Old 01-24-2019, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimstu View Post
Well, ISTM that an important first step is recognizing that the problem exists. Once people realize that something that they take for granted as "fine" and "no big deal" is actually causing a problem, they are more likely to voluntarily change their behavior (see also: increased handwashing in restrooms when people learn that unwashed hands spread more germs).

People getting into the habit of mentally asking themselves "Am I seeing this behavior as 'bossy' or 'bitchy' from a woman when I'd just consider it 'strong leadership' from a man?" may not spontaneously solve the whole problem, but it will certainly make solving it easier in the long run.
Sounds about right. I think most people generally want to do the right thing. There's always some more stubborn people, and some that will never change, but I guess if a major portion help out then the rest will confirm or at least eventually retire.
Old 01-30-2019, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimstu View Post
Well, ISTM that an important first step is recognizing that the problem exists. Once people realize that something that they take for granted as "fine" and "no big deal" is actually causing a problem, they are more likely to voluntarily change their behavior (see also: increased handwashing in restrooms when people learn that unwashed hands spread more germs).

People getting into the habit of mentally asking themselves "Am I seeing this behavior as 'bossy' or 'bitchy' from a woman when I'd just consider it 'strong leadership' from a man?" may not spontaneously solve the whole problem, but it will certainly make solving it easier in the long run.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littleman View Post
Sounds about right. I think most people generally want to do the right thing. There's always some more stubborn people, and some that will never change, but I guess if a major portion help out then the rest will confirm or at least eventually retire.
This is sadly ineffectual. Most guys will refuse to admit that they are sexist. They don't even understand that a lot of what they do in unconscious. Take as one (on many anecdotes) I heard from Mrs Cad's last job. According to him he fully supported women in her field but his first day he bought all the men expensive cigars and would go smoke with them. Never did anything for the women because "women don't like cigars." Also in meetings he would complement the men for being direct and getting things done while criticizing her for being too straight-forward and not diplomatic enough.

SHE is the one that brought up the likeability penalty when she would point out provable lies that men made about her and his response was that she obviously did something to make them want to lies about her so she needed to make up to them.

But of course he was supportive of women in the workplace. Just ask him.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:01 PM

Haven't read the thread but here's one example: of the 343 New York City Fire Department (FDNY) firefighters who were killed on 9/11, all 343 were men:

http://nyfd.com/9_11_wtc.html
Old 02-18-2019, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreal View Post
Haven't read the thread but here's one example: of the 343 New York City Fire Department (FDNY) firefighters who were killed on 9/11, all 343 were men:

http://nyfd.com/9_11_wtc.html
What's your point?