The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Old 08-14-2017, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
I learned that Steven Wright is considered paraprosdokian because of his comedic method of destroying a cliche in midstream.
I just learned that what my friends and family call Navaisms already had a name! But damn, Navaism is easier to spell...

Yep, I do that a lot. Specially in business meetings: once you've punted a business cliche out of the field, people do stay awake waiting to see what else you come up with.
Advertisements  
Old 08-14-2017, 09:58 PM
Charter Member

I learned that stagecoaches were a major technological development.

The old system of traveling by horse and wagon had been around for thousands of years. You have a wagon and a team of horses and you'd hitch your horses to your wagon. Then that team of horses would pull the wagon until you arrived at your destination. Because that one team was making the whole trip, you had to maintain a slow pace so they wouldn't get exhausted.

A team of horses could pull a wagon at a much faster pace but they could only maintain that pace for about twelve miles. So somebody had a bright idea: what if you just switched teams of horses every twelve miles?

Companies designed wagons so that you could change the team of horses in under ten minutes. Then they would build a series of stops along the route every twelve miles, each with teams of horses ready. The coaches would just race between them, stop at each station, quickly change teams, and get back on the route.

Even with the frequent stops, stagecoach travel tripled the speed a passenger could travel.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kambuckta View Post
Since you mentioned 'outback' and capitalized 'Aborigines' I'm going to presume you're talking about Australian Aborigines. Whilst feral cats are indeed a problem especially knocking off native marsupials, I can pretty much guarantee that there are >1 aborigines eating cat-bushmeat.
That's exactly what I was talking about.

The cat was cornered and beaten to death by two women wielding large sticks, and when it was brought back to the camp, a biologist weighed it and examined its internal organs for disease, and its stomach for the contents, before the carcass was skinned and placed on a bonfire.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:36 AM

That some some strange architectural features in my local area are remants of an planned canal project that ran out of money. http://www.dorandsomcanal.org/features.htm
Old 08-15-2017, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
Don't leave us hanging. Elaborate.
Ok.

We had our annual bonfire at Abbott's Magic Get-Together. Every year someone brings our, "Sacred Scotch that cannot be Scotch" and we have a ritual of vanishing it. It is worth noting that I do not drink, but I will sometimes take a small sip of our Sacred Scotch just to say that I've tasted it. This year we had a guy bring Malort.

I decided to take a small sip. It was absolutely awful. In general I think all alcohol tastes terrible, but this was truly the most vile and disgusting thing I have ever tasted... and everyone else agreed. So next year we will be introducing a new amendment to our "Rules":

"The Sacred Scotch cannot be Scotch... or Malort!"

So there you have it. You have been warned.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
I learned that stagecoaches were a major technological development.

The old system of traveling by horse and wagon had been around for thousands of years. You have a wagon and a team of horses and you'd hitch your horses to your wagon. Then that team of horses would pull the wagon until you arrived at your destination. Because that one team was making the whole trip, you had to maintain a slow pace so they wouldn't get exhausted.

A team of horses could pull a wagon at a much faster pace but they could only maintain that pace for about twelve miles. So somebody had a bright idea: what if you just switched teams of horses every twelve miles?

Companies designed wagons so that you could change the team of horses in under ten minutes. Then they would build a series of stops along the route every twelve miles, each with teams of horses ready. The coaches would just race between them, stop at each station, quickly change teams, and get back on the route.

Even with the frequent stops, stagecoach travel tripled the speed a passenger could travel.
Do I take it that that's the reason for the expression stage-coach (which I'd never particularly thought about before) -- the doing of the journey in successive twelve-mile stages?
Old 08-16-2017, 04:36 AM
Charter Member

I learned this week that a guy wrote a couple of novels about a president named "Trump", who lived at the address of Trump Tower, had a cabinet member named "Pence", and whose election caused riots in the streets. Strangely this Trump was named Baron, not Donald, and the second book was named: "The Last President".

They were written in 1893.

Sleep well...
https://archive.org/details/1900orlastpresid00lock

Last edited by pullin; 08-16-2017 at 04:38 AM..
Old 08-16-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullin View Post
I learned this week that a guy wrote a couple of novels about a president named "Trump", who lived at the address of Trump Tower, had a cabinet member named "Pence", and whose election caused riots in the streets. Strangely this Trump was named Baron, not Donald, and the second book was named: "The Last President".

They were written in 1893.

Sleep well...
https://archive.org/details/1900orlastpresid00lock
You confuse the matter, sir. There are two books by Ingersoll Lockwood; the first, "Baron Trump's Marvellous Underground Adventure" is a Munchhausen-style adventure fantasy that has little or nothing to do with politics, and "1900, or the Last President" is a rabid little anti-Populist potboiler that can be summed up as "William Jennings Bryant sucks LOL". It does mention a man named Pence - once.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

I am a complete idiot: "President" derivation

I watched Seth Meyer's latest salvo against Trump, this one being Donald's response to Charlottesville.

Seth pointed out that "President" derives from "to preside" and that a President who abandons moral leadership is no longer presiding.

I am over 50 and never considered that President basically means One who Presides. I had simply never thought about it.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:55 AM

I learned recently the title font on the Grand Theft Auto games is the same as The Price is Right.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangahyando View Post
Do I take it that that's the reason for the expression stage-coach (which I'd never particularly thought about before) -- the doing of the journey in successive twelve-mile stages?
Originally, the stages were the places set up along the route and the coach was the vehicle that traveled between them. This type of coach was called a stagecoach to distinguish it from traditional coaches. Then people shortened this in common usage and called the vehicle a stage. No doubt there were pedants of that era who were upset when somebody said "I'm taking the stage to Kansas City" and explained that a stage didn't move and it was the coach that would take you someplace.

Personally, I had never really thought about all this. I saw plenty of stagecoaches in movies and TV shows but I just saw them as another type of wagon. I didn't consider that the wagon I saw was just part of a much larger organized system of transportation. I also never thought through the implications of seeing the horses racing along and how they couldn't travel long distances at that pace.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filbert View Post
So... would it be possible to extract enough vitamin C to stave off scurvy from the ship's rats?
I think it would, since humans don't need much vit. C. A slice of lemon squeezed in your water would be enough.

But in a long sea voyager, by the time scurvy becomes a problem, the rats are usually long gone. Already eaten by the crews. It's not even considered to be desperation food, you start to kill and eat them once fresh meat are gone.

Or so say the Great Patrick O'Brian.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
I watched Seth Meyer's latest salvo against Trump, this one being Donald's response to Charlottesville.

Seth pointed out that "President" derives from "to preside" and that a President who abandons moral leadership is no longer presiding.

I am over 50 and never considered that President basically means One who Presides. I had simply never thought about it.

Similarly, it occurred to me a while back that "penitentiary" is a place for penitent people, or for doing penance. A place you go to atone and feel sorry for what you've done.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:08 PM

I found out today that Stonewall Jackson's sister was an abolitionist and although they had been close in earlier life, when Stonewall joined the confederacy, she never spoke of him again.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:10 PM

I learned about Xalisco heroin dealers. Not first-hand - from this book
https://www.amazon.com/Dreamland-Tru...ords=dreamland

The book is fantastic. I thought I knew a lot about the subject but I learned a lot from the book

Xalisco is a small town in Western Mexico. They grow poppies in the hills and make a semi-processed black tar heroin.

Young men from this town come to the US and set up small, direct to retail businesses. Each business has an owner/manager, a dispatcher and several drivers. The drivers are the point of contact with the customers and they work on salary for 3-6 month "contracts". The drivers work unarmed and don't carry any more product than they can swallow - the heroin is packaged in single doses in uninflated ballons. If they get caught, they just get deported which is not really a big deal since they would go home ( for a while at least) at the end of their contract.

They set up in mid-major cities like Boise, SLC, Columbus and Charlotte and avoid locales with gang-related drug operations. They are racist and only sell to white people.

They develop contacts in the addict communities and hand out free samples with a phone number. If someone calls they dispatch a drive to meet them at a prearranged location, usually a parking lot although they will go to the homes of established customers.

They even call their customers and conduct surveys "Was the delivery on time?" - "Was the driver courteous?" Was the product high quality?" If they havent heard from a regular customer in a while they'll call them and offer freebies.

I've always wondered HOW all the painkiller addicts found a heroin source. It's not the whole answer but it's part of the puzzle.

Last edited by Ann Hedonia; 08-17-2017 at 02:13 PM..
Old 08-17-2017, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

I learned today what "doxxing" means.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
I learned today what "doxxing" means.
lol
Old 08-17-2017, 08:25 PM

That George Washington and Kamehameha the First are both enshrined as kami in a Shinto Shrine in Hawaii.

http://www.greenshinto.com/wp/2013/0...aii-revisited/
Old 08-17-2017, 11:03 PM

In the Brothers Grimm fable, The Goose Girl, in which the evil chambermaid takes over the role of the princess, forces the princess to tend geese, and marries the prince, the princess has a faithful horse named Falada, and when the chambermaid-princess has the horse killed, the goose girl manages to have Falada's head hung in an archway, where it continues to talk to her, and is instrumental in her ultimate victory over the chambermaid. I knew all that part, but what I didn't know is that Falada, a name which I loved as a child and saved to be given to my own special horse someday (that didn't happen), means "spoken" in Portuguese and Asturian, a related western Iberian language. Past participle of falar.

This made my day.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:13 PM

And in Galego as well, spoken and co-official in Galicia, the part of Spain that's just north of Portugal.

The Asturian language is called Bable; the dialect of Spanish spoken in Asturias is called Asturiano (academic Spanish) or Asturiaņu (dialectal version). Asturias is in the middle of Spain's northern coast and was one of the starting points for the Reconquista; it is a one-province region which combines some highly industrial and highly technical cities with tiny villages where each house has one cow because they don't have room for more than one; the heir-apparent to the throne of Spain gets three titles of Prince and is usually called Prince of Asturias (Princess in the current edition).

There, more things about Asturias than you ever wanted to know

Last edited by Nava; 08-17-2017 at 11:16 PM..
Old 08-18-2017, 11:26 AM

I learned that California Condors are actually vultures, they were renamed "condors" to escape the deleterious vulture label so people would like them and help save them from extinction.

And it worked.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:38 AM

And I finally realized that the root meaning of "Alpine" is "of the Alps." It's evolved into general usage to indicate certain altitudes/flora ecologies, but its origin is Alp-ish.

Recently I learned something that challenges the received wisdom from my family of deer hunters that herds are always made up of a stag who presides over a family of females and fawns (boys get kicked out of the herd early). The last two weeks a lovely deer herd has been visiting the field behind our house at dusk; all seven of them are bucks -- two of them are even 12-points! The youngest still has velveted antlers.
Old 08-18-2017, 03:34 PM

Guinea pigs can jump. Saw one on Twitter jump a fence as high as its head.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennshark View Post
I learned that California Condors are actually vultures, they were renamed "condors" to escape the deleterious vulture label so people would like them and help save them from extinction.

And it worked.
Oh, this probably explains why whenever I see a picture of one I first think it's a vulture and get surprised it's really a condor...
Old 08-18-2017, 07:59 PM

That in the Momas & the Popas song California Dreamin' they sing, "... and I pretend to pray" instead of "... and I began to pray".
Old 08-18-2017, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Jackson View Post
That in the Momas & the Popas song California Dreamin' they sing, "... and I pretend to pray" instead of "... and I began to pray".
That's interesting. We sang it in chorus when I was a teenager, and I distinctly remember the word being "began".

I didn't know until today that this classic Chicago song was called "Questions 67 & 68".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qupeVLtXWLY
Old 08-19-2017, 05:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olentzero View Post
You confuse the matter, sir. There are two books by Ingersoll Lockwood; the first, "Baron Trump's Marvellous Underground Adventure" is a Munchhausen-style adventure fantasy that has little or nothing to do with politics, and "1900, or the Last President" is a rabid little anti-Populist potboiler that can be summed up as "William Jennings Bryant sucks LOL". It does mention a man named Pence - once.
What a relief. I can quite\ searching the books for words like "stock market" or "crash".