Old 09-07-2017, 07:41 PM

Anybody else here in South Beach?? The evacuation officially started at noon, I think, and I have never had an easier time finding street parking! It is actually kind of nice right now, beautiful weather and empty streets. I live with two roommates, and we won't evacuate until late Friday/super early on Saturday, and even then only across the bridge to the hospital where we are on call as part of the storm team. In the meantime it is packing up essentials and saying likely goodbyes to everything else.

Love
Yams!!
Old 09-07-2017, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkirkman View Post
Going by past results when trying to evacuate Savannah, this is going to totally bork I16 and, to some extent, I95, which will, in turn, back up the people trying to evacuate Florida.
Didn't do I-26 a lot of good today either, evidently. The in-laws were going 5 to 10 mph along that going west - and this is well before the GA evacuations are necessary. Probably a lot of Floridians as well as Georgia residents getting out early.

Last I looked at the NOAA graphic, it seems like it's projected to go a bit further west (on the mainland) than they had originally thought, http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at1.shtml?cone

My colleague in Greenville will be relieved (though he's still close enough to the center to get some trouble), ditto the relatives in Asheville.

I spoke with the co-worker who lives in the Miami area. She didn't sound happy. I couldn't quite follow what she said (her phone connection was crappy) but I think they have a place (or her boyfriend does) on one of the barrier islands, so they're going further inland to stay with family.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Zappa View Post
Last I looked at the NOAA graphic, it seems like it's projected to go a bit further west (on the mainland) than they had originally thought, http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at1.shtml?cone
I'm not sure it's good news. I *think* (from watching previous hurricanes) that it's better to be on the west side of it than on the east side. So if the hurricane was going to pass on the west coast of FL, most FL would be on the east of it and would not bear the brunt of it.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okrahoma View Post
I'm not sure it's good news. I *think* (from watching previous hurricanes) that it's better to be on the west side of it than on the east side. So if the hurricane was going to pass on the west coast of FL, most FL would be on the east of it and would not bear the brunt of it.
Stronger winds on the east side of the tornado seems to be what this guy is saying. So the European model, with the storm further west, is worse. I think. Or maybe if it hugged the coast, the half the storm would be over water, but as it moves west, more of the storm is over land?
Old 09-07-2017, 08:42 PM

Mama Z, I know our governor personally, and hate to defend him, but timing Georgia evacuation is tricky. Thanks to the Atlantic Bight, our coastal areas are usually fairly sheltered. But that means that, usually, large swaths of Florida and/or South Carolina are under evacuation at least 2 days ahead of Georgia''s coast. So our evacuations need to account for a whole lot of extra traffic from 1-2 states, plus the fact that it will probably be a 150-300 mile drive from Savannah or Brunswick before lodging is available.

(And, based on my experience evacuating ahead of Floyd, before Georgia DOT started making all west/north interstates 1-way during emergency? 5-10 mph is bad. But it's an improvement. During Floyd, it took 6 hours to travel about 2/3 across Chatham County Georgia. My husband and I were convoying in 2 vehicles, with 2 kids and pets. I finally hit a road where I could find a convenient bathroom, passed the spouse gesturing that he should follow me, and went and peed about 37 gallons at my mom's house. It was a calculated risk, but either I was going to die of a burst bladder, or my teenage stepson was gonna die of mortification while I pissed in a bottle. During the same event, a colleague spent 27 hours on interstate 16, and finally slept in his van, on the side of the road, with his wife and 2 kids. 5-10 mph sounds awful. But it's truly an improvement.)
Old 09-07-2017, 08:58 PM
Charter Member

Something I hadn't thought about, but Wethernation mentioned in a special report: the National Hurricane Center is located in Miami, and may have to shut down due to the storm. Their headquarters building is rated for 150 mph, with a secure section rated for 250 mph. If they have to shut down, then a site in San Antonio, Texas will take over.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacunae Matata View Post
Mama Z, I know our governor personally, and hate to defend him, but timing Georgia evacuation is tricky. Thanks to the Atlantic Bight, our coastal areas are usually fairly sheltered. But that means that, usually, large swaths of Florida and/or South Carolina are under evacuation at least 2 days ahead of Georgia''s coast. So our evacuations need to account for a whole lot of extra traffic from 1-2 states, plus the fact that it will probably be a 150-300 mile drive from Savannah or Brunswick before lodging is available.

(And, based on my experience evacuating ahead of Floyd, before Georgia DOT started making all west/north interstates 1-way during emergency? 5-10 mph is bad. But it's an improvement. During Floyd, it took 6 hours to travel about 2/3 across Chatham County Georgia. My husband and I were convoying in 2 vehicles, with 2 kids and pets. I finally hit a road where I could find a convenient bathroom, passed the spouse gesturing that he should follow me, and went and peed about 37 gallons at my mom's house. It was a calculated risk, but either I was going to die of a burst bladder, or my teenage stepson was gonna die of mortification while I pissed in a bottle. During the same event, a colleague spent 27 hours on interstate 16, and finally slept in his van, on the side of the road, with his wife and 2 kids. 5-10 mph sounds awful. But it's truly an improvement.)
Yes to all of this! I was able to get out of Dodge before all the long I-16 delays for Floyd, but you are very correct about the Georgia coast. That inward curve of our coast is good for us stormwise, but because we catch all the refugees from Florida and SC, it can give us Georgians nowhere to go.

I am west of I-95, but in Chatham county, where it is "cooler" . I am going to wait until Saturday evening or Sunday morning to see if I am going to bug out to Statesboro now that I see it is tracking somewhat more west. It might actually be worse in Bulloch county than in Chatham in that case. If I see that Irma is chewing the snot out of Florida by late Saturday, I'll go. If it is slowing down and losing steam, I am staying at home.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:03 PM

My youngest cousin just brought my oldest aunt out of cooler spots and at least as far inland as Faulkville. We're still trying to convince everyone to move west, but at least they're all in Effingham, where we can call upon the bitter half's former SO colleagues to help us evacuate a stubborn old broad. I'd feel better if we could convince Aunt Bernice to join us in North Bulloch, though. (I guess the good news is that it doesn't matter whether the house is destroyed, financially. Thanks to mad growth in Pooler, the double lot is probably worth more without the house. And my cousin did grab the big box of family photos when she kidnapped my aunt.)
Old 09-07-2017, 10:20 PM
2012 SDMB NFL Salary Cap Champ
Charter Member

My parents are effectively stuck in the Up Country of South Carolina taking care of some family business. I had hoped they'd be able to head west before the storm, but it looks like they're there for whatever Irma throws at the state. Hopefully it'll be down to a tropical storm or lower by then and they don't get too much rain. I've got other family in the Atlanta and Augusta areas, and I'm not too worried there either. I just have more worries about the possible effects of storms running inland than I used to before Irene devastated Vermont.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:29 PM
2012 SDMB NFL Salary Cap Champ
Charter Member

Figures I forgot the Catskills with Irene. Despite living in upstate NY at the time, the damage in Vermont sticks more in my mind. But it was terrible in the Catskills as well.

Anyway, my parents are staying with my great-uncle. It's been so long since I saw his house, I have no idea how much risk it's in from wind damage or riparian flooding.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:57 PM

Reddit has a great discussion on how Floridians are handling this. In other news, a Texas policeman has been arrested for faking his own death. You know if you wanted to disappear, this would be a great time.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in Qatar View Post
Reddit has a great discussion on how Floridians are handling this. In other news, a Texas policeman has been arrested for faking his own death. You know if you wanted to disappear, this would be a great time.
If it's this story, he "disappeared" in late April.
Quote:

AUSTIN, Texas A Texas police officer has resigned after allegedly trying to fake his own death and fleeing to Mexico.

The Austin American-Statesman and KVUE-TV report that 29-year-old Coleman Martin delivered his resignation letter on Wednesday to the Austin Police Department.

Court documents allege that Martin told his wife that he planned to drown himself. She reported him missing on April 25, and investigators found his abandoned truck near a lake the next day.

A woman later told authorities that she received an email from Martin that said he staged his death and fled to Mexico.

Martin was arrested at the Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport in May. Authorities say he was on a flight returning from Colombia.

Martin faces a misdemeanor charge of causing a false alarm.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:49 PM

Yes. I am just saying we all know there will be a lot of confusion in Florida in a few days for a week or so. This would give a person time to prepare for his own disappearance.
Do you know a child in need?
Old 09-07-2017, 11:52 PM

Good luck to anyone in its path. As a Texan, I can say the effects of Harvey were absolutely brutal and I hope that Irma isn't as bad, although I've read news saying it will be. Good luck regardless.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:57 AM
Charter Member

Since noon yesterday have been out in the field on inspection duty. Beyond the NE corner which got longer time in hurricane conditions, we seem to have come through well for this type of event. Some main transmission lines were affected and vegetation took out a bunch of distribution wire so we still have quite a lot of power outages. Main damages along the lines of crop losses, some landslides. Situation brought to light that some designated shelters were not really up to it and heads shoul roll over that.

My big concern now is my sister's family in Jupiter, FL. She and her husband are care staff at the WPB VA Hospital and could not evac before today. Weighing rapidly diminishing options.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:44 AM
Charter Member

(Gainesville)
Just got the word at work that I can go home whenever I want, and I won't be here Monday either. I still need gas in my car, but there are crazy lines at the few stations that are open.

We'll be spending tomorrow picking up our yard and trying to close up our pole barn (15 chickens, 2 mini horses, 2 goats, and one donkey are going to be riding out the storm in there).

I'll check in here when I get back to work next week. Love you guys, I hope you all stay safe and don't lose anything you can't afford to.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

This morning's 5am track guidance has shifted slightly west. To be sure that's no guarantee of the final outcome. But it gives me an idea:

Assume the eye makes landfall at the bottom of the peninsula and runs up the middle. Instead of the really high winds tearing up either coast, they're mostly going to be confined to the Everglades. The coasts may experience the equivalent of a Cat-1 while the center takes all the Cat-3/4 winds.

You know what that means, don't you: Gatornado!!!! and Snakenado!!! Coming soon to a suburb near you: millions of fugitive reptiles, some falling from the sky.

You heard it here first.

Last edited by LSLGuy; 09-08-2017 at 10:03 AM.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:05 AM

Good news this morning in that Irma is slated to be one category less across the board than what was originally predicted, which means she'll be a 2 when she hits us, instead of a high 3/low 4. That'll take the edge off a bunch.

Couldn't find water anywhere so we loaded up on Gatorade, that is until we found the most unlikely of saviors: Chick-fil-a.

Went there for dinner yesterday and they were selling gallon jugs of water for 2 bucks! Ms. Cups and I bought 2 of them and a little cow that helps out a children's hospital. We named the cow Irma.

Chick-fil-a! Who knew?
Old 09-08-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
Couldn't find water anywhere so we loaded up on Gatorade, that is until we found the most unlikely of saviors: Chick-fil-a.

Went there for dinner yesterday and they were selling gallon jugs of water for 2 bucks! Ms. Cups and I bought 2 of them and a little cow that helps out a children's hospital. We named the cow Irma.
If you need water, fill up your existing bottles you have around the house with tap water. Do you have empty water bottles in recycling? Use those. Tupperware works as well. Zip lock bags can work too. You can fill pots, glasses, mixing bowls, etc with water. There's lots of containers you have around the house that can hold water and it'll cost less than a penny a gallon.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Chick-fil-a! Who knew?
Didn't a couple in Houston get rescued when they ordered take-out from Chik-Fil-A? Or was that Cracker Barrel?
Old 09-08-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Good news this morning in that Irma is slated to be one category less across the board than what was originally predicted, which means she'll be a 2 when she hits us, instead of a high 3/low 4. That'll take the edge off a bunch.

Chick-fil-a! Who knew?
As a business owner, I figure that if I were down in a devastated area, I'd be finding these people who are bringing cases of water in their pickups and trying to sell them for $40 each, and making them an offer for $15 each cash, for the whole load.

Then give it away for free or at regular cost. Good PR, people will remember your name for quite some time.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
Didn't a couple in Houston get rescued when they ordered take-out from Chik-Fil-A? Or was that Cracker Barrel?
There was a story of a guy who ordered a sandwich and a boat, so the manager sent her husband over on a jet ski and picked him up.

TBQH, if I had a jetski, I'd be running around saving people all day down there. It actually sounds like it would be fun to be able to drive your boats through the streets of your neighborhood, and the fact that you are saving lives is an extra bonus.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:40 AM

Faintest of silver linings: the courts are closed, so a hearing I really wasn't looking forward to on Monday is now cancelled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRDelirious View Post
Since noon yesterday have been out in the field on inspection duty. Beyond the NE corner which got longer time in hurricane conditions, we seem to have come through well for this type of event.
Glad you're safe!

Last edited by Really Not All That Bright; 09-08-2017 at 10:40 AM.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:40 AM

I'm nervous but cautiously optimistic that my family will come through the storm ok. My daughter is at University of Tampa but on the 3rd floor of a solid old building and her car is on the 3rd floor of the parking garage. The current track has minimal surge for her area and that Irma will be down to a Cat 2 by the time it reaches them. Classes of course are cancelled. I’ve given her advice about having water ready in any contained she has, she has extra food laid in and knows to keep the curtains shut and if it gets bad to be in the hallway near the stairs. She’ll have a bag packed to grab with her if they do need to evacuate. I’m not sure what else to tell her to do.

My in-laws are further south on the west coast, my FIL will do what he can to be ready and has at least kayaks and I believe a boat in the yard at least. They’ve been through hurricane and Nor-Easters plenty by this time and so far the surge is predicated to be minimal by them. Hopefully he has a safe place for the vehicles.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmore View Post
If you need water, fill up your existing bottles you have around the house with tap water. Do you have empty water bottles in recycling? Use those. Tupperware works as well. Zip lock bags can work too. You can fill pots, glasses, mixing bowls, etc with water. There's lots of containers you have around the house that can hold water and it'll cost less than a penny a gallon.
I'm not too concerned about it, but Ms. Cups definitely is.

Getting the water was more peace of mind than anything else. We're in a pretty new apartment complex on the third floor. With the mandatory "get your shit off your patio" declaration and being high enough for water to not affect us, I'm not worried in the least
Old 09-08-2017, 11:18 AM

Staying in the Keys. Storm is slightly weaker. I will be on the weak side if path holds and I have a good safe place to be. My car may not fare so well. But that's what insurance is for.

Good luck everyone!
Old 09-08-2017, 11:49 AM

Well as it seems to be tracking further and further west, looks like coastal Georgia is just going to get a really big tropical storm, and of course this may spawn tornadoes all over randomly.

For those of you in down in Florida, stay safe!
Old 09-08-2017, 12:10 PM

Gotta question. A friend of Mr. Rilch's and mine is in Orlando, planning to get a flight out on Saturday afternoon. What are the odds of that flight taking off as scheduled?
Old 09-08-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilchiam View Post
Gotta question. A friend of Mr. Rilch's and mine is in Orlando, planning to get a flight out on Saturday afternoon. What are the odds of that flight taking off as scheduled?
This might help from the National Weather Service: Experimental Arrival Time of Tropical-Storm-Force Winds
Old 09-08-2017, 12:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
From Twitter: "Following meetings with airline partners, MCO will cease commercial ops at 5 p.m. ET on Saturday, 9/9/17"
Old 09-08-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
OIA is shutting down at 5 pm on Saturday. Flights before then will take off as scheduled. Anything after that will be cancelled.

ETA: ninja'd.

Last edited by Really Not All That Bright; 09-08-2017 at 12:42 PM.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:00 PM

Just relocated from Reno to Orlando; it was a long drive, and I've been here about a month.

My long-term girlfriend is living here as 4th year medical student. After 10 years, we decided to take that next step and move in together. Most of our friends would have been married four times over by now, but better late than never.

I quit my job right before leaving, and managed to land a software job at Lockheed within a week of arriving. Got a nice raise, and a sign on bonus too.

All just in time to die in a hurricane. Typical.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:17 PM

I just remembered that my newer cordless drill has a USB port on the battery. Charging that up for phones. And I'm going to totally enjoy pulling it out of the truck and saying "This is only a drill. If it had been a real emergency..."
Old 09-08-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
I just remembered that my newer cordless drill has a USB port on the battery. Charging that up for phones. And I'm going to totally enjoy pulling it out of the truck and saying "This is only a drill. If it had been a real emergency..."

A lot of those portable 12-volt car battery jump starters also have USB ports. Probably a good idea to charge those up if you have any along with any other rechargeable things you have.

Last edited by filmore; 09-08-2017 at 01:25 PM.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:28 PM
BANNED

Mine and wife's parents flew in from South FL. yesterday late at night. Most of their friends are still there but have hurricane shutters/windows. The biggest immediate problem will be if power goes out for days since they all live on 10-20th floors and are in their 60s-70s. I wonder what the evacuation % is in Miami-Dade and Broward. Probably way below 25% from what I hear.
Old 09-08-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmore View Post
A lot of those portable 12-volt car battery jump starters also have USB ports. Probably a good idea to charge those up if you have any along with any other rechargeable things you have.
The smart play with chargers/electronics too is that if you have two phones, turn one off and only use the other.

Then, when that phone dies, turn IT off, use the other phone and charge the firs phone while it's off. It'll charge quicker and you're only using one power source at a time.

Also, the more portable charges you have the better obvi
Old 09-08-2017, 02:12 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

My daughter and son-in-law are now in Ocala with my husband's parents (who are in their mid-80s.) Their house is block construction, so as long as the roof doesn't blow off, they should be fine. Once Irma blows thru, we'll figure out if we need to go help them. I wish they'd just come here in the first place...
Old 09-08-2017, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Tempting people who are already under extreme stress is not a good idea.

Old 09-08-2017, 02:34 PM

We're safe home from our staycation in Cocoa Beach. The hotel was calling people to cancel their reservations as of 3p Friday, since they were under a mandatory evacuation. I was woken up around 1am with thunder and lightning and we decided to hit the road. Traffic along 528 and north on the Turnpike was no issue.

We're in the middle of the state, north of Orlando in South Lake County. We're far enough inland that flooding will not be a problem. We're stocking up on water and will fill the bathtub tomorrow. Ivylad is doing a final yard cut once it stops raining and we'll bring in the outside items. Gas tanks are full and we have some gas cans in the garage.

I think we're ready.
Old 09-08-2017, 02:45 PM

All the theme parks are closed Sunday and Monday.

I want to say this is only the 4th or 5th time or so in it's history that Disney has closed, and they've done it two years in a row now!

We're gonna hit Magic Kingdom after work today just to say bye to the castle before Irma kills it
Old 09-08-2017, 03:07 PM

East Orlando (10 minutes away from University of Central Florida), got water, food, booze, batteries, grill. Couldn't find charcoal though. I'm on a second story apartment so I'm not worried about flooding. Apartments were build after last set of hurricanes so management assures us they are up to code. And if not, my car and renter's insurance is paid up. If power and internet stays on, I'll try to post some updates if I remember to do so. I hope everyone stays safe.

BTW, is the storm scheduled to hit Florida on 9/11? Geez.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:
From Twitter: "Following meetings with airline partners, MCO will cease commercial ops at 5 p.m. ET on Saturday, 9/9/17"
Thanks (to RNATB as well) for the info. Don't know the time of his flight, but hopefully "afternoon" means before 5pm.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRDelirious View Post
My big concern now is my sister's family in Jupiter, FL. She and her husband are care staff at the WPB VA Hospital and could not evac before today. Weighing rapidly diminishing options.
Hopefully the hospital itself is solidly-enough built that it will withstand the storm. Are they planning on being at the hospital during the storm? They might want to check into the possibility of doing that - I imagine hospital management is actually making plans for staff to ride it out there. If I worked at such a place I'd definitely try to stay there - they're likely to have backup generators and so on, so probably more comfortable than being at home in some ways.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I wonder what the evacuation % is in Miami-Dade and Broward. Probably way below 25% from what I hear.
I live in Broward. The portion of the county under mandatory evac is about 10% of the residential units, including mine. And at this time of year ~30% of those are vacant anyhow with their snowbird owners already up north.

The goal has never been to depopulate the county. It's been to depopulate the half-mile closest to the ocean. If anybody further inland wants to leave and avoid putting up with no electricity for a week or two that's gravy from the Emergency Manager's POV.

As long as those optional evacuees don't end up clogging the highways to the point that 100K people ride out the hurricane in a car in a traffic jam.
Cynicism is Evil. It provides an excuse to expect nothing but the worst from others while simultaneously excusing all the worst in yourself. It's lazy, selfish, and ignorant all tightly wrapped into a toxic ball of nasty.

Last edited by LSLGuy; 09-08-2017 at 03:38 PM.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:45 PM

Hunkering down in Ft Myers. I'm in a ground floor apartment but am not expecting flooding. Still put everything I could up high, though. I can't help but notice that now, EVERY prediction track has the eye going over my town.

As long as I get power back quickly, I should be inconvenienced more than devastated. I hope.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivylass View Post
Ivylad is doing a final yard cut once it stops raining
Because you want the place to look good just before it blows away?
Old 09-08-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
Because you want the place to look good just before it blows away?
Well, and because snakes and skeeters love tall grass!

In other news, a whole bunch of my friends and relatives are participating in a Facebook prayer chain now, so we can quit prepping!

And my 5-year-old: "I bet Aunt Irma (my father's sister) is happy that they named the 'hermicane' after her. She'll be famous!"
Old 09-08-2017, 03:59 PM

Nah...overgrown grass bugs him.

Work is closed on Monday.
Old 09-08-2017, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
And my 5-year-old: "I bet Aunt Irma (my father's sister) is happy that they named the 'hermicane' after her. She'll be famous!"
At work I knew both a Sandy, who understandably didn't seem affected that a major storm by chance shared her name, and a Haiyan, who I was surprised seemed to be a little embarrassed when I mentioned the typhoon that hit the Philippines in 2013.

To show how seriously people are taking this storm, here in central North Carolina the local supermarket had sold out its gallon containers of water yesterday, although it was mostly restocked this morning.
Old 09-08-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypno-Toad View Post
Hunkering down in Ft Myers. I'm in a ground floor apartment but am not expecting flooding. Still put everything I could up high, though. I can't help but notice that now, EVERY prediction track has the eye going over my town.

As long as I get power back quickly, I should be inconvenienced more than devastated. I hope.
Good luck and stay safe.

My daughter just told me my in-laws are evacuating from Port Charlotte and are going to pick her up in Tampa on the way north.