is sending a care package of Bacon Salt over to the Big Rotten Onion, a.k.a. Moscow.

This is good. This is very good. I've actually been dreaming about the stuff. Repeatedly. But now I will get to spread the message of Bacon Salt to the Russians!
Old 08-27-2007, 07:41 AM

Here in the UK we wait patiently for bacon salt to arrive on our shores

I'm getting fed up of waiting
Old 08-27-2007, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowder
Here in the UK we wait patiently for bacon salt to arrive on our shores

I'm getting fed up of waiting
Send me a mailing address, and I'll send you a package of all three flavors. I received a double amount by mistake. No need to send anything in return.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:25 AM

Oh Og.

Apparently the care package (which was ordered yesterday) has now arrived at my friend's place in the U.S.

And of course she has opened it, and is letting me know via IM what it is like.

I am in an agony of anticipation here.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:38 AM
The Zeroeth Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapiotar
Is Asimovian, the Bacon Pope, empowered to confer sainthood on practitioners of the bacon fath? I propose that Bacon Sainthood be conferred upon those who produce the best recipes for Bacony Bliss. I still think that Cervaise's recipes near the beginning of this thread are close to qualifying him for sainthood, if he produces proof of a miracle.
I'm beginning to think that Cervaise is actually the true Bacon Pope, and that he's wielding all the power behind the scenes whilst I simply act as the public face of Bacon Salt.

Regardless, I think he's already secured his place in Hog Heaven.

Oh, yes -- I went there.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:05 PM

I butterflied and cooked a chicken breast last night. I was in a hurry and it was a thick breast hence why I split it, I had defrosted it a little in the microwave, thinner parts cooked a little and so I ended up with some "broth". I liberally applied Peppered Bacon Salt to both sides and browned one side in a small amount of olive oil. It smelled like I was frying bacon. Then I flipped it and waited about a minute and added the broth left over from defrosting and covered it to steam a bit. The result actually tasted like it had been smoked, still good for a quick no frills meal.

I had also thrown some frozen peas in the remaining broth for a quick cook and they tasted nicely bacon smokey, too. I realized I didn't add butter to them because they were great they way they were so I probably cut a few calories and fat as well.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapiotar
Send me a mailing address, and I'll send you a package of all three flavors. I received a double amount by mistake. No need to send anything in return.
Both yourself and Asimovians lady wife are my heroes

Last edited by chowder; 08-27-2007 at 01:11 PM.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:27 PM

I added original Bacon Salt to a few pieces of toast and whizzed 'em in my Cuisinart as potato au gratin topping. It wasn't a heavy taste of bacon but was definitely perceptible and quite delicious. I used Dubliner cheese from Trader Joe's in my sauce if anyone is interested in the cheese angle (Cheese + Bacon = )

Tonight, peppered Bacon Salt pot roast - thanks, supervenusfreak!
Old 08-27-2007, 03:30 PM

Will you please be quiet please? (pace Carver) until I get my bacon salt?

I am suffering here!
Old 08-27-2007, 05:57 PM

I sprinkled Bacon Salt on my BLT.

It was awesome.

Tonite, I will be putting BaconSalt on a ham, turky, cheese and mayo sammich. I may also put some leftover bacon on the sammich (an odd thing, leftover bacon. Never had it before).
Old 08-27-2007, 08:58 PM

My son commandeered The Original, but I still have Peppered and Hickory.

He proclaimed it "Food of the Gods." He said he's going to bring it with when school starts in order to make the lunch room food palatable.

Why, yes, he is an Honor Student.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:47 PM

Well, I figured out why my chicken breast had a smokey flavor, apparently I picked up the Hickory flavor last night. I thought I read "Original", darned eyes are going! Oh well, no problem, it was still good.

Tonight I had an omelet with (definitely) the Original and cheese. I was going to just have a quick TV dinner but I dropped my eggs when I came in the door with my groceries. And the omelet was yummy, of course.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:00 PM
Charter Member

I second anyone saying try it on any and everything. I make a kind of pot casserole on lazy days with Kraft mac and cheese, a can of tuna or salmon, and frozen veggies (and whatever else in the fridge looks like it would fit), and the bacon salt went lovely with this dish - tuna and bacon? Yup. I haven't run into anything yet that it didn't improve.

I'm going to tell everyone I know to buy some just because of the complete lack of ripping us off for shipping, though.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:09 PM

I made my fallback quick meal tonight. Meat cut into bite-size pieces and sort-of stir-fried with whatever veggies I have available, seasoned depending on my mood, served with pasta or rice. Tonight it was pork, green peppers, onions and mushrooms with pasta, and I decided to try it with Hickory Bacon Salt. Bacon and pork would seem overkill, but it was quite good.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:27 PM

As soon as I can, I'm gettin' summa this dang salt. I worked in a kitchen one summer and one of the daily duties was to fry gobs of bacon for use on salads and sandwiches. Oh, how I miss that job!

All else aside though, it's just slightly possible that bacon flavoring can be taken too far. Wait! Wait! Don't light the torches yet! See for yourself here, then judge me. I haven't actually tried the stuff, but I'm willing if I ever see it.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:12 AM
Charter Member

The Bacon Salt folks liked my recipe!

I just got this email from Bacon Love (recipes@baconsalt.com):

Wow! That sounds like something I would devour completely – we’ve been cooking up a storm lately and that’s definitely one we will use. Great job, and thanks for sending!

I posted the recipe in the (short-lived) Cafe Society Bacon Salt recipe contest thread, but will repeat the post here:

Quote:
Here's a recipe I just made and devoured for lunch. Serves one as a meal; adjust quantities according to number of diners and whether it's your main course or a side dish.

Simple Summer Salad:

One Hass avocado, chopped.
One hard-boiled egg, chopped
One medium-size tomato, seeded and chopped
One handful of broccoli sprouts

Toss all in a bowl with Bacon Salt to taste. Eat!

I happened to use Original flavor but I'm sure it would work great with Peppered or Hickory too. I found myself adding another sprinkle during the meal -- more bacony goodness!
Old 08-28-2007, 04:46 PM

ok I dont know if anyone has posted this or is still interested but

the stuff is good, damn good.

but

it does take quite a bit to get good flavor, well compared to other seasonings anyway.

also it contains WHEAT, MILK, and SOY products, grats on making a product with all of the big 3 food alergy/intolerances in one shot.

that said, I am very dairy intolerant and its pretty bad with soy as well. I take a pill for the dairy and the soy doesnt seem to be enough to bother me.

bacon burger anyone?
Old 09-03-2007, 05:32 AM

Just received a shipment from the USA and couldn't wait to try it with scrambled eggs

It is just as good as I expected it to be, even better

Now when is it going to be on sale in the UK?

Last edited by chowder; 09-03-2007 at 05:35 AM.
Old 09-23-2007, 04:49 PM

I was out in the field yesterday, this was too good to pass up, had to snap a pic.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41983136@N00/?saved=1

Insidious.