Old 08-03-2007, 01:26 PM
The Zeroeth Mod

I am very sad to report that, due to Barry Bonds mania last night, they put some weird restrictions in place at Dodger Stadium that prevented me from wandering between levels. Since I had Top Deck seats, I could not get down below where the garlic fries were, despite my protests to the ushers. *sigh* I may not have that particular opportunity again for a month or so. My apologies.

I did try Bacon Salt on a Dodger Dog, but I was having a very hard time finding a balance between too little and too much. I think my disappointment at not being able to have bacony garlic fries caused me to lose focus on properly seasoning the dog.

Until next time...
Old 08-03-2007, 01:30 PM
ComeToTheDarkSideWeHaveCookies ComeToTheDarkSideWeHaveCookies is offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asimovian
I think my disappointment at not being able to have bacony garlic fries caused me to lose focus on properly seasoning the dog.
Perhaps you should pray about this short-coming.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:08 PM

Quote:
I am very sad to report that, due to Barry Bonds mania last night, they put some weird restrictions in place at Dodger Stadium that prevented me from wandering between levels. Since I had Top Deck seats, I could not get down below where the garlic fries were, despite my protests to the ushers. *sigh* I may not have that particular opportunity again for a month or so. My apologies.

I did try Bacon Salt on a Dodger Dog, but I was having a very hard time finding a balance between too little and too much. I think my disappointment at not being able to have bacony garlic fries caused me to lose focus on properly seasoning the dog.

Until next time...
See? See? You are unworthy of being the Bacon Pope! You should have excommunicated those scoundrels on the spot and called a Crusade to storm the garlic fries stands! Turn in your funny hat!
Old 08-03-2007, 02:56 PM
The Zeroeth Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuckerfan
See? See? You are unworthy of being the Bacon Pope! You should have excommunicated those scoundrels on the spot and called a Crusade to storm the garlic fries stands! Turn in your funny hat!
Suuuuuuuuuure, kick a man when he's down already. I don't see YOU walking around with a container of Bacon Salt in your pocket!
Old 08-03-2007, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Suuuuuuuuuure, kick a man when he's down already. I don't see YOU walking around with a container of Bacon Salt in your pocket!
Only because the mailman hasn't delivered it yet.

Last edited by Tuckerfan; 08-03-2007 at 03:07 PM.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:39 PM
Charter Member

They came, they came, today is a good day!. There is bacony goodness in my kitchen. Cottage Cheese with original -- pretty good. Fried eggs with pepper -- Wonderful!! Light dash of original on tossed salad -- I need more salad makings due to this being so good!
Old 08-03-2007, 03:46 PM

Mine came today too. I smelled bacon as soon as I opened the box!

I sprinkled the original flavor on potato salad and cherry tomatoes. Excellent. Subtle, but still bacon-y. I've tried other seasoning salts, where even a little bit can be overpowering.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:58 PM
The Zeroeth Mod

Quote:
Only because the mailman hasn't delivered it yet.
Since this thread was started fifteen days ago, you have no one to blame but yourself for the lack of totable bacon.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:08 PM

just got mine last night. First thin I tried was with a shot of taquilla and a lime
Old 08-03-2007, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Since this thread was started fifteen days ago, you have no one to blame but yourself for the lack of totable bacon.
Ah, but when the thread was started, I was between jobs, so I couldn't order it right then (Man does not live by bacon salt alone. Bacon Jesus), but as soon as I was certain I'd found another job, I placed an order.

Last edited by Tuckerfan; 08-03-2007 at 04:17 PM.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:18 PM

Whoever suggested the original on peanut butter toast? Thank you, thank you, thank you! Just a light touch of bacony goodness makes it absolutely incredibly delicious. I normally don't like anything else with peanut butter except dark berry jam, but for bacon salt? I'm totally making an exception. Plus it has the added bonus of the heavenly bacony aroma torturing my dogs, who can't understand why Mama is eating bacon and they don't get any.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:19 PM

I'm finally going to succumb to temptation and order my three-pack. I had just taken a package of Real Bacon (Naturally Hickory Smoked) out of my freezer the day this thread was started and thus my need has not been as great. When my order arrives, however, I will be able to report on how Bacon Salt works on tomatoes immediately after they are picked off the vine.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:22 PM
The Zeroeth Mod

Quote:
Ah, but when the thread was started, I was between jobs, so I couldn't order it right then (Man does not live by bacon salt alone. Bacon Jesus), but as soon as I was certain I'd found another job, I placed an order.
Fine. You've torn me down; you've made excuses for your own shortcomings. I humbly request a bacon truce. What bacon has joined together, let no one put asunder.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:18 PM

Well, I went to the mailbox, hoping that there'd be a package of bacon salt waiting for me, and the mailbox was empty!

Except for a box of bacon salt!
bacon bacon bacon
[Billy] It's partially hydrogenated! [/Billy]
Old 08-03-2007, 10:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Alright, I didn't want to have to do this devilsknew but you leave me no choice.
::: Reaches for large can labeled "Whoop Ass" and unscrews the lid:::

Bacon Salt is kosher and vegetarian. Can you (truthfully) make the same claim?

::: Replaces the lid on the can of "Whoop Ass" and heads of to the kitchen for some eggs with bacon salt. :::

Well it depends, I offer both. My "product lines" (recipes) consist of a Kosher and vegetarian version as well as an omnivore/carnivore version.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E
EWWWW! Now you've gone too far! I did not need that mental image of my dad porking.

*starts gathering stones*
Makin' the Bacon, Babee! Makin' the Bacon...
Old 08-03-2007, 10:22 PM

Now I wonder...is there a Sausage Salt or a Ham Salt out there?
Old 08-03-2007, 10:30 PM
BANNED

I feel like watching Motel Hell. A Great sausage horror. What exactly is the secret ingredient in this so-called bacon salt?
Old 08-03-2007, 10:32 PM
BANNED

"It takes all kinds of critters to make Farmer Vincent's Fritters." -Farmer Vincent

Last edited by devilsknew; 08-03-2007 at 10:33 PM.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat
Now I wonder...is there a Sausage Salt or a Ham Salt out there?
Seriously, you could probably take some Ham base and dry it into a granulation in a food dehdsrator or low oven and make a Ham salt. You might not even need the salt, as Ham base is rather salty.

Last edited by devilsknew; 08-03-2007 at 10:40 PM.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsknew
I feel like watching Motel Hell. A Great sausage horror. What exactly is the secret ingredient in this so-called bacon salt?
Love. That's what it is! Some your cruel devil's heart could never understand.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Seriously, you could probably take some Ham base and dry it into a granulation in a food dehdsrator or low oven and make a Ham salt. You might not even need the salt, as Ham base is rather salty.
You could similarly make a vegetarian and I assume kosher version of Ham Salt with All Natural Vegetarian Ham Flavored Base.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:38 AM

GAH!! My Bacon salt adventure was mightily thwarted today at the Everett Cost Cutter. Apparently, they have had 2 or 3 people a day looking for the stuff. Perhaps tomorrow will bear bacon salt goodness.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:39 AM
BANNED

Add some sage and sundry spices to the Ham salt and you got sausage salt.

Last edited by devilsknew; 08-04-2007 at 12:39 AM.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Makin' the Bacon, Babee! Makin' the Bacon...
Arrghhh! Stop it! *puts fingers in ears* la la la, I can't hear you!

*wanders off to find some brain bleach*
Old 08-04-2007, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervaise
Crab cakes tonight.
The menu:

Cornbread muffins with Original Bacon Salt in the batter; six muffins total, three left plain, the other three with additional Bacon Salt, one of each kind, sprinkled on top.

Collard greens, broken down and thoroughly blanched, then sauteed with butter and Hickory Bacon Salt, and a handful of diced tomato tossed in at the end with a healthy dash of Bacon Salt to finish.

Dungeness crab cakes, two, one with Original Bacon Salt, one with Peppered, accompanied by a lemon-herb mayo-based sauce.

Results:

The crab cakes were good, but could have been better. As has been amply demonstrated in previous cooking, the heat definitely takes the body out of the Bacon Salt. A little more would have helped, plus a sprinkle after they came out of the frying pan.

The cornbread muffins were okay, but lacked something. I normally think of cornbread as having a sweet component, but I cut back on that so as not to interfere with the Bacon Salt. Again, the heat of baking degraded the Bacon Salt's flavor. I don't know how much more I could add to compensate without making them too salty, though. Next time I'll make them a little bit moister, add a touch more Bacon Salt and a touch more sugar, and split them immediately after baking in order to add a dollop of Bacon Salt butter. Definitely keep all of this in mind if you want to try baking with Bacon Salt yourself.

The collard greens, thankfully, were great. The bacon flavor was an excellent complement to the dark and slightly bitter/peppery quality of the greens. Previous experiments suggested a final dash of Bacon Salt at the end; that was the right move. Delicious.

Next up: Adding Bacon Salt to the breading for Fried Chicken.

bacon
Old 08-04-2007, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervaise
Next up: Adding Bacon Salt to the breading for Fried Chicken.
I'm thinking exactly the same thing, but under the breading. {bacon salt > flour > egg > breadcrumbs} I'm thinking Hickory with this application.

Got my three-pack a couple days ago, and have enjoyed it on everything so far. As a previous poster stated, GREAT with mac n' cheese. Good with wings, too.

I think I screwed up, though. I talked it up so much before I got it that the SO is starting to forbid it before I cook something. I'll have to start sneaking it in things and build her up gradually, much like how I got her to enjoy hot sauce.
Old 08-04-2007, 04:42 PM

What in the HELL HELL HELL took me so long to open this thread?!? I thought it was about bacon curing for some reason. Never in my wildest dreams could I have imagined such a product! I want!
Old 08-04-2007, 09:06 PM
ComeToTheDarkSideWeHaveCookies ComeToTheDarkSideWeHaveCookies is offline

I have either a brilliant, or brilliantly stupid idea.

Are any of you, my Bacon Bretheren, fans of the show Top Chef on Bravo?

I'm fairly sure that Season 3 has already finished filming, but there will likely be a Season 4.

We should start a grass-roots viral campaign to get Bacon Salt on the show as an ingredient for one of the quickfire challenges.
Old 08-05-2007, 05:05 PM

I can tell you the bacon salt boys are nice and responsive when contacted by email. (I accidentally ordered twice. They canceled my error-order quickly and pleasantly.)

bacon bacon bacon
Old 08-05-2007, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savannah
I can tell you the bacon salt boys are nice and responsive when contacted by email. (I accidentally ordered twice. They canceled my error-order quickly and pleasantly.)

bacon bacon bacon
I agree. I emailed them about how much I liked the product, and that I wish that I could buy larger sizes. They were very prompt and very nice. They also said that they were working on exactly that.

BTW I am going to be adding the hickory flavor to split pea soup that I am preparing right now...
Old 08-05-2007, 09:35 PM
Charter Member

I opened this thread on Friday.

Today I gave in and joined the bacony crowd. A 3-pack has been ordered, and I look forward to adding that ineffable flavour of bacon to many dishes.

Would have gone well on the filet mignon I had tonight, which I think is what tipped me over the edge and into the slough created by everyone's drooling.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:43 PM

Well, I'll be getting the bacon salt very soon as well.

However, a friend of mine is a complete and utter nonbeliever.
I shall convert him.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:55 PM

I tried it with some shrimp alfredo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin
Oh, my God! This is better than sex!
Old 08-05-2007, 10:00 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member

I added it to a huge pot of Chili Mac tonight. Wonderful! Subtle notes of bacony goodness highlighted the chili sauce.

Can you tell my wife is out of town this week?
Old 08-05-2007, 11:58 PM

Two words:

Hash Browns.

Orgasmic.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:43 AM

I've followed this thread right from the off.

I hate all you buggers out there with bacon salt, I really do.

We demand it becomes available in the UK 'cos I aint paying a fortune to have it shipped only for the postie to nick it.

I f just one of you had a heart you'd offer to mail me some in return for some of our excellent British chocolate

Last edited by chowder; 08-06-2007 at 02:45 AM.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:23 AM

Bah, I'm a latecomer as well.

But the order is in!

and the wait will suck!
Old 08-06-2007, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin
Oh, my God! This is better than sex!
OK, I've got mine and it's very good, but I think you're doing something very wrong if you believe that.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowder
If just one of you had a heart you'd offer to mail me some in return for some of our excellent British chocolate
Can you gimme until September, chowder? I'm moving, gotta save my pennies until then.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:10 AM

A serious question for all of you baconiacs. How salty does this stuff taste? Is it on par with garlic salt or is the salt aspect more subtle?
Old 08-06-2007, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish
Can you gimme until September, chowder? I'm moving, gotta save my pennies until then.
I'll wait with bated, sorry, baconed, breath
Old 08-06-2007, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRM
A serious question for all of you baconiacs. How salty does this stuff taste? Is it on par with garlic salt or is the salt aspect more subtle?
Definately more subtle.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:33 PM

They must have improved their production / shipping.

Ordered 3 pack yesterday - got comfirmation & shipping info TODAY

Woohoo! - A few days until bacony nirvana!

BAND NAME !
Old 08-06-2007, 04:28 PM

Quote:

We demand it becomes available in the UK 'cos I aint paying a fortune to have it shipped only for the postie to nick it.

I f just one of you had a heart you'd offer to mail me some in return for some of our excellent British chocolate

I'd be willing in exchange for chocolate but I don't have my bacon salt yet and I don't think shipping chocolate to Florida in August would work out well for me. But if you still don't have your bacon salt by Autumn, let me know.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:30 PM

I ordered three 3-packs and only received one. When I emailed them about the mix-up, they immediately mailed out three more 3-packs. They even express mailed them! I love these guys.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:43 PM

Quote:

Dude, just catch a bus over to Amsterdam. I hear you can get a gram for like, 7 EUR.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

I just ordered the three-pack. We shall see!
Old 08-06-2007, 05:03 PM

I used it last night on hash-browned potatoes, and today in a zucchini-tomato saute. I'm beginning to wonder if there's anything that bacon salt can't improve upon.

This is gonna make great stocking stuffers at Christmas.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntiePam
I'm beginning to wonder if there's anything that bacon salt can't improve upon.
I would hesitate before applying Bacon Salt to one's hemorrhoids.