Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-30-2004, 11:27 PM
Mr. Blue Sky Mr. Blue Sky is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Up there, waiting
Posts: 17,203
Fastest. Bootlegging. Attempt. Ever.

CNN story


Should be interesting to see how that new anti-piracy law is gonna work.
  #2  
Old 07-01-2004, 12:22 AM
SPOOFE SPOOFE is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: SPOOFE
Posts: 12,992
Man, as cameras get smaller and smaller, it's gonna be harder and harder as hell to stop these guys.

In two years, the cameras that they put in cell phones will be capable of recording at 720x480 at 30 fps. What're they gonna do, insist that everyone turn in their cell phones before going in? Actually, that's not such a bad idea...

The inevitability, however, is that cameras will eventually - and a lot sooner than you think - be able to be squozen into something the size of a pen cap, with similar quality of camcorders today.

I guess they'll either have to, A: require that everyone be stripped naked and strapped down for the duration of the movie, or B:... y'know, I can't even think of a B:.
  #3  
Old 07-01-2004, 12:52 AM
LordVor LordVor is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: in a square room
Posts: 1,621
I would think that they can play with the frame rate of the movie enough to mess up any recording taking place at 30 frames/second...you know, like if you see a computer monitor on TV. But still, it's only a matter of time.
  #4  
Old 07-01-2004, 01:59 AM
Miller Miller is online now
Sith Mod
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Bear Flag Republic
Posts: 42,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPOOFE
I guess they'll either have to, A: require that everyone be stripped naked and strapped down for the duration of the movie, or B:... y'know, I can't even think of a B:.
Pass everyone through an EMP field before entering the theater?

We can save the stripped naked option for people with pacemakers.
  #5  
Old 07-01-2004, 02:29 AM
Askia Askia is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 7,155
Seriously, if I were a bootlegger, the first thing I'd do is acquire some inside help in the theaters, making the projectionist a key accomplice. These people CAN'T be making that much money. What's a cut of $500 for whistleblowing some pimply faced kid with a camcorder compared to the extra thousands you could get making streetcorner bootlegs of first run movies?

What's to stop an enterprising thief from waiting until after-hours, running up to the projection booth and recording a pristine copy of the film in the dead of night, then sneaking out with the copy when the theater opens up the following day?
  #6  
Old 07-01-2004, 02:40 AM
SPOOFE SPOOFE is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: SPOOFE
Posts: 12,992
Quote:
Seriously, if I were a bootlegger, the first thing I'd do is acquire some inside help in the theaters, making the projectionist a key accomplice.
That's typically the easiest way to get caught.
  #7  
Old 07-01-2004, 03:17 AM
BlackKnight BlackKnight is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Shadow of the Statue
Posts: 4,337
This isn't really the fastest bootlegging attempt ever.

Some movies have been available online before they even reach the theatre.

Aside from movies, TV programs are also sometimes pirated before they reach the (small) screen. The first four episodes of the fourth season of "The Sopranos" were available online about a week before they aired.

Don't ask me how this happens; I don't know. Apparantly there are people on the inside of things that don't mind breaking the law for fun or profit.
  #8  
Old 07-01-2004, 03:28 AM
betenoir betenoir is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: 3000 miles from home
Posts: 6,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPOOFE
A: require that everyone be stripped naked and strapped down for the duration of the movie.

Well they've been looking for ways to justifiy those high admission prices .
  #9  
Old 07-01-2004, 03:28 AM
Evil Death Evil Death is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland
Posts: 1,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Blue Sky
CNN story


Should be interesting to see how that new anti-piracy law is gonna work.
Bearing in mind that Spider-Man 2 bootlegs were up for download before noon GMT yesterday, my answer has to be "Not very well, if at all".
  #10  
Old 07-01-2004, 06:04 AM
Askia Askia is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 7,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPOOFE
That's typically the easiest way to get caught.
Bah! I reject your assertion as being too obvious to be reasonable.
  #11  
Old 07-01-2004, 07:28 AM
Evil Captor Evil Captor is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Lair
Posts: 20,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPOOFE
I guess they'll either have to, A: require that everyone be stripped naked and strapped down for the duration of the movie, or B:... y'know, I can't even think of a B:.
I like option A, but only for female moviegoers, because ... because ... I can't come up with a LOGICAL reason, but do we really need one?
  #12  
Old 07-01-2004, 08:13 AM
Casey1505 Casey1505 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Scranton PA
Posts: 6,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller
We can save the stripped naked option for people with pacemakers.
Why would you do that to an innocent Theater Security Kid?
  #13  
Old 07-01-2004, 09:27 AM
jk1245 jk1245 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 2,114
OK, maybe a dumb questions, but it seems like a film that is filmed by a camcorder in a crowded theater would be crap quality. Anyone ever seen a bootlegged movie (that you of course had nothing to do with and were shocked that your acquaintances were watching )?

I can see a big market for copied DVDs, but how many people are willing to pay big bucks for lousy copies of films, first-run or not?
  #14  
Old 07-01-2004, 09:42 AM
SmackFu SmackFu is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Naugatuck, CT
Posts: 6,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk1245
Anyone ever seen a bootlegged movie (that you of course had nothing to do with and were shocked that your acquaintances were watching )?
Recent thread on the subject.

And it's not big bucks. $5 or $10 on the streets of NY, and traded for free online. So even if it's crap quality, what are you out?
  #15  
Old 07-01-2004, 10:45 AM
Max Carnage Max Carnage is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Dumpsville. Pop. :You
Posts: 3,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPOOFE
Man, as cameras get smaller and smaller, it's gonna be harder and harder as hell to stop these guys.

In two years, the cameras that they put in cell phones will be capable of recording at 720x480 at 30 fps. What're they gonna do, insist that everyone turn in their cell phones before going in? Actually, that's not such a bad idea...

Yep.

At the sneak peek of Dodgeball I attended a couple of weeks ago, they were doing security checks with a handheld metal detector, looking for video cameras, and preventing people from bringing cell phones with cameras into the theater.

You know, I'd be willing to pay an extra 50 cents a show if they had a cell phone/non-cell phone theater.
  #16  
Old 07-01-2004, 11:01 AM
hajario hajario is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Santa Barbara, California
Posts: 15,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKnight
The first four episodes of the fourth season of "The Sopranos" were available online about a week before they aired.

Don't ask me how this happens; I don't know.
Typically, the first four episodes of any HBO series are given to reviewers before the season airs. No doubt some newspaper TV critic gave his away.

Haj
  #17  
Old 07-01-2004, 11:26 AM
Munch Munch is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 21,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmackFu
Recent thread on the subject.

And it's not big bucks. $5 or $10 on the streets of NY, and traded for free online. So even if it's crap quality, what are you out?
Two hours of watching a crap quality movie.
  #18  
Old 07-01-2004, 12:45 PM
Severian Severian is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordVor
I would think that they can play with the frame rate of the movie enough to mess up any recording taking place at 30 frames/second...you know, like if you see a computer monitor on TV. But still, it's only a matter of time.
Already in the works.
  #19  
Old 07-01-2004, 02:28 PM
gotpasswords gotpasswords is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: San Francisco area
Posts: 16,102
I can't imagine that the video quality's very good as movies run at 24 frames/second, and video is 30 frames/second. I'd expect a lot of flicker.
  #20  
Old 07-01-2004, 03:16 PM
KGS KGS is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Porn Capital USA
Posts: 4,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk1245
Anyone ever seen a bootlegged movie (that you of course had nothing to do with and were shocked that your acquaintances were watching )?
I saw Star Wars II: Attack of the Clones on bootleg VCD only a day or two after it came out in theaters. The quality was crap, especially the sound which kept dropping out. There was no audience noise, so I suspect the projectionist filmed it himself during a test screening (which is how most of these bootlegs get made, btw.)

Quote:
I can see a big market for copied DVDs, but how many people are willing to pay big bucks for lousy copies of films, first-run or not?
Well, the advantage would be being able to watch the film again and again without paying $10 a shot. People who buy them off a street corner are idiots, though, when you can download them off the 'Net for free. Remember, real bootleggers always trade. Only pirates sell.
  #21  
Old 07-01-2004, 07:44 PM
gyt_fx gyt_fx is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Washington
Posts: 252
I have seen some bootlegged videos in my day... from an unknown source.

Sometimes you can get DVD rips, which are just rips of the sample DVD, or sometimes you can get very high quality bootlegged videos with a camera. But most of the time, the sound is crappy, the whole movie does not fit on the screen (because the movie screen is a different size than the video camera prolly), and lighting of the movie can be fairly bad, unless the bootlegger fixed it with contrast and such.

The reason my friend.. err.. the unknown source, downloads these bootlegged films, is because It costs so much to go see the damn things, and he... or she, doesn't have money to go see Every movie that he wants. So he.. goes and sees movies that he has been wanting to see and supports, like.. I think he's going to go see Spiderman 2.
  #22  
Old 07-02-2004, 08:43 AM
Atrael Atrael is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Va
Posts: 2,187
Quote:
The reason my friend.. err.. the unknown source, downloads these bootlegged films, is because It costs so much to go see the damn things, and he... or she, doesn't have money to go see Every movie that he wants. So he.. goes and sees movies that he has been wanting to see and supports, like.. I think he's going to go see Spiderman 2.
But this friend has money for not just an internet connection at home, but a high speed one at that? Uh-huh.....seems to me like you can pony up $10 once a month or so, and see it. Or, wait a few months, until it gets to some of the budget movie houses.

Having seen a few minutes of a downloaded bootleg movie before (Charlies Angels), I can say that I really don't see the point at all. If you make the window large enough to really see the damn thing, then the resolution is so crappy as to make it unwatchable. I think I watched about 2 minutes before I stopped, deleted the damn thing, and just went and bought the DVD from the store.

As a former downloader of TV shows, I'm not going to plead innocent to the lure of dowloading free stuff. But now that studio's, and networks are getting smarter, and releasing tv series onto DVD in a somewhat more timely manner, I don't even bother with that anymore. In fact, for every show I downloaded, I went out and bought the DVD box set, I'd rather have a much higher quality item, that I can watch on my TV, than something I have to boot up my laptop to watch.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2017 Sun-Times Media, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017