Old 05-23-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairobscur View Post
Yes, that's a lot, lot farther. Like it has pretty much nothing to do with it. Call back when they'll show the execution of immigrants on live TV for the enjoyment of the Republican masses.
<ring,ring>Hello, clairobscur? Besides the fact that families are being separated, there is a show of sending soldiers to the border, a show of migrants being teargassed, and people are literally dying in the camps our government has built for them, the idea of gunning them down has become an article of Trump-rally entertainment, see Trump jokes after rally attendee's suggestion to 'shoot' migrants at the border. Sure, that isn't gunning them down on live TV for fun, not yet, but I just wanted to point out that exactly that is part of the GOP dream, and point it out before it becomes a reality.

Sure, maybe I am just getting too alarmed. But at least I had something specific to bring in comparing the GOP to something. I wish people throwing around the Nazi label would bring in a list of specifics for comparison. And then throw out the Nazi comparison, because that is too specific of a thing to fit well IMHO.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
Yes we all read in history class how, once the Holocaust got started, the Jews were simply flooding into Nazi territory.
Go away, stupid cruel person. Most of these people don't know the horrors ICE has prepared for them.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:15 AM

You gotta love it when reactionaries get hysterical over a headline. Read the article, overlook the hyperbolic thread title, ignore exhibits 1 through 13 and what you're left with is one suicidal transsexual who was "harassing other detainees" prior to being put in solitary -and- a reference to 8,400+ "placements of ICE detainees in solitary confinement...for offenses as minor as consensual kissing, and to segregate hunger strikers, LGBTQ detainees, and people with disabilities." Unfortunately, the link to said detainees brings one to a page showing a block graph with no specifics.
Old 05-23-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBckWLD View Post
Unfortunately, the link to said detainees brings one to a page showing a block graph with no specifics.
They do make the raw data available. Also if you scroll to the bottom of the block graph and then back up to the top it bring up a tool that will let the reason for being sent to solitary and the time they spent there.

From the graph, as bad as this treatment is, it doesn't seem to really be a Trump problem so much as a long standing ICE problem. Most of the data predates Trump, and while there might be a data acquisition bias that makes recent cases less likely to make it into the database, as the data stands now there actually appears to be subtantially fewer incidents in 2017 than in the previous years. So it may be that although its still a problem, the recent recognition of solitary confinement as torture is having an effect.

So yeah, I gotta agree that this is a false alarm and allow the Trumpists to get on with their gloating, and new found indignation once they discover they can blame Obama.

Last edited by Buck Godot; 05-23-2019 at 02:04 PM.
Old 05-24-2019, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
Yes we all read in history class how, once the Holocaust got started, the Jews were simply flooding into Nazi territory.
Dolts like you shouldn't try sarcasm unassisted, but I think your whinge is that queers who walk into a place where queers are tortured have only themselves to blame. Get a friend with a 95+ IQ, if you have one, to help find out whether the gays knew in advance they'd be tortured.

We have a "Nominations for Stupidest Doper" thread; can someone bump it please? WillFarnaby has worked hard for the title; let's make it official.
Old 05-24-2019, 05:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by racepug View Post
Who said I was joking? If I had the power, that's what I would do. And I wouldn't regret it for even one millisecond. Why not? Because those lizard brains are making everything worse for each and every one of us (even if THEY don't understand that in the least). It's called "addition by subtraction," see?
Wouldn't it make more sense, if you had the power to actually send people to the sun, to send the ones causing people to flee their homes and forcing them travel 1000's of miles over dangerous country (full of people who probably should be on the sun ship as well)? Or is it only your fellow countrymen you hate, specifically white people?
Old 05-24-2019, 07:52 AM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Dolts like you shouldn't try sarcasm unassisted, but I think your whinge is that queers who walk into a place where queers are tortured have only themselves to blame. Get a friend with a 95+ IQ, if you have one, to help find out whether the gays knew in advance they'd be tortured.
I am reminded of Ship of Fools, where a Jewish guy who won an iron cross in WWI tells the dwarf, "They would never do anything to me", and the dwarf responds, "You're the most German person I ever met."
Old 05-24-2019, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
We have a "Nominations for Stupidest Doper" thread; can someone bump it please? WillFarnaby has worked hard for the title; let's make it official.
We DO? Linky, please.

ETA: TIA
Old 05-24-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Quote:
We DO? Linky, please.

ETA: TIA
I misremembered. We do have these two threads:
* "Silver lining wins by acclamation! (So who is the SECOND most stupid Doper?)"
* "Best Bot Posting at SDMB: Nomination Thread"
but with Mr. Lining fallen by the wayside, the first thread would need a title change. As for the 2nd, I think we can rule out Farnaby's being a bot: his posts would be more intelligible if he were.
Don't take offense, WillFarnaby, but you don't seem interesting enough for me to start a new Pit thread. But if you have the self-awareness to Pit yourself, I'll try to participate.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:55 AM

This MSNBC story says this went as far back as the Obama administration. Way to spin it OP into Republicans = Nazis childish bullshit.
Old 05-25-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzi View Post
Wouldn't it make more sense, if you had the power to actually send people to the sun, to send the ones causing people to flee their homes and forcing them travel 1000's of miles over dangerous country (full of people who probably should be on the sun ship as well)? Or is it only your fellow countrymen you hate, specifically white people?
Nah. Only the ones who voted for Lid'l' Donny for Prez and who still think he's doing a GREAT job. I honestly don't see what good there is in having them stick around.
Old 05-25-2019, 10:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Nah. Only the ones who voted for Lid'l' Donny for Prez and who still think he's doing a GREAT job. I honestly don't see what good there is in having them stick around.
Kind of like Jews , huh?

Sent from my SM-N910U using Tapatalk
Old 05-26-2019, 12:09 PM

Speaking of Jews, and Nazi Germany...
"A German government official has advised Jewish people to avoid wearing yarmulkes in parts of the country amid rising incidents of anti-Semitism."
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/g...ising-n1010381

An idea like the above must certainly be accompanied by Mr. Louis Armstrong:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWzrABouyeE
Old 05-26-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Kind of like Jews , huh?

Sent from my SM-N910U using Tapatalk
Not the same thing at all. Jews were persecuted, why? I'd rid this country of the vermin who are MAGA hat-wearers and Trump {jock} supporters precisely because they're making things worse for all of us (even if they don't understand that in the least). That's a concrete "thing" that I could go after them for. What "concrete" thing were Jews persecuted for?
Old 05-26-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Because if we got rid of them, then we'd all have to find someone else to hate.
Old 05-26-2019, 08:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Not the same thing at all. Jews were persecuted, why? I'd rid this country of the vermin who are MAGA hat-wearers and Trump {jock} supporters precisely because they're making things worse for all of us (even if they don't understand that in the least). That's a concrete "thing" that I could go after them for. What "concrete" thing were Jews persecuted for?
Jews were considered vermin by people who thought they made things worse for everyone.
You're opinion is the same argument MAGA types make. The country would be better off without certain types of people.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Jews were considered vermin by people who thought they made things worse for everyone.
You're opinion is the same argument MAGA types make. The country would be better off without certain types of people.
It's a tiny bit different. The MAGAs need only change their behaviour by becoming slightly more empathetic and knowledgeable, while the Nazi view was that Jews were irredeemable.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
It's a tiny bit different. The MAGAs need only change their behaviour by becoming slightly more empathetic and knowledgeable, while the Nazi view was that Jews were irredeemable.
There is a non-insignificant number of MAGAs who think Jews and immigrants are irredeemable. Many more are knowingly complicit. Including some elected GOP officials. Do you think it is due to a lack of knowledge?
Old 05-29-2019, 09:03 AM

Well, I was talking about how sane people should treat MAGAs i.e. not the same way Nazis treated Jews. If there are MAGAs who are actually indistinguishable from Nazis, then giving them the ol' sunny-side-up treatment is tempting, I admit, but only for the few real hardcore types. The majority are just jerks.

Last edited by Bryan Ekers; 05-29-2019 at 09:05 AM.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Well, I was talking about how sane people should treat MAGAs i.e. not the same way Nazis treated Jews. If there are MAGAs who are actually indistinguishable from Nazis, then giving them the ol' sunny-side-up treatment is tempting, I admit, but only for the few real hardcore types. The majority are just jerks.
I do not advocate for violent treatment of MAGAs.

But I also don't advocate for treating them with kid gloves for fear of offending their delicate sensibilities. It's often argued that calling them "stupid" only serves to cement their positions. That may be true for some MAGAs, maybe even the majority of them. But I don't believe for a second that they came by their convictions by some unfortunate accident. They have choices. Opportunities to make better decisions about right and wrong. Decisions that involve not being hateful bigots or actively & tacitly aligning themselves with those who advocate for bigotry, racism and ignorance. Every single day offers them an opportunity to speak out against that kind of thing. But do they? In light of all the hate, bigotry, lies and ignorance that emanates from this administration and the GOP, are the numbers of MAGAs declining in any meaningful sense? No. They are not.

So what compelling reason is there to treat them as anything but stupid, if not outright evil? Some would say that casting them in that light serves to dehumanize them, which makes progressives no better than Nazis. Does it though? Does criticizing and insulting those who advocate and vote for hateful policies make one a Nazi? MAGA apologists would like you to think so. Don't let them get away with it.
Old 05-29-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Isn’t the famous quote about the Deplorables that “they are irredeemable”?
Old 05-29-2019, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
You just put a coat of lipstick on the "IF YOU DON'T TOLERATE MY INTOLERANCE THEN YOU'RE THE ONE WHO'S INTOLERANT, LOLOLOL" canard.

Let people do their own thing, as long as it's not hurting anyone. If it looks like someone's hurting others, investigate. If they actually factually are, then they suck and should be stopped. If they actually factually are not, then the person who claimed they are sucks.

And if you can't see the actual factual difference between Jews living in Berlin in 1939, and Republicans voting to end abortions and supporting keeping immigrant children in desert camps in 2019, then you're pretty ridiculous. It's not enough to say, "YEAH BUT THEY THINK YOU'RE BAD TOO!" Look at the fucking facts.