The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 08-31-2011, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

Any good frozen burritos?

Are there any good frozen burritos? I mean ones you get at the grocery store, ideally.

I'm asking because, for some weird reason, I bought a frozen burrito at Aldi. Aldi is really cool for a lot of things. Milk goes down to $1.49 a gallon and I can get a dozen eggs for 79 cents.

Anyway, I bought one of there(get ready for it), 29 cent burritos.

My wife said, "It will taste like cardboard."

She was oddly right. I mean, like, she was totally right. The beans had about zero taste. Everything else was just mush. I seasoned it and ate it, but it was terrible.

I adore Taco Bell burritos, by the way. Yep, I'm not about the cheap crap.

So, anyway, are there any good frozen burritos you can get at the store?
Advertisements  
Old 08-31-2011, 02:06 PM

Do you have a Trader Joe's where you live?
Old 08-31-2011, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello Again View Post
I've heard about those and actually even heard about their burritos. Sadly, the closest one is 20 miles from me. A bit far.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello Again View Post
You beat me to it. They have several varieties, but some are better than others. I got the chicken fajita burritos a couple of months ago, and I found them to be very bland and boring. The garden burritos, last time I had them, were tasty.

I actually like those big 'Red Hot' beef burritos you get at gas stations.

But really, I could murder a Del Taco Macho Meat Burrito. Do you hear me, Of The Taco? Open a store up here!
Old 08-31-2011, 02:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
Sadly, the closest one is 20 miles from me. A bit far.
Ha!

(I live in a little seaside village, and it's 20 miles into town -- where Trader Joe's is.)
Old 08-31-2011, 02:27 PM

All my local Kroger supermarkets used to carry a frozen burrito called Marquez which I really loved. These were extremely cheap (50 cents a piece, I think) and tasted great. Then sometime last year, inexplicably all the Kroger stores removed the Marquez burritos and replaced them with a burrito called "Tina's". I tried one and they are absolute shit. They taste like they're made from chickpeas. Absolute, absolute shit. I am so unbelievably pissed off that they stopped carrying Marquez.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
I actually like those big 'Red Hot' beef burritos you get at gas stations.
+1. These are my go to guilty pleasure when the wife is out of town.

As far as the OP is concerned, check this out.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:51 PM

Smart & Final sells Ramona's frozen burritos, I consider those quite palatable.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Ha!

(I live in a little seaside village, and it's 20 miles into town -- where Trader Joe's is.)
I had to look it up, and apparently there is a Trader Joe's about 50 miles from where I am. Our regular grocery store is 25 miles away. I'm not driving to either of them for a frozen burrito .

How the heck can a company make a burrito that can be sold for 29 cents and not go broke? Don't the ingredients cost more than that?
Old 08-31-2011, 06:12 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member

I've been spoiled by Don Miguel from the refrigerated section.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 08-31-2011 at 06:13 PM..
Old 08-31-2011, 10:36 PM

Any frozen burrito is pretty good if you deep fry it.

Other than that, I prefer the frozen chimichangas to the burritos.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:49 PM

I'm a vegetarian, so take this suggestion with that in mind. You might find "Amy's" frozen foods in the organic/vegetarian/hippie section of your grocery store. I like their bean and cheese burritos quite a bit. Offhand, I'm not sure how much they cost, but it's probably more than a $1 each.

Last edited by Bayard; 08-31-2011 at 10:49 PM..
Old 09-01-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lute Skywatcher View Post
I've been spoiled by Don Miguel from the refrigerated section.
I thought he was from Mexico
Old 09-01-2011, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayard View Post
I'm a vegetarian, so take this suggestion with that in mind. You might find "Amy's" frozen foods in the organic/vegetarian/hippie section of your grocery store. I like their bean and cheese burritos quite a bit. Offhand, I'm not sure how much they cost, but it's probably more than a $1 each.
They're expensive. Like $2.99 expensive. My GF gets them to take to work for lunch and spends a small fortune on them.

Me, I'm perfectly happy with the $0.59 Patio garbage. I'm just gonna just drown it in hot sauce anyway.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudden Kestrel View Post
How the heck can a company make a burrito that can be sold for 29 cents and not go broke? Don't the ingredients cost more than that?
No.

Makes you wonder just what constitutes an "ingredient" doesn't it.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:11 AM

Amy's brand is good. It's sometimes in the health food section.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Sandwich View Post
+1. These are my go to guilty pleasure when the wife is out of town.
Ho ho! I haven't got a wife!

This thread, and that I'm a little tired of oatmeal or Kashi, prompted me to go down to the corner market and get a Reser's Baja Café Red Hot Beef Burrito for breakfast. A buck-sixty-nine.

In looking for an image (I didn't find one good enough to link), I see that these are the ones, in smaller form, that they sell in ten-packs in the frozen section of the supermarket. It's been a while, but I don't think they're quite as good as the bigger ones from the grocer's/convenience stores. But used to get them all the time because they were cheap and not bad.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

No idea. You see now why I had to try one.

What are these "Red Hot" beef burritos you can get at gas stations?
Old 09-01-2011, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
What are these "Red Hot" beef burritos you can get at gas stations?
Reser's Baja Café Red Hot Beef Burrito.

Also see the link Shark Sandwich posted upthread.

I also like the chorizo y papas breakfast burritos they have in the hot case at the Arco stations up here.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:01 PM

Is there a trick to microwaving these so they don't split open and ooze out while heating?
Old 09-01-2011, 08:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I had to look it up, and apparently there is a Trader Joe's about 50 miles from where I am. Our regular grocery store is 25 miles away. I'm not driving to either of them for a frozen burrito .

How the heck can a company make a burrito that can be sold for 29 cents and not go broke?
It's not big and that's good because if it were any bigger the one I ate would've fully killed me. The wacky thing is that Aldi's owns Trader Joe's.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
The wacky thing is that Aldi's owns Trader Joe's.
Oh, come on! i have three Alidis right by me. They don't carry anything even close to top-notch burritos.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:27 PM
Charter Member

Some good stuff here from my thread on the same topic.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent Towers View Post
All my local Kroger supermarkets used to carry a frozen burrito called Marquez which I really loved. These were extremely cheap (50 cents a piece, I think) and tasted great. Then sometime last year, inexplicably all the Kroger stores removed the Marquez burritos and replaced them with a burrito called "Tina's". I tried one and they are absolute shit. They taste like they're made from chickpeas. Absolute, absolute shit. I am so unbelievably pissed off that they stopped carrying Marquez.
I also love Marquez burritos, but haven't had one in years. They seem to be very difficult to find anywhere.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Amy's Bean and Cheese burritos are great, but pricey. At my market, they range from $1.49--2.00/each.

You might be able to buy them in bulk from Costco. I've done that before, but it varies by location.

They are great because they are tasty and low-fat.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:40 PM
Charter Member

Bean and cheese burritos are something that I see no point in buying frozen. I'd just make bean and cheese burritos and freeze them myself.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Oh, come on! i have three Alidis right by me. They don't carry anything even close to top-notch burritos.
My suggestion was that the Aldi;s burrito has tried to kill me, contrasting that with the possibility that you can buy digestible a burrito at her daughter's company. But if the mother tries to kill you, you should take under advisement what her daughter might offer. Good advice to any potential son in law.

ETA: But their chocolate candies aren't half bad.

Last edited by dropzone; 09-01-2011 at 10:41 PM..
Old 09-01-2011, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Ho ho! I haven't got a wife!
Way to rub it in. And sound so happy about it.

Yeah, we get it, you can go buy a frozen burrito any time you want, with no one checking the credit card receipts: "Whoa, babe, d'joo spend $3 at Ernie's Petrol last wee...::GASP:: you were eating frozen burritos again! Now, what did WE decide about white flour and preservatives?"

And, to be constructive, I love Trader Joe's, but have you tried frozen TAQUITOS in a bag from the grocery store?
Old 09-01-2011, 11:08 PM
Charter Member

The frozen (beef) taquitos are good. Unfortunately, I'm really lazy about making my own guac.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:30 AM

Quote:
The frozen (beef) taquitos are good. Unfortunately, I'm really lazy about making my own guac.
Hey Johnny, have you ever tried Wholly Guacamole? It's usually in the produce section of most supermarkets (where the fresh salsa and hummus is), and it's REAL avacado. No fillers, no soybean oil, no mayo or sour cream. Just pure, unadulterated, vacuum sealed, mushed up avacado and some spices. Best prepared guac you can buy.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Sandwich View Post
Hey Johnny, have you ever tried Wholly Guacamole? It's usually in the produce section of most supermarkets (where the fresh salsa and hummus is), and it's REAL avacado. No fillers, no soybean oil, no mayo or sour cream. Just pure, unadulterated, vacuum sealed, mushed up avacado and some spices. Best prepared guac you can buy.
That is good stuff!
Old 09-02-2011, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

I've never seen it. I'll have to look for it.

When I was a kid my sister would take me to Pacific Beach. We'd get taquitos from a stand there, and they used a guacamole 'sauce'. Some sort of green liquid. But when you're eight years old there's nothing like a hot taquito with cool green sauce on a cold, gloomy San Diego morning.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Yes, I think the Amy's line of Mexican food is pretty good in general. I also highly recommend Amy's cheese tamale verde (although, yes, I know that isn't the same as a burrito)
Old 09-03-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
Yeah, we get it, you can go buy a frozen burrito any time you want, with no one checking the credit card receipts: "Whoa, babe, d'joo spend $3 at Ernie's Petrol last wee...::GASP:: you were eating frozen burritos again! Now, what did WE decide about white flour and preservatives?"
I see two problems with this.

1> Why put a $3 burrito on a credit card? That's what cash is for.
2> The old "We (read: YOU) decided" game.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:33 PM
Creature of the Night

Once upon a time, we had a thread ranting about the unavailability of meat, bean, and cheese burritos. Seems that the OP was able to find any two of the three combined in a frozen burrito, but couldn't find all three in one. Someone came along and suggested making and freezing one's own. So I tried this. Basically, you make a big batch of burritos according to your own preference and roll the finished burritos in paper towels, which you stick in a large zipseal bag and put in the freezer. It's easy to pull one out and nuke it when you NEED that burrito fix, or when you're too tired to think about what you should make for dinner. I was rather pleasantly surprised at how easy these were. My husband was delighted to have a supply of them, too. He'll sometimes have to work rotating shifts, and he could grab a burrito or two if he had to work mids, and then nuke them at work. They stayed nicely cool in just a paper bag.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

For those curious, here is a picture of the Aldi 29 cent burrito if you want to pick one up next time you are there.

It's the top one. Casa Mamita Burrito
Old 09-04-2011, 01:55 PM

Evol (love backwards) Burritos and Trader Joe's are pretty good. Evol is usually in the organic freezer section and cost about $3 each. The Trader Joe's burritos aren't as good, but they're about 2 for $3. The key is finding a good salsa to go with them.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

I finally checked my local store - they carry three flavors of Patio variety. Is Patio any good?
Old 09-12-2011, 12:02 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oslo Ostragoth View Post
I finally checked my local store - they carry three flavors of Patio variety. Is Patio any good?
This guy likes 'em. I practically subsisted on Patio burritos 20 years ago.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 09-12-2011 at 12:04 PM..
Old 09-13-2011, 10:41 PM
Charter Member

How do you guys prepare/serve them? Or are they strictly a zap 'em and scarf quick snack?
Old 09-13-2011, 11:17 PM
Charter Member

You could heat them in the oven or fry them in oil; but yeah, I think most people just zap'n'scarf.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oslo Ostragoth View Post
It seems like half the time I buy the Patio burritos the beans aren't cooked all the way through. Refried beans shouldn't be crunchy. Even when the beans are cooked right I think they're a long way away from 'good' but I guess as frozen burritos go they're serviceable. To be honest I don't really like any frozen burritos but if I'm hungry and have hot sauce they'll do in a pinch.