Old 09-19-2017, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
There's an ad for one now called Miracle Hair. Here's a pretty funny review by MikeJ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA13...ature=youtu.be
Jeff Bridges uses an identical product on Beau Bridges in the movie The Fabulous Baker Boys (1989).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097322/

It's even in the trailer! (about 1:25 in)

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...96edc3d184ada5
Old 09-19-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Huh.

I've had mine for a couple of years, with no signs of deterioration. Of course, after each use, I disconnect it from the faucet and store it in an enclosed bin, out of the elements.
The first one had plastic connectors, and one of the connectors broke. The second one developed a bulge in the middle, which burst. I bought a third one (different brand) that had brass connectors, but it started leaking around the connector. I also stored them in a container out of the sun.

I gave up and am using a regular hose that I've had for years. It's heavier and harder to move around, but it delivers a lot more water and lasts a lot longer.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
The thing that's funny about so many of these "As Seen On TV" products is how contrived the ads are showing how hard it is to do the thing that these things are the solution to. Like the pasta pot that has the strainer built in, because it's just so damn difficult to pour a boiling pot of pasta into a colander in your sink. I'm surprised the Slap Chop ad didn't have someone losing a finger trying to use an ordinary knife and cutting board.
The thing about many of these products is that they were invented for use by people who physically can't do those things: people with severe arthritis, missing limbs, brace/wheelchair users, etc.

The problem is that the intended market is so small, it would be impossible for the makers to ever turn a profit just on selling to them, especially if they advertised. So these products need to be marketed in some way to the general public.

In the ads, if they showed the products being used in the way they were originally intended (i.e., by people with disabilities who really need them), the average able-bodied viewer would immediately tune out and dismiss the product as not for them. So the ads have to use an able-bodied model pretending to have the same difficulty completing everyday tasks that disabled people have.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoying Buzz View Post
The thing about many of these products is that they were invented for use by people who physically can't do those things: people with severe arthritis, missing limbs, brace/wheelchair users, etc.

The problem is that the intended market is so small, it would be impossible for the makers to ever turn a profit just on selling to them, especially if they advertised. So these products need to be marketed in some way to the general public.

In the ads, if they showed the products being used in the way they were originally intended (i.e., by people with disabilities who really need them), the average able-bodied viewer would immediately tune out and dismiss the product as not for them. So the ads have to use an able-bodied model pretending to have the same difficulty completing everyday tasks that disabled people have.
Cite? I've seen glurge on facebook to this effect. I've yet to see any evidence for it, and the only evidence I've seen went against it. The Snuggie creator said he invented it in college when he cut a hole in his sleeping bag so he could use the remote control, for example. I don't buy it. If the intended market were "too small", they just wouldn't make the things in the first place.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:35 PM

My favorite at the moment is an ad that is all about this great product that lets you stick it to those greedy cable and satellite companies by getting TV for free. Because FEDERAL LAW MANDATES broadcast channels become available over the air. Their product is so good that if you happen to have a TV on your boat and go offshore, you can still watch TV!

Yeah, they're advertising a digital antenna. I mean, as far as I know the product works, but the whole spiel implying that it's a new idea is just amazing.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzeiger View Post
My favorite at the moment is an ad that is all about this great product that lets you stick it to those greedy cable and satellite companies by getting TV for free. Because FEDERAL LAW MANDATES broadcast channels become available over the air. Their product is so good that if you happen to have a TV on your boat and go offshore, you can still watch TV!

Yeah, they're advertising a digital antenna. I mean, as far as I know the product works, but the whole spiel implying that it's a new idea is just amazing.
Is that the one that comes with an app that connects the antenna to your wifi?
Old 09-20-2017, 10:03 PM

I am surprised this thread got so much traction, sweet. If only there was some method of keeping score lol.

I actually bought one of those digital antennas, it was on sale at Menards for like $2. They actually work really well, despite the fact that they are trying to reinvent it as a new technology.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Is that the one that comes with an app that connects the antenna to your wifi?
No, no wifi. It's just a flat indoor antenna that screws into your TV's coax connector. It's no better than a cheap pair of rabbit ears you can pick up at Wal-Mart. They just hype the shit out of the fact that you can pick up TV over the air just like people have been doing for the past 70 years.

Clear TV
Old 09-20-2017, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomalous1 View Post
I am surprised this thread got so much traction, sweet. If only there was some method of keeping score lol.

I actually bought one of those digital antennas, it was on sale at Menards for like $2. They actually work really well, despite the fact that they are trying to reinvent it as a new technology.
They market them as "digital," but there's nothing special about them. It's the same antenna people were using for analog broadcasts.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzeiger View Post
And there is the darkened silhouette and disguised voice of a TV industry insider telling this, as if the existence of broadcast television is a closely-held secret that he could be whacked for revealing.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by friedo View Post
Here are some excellent infomercial product reviews by funny puppets.

Shamwow and SlapChop
Rollie.

I agree with their conclusions.
"I don't want to be this close to it." Snerk.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

I thought of another one - this is going back a ways, but it's the Listen Up, the personal hearing device. Watch TV without bothering your partner, listen to birds chirping on your nature walk, eavesdrop on neighbors across the street and see if they're talking about you, etc. My favorite part in the commercial is when a guy at a football game acts like he can actually hear what they're saying in the huddle.

Of course they do not mention how this things zeroes in on specific sounds and cancels out others instead of just blasting you deaf.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
For some reason these crossed my mind just a few weeks ago and I googled to see if they were still being made. I remember one of them in my house during my childhood (but I don't remember if I or anyone else tried to use it in that time.) They have been on the market for 45 years and (I think) have cost $19.95 the whole time. (Which means that it cost the equivalent of over $100 in 1972.)
The new ones are cheap, Chinese knockoffs. I have an original that still works pretty good.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:55 PM

Maybe not an As-Seen-On-TV item, but allow me to present Pizza Scizzors.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo View Post
I thought of another one - this is going back a ways, but it's the Listen Up, the personal hearing device. Watch TV without bothering your partner, listen to birds chirping on your nature walk, eavesdrop on neighbors across the street and see if they're talking about you, etc. My favorite part in the commercial is when a guy at a football game acts like he can actually hear what they're saying in the huddle.

Of course they do not mention how this things zeroes in on specific sounds and cancels out others instead of just blasting you deaf.
Then there's the Lee Majors Bionic Ear.

What, Lindsay Wagner wasn't available?
Old 09-23-2017, 12:01 AM

Hers malfunctioned and made funny noises. In an ep I saw, anyways
Old 09-23-2017, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projammer View Post
They're just modified food shears.

One of the most popular local pizza places in my area cuts their pizza with scissors.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

She had scruples.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

That's strange. The Six Million Dollar Man didn't have a bionic ear.

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 09-23-2017 at 07:38 AM.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
She had scruples.
She was also cute, so the gummint wasn't trying to make her pay off the six million dollars, they way they did Lee. Long and short of it, she could afford scruples.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:10 PM

Those laundry balls. Never use laundry soap again!

Like the magic thaw things, a complete scam.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:16 PM
"Superstar"

Quote:

Because he didn't have a bionic ear, so he needed that one!
Old 09-23-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anny Middon View Post
Don't remember the name of the product, but years ago there was an infomercial for spray-on hair. The idea was that you used the gunk in the aerosol can to fill in any bald spots on your head.

IIRC they had an audience full of balding men and went around and sprayed this stuff on them and everyone oohed and aahed.

I cannot imagine how this would fool anyone who saw you from several feet away, let alone someone close to you. And what happened if you got caught in the rain?
I work with a guy who uses spray-on hair. It's so very obvious... especially because he only uses it in the front and leaves his bald spot in the back. You can tell he holds a piece of paper or something up in front of his face and sprays because he always has a perfectly straight hairline.

About the thing that helps you put your socks on, my very pregnant boss only half-jokingly said she wanted one of those after she got to the point in her pregnancy where she couldn't see her feet anymore. So I could see it being useful there too.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell View Post
We got the spray-on hair for my brother's 40th birthday party. Believe me, it wouldn't fool anyone within a 30-foot radius. And, yeah, it started running down his forehead when he started sweating. Funny as could be.
This is paint, Frank.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projammer View Post
Actually, the pizzeria we went to back in the 1960s used giant scissors instead of a Pizza Cutter or a big knife to slice up their pizza.

They're still around. And still using the scissors.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
I found the original Ginsu Knife commercial is hilarious -- it opens with a guy breaking a couple of boards:
On the other hand, I use my Ginsu knife almost daily. Rated best buy by Consumer Reports 2011-2015. The commercials are hilarious but the product actually works.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
My wife picked up a "Slap Chop" at a yard sale or something for a buck. In theory, actually not the worst idea ever. In practice, a complete disaster. First off, the thing's barely big enough to fit a crabapple, which means if you want to chop up anything larger than that you still need to break out the knife and cutting board to cut things down small enough to fit in the thing. Secondly, the "blades" are about as sharp as cookie cutters, and cut an onion just as well horribly as you would expect. Third, even if the blades cut well, the pieces it cuts are totally uneven. It's not a chopper, it's a pulverizer. Completely useless.
And nothing new. My grandmother's kitchen had a unit like that as far back as I can remember.

But hers was big enough to hold some quantity, and sharp. The random sizing I grant, but it did well for mincing and chopping, just not cubing.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanicbird View Post
The 'Liquid rubber in a Can' stuff. Never used it, I just see it that it could work in very limited circumstances, be temporary in many more (requiring now removing this stuff to either reapply it or fix it right, and just not work at all for most and now you have to deal with this stuff too to fix it.
I bought some - at the building supply, not from a TV ad - and it worked passably for my purpose. Although what I really wanted was the plastic coating similar stuff.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnoitall View Post
There are legit ones. They don't necessarily replace a knife; they replace a food processor for coarse and mince chopping work. (A food processor doesn't necessarily replace a knife either, since you can get good chop or mince out of the skilled use of a knife; but not every one is so skilled, and it takes more effort to corral what you're chopping by hand than having it constrained by the chopper.)

Example of a decent food chopper.
Yes. That's the updated version of what Nana had.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Man Half Wit View Post
Has anybody ever tried to use a Flowbee (and lived to tell the tale)? I dunno, but something about 'stick my hair down the vacuum cleaner' doesn't sit right with me... But then again, maybe it's awesome!

And does anybody else think that ShamWow-guy looks like a leprechaun?
Flowbee doesn't work well. The Robocut (original, I think) works pretty well.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

For those who missed running coach's reference, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scruples_(miniseries)

Anyone ever tried those silicone lint rollers? My local stores carry half a dozen different brands of the sticky-tape rollers, but none of the silicone, which leads me to suspect that they don't work as well as advertised.
Old 10-05-2017, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLir View Post
Flowbee doesn't work well. The Robocut (original, I think) works pretty well.
Doesn't Rand Paul cut his own hair with a Flowbee? Or is that one of those stories so good it ought to be true even though it isn't?
Old 10-05-2017, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbh View Post
For those who missed running coach's reference, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scruples_(miniseries)

Actually, I never heard of the series. I was making a straight comment, shocking as that might be.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:44 PM

The Flowbee definitely sucks.
Old 10-07-2017, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruvqan View Post
I got a couple for Christmas, I use them as sleep bras when Fred, Ethyl and Ricky act up [yes, I did name my breast cysts, doesn't everyone? Still waiting to get a second one on the right side so I can name it Lucy ]
breast cysts?? And, they're actually named?? Does green stuff ooze out of them?

The bamboo bra- didn't buy, but I'm baffled as to why anyone would. They're ugly. Very unfeminine- for one, they're beige. Beige bras? Come on, guys!

they make women's bosoms look like deflated pillows. You can get a nice inexpensive bra at Ross Dress for Less that for maybe what, nine, maybe less dollars?
Old 10-07-2017, 05:42 AM
Charter Member

Maybe I'm just weird, but I'm more inclined to buy a bra because it's comfortable and provides support than because it looks "feminine". But then, I've been described as ruthlessly practical. That, and my late spouse was more into naked ladies than fancy lingerie.

Think most of my bras have been beige.
Old 10-07-2017, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogqueen View Post
breast cysts?? And, they're actually named?? Does green stuff ooze out of them?

The bamboo bra- didn't buy, but I'm baffled as to why anyone would. They're ugly. Very unfeminine- for one, they're beige. Beige bras? Come on, guys!

they make women's bosoms look like deflated pillows. You can get a nice inexpensive bra at Ross Dress for Less that for maybe what, nine, maybe less dollars?
In many women, cysts are very common - they are hard lumps that may or may not have formed around something [think of a pearl in an oyster, the body 'spins' fiberous tissue around *something* ] and they are long term things, I have had them for various amounts of time, the eldest [Fred] is about 25 years old, the most recent [Lucy] is about 6 years old. Cysts are the little lumps that most women will feel on a self breast exam or show up in mammograms that are deemed harmless [for various values of harmless.]

Nothing wrong with beige bras, if your shirt is slightly see through a black or white one will just POP visually while the beige ones blend in to the generalized skin tone [on me, or most caucasian women] so it is a valid bra color.

Breast 'looks' cycle in and out of fashion ranging from pointy bullets to flat teen boy monoboob. Personal style =)
Old 10-07-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogqueen View Post
You can get a nice inexpensive bra at Ross Dress for Less that for maybe what, nine, maybe less dollars?
Maybe if you're an A or B cup. I've never met a $9 bra that can contend with my ample bosom, though. My boobs laugh in the face...er, cups of cheap bras: "...and you thought that mere lace could contain our greatness. MWAHAHAHAHA!"