Old 10-18-2017, 10:42 PM

ca restaurant gets caught buying/serving chicken from popeyes

heres the story ....https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddri...bUM?li=BBnb7Kw

is there a difference between buying premade chicken from say Sysco foods and just getting it from popeyes?

would you feel cheated if you found out your favorite restaurant did this ?
Old 10-18-2017, 10:56 PM

Restaurants buy a lot of prepared foods. A sandwich shop is using the same bread you can buy. The same condiments.

I don't see a problem with a restaurants using another places fried chicken. The owner is very candid in saying she wanted the best fried chicken for her customers. I guess her insurance doesn't allow fryers in the business?
https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxne...es-13.amp.html
Quote:
“We PROUDLY SERVE Popeyes' spicy tenders — the best fried chicken anywhere and from New Orleans — which are delivered twice a day. We also in case you need to know buy our gumbo from a friend who sells it at a local farmers market,” Sanchez said in her response.

“We promote usually small batch local producers in our menu. The exception is Popeyes – we can’t fry at this location – and it the fried chicken I love so much and I ate a ton of it in the ATL. So I serve it,” she continued.

Last edited by aceplace57; 10-18-2017 at 11:00 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:48 AM

Well I'd get mad if I went to a Chili's and ordered a hamburger and got a refurbished McDonald's product.

But Popeye's is great chicken. In a different ambiance that chicken would be worth more. Part of what you're getting in this restaurant, I assume, is the ambiance, and other menu items besides chicken.

At my favorite restaurant I don't order fried chicken, but if I did, and it was good, I'd be happy.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:25 AM
Charter Member

It's a common thing for coffee shops to serve baked goods that were made by another business.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:59 AM

Yeah my favorite local NYC indie pizza place just serves us Papa Johns except with some added red peppers on top, tastes great!
Old 10-19-2017, 04:00 AM
Charter Member

Whatís their markup, I wonder? Iím not that thrilled with hipster-ish places, so Iím not likely to visit this place, but I do try to encourage Kayla to make sensible choices with her money, and Long Beach isnít that far away. Plus, if they expand into Fullerton, Iíll need to explain why she should just get her Popeyeís chicken at Popeyeís.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:16 AM

It's called Sweet Dixie Kitchen, and they're not allowed to fry things? You can't have Southern cooking without frying things.

I agree Popeye's chicken is good, but I'd still be pissed if I found out some frou-frou place was selling replated fast food stuff at frou-frou prices. If I want Popeye's, I'll go to Popeye's.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:56 AM

I see places with signs saying "Proudly serving Starbucks coffee" or the equivalent, and I don't have a problem with that. Doing it on the sly is a little weird, though.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:04 AM

The problem was they did not own up to it until someone caught them bringing in the Popeye's chicken. Despite the owners claims about transparency, their previous advertising verbiage indicated that all their food was made on site. All of those references have changed since this to-do.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

The OP sounds like a scene straight out of Gordon Ramsey's "Kitchen Nightmares".

I can understand sourcing baked goods because they are so labor intensive. But chicken tenders? Seriously, WTF?
Old 10-19-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKilez View Post
The problem was they did not own up to it until someone caught them bringing in the Popeye's chicken. Despite the owners claims about transparency, their previous advertising verbiage indicated that all their food was made on site.
Cite?
Old 10-19-2017, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

[Moderating]

Fixed title.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post
Cite?
Here is one.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
The OP sounds like a scene straight out of Gordon Ramsey's "Kitchen Nightmares".

I can understand sourcing baked goods because they are so labor intensive. But chicken tenders? Seriously, WTF?
The first thing I thought of is this (SNL sketch).
And, much as I like to mock hipsters, I don't think it's cool to pass off another restaurant's food - in this case yummy yummy food - as your own. Especially if you're charging double the price.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:04 AM

There was a well established bakery that my father-in-law used to go to which was purchased by a new owner. He went there several times after it changed hands, but my father-in-law no longer enjoyed their cakes because they tasted stale. So he started getting his baked goods from a supermarket down the road. He mentioned to the supermarket-baker-person behind the cake counter that he used to go to Acme bakery, but their cakes were now awful and he now preferred the supermarket stuff. She was surprised because she said the new owner of Acme bakery was now buying their cakes at this supermarket and just decorating them for resale. The 30-year old bakery closed less than a year after changing owners and reselling supermarket cakes.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogarth View Post
I see places with signs saying "Proudly serving Starbucks coffee" or the equivalent, and I don't have a problem with that. Doing it on the sly is a little weird, though.
Usually that means they're using the same beans, not that they're running down to the block to get a latte every time someone orders one.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:15 AM

Slightly related--a cousin of mine worked in a Dollar Tree for a time. She says that convenience store owners shop there, getting cartloads of things that they resell for a hefty markup.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:18 AM

Looking at their menu, fried chicken seems to be a tiny minority of the menu items so I can see a cost benefit to outsourcing that ingredient, but be honest and up front about doing it. This would not even be an issue if they did not try to pass it off as their own.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death of Rats View Post
Looking at their menu, fried chicken seems to be a tiny minority of the menu items so I can see a cost benefit to outsourcing that ingredient, but be honest and up front about doing it. This would not even be an issue if they did not try to pass it off as their own.
I can't even find it on there. I assume the fried chicken biscuit? That's about the only thing I see with the chicken in there.

For me, I don't think I'd give a shit. I would prefer for them to have it stated up front, but if I like it, what do I care if they made it or went down the street and resold it to me at double the price? C'est la capitalisme. (And it doesn't sound like they're just serving it exactly in the way Popeyes would, but using it as an ingredient in their recipes, adding sauces or waffles or whatnot.) I mean, how is this different than me going to a Greek restaurant, ordering a gyros, and getting the same Kronos gyros that every other hamburger stand in Chicago gets and sells for half the price? I mean, yes, I guess they literally do cook it in house on the spit and not go across the street, but that's not a significant difference in my mind. (And, yes, I do know many Greek restaurants make their own, but many don't.)

Last edited by pulykamell; 10-19-2017 at 11:04 AM.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death of Rats View Post
I'd wondered if they had a weasel-word bit that's misleading but arguably true, like proudly claiming every item on the menu is made locally or from local ingredients. (Because you can't get more "local" than "not two blocks over", amirite?)
Old 10-19-2017, 12:04 PM

How does Popeye's compare to KFC-- in terms of taste and healthiness?

I ate at Popeye's once a few years ago, and honestly the place was so filthy I couldn't even get to figuring out if the food was any good. If I hadn't been famished, I would've walked out and gone somewhere else.

Last edited by John Mace; 10-19-2017 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mace View Post
If you're going for "healthiness," fried chicken is the wrong direction.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
If you're going for "healthiness," fried chicken is the wrong direction.
That wasn't the question. The question was relative, not absolute.

And done "right", fried chicken needn't be unhealthy, even if it's not as healthy as eating kale.

Last edited by John Mace; 10-19-2017 at 12:22 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:

I ate at Popeye's once a few years ago, and honestly the place was so filthy I couldn't even get to figuring out if the food was any good. If I hadn't been famished, I would've walked out and gone somewhere else.
I couldn't say which is healthier (though my sense is that it would be KFC for some reason) but in terms of taste, Popeye's kicks the colonel's seersucker clad ass. Also, your experience at Popeye's matches mine at every location I've ever been to. Hands down the most poorly run fast food restaurants I've ever been to. So much so that all the one's in my vicinity are now closed Every time I went, which was fairly often, I knew the experience would suck, but it was always worth it.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
I couldn't say which is healthier (though my sense is that it would be KFC for some reason) but in terms of taste, Popeye's kicks the colonel's seersucker clad ass. Also, your experience at Popeye's matches mine at every location I've ever been to. Hands down the most poorly run fast food restaurants I've ever been to. So much so that all the one's in my vicinity are now closed Every time I went, which was fairly often, I knew the experience would suck, but it was always worth it.
There is a Popeye's by my house. They completely tore down the building and built a new fancy one in its place. A much cleaner store now.

I'm wondering if Popeye's is aware of their "dirty" image and working on resolving the issue?
Old 10-19-2017, 01:47 PM

I had lunch today at a bar and grill today that did something similar. I ordered a Philly cheesesteak. It was brought to me by a delivery guy from the pizza shop next door.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
IMO, KFC's coating has a little more flavor to it. In terms of healthiness, I think you can still get tenders at Popeye's "blackened" (or "naked"), without the coating but with spices put directly on the meat.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:27 PM

yeah I just remembered the local family fun center outsourced the pizza they used for their birthdays parties form any pizza place that they could order from because the chains put a 10 a day limit on them
Old 10-19-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
I'm guessing KFC chicken is healthier because they pressure cook it rather than deep fry.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:53 PM

Looking at the actual nutrition information:
https://www.kfc.com/nutrition
https://popeyes.com/menu/nutrition-information/

It's pretty much a draw between the original recipes. KFC Extra Crispy has more calories.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:58 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
Amy and Samy Bouzaglo relocated to Long Beach?

Last edited by Skywatcher; 10-19-2017 at 03:01 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:22 PM

I don't get it. If you want to eat Popeye's chicken, why wouldn't you just go to Popeye's?

Get it fresh from the source. How old would that chicken be getting schlepped all over town?

Old 10-19-2017, 03:58 PM

This is deception most fowl!
Old 10-19-2017, 03:58 PM

Am I the only one that ended up getting Popeye's for lunch because of this?
Old 10-19-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKilez View Post
The problem was they did not own up to it until someone caught them bringing in the Popeye's chicken. Despite the owners claims about transparency, their previous advertising verbiage indicated that all their food was made on site. All of those references have changed since this to-do.
This is the problem. If the menu is honest about what you are getting, that's fine. If it lies (even a lie of omission) the restaurant is cheating their customer.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:21 PM

Looking at their menu I could only find fried chicken in their "chicken with biscuits and gravy" item.
So if you wanted Popeye's chicken straight up you go to Popeye's. If you want biscuits and gravy with Popeye's chicken you go to this place.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire View Post
Looking at their menu I could only find fried chicken in their "chicken with biscuits and gravy" item.
So if you wanted Popeye's chicken straight up you go to Popeye's. If you want biscuits and gravy with Popeye's chicken you go to this place.

But you can get biscuits and gravy at Popeye's too.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:37 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

Wouldn't they have a legal problem with Popeye's if they put the name on their menu? Seems like Popeye's was ok with the arrangement, but they didn't have clearance to use their name.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
I'm guessing KFC chicken is healthier because they pressure cook it rather than deep fry.
It’s most definitely fried. Pressure fried. Also, it’s in the name.

Last edited by pulykamell; 10-19-2017 at 04:55 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
But you can get biscuits and gravy at Popeye's too.
Well, the person in the article is complaining about some chicken & waffles dish he had there, and the menu item I see is not chicken & biscuits with gravy, but with some sort of "chipotle syrup."

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mace
I would honestly say that Popeye's, depending on the exact location, easily has the best fried chicken of any of the fried chicken chains, and is as good or better than most local fried chicken places. But there are locations that are a bit, shall we say, scummy and don't get enough throughput so the chicken may sit around a bit.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:44 PM

This was on the local news here in SF last night.
From what I understand, the chicken is used in a chicken & waffle dish, which the restaurant's customers who appeared on camera all raved about.
The owner seemed completely upfront about using Popeye's (though that may be in dispute). Either way, I'd say incorporating it into a menu item not available at Popeye's makes the chicken an ingredient; not the same thing as simply re-selling another establishment's product.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:07 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Itís most definitely fried. Pressure fried. Also, itís in the name.
I thought they were just KFC now, with no meaning attached to the acronym?
Old 10-19-2017, 06:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
I thought they were just KFC now, with no meaning attached to the acronym?
I knew somebody was going to point that out! Cooking method still the same, so far as I can tell, though. If you've ever pressure cooked a chicken, though, you know what you get, and it ain't something that resembles southern fried chicken.

Last edited by pulykamell; 10-19-2017 at 06:09 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
It’s most definitely fried. Pressure fried. Also, it’s in the name.
Ignorance fought.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:46 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Slightly related--a cousin of mine worked in a Dollar Tree for a time. She says that convenience store owners shop there, getting cartloads of things that they resell for a hefty markup.
That's better than what the bodega owners do around here which is buy items from shoplifters then resell them.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:11 PM

Great - this thread has me craving my Popeye's three piece combo, spicy dark, Cajun rice. And I can't have it because of this stupid elimination diet the doctors have me on. Curses!

Regarding Popeye's vs. KFC, I agree that Popeye's kicks the Colonel's butt. However, I have also found the KFC stores to always have a scummy feel to them - like a thin coating of grease on every surface. I have noticed this for decades. Almost every Popeye's store I have been in has been clean and comfortable.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:38 PM

a thought I had was why don't they just make a licensing deal with popeyes to buy the chicken wholesale ....

ironically this is how kfc got started was sanders sold his seasoning and showed restaurants how to make it and he was supposed to get something like 5 cents for every piece sold oh and advertise it was his chicken

The problems were supposedly 1 the chicken was so popular that it out sold everything else in the restaurants which was a sore spot with some and he wasn't getting his 5 cents per piece and almost all of the places never mentioned him ......

And one of his customers said "why don't we just make the chicken" ? and it went from there

Last edited by nightshadea; 10-19-2017 at 08:39 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuka View Post
Yeah my favorite local NYC indie pizza place just serves us Papa Johns except with some added red peppers on top, tastes great!
This is an abomination, unless it is a joke, in which case it is hilarious.