Old 09-29-2017, 12:34 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Really Not All That Bright View Post
There's a difference between the radiant quests that have you defending settlements (where the baddies come from outside the settlement) and the "Miscellaneous" quests that randomly pop up and tell you to defend a place (where they baddies are already inside).
In both cases, I don't recall seeing them already inside anywhere other than Outpost Zimonja and Hangman's Alley.

ETA: Greygarden as well but that's before surrounding the place with fences and turrets that can fire into the hills.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 09-29-2017 at 12:38 PM.
Advertisements  
Old 09-29-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
In both cases, I don't recall seeing them already inside anywhere other than Outpost Zimonja and Hangman's Alley.

ETA: Greygarden as well but that's before surrounding the place with fences and turrets that can fire into the hills.
Every settlement has fixed spawn points for baddies in defense missions. In every one I can think of, at least some of those spawn points are within the workbench build area of the settlement. It's more obvious in Zimonja and Hangman's because the build areas are so small. Other settlements, you may never try to build something in the vicinity of the spawnpoints, even though you could.

Get the Settlement Management Software mod and mark the spawnpoints and you'll see.

(Or don't because really, that's pretty spoilerish. I already kind of regret the fact that the baddies always spawn under the muzzles of dozens of laser and machinegun turrets, as long as I get there soon enough. Positively anti-climactic, and the spill fire repair bill is still pretty high.)

Last edited by gnoitall; 09-29-2017 at 12:54 PM.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:54 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member

The game is supposed to take settlements' defenses into account and plot attacks along the paths of least resistance. There have been times when I fast traveled to a settlement under attack and found baddies already inside the perimeter with turrets pointing in that direction and/or the generators powering those turrets taken out. Super mutants are good at that.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 09-29-2017 at 12:59 PM.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I've not used it but there is a mod for this. There are also mods that raze settlements like the drive-in to flat ground.
I previously used Spring Cleaning (because, really, someone could and should be cleaning up) and I just now started using this. Too early to rate it vis-a-vis Spring Cleaning.

Decided against Conquest, and War of the Commonwealth is still in 'beta', and I'm no playtester. Still have a few mods to add, but nothing big. Oh, and it wasn't Ellen that I tried, it was Heather, and it was bugged. Now I have to go find Ellen.
Old 09-29-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
I've not used it but there is a mod for this. There are also mods that raze settlements like the drive-in to flat ground.
Alas, PS4 Though I will say that PS4 FO4 is a million times less crashy than any PC Fallout game I've played (all of them) before.
Old 09-29-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Really Not All That Bright View Post
Alas, PS4 Though I will say that PS4 FO4 is a million times less crashy than any PC Fallout game I've played (all of them) before.
I played NV, 3, and 4 in the last year or two and don't recall any of them being crashy unless I was careless with a mod.
Old 09-29-2017, 02:28 PM

They weren't notably crashy relative to other PC games (though on my second and all subsequent playthroughs of FO3 I got stuck because the game would freeze in the elevator in the Washington Monument every time I used it). The point is that the PS4 version is admirably un-crashy.
Old 09-29-2017, 02:39 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member

As I mentioned earlier, there's a mod at Beth.Net which gives settlers better equipment but I cannot recommend it because it also causes some settlers to spawn with power armor. Which makes those settlers buggy and the author evidently likes them that way. I've also stopped using Better Settlers + Leveled Settlers because it's now bundled with a mod that makes all raiders female, which is dumb.
Old 09-29-2017, 04:57 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member

Quote:
From mods that specifically enable settlers to be killed by NPCs. That said, Deidre and Arlen at The Slog are marked unessential and can be killed.

You, however, can kill settlers with splash damage while attacking NPCs.
Oh, and settlers can be killed when moving to a new home. They're fine again once they arrive at the new location.
Old 09-29-2017, 05:17 PM

The original Fallout is free on Steam through noon CST tomorrow (Sept 30th)

(Reposting from the free game thread since it seems directly related to this thread as well)
Old 09-29-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
The original Fallout is free on Steam through noon CST tomorrow (Sept 30th)

(Reposting from the free game thread since it seems directly related to this thread as well)
Sweet.
Old 09-29-2017, 05:24 PM

Actually, it's free until midnight Pacific tomorrow. I just assumed it was noon CST because that's when Steam generally flips its sales.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:36 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnoitall View Post
If you played or are playing a Brotherhood-friendly main quest line and kept Danse alive (or haven't confronted him yet), but you're tired of Elder Maxson being a jerk, there's a mod that resurrects and completes some unfinished quest and script assets to allow you to challenge Maxson and re-integrate Danse into the Brotherhood. As well as elevating YOU to Elder of the Commonwealth Chapter. Pretty spiffy.
Just did this. Nice to be able to have Danse as a companion again without being a Brotherhood enemy.

Might need to use the console command 5de4d.moveto 14 to bring him up to Maxson after initiating the quest. That's what I did.
Old 10-05-2017, 05:31 PM

Hey, since when can you kill Marcy Long?? I haven't played the game in a long while, and recently started a new game. I was ready for Marcy this time. As soon as she was less than friendly, I shot her right in the head, as I have previously done many times- only to see her rise Jesus style. I went off and did the Kellogg thing, and met Virgil, and some other things. When I returned to Sanctuary after many days, she was still a lump in the doorway! I then put her in an abandoned bathtub in the river, and after more days she's still there! My PS4 is rarely connected to the internet, and I don't do the mods thing. Must've been a Kill Marcy patch or something?
Old 10-05-2017, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Hey, since when can you kill Marcy Long?? I haven't played the game in a long while, and recently started a new game. I was ready for Marcy this time. As soon as she was less than friendly, I shot her right in the head, as I have previously done many times- only to see her rise Jesus style. I went off and did the Kellogg thing, and met Virgil, and some other things. When I returned to Sanctuary after many days, she was still a lump in the doorway! I then put her in an abandoned bathtub in the river, and after more days she's still there! My PS4 is rarely connected to the internet, and I don't do the mods thing. Must've been a Kill Marcy patch or something?
Since Patch 1.7 (a year ago), she's been non-essential after completing the quest Sanctuary. If you've set up Sanctuary to Preston's satisfaction (with beds and farms and defenses and all that), you should be able to plug her between the eyes and make it stick. Congratulations!

ETA: Kotaku article discussing the change when it came out.

Last edited by gnoitall; 10-05-2017 at 05:57 PM.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:14 PM

Thanks, gnoitall for that article!
Old 10-05-2017, 07:28 PM

LOL, I havenít played FO4 for awhile and I was wondering, ďWho is Marcy Long?Ē Then I read the article and saw a picture and remembered, thatís the woman in Sanctuary I hate.

I thought it was just me but apparently itís everyone.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:34 AM
Uncharted
Charter Member

I simply avoid the bitch. Easy to do with her assigned to farming and the vast majority of plants being around the big tree. I've not used them but there are mods to make her (and everyone else) shut up.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
I simply avoid the bitch. Easy to do with her assigned to farming and the vast majority of plants being around the big tree. I've not used them but there are mods to make her (and everyone else) shut up.
I assigned her to a "desk job" (added by a mod). She's not wandering around pissing people off, and she's a little out of my usual way in Sanctuary.

And if she does start carping at me, I quicksave and punch her lights out. And then quickload, because apparently the other settlers don't take kindly to that sometimes. And because for all her kvetching, she does a good job at her desk job.
Old 10-07-2017, 01:54 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member

Quote:
I've started a fifth character but have yet to do much with him. Word is that meeting Preston after helping the Nuka-World raiders invade the Commonwealth makes him neutral and initiates Open Season so I'll be playing this new guy as a sociopath, caused by witnessing the murder and kidnapping, but redeems himself by helping the Minutemen. His name? Rocky Rockatansky.
Picked up playing Rocky again and took him to Nuka-World. Just got that ghoul gal's holotape so Oswald won't be so hostile. So far, Rocky has been playing nice with his companions (Piper and Curie) or as nice as they get (Cait) but that's about to go downhill fast. Ada is with him now and, of course, she doesn't care what he does.

Neat thing about taking the name "Rockatansky": his canine companion is "Dog".

Last edited by Skywatcher; 10-07-2017 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:58 AM
Uncharted
Charter Member

Yep. Did the all of the main Nuka-World questline then let Preston and his friends out of the museum. Right after finishing his speech at the Minuteman statue, he's all What the hell, hero? and demands that Rocky get rid of the raiders. Open Season has started.

I had enough of them raiders, anyway. You think supporting Minutemen settlements is inane? Raider settlements are worse! Your work is never done! Mine always started with three. No problem, right? Wrong! More will come! Jamaica Plain was up to 7 last I checked. And they all want beds under a roof. Plus they get attacked by the standard Commonwealth baddies just like any other settlement.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 10-09-2017 at 12:00 PM.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:11 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member

Oh, some advice for anyone wanting to let denizens of Nuka-World into the Commonwealth: if you're using any mods that affect settlement building limits, disable them until you're done with the raiders. Shank the Commonwealth Liaison will think there are no viable targets with those in place.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:18 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member

One more thing: if you're a robot builder, you should at least visit Nuka-World to gain access to gain access to its robot parts. It's the only way to get the Nuka-Cherry Launcher and Quantum Launcher, robotic equivalents of a Fat Man.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:25 AM
Uncharted
Charter Member

Something very weird happened to this save. "Dog" is now "Dogmeat", Calvin has no dialog to buy tools, Curie keeps returning to 81, Sheffield and the Vault-Tec ghoul (presumably Anne as well) cannot be hired.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Something very weird happened to this save. "Dog" is now "Dogmeat", Calvin has no dialog to buy tools, Curie keeps returning to 81, Sheffield and the Vault-Tec ghoul (presumably Anne as well) cannot be hired.
Two possibilities come to mind:
  1. You're not playing the same save game you think you are
  2. The game play has glitched and you'll have to revert to a save point before it happened
I had the latter happen when Somerville Place spontaneously declared independence from the Minutemen (and consequently denied me access to the workbench there). They were literally at 100% happiness and fully stocked with every necessity and comfort of post-apocalyptic life, and WHAM they were just over me.

So I reloaded from before that happened (losing a couple hours' worth of development of my Graygarden Museum of Power Armor) and it hasn't recurred.

Glitch.

I suspect your case is similar, but with different symptoms.

Last edited by gnoitall; 10-12-2017 at 09:46 AM.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:56 AM
Uncharted
Charter Member

Even if I could find a save that has no glitches, it wouldn't be worth going back to. Curie has been returning to 81 for a long time now.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 10-12-2017 at 10:01 AM.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Even if I could find a save that has no glitches, it wouldn't be worth going back to. Curie has been returning to 81 for a long time now.
I hear ya.

That's probably the underlying lesson of playing a Bethesda game: don't get too fond of anything, because you're just one unavoidable glitch from either losing something you want or starting a new game from scratch.

I'd still like to know what happened to my Silver Submachine Gun.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:11 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnoitall View Post
I'd still like to know what happened to my Silver Submachine Gun.
I hope you didn't actually try using it. Even with top-tier upgrades, killing anyone other than that drug peddler goes through too much ammo. One probably needs the Commando perk to make it useful.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 10-12-2017 at 12:12 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
I hope you didn't actually try using it. Even with top-tier upgrades, killing anyone other than that drug peddler goes through too much ammo. One probably needs the Commando perk to make it useful.
Not for very long after getting it. Frankly, at that point, I already had Overseer's Guardian*, rigged out as an a submachine gun equivalent, so the Silver Submachine Gun didn't really have a niche to fill.

It's just that I'm very proud of my collections and it galls me I can't find and display one fairly prominent unique weapon.

*I still have and use Overseer's Guardian, modded differently: light sniper rifle build with .308 receiver, good scope, suppressor, etc. Makes an awesome pick-off weapon for hostile outposts and scouts.