#1  
Old 02-21-2020, 06:12 AM
delucapeter7 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 1

Groucho's cigar


He did say that on the air and I saw it on his show You Bet Your Life on a classic t v channel. It wasn't taken out and still exists. I've seen it many times on Classic t v
  #2  
Old 02-21-2020, 06:48 AM
Jasmine's Avatar
Jasmine is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 2,613
He did say what?

Was that thing actually lit? I can't imagine it was but, on the other hand, they had far fewer rules 'n regs back in those days.
__________________
"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance -- it is the illusion of knowledge."
--Daniel J Boorstin
  #3  
Old 02-21-2020, 07:17 AM
cochrane is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Nekkid Pueblo
Posts: 23,084
I'm guessing this is the column:

Did Groucho Marx utter a famous double entendre ad lib on the air?

Groucho did have this exchange with a contestant in a 1947 or 48 radio broadcast of his show:

Groucho: So, you got any kids?

Female contestant: Yes, Groucho, I have eleven children.

Groucho: Eleven?! Did you say eleven kids?

Female contestant: Well, I love my husband.

Groucho: Lady, I love my cigar but I take it out of my mouth once in a while.

It did not make it onto the air, though.
  #4  
Old 02-21-2020, 07:22 AM
Joey P is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 30,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
He did say what?

Was that thing actually lit? I can't imagine it was but, on the other hand, they had far fewer rules 'n regs back in those days.
Why not? Smoking on TV wasn't remotely out of the ordinary back then. Look at I Love Lucy or the Dick Van Dyke show or Bewitched. They were all smoking. I think it got dialed back in the 70's and 80's and probably wasn't until the 90's that people made a conscious decision to not smoke on TV (not counting episodes that required it for the plot). But back in the 60's, no one thought twice about it.
  #5  
Old 02-21-2020, 07:43 AM
The Constitution is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 4

Every time I see F .. U C K


This really did happen, and I know because I was watching TV with my older sister when Soupy Sales said it.

I couldn't have been older than five, which means that my older and worldy-wise sister must have been nine or ten at the time.

The exchange was something like this:

[Soupy, showing a card with the letter "F" on it] -- White Fang, what letter is this?
[White Fang, grunting (you just saw his paw)] -- "K"
[Soupy] "What letter?"
[White Fang] "K"
(repeat)
[Soupy] "How come every time I see F, you see K?"

As an innocent five-year-old, I didn't understand, so I asked my sister. She finally explained to her annoying younger brother: "Fuck, David, he spelled Fuck".

I told her it couldn't be, and she probably rolled her eyes and ignored me.

It happened, I was there.
  #6  
Old 02-21-2020, 07:57 AM
Telemark's Avatar
Telemark is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Just outside of Titletown
Posts: 23,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Constitution View Post
It happened, I was there.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/dirty-job/

No it didn't. No, you weren't.
  #7  
Old 02-21-2020, 08:01 AM
ftg's Avatar
ftg is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Not the PNW :-(
Posts: 21,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Constitution View Post
This really did happen, and I know because I was watching TV with my older sister when Soupy Sales said it.

...

It happened, I was there.
Snopes say false.

There a ton of such things that people are "sure" they saw. The alternate ending of Big, the Sinbad Shazam movie, and on and on.

But facts are facts. You're memory is wrong. Be rational and deal with it.
  #8  
Old 02-21-2020, 09:21 AM
Brasshat is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 1

Groucho's cigar ad lib.


The story about Groucho being cut off the air for his cigar ad lib is true. I am 84 years old, and I was watching "You bet your life" when he said that. Your report is pretty much word-for-word accurate except for two minor discrepancies. He did not say the words,
"of my mouth". He said, "I love my cigar too, but I take it out once in a while." I'll never forget that. I nearly fell out of my chair laughing! Then a 'test pattern' (remember those?) appeared, and an announcer said, "Due to circumstances beyond the control of our sponsors, we are forced to discontinue this program. The remaining time will be filled with music." The test pattern remained while they played 'elevator music'.
The other error is that the show never aired again. I'm sure Groucho got a sharp reprimand, but the show continued the following week. I remember watching it expecting to hear some comment about the faux pas - but - not a word.

FYI - The same thing happened to Bob Hope on his radio program. During an episode with a Friday the thirteenth theme, he and Marilyn Maxwell were walking to the studio when they came to a ladder, with a painter above. Bob refused to walk under the ladder, and Marilyn teased him for being superstitious. Bob walked around, but Marilyn walked under the ladder to prove her point. As luck would have it, the painter dropped his paint brush, which hit Marilyn's hand, and got red paint on it. She stated that she couldn't walk down the street with red paint on her hand, and Bob suggested that she put her hand in his pocket. She did, and they continued on, and Marilyn said, "I feel silly, Bob." Bob retorted, "You go much further you'll feel nuts!" End of episode.
  #9  
Old 02-21-2020, 10:15 AM
cochrane is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Nekkid Pueblo
Posts: 23,084
There's already a thread about this.

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=890436
  #10  
Old 02-21-2020, 10:56 AM
Colibri's Avatar
Colibri is online now
SD Curator of Critters
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Panama
Posts: 44,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
There's already a thread about this.

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=890436
I have merged two threads on the same column.
  #11  
Old 02-21-2020, 01:16 PM
RTFirefly is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Maryland
Posts: 40,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
Snopes say false.

There a ton of such things that people are "sure" they saw. The alternate ending of Big, the Sinbad Shazam movie, and on and on.

But facts are facts. You're memory is wrong. Be rational and deal with it.
Yeah, that's what we all said to Libertarian, but(t)...
  #12  
Old 02-21-2020, 07:52 PM
Exapno Mapcase is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NY but not NYC
Posts: 32,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brasshat View Post
The story about Groucho being cut off the air for his cigar ad lib is true. I am 84 years old, and I was watching "You bet your life" when he said that.
Here's the problem. You Bet Your Life was never at any time, on radio or television, broadcast live. It was pre-taped for two reasons. One was simply because even Groucho couldn't make every ad lib brilliant. They taped an hour and cut the show down to the 30 best minutes. The other reason was to make sure that nothing salacious ever made it to air. The producer, Robert Dwan, did the cutting himself and never would have allowed it past him. The going to black part is also problematic. If such a thing had happened it would have been national news, rife in all newspaper databases, and set down in every history of television. Yet no mention of the story can be found before 1970 and a 1972 interview with Groucho has him firmly denying it. And no tape, recording, or transcript of these words have ever come to light.

Snopes has assembled all the known evidence, including real episodes that may have given life to the story. I'm a member of The Marx Brothers Council group on Facebook, containing a number of experts. (I count myself among them, owning every book by or about the Marxes, and recordings of every movie and tv show they did that's been made public.) People are talking about Cecil's column right now and everybody there agrees that no such line was ever broadcast.

I can't account for your memory, except to say that it contradicts everything we know about the way the show was produced and has no outside evidence to back it up.

The same goes for your Bob Hope anecdote. I also have every book by or about Hope and I've never heard this story before. An internet search brings up no hits except for your post here. I have to doubt that this ever happened, despite your insistence. Memories are unreliable, though we wish otherwise.
  #13  
Old 02-22-2020, 02:00 AM
TubaDiva's Avatar
TubaDiva is offline
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: In the land of OO-bla-dee
Posts: 11,434
Snopes does back up the Soupy Sales "Kids, send me pictures of presidents out of your parent's wallets" story.

Cecil verified the origin of the "kissing on strikes and balls" legend in the column." Not Groucho.

Groucho did say shocking things. Like to Margaret Dumont.

Lots of people mishear things, or think they see things that aren't really there -- look at the Staff Report on the board about Disney erotica, for one.

People are still arguing over events such as the infamous story about The Newlywed Game. Thanks to Bob Eubanks for setting us straight ... here's the footage.

Then there's Zsa Zsa Gabor on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson.

Carson did say some provocative stuff for his time. Johnny Carson and Dolly Parton: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw2W8ZC7pkM

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva

Last edited by Colibri; 02-22-2020 at 02:26 PM.
  #14  
Old 02-22-2020, 10:03 PM
DrDeth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Jose
Posts: 43,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Constitution View Post
This really did happen, and I know because I was watching TV with my older sister when Soupy Sales said it.

....

As an innocent five-year-old, I didn't understand, so I asked my sister. She finally explained to her annoying younger brother: "Fuck, David, he spelled Fuck".

I told her it couldn't be, and she probably rolled her eyes and ignored me.

It happened, I was there.
False memories are easy to get.

I was on Bozo, yes, verified. And I "remember" "cram it clowny". But that didnt happen either.

OTOH, Bozo was more terrifying than funny, and that has been verified by many kids on his show.
  #15  
Old 02-22-2020, 11:22 PM
cochrane is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Nekkid Pueblo
Posts: 23,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubaDiva View Post
Snopes does back up the Soupy Sales "Kids, send me pictures of presidents out of your parent's wallets" story.

Cecil verified the origin of the "kissing on strikes and balls" legend in the column." Not Groucho.

Groucho did say shocking things. Like to Margaret Dumont.

Lots of people mishear things, or think they see things that aren't really there -- look at the Staff Report on the board about Disney erotica, for one.

People are still arguing over events such as the infamous story about The Newlywed Game. Thanks to Bob Eubanks for setting us straight ... here's the footage.

Then there's Zsa Zsa Gabor on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson.

Carson did say some provocative stuff for his time. Johnny Carson and Dolly Parton: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw2W8ZC7pkM

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Supposedly, and I heard this third hand, so it probably never happened, but Carson had golfer Arnold Palmer's wife as a guest. She told him that she kissed her husband's balls every night before he played in a tournament. Carson replied, "I'll bet that really makes his putter stand up!"
  #16  
Old 02-22-2020, 11:31 PM
cochrane is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Nekkid Pueblo
Posts: 23,084
Too late to edit, but, debunked by Snopes, so definitely not true.
  #17  
Old 02-23-2020, 02:42 AM
The Constitution is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 4
No reason to be mean.

I know very well that Snopes says it is false. I have written to them twice about it.

I was there, it really happened. You weren't there, you don't know.

It's not a false memory -- I never heard that it was "false" until Snopes said so -- before that, never much thought about it (except that my sister and I did discuss it in later years). Not a case of a memory being backfuilled to fit an interesting story.

I can still see White Fang's big paw and hear his raspy voice, "K"!
  #18  
Old 02-23-2020, 03:32 AM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm is online now
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 63,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Constitution View Post
No reason to be mean.

I know very well that Snopes says it is false. I have written to them twice about it.

I was there, it really happened. You weren't there, you don't know.

It's not a false memory -- I never heard that it was "false" until Snopes said so -- before that, never much thought about it (except that my sister and I did discuss it in later years). Not a case of a memory being backfuilled to fit an interesting story.

I can still see White Fang's big paw and hear his raspy voice, "K"!
Is it possible that you are conflating watching the show and a friend telling you that story?
  #19  
Old 02-23-2020, 06:23 AM
Telemark's Avatar
Telemark is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Just outside of Titletown
Posts: 23,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Constitution View Post
It's not a false memory -- I never heard that it was "false" until Snopes said so -- before that, never much thought about it (except that my sister and I did discuss it in later years). Not a case of a memory being backfuilled to fit an interesting story.
By your own account, you were 5. The chances that a detailed memory from that age is reliable is vanishingly small. Lots of kids have equally firm contradictory memories that can't be true based on the evidence
  #20  
Old 02-23-2020, 07:15 AM
ftg's Avatar
ftg is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Not the PNW :-(
Posts: 21,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Constitution View Post
I was there, it really happened. You weren't there, you don't know.

It's not a false memory -- I never heard that it was "false" until Snopes said so -- before that, never much thought about it (except that my sister and I did discuss it in later years). Not a case of a memory being backfuilled to fit an interesting story.
You are a person. You have false memories. To think otherwise is absolutely absurd.

For myself, I was absolutely 100% sure that Springsteen's Born to Run album came out in 1974. I remember where I was living at the time I bought it and the famous appearances on the covers of Time and Newsweek came out. No doubt about it. 1974. Clear as day.

Everything you can say about your memory I can say about mine.

It came out in 1975.

Easily verifiable.

Just as easily verifiable as your false memory.

You are not special.

Last edited by ftg; 02-23-2020 at 07:15 AM.
  #21  
Old 02-23-2020, 08:38 AM
Muffin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Great White North
Posts: 20,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
You are not special.
You're just upset about that time White Fang bit Springsteen.
__________________
Hour after hour, day after day, we paddled and sang and slept under the hot sun on the northern ocean, wanting never to return.
  #22  
Old 02-24-2020, 12:18 PM
TubaDiva's Avatar
TubaDiva is offline
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: In the land of OO-bla-dee
Posts: 11,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
False memories are easy to get.

I was on Bozo, yes, verified. And I "remember" "cram it clowny". But that didnt happen either.

OTOH, Bozo was more terrifying than funny, and that has been verified by many kids on his show.
Clown makeup dates back from circus days, when the ring was sometimes quite a distance from the audience -- think Barnum and Bailey and all those arena shows. To be seen at that distance clown makeup had to be really big, big enough to be out of proportion and creepy when seen up close.

TV clowns didn't understand this so much, or at least Larry Harmon didn't, anyway.

It's still an issue today; I've known a few professional clowns and most of them are more restrained for the birthday party/hospital clown side of things. But go to any show and see "Clown Alley" and it's all writ large on their faces.

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
  #23  
Old 02-24-2020, 03:39 PM
ftg's Avatar
ftg is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Not the PNW :-(
Posts: 21,669
This is my favorite study on false memories. A surprisingly number of people were easily convinced that they met Bugs Bunny and such at Disneyland.

I'm sure that to this day many of them respond to points like Bugs is Warner Brothers, not Disney, with things like "How do you know? You weren't there." and such.

Last edited by ftg; 02-24-2020 at 03:40 PM.
  #24  
Old 02-25-2020, 08:49 AM
Andy L is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 7,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
OTOH, Bozo was more terrifying than funny, and that has been verified by many kids on his show.
Robyn Asimov (Isaac's daughter) was terrified of Bozo when Isaac got her into the studio audience (she liked Bozo when he was small, and black and white on the TV screen, but large-as-life, and orange was different) (cite: Asimov's autobiography "In Joy Still Felt")
  #25  
Old 02-25-2020, 10:25 AM
cochrane is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Nekkid Pueblo
Posts: 23,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
This is my favorite study on false memories. A surprisingly number of people were easily convinced that they met Bugs Bunny and such at Disneyland.

I'm sure that to this day many of them respond to points like Bugs is Warner Brothers, not Disney, with things like "How do you know? You weren't there." and such.
But, but, Bugs was in Who Framed Roger Rabbit? with Mickey Mouse!
  #26  
Old 02-25-2020, 12:01 PM
minor7flat5's Avatar
minor7flat5 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Trenton, NJ
Posts: 5,088
A more recent TV example is my solid memory that Mikey will eat anything. "Let's give it to Mikey, he'll eat anything."

I am absolutely convinced that that was the line in the Life commercial from the 1970s.

...except the line really was "he hates everything" and there are plenty of videos on YouTube to back this up.

I'm wondering how they managed to change it in so many place, because I remember "he'll eat anything"
  #27  
Old 02-25-2020, 05:21 PM
DrDeth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Jose
Posts: 43,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by minor7flat5 View Post
A more recent TV example is my solid memory that Mikey will eat anything. "Let's give it to Mikey, he'll eat anything."

I am absolutely convinced that that was the line in the Life commercial from the 1970s.

...except the line really was "he hates everything" and there are plenty of videos on YouTube to back this up.

I'm wondering how they managed to change it in so many place, because I remember "he'll eat anything"
Yep, I remember that also.

However, Groucho did say

https://books.google.com/books?id=uY...ompany&f=false

GM: Do you have a job?

Father of Triplets: Yes, i work for the power company

GM; My boy you dont work for the power company, you are the power company."
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017