Old 05-21-2019, 03:28 AM

news article explains ow hbo shareholders could sue for damages over GOT season "fiasco"

this article explains how hbo/at&t shareholders could sue the company for damages to stock prices and losses

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/tops...BBnbfcN#page=2

do you think someones gonna attempt it? would you if you were them ?
Old 05-21-2019, 03:29 AM

Gimme a fucking break.
Old 05-21-2019, 04:23 AM

Anyone who does should be sentenced to 10 years of nothing but reality TV and Who Wants to be a Millionaire reruns.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:49 AM
Charter Member

This all seems like more over-sensitive entitled nerds having a tantrum, just as they did with The Last Jedi and Solo and also the 13th Doctor Who. This nonsense has to stop, it's gone way past ridiculous. They've inferred their actions have made a difference, when they just don't understand how little impact they really can have on what is a complex industry used to rallying after subtle economic shifts.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
Any attorney that would seriously present this argument would be laughed out of court and rightly disbarred.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
Gimme a fucking break.
This times a thousand.

Jeez, I'm starting to feel like the only person on the planet who was quite satisfied with the finale.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
This all seems like more over-sensitive entitled nerds having a tantrum, just as they did with The Last Jedi and Solo and also the 13th Doctor Who. This nonsense has to stop, it's gone way past ridiculous. They've inferred their actions have made a difference, when they just don't understand how little impact they really can have on what is a complex industry used to rallying after subtle economic shifts.
You left out Star Wars episodes 1-3 , people are still throwing tantrums over those 20 years later
Old 05-21-2019, 05:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
this article explains how hbo/at&t shareholders could sue the company for damages to stock prices and losses

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/tops...BBnbfcN#page=2

As I said about the petition:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
I wish I could believe that this petition comprised Peak Fanboy Whining, but it probably won't even be the whiniest fanboy nonsense on the Internet today.
I'm still waiting for the crowd of dorks cosplaying Jon Snow to picket HBO headquarters.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:00 AM

Regardless of the quality of the final season I'm quite confident HBO has made a killing off of GoT over the course of the series.

Why would shareholders give a damn if the quality is down while revenues and interest remains high?
Old 05-21-2019, 07:23 AM
Charter Member

Your honor, the shareholders demand Ford bring back the Crown Vic!
Old 05-21-2019, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Gimme a fucking break.
Break me off a fucking piece of that KitKat Bar.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:56 AM

HBO's defense: Here's the ratings.

End
of
lawsuit
Old 05-21-2019, 08:42 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Yeah, two things...

First, that's just fanboy whining nonsense. It's the complaints of overgrown children demanding they get what they want when they want it and making empty threats that only highlight their powerlessness and impotence. Anyone promulgating it should be deeply ashamed.

Second, who the hell is Brent Arends? He's a 'marketwatch columnist'. Good for him, he's a journalist. But he's neither an attorney nor a media expert. His opinion on the matter holds as much weight as my cats does.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:47 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

Caveat emptor, baby.

Next up: a lawsuit to force GRRM to finish the books, which must contain a foreward saying, "the end of the TV series is not canon."

Old 05-21-2019, 09:08 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Toxic fandom is reaching such idiotic levels that I don't even know what the hell to say anymore.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:22 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
Toxic fandom is reaching such idiotic levels that I don't even know what the hell to say anymore.
Yup; it's why I stopped hanging out in Star Wars fan forums a few years ago. I'd love to be able to have conversations with other fans about Star wars (or the MCU, or whatever), but it all now amounts to endless threads about "This is how Disney / HBO / whoever got it WRONG!!!!"
Old 05-21-2019, 09:43 AM

Well, Lionel Hutz did sue the makers of 'The Never Ending Story' for false advertising, and this idea has a broadly similar level of cartoonish stupidity about it.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:52 AM

That's an opinion, not a news article.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:21 PM

No.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:30 PM

So even though itís ridiculous to sue over the Game of Thrones finale, would it be possible to make a misfire so bad that a lawsuit would be proper? Is an artistic decision always insulated from judgement in ways that other business decisions are not? Would they have a case if the finale ended with Bran waking up and discovering it was all a dream, or that itís all a tabletop RPG session? Or filming the whole thing in someoneís backyard on a 1980s camcorder and improvising all the dialogue?
Old 05-21-2019, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ecks View Post
So even though itís ridiculous to sue over the Game of Thrones finale, would it be possible to make a misfire so bad that a lawsuit would be proper? Is an artistic decision always insulated from judgement in ways that other business decisions are not? Would they have a case if the finale ended with Bran waking up and discovering it was all a dream, or that itís all a tabletop RPG session? Or filming the whole thing in someoneís backyard on a 1980s camcorder and improvising all the dialogue?
Good god no. A lawsuit is not the answer to everything. The finale could have been a naked Bronn drunkenly singing, "Fuck you dorks!" for an hour, and your recourse is to cancel your HBO subscription. If you're a stockholder, you can sell your stock.

I'm not a huge believer in the invisible hand of the marketplace, but this is basically what the invisible hand was designed for. The courts shouldn't be involved.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:53 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
I think you'd have to somehow prove that they'd made deliberately bad decisions with the specific intent of tanking the show, and even then, there'd probably have to be some other criminal element, like they were trying to manipulate HBO's stock price, or they were embezzling production money.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
This times a thousand.

Jeez, I'm starting to feel like the only person on the planet who was quite satisfied with the finale.
I loved it. I loved the whole season.
Old 05-21-2019, 03:01 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
I think you'd have to somehow prove that they'd made deliberately bad decisions with the specific intent of tanking the show, and even then, there'd probably have to be some other criminal element, like they were trying to manipulate HBO's stock price, or they were embezzling production money.
Maybe if they'd done the finale as a musical, about Hitler.
Old 05-21-2019, 03:06 PM

The most blatant case of fraudulent advertising since Lionel Hutz's suit against the film The Never Ending Story.
Old 05-21-2019, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
Maybe if they'd done the finale as a musical, about Hitler.
It woulda brought down the house.
Old 05-21-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
It woulda brought down the house.
Springtime for Hodor?
Old 05-21-2019, 03:53 PM

Supposedly (?) a lot of people are canceling their HBO subs now that The Big Show is over.

But that wouldn't have anything to do with quality, necessarily. People were just keeping with it til the end before going elsewhere.

HBO is reacting too slowly to what's going on with streaming. Only recently did the boss declare that they needed to generate a lot more content. And long running, expensive, large-cast, risky, multi-season shows isn't the way to do it. That takes too big of a chunk of the production budget.

The network that proved you could have quality, popular shows outside of the traditional networks needs at least 4 time original content. Replaying a modest number of movies months after they hit streaming isn't go to work.
Old 05-21-2019, 04:01 PM

people canceled every year after GOT was done . And then signed up again the following year for GOT
Old 05-21-2019, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleJesus View Post
Regardless of the quality of the final season I'm quite confident HBO has made a killing off of GoT over the course of the series.

Why would shareholders give a damn if the quality is down while revenues and interest remains high?
Because they no longer will make a killing off of GoT now that it's over?

I admit, I didn't read the linked article as carefully as I might have, but I thought its main objection was that HBO didn't allow the show to continue, thus depriving shareholders of all the megabucks that would have come their way from future seasons.

Which is still totally , but not for quite the same reason.
Old 05-21-2019, 04:17 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
Try being the only person on the internet who thinks the finale for Quantum Leap was well-done.
Old 05-21-2019, 04:42 PM

That article is silly.

Quote:
People who run corporations are protected by the "business judgment rule." Generally, that means that as long as they are acting with good faith, loyalty, and due care, corporate directors and managers aren't liable for their business decisions even if some of the decisions turn out bad. It would be really hard for plaintiffs to establish that HBO didn't proceed with due care when they ended the show. There is no evidence of bad faith or disloyalty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
These are pretty good examples of a lack of good faith and loyalty so kudos to Miller. There are certainly lots of other potential examples.

Last edited by Tired and Cranky; 05-21-2019 at 04:44 PM. Reason: adding Wikipedia citation
Old 05-21-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneadToKnow View Post
Try being the only person on the internet who thinks the finale for Quantum Leap was well-done.
I LOVE THAT FINALE

Come on...Sam meets God??? And though not intended (Maybe...I think) to stick.... "Sam never returned to his own time" is a fantastic ending. Made me cry. Just a punch in the chest. I love it.

Loved the BSG finale too. Didn't watch Lost but saw some of the end scenes. Seemed quite well done. Was fine with the Cheers finale. Liked the TNG and DS9 finales.

Christ people.

Last edited by Dale Sams; 05-21-2019 at 05:00 PM.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left hand of dorkness View Post
the finale could have been a naked bronn drunkenly singing, "fuck you dorks!" for an hour
and why wasn't it?
Old 05-21-2019, 08:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
There was a film called Heaven's Gate in 1980 that was such a colossal disaster in so many ways that the studio ended up being sold.

After the failure of 1987's Ishtar, Coca Cola decided to get out of the movie business.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

OK, even setting aside the point about how it's a work of art, and de gustibus and so on... If shareholders are suing over loss of value of their shares, just whom are they suing? If they're shareholders, they have nobody to blame but themselves. HBO doesn't have any extra money they can distribute to their shareholders, because the money they make, they're already distributing to shareholders, because that's what shares are.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
What? Are people literally now claiming Solo bombed due to angry nerds and not just it being a bad movie? Also angry nerds are to blame for Game of Thrones complaints when I'm seeing people of all types openly complaining about the ending in public?

What's next, angry nerds are responsible for the DC movie universe bombing?
Old 05-22-2019, 12:19 AM

Misogynistic nerds are also responsible for the new Ghostbusters flopping
Old 05-22-2019, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

news article explains ow hbo shareholders could sue for damages over GOT season "fiasco"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garak View Post
Misogynistic nerds are also responsible for the new Ghostbusters flopping
The mass public not caring about the new Ghostbusters made the new Ghostbusters fall short. But yeah the trolls believe it was them

Last edited by JRDelirious; 05-22-2019 at 08:04 AM.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

Shareholders can attempt to sue. The theory behind far too many class action lawsuits isn't that one has a winnable case, it's that one has a case good enough not to get thrown out in the preliminary rounds. Then it is just a case of settling for less than it would cost to defend the case. Lawyers make a good chunk of change, the lead plaintiff(s) get(s) a payday, and everyone else gets a check for $3.14.

Legal extortion.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Gimme a fucking break.
It's as though someone took a look at Rick & Morty fans and figured "We can throw a bigger hissy fit than THAT..."

Last edited by Jophiel; 05-22-2019 at 09:03 AM.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:36 AM

If that happens I hope they get counter-sued and taken to the cleaners.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
OK, even setting aside the point about how it's a work of art, and de gustibus and so on... If shareholders are suing over loss of value of their shares, just whom are they suing? If they're shareholders, they have nobody to blame but themselves. HBO doesn't have any extra money they can distribute to their shareholders, because the money they make, they're already distributing to shareholders, because that's what shares are.
This is a common criticism of shareholder lawsuits and it's valid but, in fact, the shareholder class for a class action lawsuit will be people who held the stock during a certain period, not necessarily those who hold it today. For example, the proposed class might be investors who held the stock on the day that HBO/AT&T announced that the show would be ending, which is presumably when the stock price dropped to reflect this allegedly unjustifiable business mistake. Shareholders who sold after the announcement could still be part of the shareholder class because they would have received reduced prices on their sales. Any class action settlement or judgment money would come effectively from today's shareholders. There would be a lot of overlap between the shareholders in the class and today's shareholders but the two groups aren't exactly the same.

Additionally, many settlements are paid out of directors and officers insurance policies, which are generally paid for by the corporation. Obviously, all such premium payments ultimately come from the company being sued but the irony is that the only way for shareholders to get a return on those premium payments is to sue the company in a shareholder class action lawsuit.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:54 AM

Things like this make me think society is stupid and awful but the I remember stuff like this happens over and over. When Seinfeld ended there was a month of stories like this and then the world moved on.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
If, FSM forbid, I were one of them, I'd hope somebody would snap me out of it.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
So even though it’s ridiculous to sue over the Game of Thrones finale, would it be possible to make a misfire so bad that a lawsuit would be proper? Is an artistic decision always insulated from judgement in ways that other business decisions are not? Would they have a case if the finale ended with Bran waking up and discovering it was all a dream, or that it’s all a tabletop RPG session? Or filming the whole thing in someone’s backyard on a 1980s camcorder and improvising all the dialogue?
I don't see how anything short of proving that the whole thing was deliberately designed to fail (like Springtime for Hitler, but actually tanking like it was supposed to) would be a basis for legal action.

Edit: ninja'd

Last edited by Steve MB; 05-22-2019 at 11:22 AM.