Old 10-11-2019, 05:02 PM
Charter Member

Letís discuss our political volunteering

So, whoís grabbing a clipboard or their phone? Hereís a thread to discuss what weíre doing in this election cycle.

Tomorrow, I start getting ballot access signatures for Pete Buttigieg. Iíll also be doing some phone banking after this weekend.
Old 10-12-2019, 12:57 PM

I'll probably do somewhat the same as I did in 2016 -- nothing for the primaries, but work for the general election. This time I'll do more phonebanking -- my knees have gotten bad enough that I can't really do door-to-door canvassing. I'm sure I'll do some postcard work for races in other states, too.

If anyone here is interested in volunteering, but not committed enough to one candidate to want to work for that person, may I suggest signing up to be a pollwatcher? And although it's not volunteer work, being an election judge pays so little it might as well be -- and most areas need election judges.
Old 10-12-2019, 04:37 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

I live in Indiana, which isn't a swing state. It will either go red, or in the rare case it goes blue that means the entire race was a gigantic rout.

I may travel to ohio to do door to door canvassing, or maybe do some volunteer work for house races in the state.
Old 10-12-2019, 07:12 PM
Charter Member

What are ballot access signatures?
Old 10-12-2019, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

I'll be doing it through my NEA local--interviewing local candidates for the possibility of endorsement, and then organizing teachers to pass out "apple cards" with our endorsements at polling sites, and doing that myself.
Old 10-13-2019, 01:27 PM

Politics are local. The important stuff, anyway. Definitely the stuff that you can have an impact upon.

I will be working with the city council woman that I helped get elected last time around for her re-election. If it comes up, I will endorse other democratic candidates, but my focus is her keeping her seat against the guy she won it against last time who is running again.

IMHO, it's more important to build up local politicians and develop a ground game and talent for working towards higher office. One of the problems that I've seen is that the democrats don't have any really eligible up and comers to national offices. People look to the presidency like it's a golden ring, and the US legislature as though it is the only thing that matters.

We have restrictive reproductive rights measures being proposed in state houses across the country. Ohio has proposed one that nearly rivals Alabama's in the stripping of rights from a woman. We need to fill up these lower offices before we can really start concentrating on the national stuff.
Old 10-13-2019, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Piper View Post
What are ballot access signatures?
In Illinois a candidate needs 5000 signatures to get on the primary ballot. Anyone can sign who is an Illinois registered voter. This year should be easier since there is no competitive Republican primary. I can sign for as many Democratic candidates as I want but I canít sign for any Republicans or theyíre all invalid.
Old 10-13-2019, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
Politics are local. The important stuff, anyway. Definitely the stuff that you can have an impact upon.

I will be working with the city council woman that I helped get elected last time around for her re-election. If it comes up, I will endorse other democratic candidates, but my focus is her keeping her seat against the guy she won it against last time who is running again.

IMHO, it's more important to build up local politicians and develop a ground game and talent for working towards higher office. One of the problems that I've seen is that the democrats don't have any really eligible up and comers to national offices. People look to the presidency like it's a golden ring, and the US legislature as though it is the only thing that matters.

We have restrictive reproductive rights measures being proposed in state houses across the country. Ohio has proposed one that nearly rivals Alabama's in the stripping of rights from a woman. We need to fill up these lower offices before we can really start concentrating on the national stuff.
And thatís admirable, everyone is in a different situation. My state rep and senator are two of the most powerful members of the Illinois state assembly and will be re-elected easily. Same with Dick Durbin to the US Senate who will only face some Republican sacrificial lamb. We had Mayoral and aldermen elections back in February. So, Iím free to focus on the presidential race here.
Old 10-13-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
I'll be doing it through my NEA local--interviewing local candidates for the possibility of endorsement, and then organizing teachers to pass out "apple cards" with our endorsements at polling sites, and doing that myself.
In which state do you live? I ask because in Illinois we have strict rules about "electioneering" that prohibit handing out endorsement materials (among other activities -- wearing visible attire that supports a candidate, for example, is also not allowed) within a certain distance (I think 50 feet) of the polling place.
Old 10-13-2019, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anny Middon View Post
In which state do you live? I ask because in Illinois we have strict rules about "electioneering" that prohibit handing out endorsement materials (among other activities -- wearing visible attire that supports a candidate, for example, is also not allowed) within a certain distance (I think 50 feet) of the polling place.
We have that in Ohio as well, except I can't find a specific reference to the number of feet. We have flags that we put up, and you cannot do any electioneering between the flags and the polling place, nor within 10 feet of the line if it extends outside of the flagged area.
Old 10-13-2019, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anny Middon View Post
NC, and yup, we have similar limits. It may be 50 feet, I don't remember.

In 2018 I stood in front of polling spots during early voting and on election night. There was often a crowd of us, passing out Sierra Club and Democrats and NEA materials, as well as Republicans and maybe some religious rightwing group as well. We all knew where the line was and staked out a spot near that line. I didn't really worry too much if someone took a Sierra Club flyer instead of mine, but I tried to make sure people would see something more than the Republican flyer.

I kind of hate doing it, because I kind of hate being harassed when I go to vote. But many people are mid-information voters. They know who they want at the top of the ticket, but they don't know much about local races, or judges, or the like. They're happy to see who's recommended by their local public education advocates. So I had to get over myself and be willing to do it.
Old 10-13-2019, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
NC, and yup, we have similar limits. It may be 50 feet, I don't remember.

In 2018 I stood in front of polling spots during early voting and on election night. There was often a crowd of us, passing out Sierra Club and Democrats and NEA materials, as well as Republicans and maybe some religious rightwing group as well. We all knew where the line was and staked out a spot near that line. I didn't really worry too much if someone took a Sierra Club flyer instead of mine, but I tried to make sure people would see something more than the Republican flyer.

I kind of hate doing it, because I kind of hate being harassed when I go to vote. But many people are mid-information voters. They know who they want at the top of the ticket, but they don't know much about local races, or judges, or the like. They're happy to see who's recommended by their local public education advocates. So I had to get over myself and be willing to do it.
Yeah, people neglect the local races. You ask someone who they are voting for, and they will respond with the presidential candidate of their choice. Maybe their US congresscritter as well.

Ask them about state reps, state judges, county officials, or municipal officers, and they just go blank. Judges are even worse, as they generally (in Ohio anyway) do not have a D or an R next to their name, so a low information voter has no idea what they are voting on. Same with school board members and a few other offices that are considered to be non-partisan.

Being out there and helping these individuals make what are actually very important decisions is very necessary task, and while it's probably just as if not more annoying than knocking on a few hundred doors, it is probably even more value.
Old 10-13-2019, 09:15 PM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

I am not permitted to directly volunteer for regulatory purposes.

But I do host phone banks at my home and I instruct canvassers in how to frame the message and improve their communications.
Old 10-13-2019, 10:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
In Illinois a candidate needs 5000 signatures to get on the primary ballot. Anyone can sign who is an Illinois registered voter. This year should be easier since there is no competitive Republican primary. I can sign for as many Democratic candidates as I want but I canít sign for any Republicans or theyíre all invalid.
Thanks for explaining it.
Old 10-14-2019, 04:54 PM

I live in Wyoming. I'll just be sitting around bitching that the Rs will win, ESPECIALLY if they shot someone on 5th Avenue.
Old 10-14-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krondys View Post
I live in Wyoming. I'll just be sitting around bitching that the Rs will win, ESPECIALLY if they shot someone on 5th Avenue.
Go vote in your primaries. If the republicans are sure to win, then vote int eh republican primaries. Vote for the candidates that are most sane.
Old 10-15-2019, 02:19 PM

I've never volunteered for a political campaign before. Is there any group whose sole purpose is ensuring Donald Trump doesn't get re-elected? I don't necessarily care to campaign for any one candidate. I'll switch candidates at any point if it lessens the odds of his re-election. Does something like that exist?
Old 10-15-2019, 04:10 PM

I didn't do much for the primaries, but I phone banked and went door to door in the general. I'll probably get started earlier this time.
Old 10-15-2019, 05:59 PM

I live in Illinois but I'm canvassing for the Democrats just over the border in Wisconsin. Illinois is a blue lock next year, but we gotta have Wisconsin.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
I didn't do much for the primaries, but I phone banked and went door to door in the general. I'll probably get started earlier this time.
How does that work? Do you just cold call people and pitch your candidate? Do you have anything info about whom your calling?
Old 10-16-2019, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidCharlemagne View Post
I've never volunteered for a political campaign before. Is there any group whose sole purpose is ensuring Donald Trump doesn't get re-elected? I don't necessarily care to campaign for any one candidate. I'll switch candidates at any point if it lessens the odds of his re-election. Does something like that exist?
You can work on voter registration. Thereís got to be some potential new voters who were in the ĎNone of the aboveí category in 2016. Also, a lot of Bernie 2016 voters were college students who have graduated and moved states (or at least cities) and need to register in their new area. I think itís safe to say that Trump really hasnít grown his voting base and it skews older and more stable, so I doubt youíll be registering too many new Republicans.
Old 10-16-2019, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
How does that work? Do you just cold call people and pitch your candidate? Do you have anything info about whom your calling?
At least most of my phone banking has been to contact people who have filled out a card or web form asking for more information, that’s the preferred method when you’re working a table at an event, that way you won’t tie up a volunteer for an hour when you’ve only got three hours at a farmers market or something.

Oh, and a lot of it is done by texting now, easier to reach more people and convenient for their schedules.

Last edited by dalej42; 10-16-2019 at 12:53 PM.
Old 10-17-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
I basically went to HRC's and state-level Dems websites and signed up to volunteer for various things. They usually want people for door to door canvassing, but they'll certainly take phone banking if that's what you're comfortable with.

As Dale said, they give you the lists of numbers to call, addresses to visit, and those lists contain the names of people who've contacted them at some point in the past. Be aware that affiliations can change, and people can change addresses LOL! I had a Trump supporter tell me to 'GTFO (his) porch and that Hillary 'oughtta be thrown in fucking jail.'
Old 10-17-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
I basically went to HRC's and state-level Dems websites and signed up to volunteer for various things. They usually want people for door to door canvassing, but they'll certainly take phone banking if that's what you're comfortable with.

As Dale said, they give you the lists of numbers to call, addresses to visit, and those lists contain the names of people who've contacted them at some point in the past. Be aware that affiliations can change, and people can change addresses LOL! I had a Trump supporter tell me to 'GTFO (his) porch and that Hillary 'oughtta be thrown in fucking jail.'
Oh yeah, phone banks are one thing, but you need a thick skin to go door to door.