Old 09-30-2017, 08:00 PM

After watching the pilot, I re-watched the "Balance of Terror"

Obviously the effects are better in STD but the BOT has the more riveting story,
There is significantly less dialog in BOT but everything that is said adds to the story and moves it along fairly well. "The action is a little easier to follow than STD (where there is way too much going on to follow in the action scenes

There are also more subtle nuances and non verbal actions in BOT that are only really noticed on a second viewing. Example, when the Bird of Prey fires on the Enterprise and is trying to escape their energy weapon.
Compare that to STD and even though the ship is surrounded and outgunned, it just doesn't feel like the same imminent threat.

It does appear that STD is being written by the fanboys, but (so far) they have deviated from the Roddenberry principles.

The perfect example of that was mentioned earlier in this thread with the "Errand of Mercy" where it appears the Feds and the Klingons are going to fight it out only to get a peace treaty forced on them. In STD, they jump fairly quickly to this all out battle.

It is also obvious that STD is being written by a committee as opposed to a single writer. The difference is that a single writer can explore ideas not easily done in a committee. (ie Doomsday machine or the one with Joan Collins/Edith Keeler)

Although Gene Roddenberry's son is involved, he was not around for TOS and he doesn't has his father's views.

I can also see why Brian Fuller left this show as he probably did not agree with the direction they were taking.

Last edited by ssgenius; 09-30-2017 at 08:01 PM.
Advertisements  
Old 09-30-2017, 08:29 PM

The expense and middling quality of opticals back in the '60s was a blessing in disguise. It forced the showrunners to focus on stories and characterization, rather than going overboard on special effects. CGI has more often than not ruined whatever it was used in.
Old 10-01-2017, 06:10 AM

I rewatched the first two episodes and found I enjoyed them more. I paid better attention and caught details that I had missed the first time (like how the civilization they saved at the beginning of Episode one was only suffering because of a Federation screw up).

I still think it's a little weird they spent two episodes to provide back story for Michael and today we are getting the "real" pilot but I am giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Side Note: if you're curious about the timeline in relation to TOS. This story takes place two years after the events of "The Cage" (the original TOS Pilot).
Old 10-02-2017, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoots View Post
OK well there were humans raised on Earth in TOS and TNG that were less emotional than her. So if we can't rely on her to be one of the rational thinkers onboard then we're going to need others
My working theory is that Burnham is not entirely rational when it comes to Klingons.

Her parents died in a Klingon raid. There is a flashback scene that makes it look like she had some kind of PTSD seizure while in Vulcan school, and Sarek tried to mind-meld with her to bring her out of it. IMO, shadows of this trauma still lurk in her subconscious.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
Side Note: if you're curious about the timeline in relation to TOS. This story takes place two years after the events of "The Cage" (the original TOS Pilot).
In STD episode 1, Burham's personal log gives a date of May 11, 2256.

According to Memory Alpha, (TOS) J. T. Kirk joined the academy in 2252.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlees View Post
In STD episode 1, Burham's personal log gives a date of May 11, 2256.

According to Memory Alpha, (TOS) J. T. Kirk joined the academy in 2252.
The Cage is the first pilot with Christopher Pike as Captain. It is supposed to have happened several years before TOS. Pieces of The Cage were reused as the flashbacks in the two part TOS episode The Menagerie.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
The Cage is the first pilot with Christopher Pike as Captain. It is supposed to have happened several years before TOS. Pieces of The Cage were reused as the flashbacks in the two part TOS episode The Menagerie.
I am aware of that, thank you.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:34 PM

Anybody irked at all that Number One apparently traveled 2000 kilometers in about 90 seconds in the pilot? Some powerful thrusters in this space suit, for sure...
Old 10-02-2017, 10:59 PM

Is this going to be a season thread or what?

I liked the third ep. Star Trek universe, but totally different story and feel. I like.
Old 10-03-2017, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by levdrakon View Post
Is this going to be a season thread or what?

I liked the third ep. Star Trek universe, but totally different story and feel. I like.
No there is a new thread for Episode three here.