Old 04-01-2011, 05:43 AM

Oh, come on, people. The last name is McCormick. The most well known McCormick in the country makes spices, and the second most well known is a child of Cthulu. Of course this text is just a recipe for squid pie, written in the bloodfester tongues.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:25 AM

14 karats of gold in a federal police department?
Old 04-01-2011, 07:08 AM

mind/read a book/
(MND NXNE A RSE-N-SPA UN ARE) (ALFMN)

/see/
TFRNE N8TNSE NPBSE RCBBNSE NPRSE INC

/see/ /world/ /trouble/
PRSE NMRSE 8PRE-WLD ENLDUCBE (TFXLF TCXL NCBE)

/trouble/ /world/
AL-PRPPIT XLY PPIY NCBE MGKSE WLD RCBE NSE PRSE

/world/ /not/ /see/ /see/world/trouble/
WLD RCB RNSE N T SGNENTRSE - CRSLE - CTTRSE WLD NCBE

/world/ /see/or else/your/ /as/in/world/trouble/
AL WLD NCRETEME LRSE RLSE UR GLSNE AS N WLD NCBE

/god damn sense?/
(NDPFSE NLSRE NCDG) NTE GDDMNSEN CUREREBRNE

/teen or trouble/ /to/see/trouble/
(TENE TFRNE NCRQ TSE NCBE ING)

/first pass on the 71 trouble?/
(FIRSE PASE ONDE 71 NCBE)

second?/see/ /on the 74 trouble?/
(CDNSE PRSE ONSDE 74 NCBE)

/on/ /75 trouble/
(PRTSG TRSE ON REDE 75 NCBE)

/murder/ /world./world trouble/
(TF NACMSP SOLE MRDE LUSE TOTE WLD. WLD NCBE)

/194 world's trouble/
(194 WLD's NCBE) (TRFXL)

:using Old English and my assumption of his short hand. Could be wrong but hey it does start to form sentences this way enjoy
Old 04-01-2011, 07:42 AM

I don't think it's a shorthand. I also think the bracketed text and the layout on the page are important, so throwing out positioning (it appears that everything is set in a grid) is a mistake.

Unfortunately, the FBI have not released enough information to even begin to work on this. Did he carry around a book with him? In which case, he could be using the contents of the book as a sort of one-time-pad. He'd been doing this since childhood. Could he encode and decode on the fly, or did he need to sit down and work on it? Very frustrating. I have no idea why they thought just releasing very poor quality scans with no additional information would be helpful.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:52 AM

Yea capt. definately need more background info on the guy to go further with this. For instance, if I am somewhat on the right track and he is african-american the last phrase on P1 (194 wld's ncbe) could be a simple letter missing out (being 1999 when his body was found0 and be "1994 world is {in} trouble" possibly referring to the Rwanda massacre that was going on or some other related tragedy he was witnessing at the time. They should definately give us more info on his background, obviously not anything too personal or anything that would hinder/hurt the investigation but just throwing the notes out there (in a very poor photocopy) and asking for help is almost pointless
Old 04-01-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Ridley's Shooting Party View Post
I don't think it's a shorthand. I also think the bracketed text and the layout on the page are important, so throwing out positioning (it appears that everything is set in a grid) is a mistake.
Well, going by your nick, if anybody is suited to crack this...

The problem with such notes is that there might not be any consistent 'coding', but rather, their correct deciphering may depend on the associations the writer has (or had, in this case). Personally, I sometimes jot down notes that are intended to simply serve as a kind of mnemonic aid -- 'Gedankenstütze' in German, literally something like 'thought scaffolding': the notes don't contain the thought, but merely help remembering it. Though my notes are never that elaborate or cryptic, if there's something similar at play here, I can't see how one would 'crack' something like that -- there's just not enough information there.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:15 AM

Has anyone got any thoughts on the very bottom line of the second note?

"D-W-M-Y MIL XDRLX"

Date-week-month-year? If this is correct, it just troubles me that's it's not coded, as there's no numbers there. Could it be a template for something/someone??

Just a thought!
Old 04-01-2011, 09:56 AM

Anyone know this guys education
Old 04-01-2011, 10:37 AM

/Paranoid hijack/ Here's a theory for you: the FBI clearly haven't given out as much as they could to help us. Maybe they aren't actually all that interested in solving this. Maybe they are really just after a group of amateur code breakers, and hoping they'll collaborate on this publicly. Maybe they're hoping to be able to search on the text of the McCormick notes and uncover a group of talented folks who have been wreaking havoc of their own. . . \paranoid hijack\
Old 04-01-2011, 11:45 AM

Really?

Please...know thy puzzle! Check the SSI death index, ther is no 1 this age, name, place and date. Good pzle though. FBI wants hard copy for DNA and/r handwriting? Page 1 is info The NOTES page is an outline of the conversation to have. Circled to keep focused. Not a code - mostly phonetic. Most likely street trained, dyslexic profile. Stealing cars for reason? Murder for hire?

nte - night
g - go
d - down
mkne - making /make me
nprse inc - in person and see
ne - any
mrse - mercedes
htlse - hotels

page 1
remind me, make a erason to scare him. (ask him)
wants to meet in person and see.
would be nice to see me, release the girls
not good since your

flrse prse - first person
cd se prse - second person

n cmsp sole mrder luse tote / first set sold set murderer loose to

note 2
I'll put keys ...glasses or glass
You must see
,,on doors
and would clear any

They'll empty 6 tons??? in ???exchange for cash
ns = ends
brexe = breaks
36 miles
651 mtcse htlse n cu tc tc tr nmre

Meet at 6:50 at Mitchell's hotel and see you tonight to see if there is anymore

nmre = any more
nrse - nears
nears put in trailer cab and

all time for now - gotta go.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:48 PM

Ok
For those who are "Positional People" -- and we know who we are don't ME -- Here are two of the P1 messages in a positional format. The first is an attempt to capture alignment. The second is purely positional. I have used an @ for any illegible characters and given this my best guess at questionable chars. Since I am not sure if Code tags are allowed here I just pasted from a text editor so I am aware this may not appear correctly aligned here but should align correctly when pasted into your fave text editor.

The row column numbering should help with the discussion of letter interpretation.

My wife says I am spending too much time on this and not enough on her...well with her...ok on her... so I could only get the P1 message done. Will try to take on the other message after taking on the wife.

p.s. The spaces between characters will facilitate the import of the data in to your fave spreadsheet too. Just tell it the data is space delimited. And Yes I am a C coder hence the beginning index being 0.

Message P1 - Grid 1 (Positional with alignment)
__| _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 1 _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 2 _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 3 _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 4
__| 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0
0_| _ _ ( M N D M K N E A P S E - A - S M K N A R E ) _ _ _ _ _ ( A L S M N )
1_| @ T F R N E N P T N S E N P B S E R C B B N S E N P R S E 1 N C
2_| P R S E N M R S E @ P R E H L D W L D N C B E ( T F X L F T C X L N C B E )
3_| A L - P R P P I T X L Y P P I Y N C B E M G K S E W L D R C B R N S E P R S E
4_| W L D R C B R N S E N T S G N E N T X S E - C R S L E - C L T R S E W L D N C B E
5_| A L N L P N C B E T S M E L R S E R L S E @ R G L S N E A S N W L D N C B E
6_| ( N O P F S E N L S R E N C B E ) N T E G D D M N S E N C U R E R C B R N E
7_| _ _ _ _ _ ( T E N E T F R N E N C B R T S E N C B E I N G )
8_| _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ( F i R S E P R S E O N D E 7 1 N C B E )
9_| _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ( C D N S E P R S E O N S @ E 7 4 N C B E )
10| _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ( P R t S E P R S E O N R E D E 7 5 N C B E )
11| ( T F N a C M S P S O L E M R D E L U S E T O T E W L D N W L D N C B E )
12| _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _( 1 9 4 W L D ' S N C B E ) ( T R F X L )

Message P1 - Grid 2 (Positional no alignment)
__| _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 1 _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 2 _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 3 _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 4
__| 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0
0_| ( M N D M K N E A P S E - A - S M K N A R E ) ( A L S M N )
1_| @ T F R N E N P T N S E N P B S E R C B B N S E N P R S E 1 N C
2_| P R S E N M R S E @ P R E H L D W L D N C B E ( T F X L F T C X L N C B E )
3_| A L - P R P P I T X L Y P P I Y N C B E M G K S E W L D R C B R N S E P R S E
4_| W L D R C B R N S E N T S G N E N T X S E - C R S L E - C L T R S E W L D N C B E
5_| A L N L P N C B E T S M E L R S E R L S E @ R G L S N E A S N W L D N C B E
6_| ( N O P F S E N L S R E N C B E ) N T E G D D M N S E N C U R E R C B R N E
7_| ( T E N E T F R N E N C B R T S E N C B E I N G )
8_| ( F i R S E P R S E O N D E 7 1 N C B E )
9_| ( C D N S E P R S E O N S @ E 7 4 N C B E )
10| ( P R t S E P R S E O N R E D E 7 5 N C B E )
12| ( 1 9 4 W L D ' S N C B E ) ( T R F X L )
Old 04-01-2011, 12:50 PM

Here are some repeated sections:

TFRNE
SE
PRSE
NCBE
RNSE
TRSE
WLDN (wouldnt?)
WLD (would?)

It also looks as if it is grouped into 4 character segments for the most part.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dungbeatle View Post
Ok
8_| _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ( F i R S E P R S E O N D E 7 1 N C B E )
9_| _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ( C D N S E P R S E O N S @ E 7 4 N C B E )
10| _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ( P R t S E P R S E O N R E D E 7 5 N C B E )
12| _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _( 1 9 4 W L D ' S N C B E ) ( T R F X L )
8 First Person
9 Second Person
10 Third Person
Old 04-01-2011, 01:00 PM

oops

Quote:
Originally Posted by dungbeatle View Post

Oops just noticed the 2, 3, and 4, are off by one space.

Last edited by dungbeatle; 04-01-2011 at 01:02 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biotop View Post
I keep coming back to the question of why he is writing in code to begin with. Under what circumstances do people write two pages of notes to themselves? If no other members of the family/friends have any other of his "work", it seems logical to assume he didn't want others to read his writing. Of course he might have been under the influence of some drugs, and it really all is just jibberish.
I have an answer to that..he's writing it for the same reason I'm writing my diary in a code..It's because I don't want anybody I know (my family for starters) to read it, but a person who is REALLY interested in what I had to say..My family would draw wrong conclusions from the things I wrote down,but the person that tries so hard to decipher the same,would also have a brain to stop and think why I wrote the things I wrote That person would want to help..
It drags one another

Also,you seem to not pay attention to the original note,but only look at Word example that is full of flaws..for instance..did you notice that he writes certain letters smaller than others? It keeps repeating troughout the notes..also, he keeps writing letter m in small caps..

A true question for FBI would be: who drew those lines around text pieces with obvious intention to make a sense of it?
a) Did the victim did it? If so, he was obviously aware that the notes will be found,so he tried to help the person who would decipher it.
b) Did the police/FBI did it while trying to solve it? I doubt because it would be considered tampering with the evidence..
c) Did the killer did it? What would be his motive?

My guess is a)
Why?
I always look at things from my perspective (duh) what if I were him..When I write a lot of things on one sheet of paper,like a lot of reminders,but in a time seperated sequence, I tend to separate 'em with lines,just to not confuse myself..especially if I have an intention to rewrite them later somewhere 'safe' (read diary)
I heard once that there is a whole branch of experts that specialize in research of texts and can detect when was something written, was person under stress at the time, was a certain part written before,or later..I'm surprised they didn't check notes in that way..that would certainly help a lot.

Also, part with numbers 99.84.8 2 could be a map location (latitude and longitude)

Hmm..just googled one part,and found this-->http://www.castigliola.com/index.php...d=123&Itemid=1
It seems somebody solved it, and it actually sounds reasonable..
Old 04-01-2011, 01:07 PM

These are Test Scores
Old 04-01-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1234 View Post
These are Test Scores
Must have been Spring Semester... Started off strong, but like the rest of us, began to wain as a heavy case of Spring Fever set in.

Last edited by dungbeatle; 04-01-2011 at 01:15 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:19 PM

It seems he was keeping track of his seizure episodes and medications he was taking by noting only first of the letters in words...
Old 04-01-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrael7 View Post
It seems he was keeping track of his seizure episodes and medications he was taking by noting only first of the letters in words...
Interesting....I noticed the NCBE last night when web crawling.

This is taken from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2825368/
and deals with neuropsychopharmaca:

Quote:
The functional knockout of NHE1, AE3 and NCBE in animal models led to the development of altered neuronal activity and/or changed susceptibility to epileptogenic drugs, even though the steady-state pHi was not significantly changed (Cox et al., 1997; Gu et al., 2001; Hentschke et al., 2006; Jacobs et al., 2008).
So was he epileptic?

Anyone found a Coroners report or Autopsy Summary on his death. I know they don't release details but usually generic cause of death.

If the answer has already be posted, I plead lazy and I am ready to be flogged.....
Old 04-01-2011, 01:54 PM

another option

r=are, se-n=seeing, un are=unaware

r=are, ne=any

se=see, nm=no more pre-wld=pre world or wld=would

al=all, rppit=rip it, x=across, wld=would, nse=not see, prse=person

wld=would, rnse=rinse, n=in, t=the sgnen=second

al=all, wld=would, n=not, c=see, rlse=or else, ur=your, as=as, n=in

ndpfse=no difference, n=in "nlsre and ncdg"<----(a possible hint to his code, if u figure out nlsre or ncdg u will have the alternate word)gddmnsen=god damn sense

t=to, se=see

firse=first, pase=pass, on=on, de=the,

cdn=second, se=see, prse=person, on=on, de=the

prt=partly, se=see, t=third, prse=person, on=on
(PRTSE TRSE ON REDE 75 NCBE)

mrde=murder, luse=loose, to=to, te=the, wld=world

wld=would
(194 WLD's NCBE) (TRFXL)
Old 04-01-2011, 02:38 PM

one thing to keep in mind about languages, the most complex languages are the ones that are learned by people born into them, languages like english/french/whatever that have a long history of new learners tend to get simpler over time.

this could be a super complex code since he was never going to teach it to anyone else.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerjack View Post
Anyone see this?

http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2011...nalysis_032911

Seems the FBI needs some help solving a decade old cold murder case. These notes were found in the pocket of the deceased.
They killed Ricky?!

You bastards!
Old 04-01-2011, 03:13 PM

The FBI doesn't want to give too many clues out lest a cold case become even colder. However, the following things are almost absolutely necessary to know in order to crack the code:
  • What he did for a living
  • Any cell phone records
  • If he was planning on making any big-ticket purchases
  • The nature of any mental illnesses he may have had (especially paranoia and/or OCD)
  • If he had any known enemies
  • His hobbies
  • Places and establishments he was known to frequent
  • If he was dyslexic or dysgraphic
Pretty much all of these could be answered by the family (except maybe his enemies).

In any event, in my speculation:
  • The parentheses separate distinct thoughts or ideas.
  • I think that he took the vowels out of words he didn't have a specific code for. I think |SGNENTRSE| is "signature" and |GDDMNSEN| is "goddamn". |EN| is added to both of these, probably as meaningless text to confuse a reader. |SE| also appears, but shows up at the end of a lot of the words... it probably means something... I'm thinking it's self-referential, like "I" or "my".
  • The line |WLD RCB RNSE N T SGNENTRSE - CRSLE - CTTRSE WLD NCBE| is particularly interesting to me. |WLD| isn't "would", "world", or "wild"... he uses it far too often to have just taken the vowels out of it. "Went" or "want" seems more likely. |NCBE| appears a lot with |WLD|, so I'm thinking it's "went home" or want to go home".

I think the line says, "Went/want [somewhere/someone] to [do something], they needed my signature - seriously - [something] and went home/want to go home."

|RNSE| only appears once in both notes, so whatever he was doing, it was very infrequent or only once.
  • Quote:
    (CDNSE PRSE ONSE 74 NCBE)
    (PRTSG TRSE ON REDE 75 NCBE)
    (194 WLD's NCBE) (TRFXL)
    Directions or prices? Buying something for the house? |TRFXL| and |TFXLF TCXLN CBE| from earlier in the note seem to be similar thoughts.

The second note's even more difficult. I'll take a look at it later on.

Last edited by Agent Foxtrot; 04-01-2011 at 03:14 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:58 PM

This is easy.
These are Microsoft product codes.
I successfully registered Windows 7 Ultimate with
YLSE-MTSE-CTSE-WSE-FRTSE
Old 04-01-2011, 06:01 PM

Sorry.
It is April 1st here!
Old 04-01-2011, 11:40 PM

Just my thoughts. First the guy was a high school drop out, so I wouldn't expect him to be a Rhodes Scholar. Secondly, it appears that note one is refering to directions to NCBE, which appears to be National City Bank of Evanston, because the route from St. Louis to Evanston includes driving on I-94, not 194. Note 2 seems to refer to directions, possibly to Sparks, Nevada and Hwy 395. I say this because possibly the reference to WLD that he uses so often means Win, Lose or Draw, which is a Nevada casino term.

Just a couple of thoughts.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:51 AM

My theory on these notes are that they are indeed written in a form of shorthand, and people like US_SOLDIER may be onto something with how Ricky McCormick may have read them.

Not so much on this forum, but others have asked "where there even computers than?" and I don't know if they're joking or not. 1999 was the year before the Y2K scare and was still in the height of computer sales, people signing up for the Internet and AOL, ect...

The reason that I bring up the computers is that on another forum someone referred that the last circled bit on the "NOTES" page "D-W-M-Y MIL XDRLX" (as is the common interpretation as I've seen) the "XDRLX" could possibly be chat room type for XD = smiling/grinning and RLX = relax. This got me thinking about my old chat room days and I remember seeing ASL (Age, Sex, Location) all of the time. So what if "D-W-M-Y MIL" is really "D-W-M 14 1986" and possibly stood for Date-White(race,or With)-Male 14 (age) 1986 (when he was told the person was born, I got 13 doing it in my head but allot of kids tend to say they're a year older even if it's a day past their birthday) or something similar. With the fact that almost everyone agrees that there seems to be directions or at-least an address in the notes, I'm thinking these could be notes from a chat session setting up a meeting and possibly describing what he/they intended to do at or after this meeting.

Another forum had posted (I couldn't register there so I chose here instead) a list of possible convictions that showed up for Ricky McCormick in the St. Louis area and it included statutory rape of someone under 14 years of age in 1992 I believe (http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho....php?p=6274133 for reference). So he does have a history of sexual assault on minors, this help leads me to think there is a chance his death and the "awkward" place his body was recovered could possibly have been caused from him meeting another predator at this location, the kids family caught him while at the location, or possibly a disagreement with an accomplice. The bad thing about this theory is even if the notes are deciphered and identifiable information (screen name, ect...), there's little if no chance of recovering the logs used during the chat sessions.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:01 AM

Side note: I'm a high school drop out, granted I took my GED after a few years of dropping out, I'm certified with various CompTIA, MCTS, and CWNP certifications. Granted from the picture I saw of him he didn't look like the brightest person, it looked like a mug shot and from personal experience no one looks good in mug shots. That said, I think people are looking WAY too much into this high school drop out stuff... If anything don't say high school drop out means he's stupid, but the fact it seems he may have spent time in a mental facility or something along those lines to judge his mental ability (there's been more than a few high school or college drop outs that became millionaires or shined in professions that requires thinking.

Sorry about the new post, I exceeded the time limit alloted to make edits to a post in my original post but felt this should be said.

Last edited by n01h3r3; 04-02-2011 at 01:02 AM.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n01h3r3 View Post
Side note: I'm a high school drop out, granted I took my GED after a few years of dropping out, I'm certified with various CompTIA, MCTS, and CWNP certifications. Granted from the picture I saw of him he didn't look like the brightest person, it looked like a mug shot and from personal experience no one looks good in mug shots. That said, I think people are looking WAY too much into this high school drop out stuff... If anything don't say high school drop out means he's stupid, but the fact it seems he may have spent time in a mental facility or something along those lines to judge his mental ability (there's been more than a few high school or college drop outs that became millionaires or shined in professions that requires thinking.

Sorry about the new post, I exceeded the time limit alloted to make edits to a post in my original post but felt this should be said.
I agree with you, him being a high school dropout is really irrelevant,it only means he was doing smth else with that time,and skipped too much classes..
It has got nothing to do with his intelligence.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:42 PM

Disregarding the final Es, here are some guesses:

TFRNE N8TNSE - to foreign nation's

PRPPIT XLY - property actually

MGKSE - making case

SGNENTRSE - signatures

GDDMNSEN - goddamn

CUREREBRNE - cure reborn? curare?

NCRQ - and see our cue

(TRFXL) - try fax letter

TF NACMSP - try for national CMSP

SOLE MRDE - sole murder

ALPNTE GLSE - Alpine, Global Locating System

YLSE MTSE - why else mountains

CSTE-WSE-FRTSE - central standard time, western standard, fronts

aaaaaand, ADHD takes over. That's all I got.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:51 PM

to me it seems like an IP address i have been working with computers alot lately and it looks like one to me (99.84.8 2)
Old 04-03-2011, 02:17 AM

One of the news articles I read said they believe the notes were written within 3 days of his death.
My question is how would they know this? Maybe it was folded in a receipt?
Old 04-03-2011, 02:19 AM

I also looked in the SSI index-and was surprised to find no one by this name who died in June 1999. I wonder why. That is a puzzle as well.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:21 AM

[QUOTE=kasper;13639544]Please...know thy puzzle! Check the SSI death index, ther is no 1 this age, name, place and date.

I looked it up in the SSI as well. Found it quite strange no listing!
Old 04-03-2011, 02:31 AM

I was Googling around and found this fantastic message board so I registered. Forgive me if I make mistakes while replying and posting.

A couple of thoughts on the two "puzzles"

First, I decided to assume writing codes became fascinating after something he may have read in school so I looked up popular children's books with secret codes. I found a few but my search was very brief. I was thinking maybe he copied a little of the code used in a book and then mastered it and made it his own: changed a few things but still kept it close to the original.

Second-how is it that his family knew of his code writing but apparently ignored it? If they knew he was doing it his whole life why didn't someone keep it. Did he destroy them? How is it the FBI only have the two found on his body and, if he was writing them his whole life, why is there not at least ONE more SOMEWHERE....
I am hoping the huge interest in this case will prompt the FBI to release more info.

I also looked up where they found his body in relation to the area. I was trying to see if there were any roads with those numbers-as in directions.

It is also strange that the news report says "even if it is only a recipe or love letter we want to know" (basically so they can add the code to their database I assume.
QUESTION: Why would they pre-empt (sp?) attempts with that psuedo-disclaimer. Did he like to cook? Was he known for writing love letters.

Overall, I think until more information is given to us amateur sleuths and code-breakers, the puzzle will not get solved. I also think it may be more of a shorthand with random word and line breaks (that darn letter E!)

Oh, as I am looking at the notes again: Sometimes it appears as if there is a letter N and other times its a very small N-maybe it's not a small N but an ~
Also, his E's are sometimes three stroke E's (imagine writing an L then two more lines to make an E) and sometimes two strokes (a C with a line in the center to make what APPEARS to be an E but perhaps it is not)
Just some thoughts. Anyone want to add?
Old 04-03-2011, 02:47 AM

Not everyone is listed in the Social Security Death Index. In order to be listed the Social Security Administration would have had to have been notified of his death. I read a blurb on wikipedia (not sure how much of it is truth) that said he sometimes lived with his elderly mother, didn't work and wasn't married. If no one filed a social security claim or it social security didn't pay anything out he wouldn't have been listed.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:32 AM

Was there a flash-mob or something arranged to appear in this thread? Do a lot of you know each other from somewhere else, perhaps? Or is Google somehow bringing you all here independently?

Sorry, but these questions are more interesting to me than the incoherent scribbled ramblings of someone who seems to have died of natural causes over a decade ago.

Though, I gotta say, I might just write up a bunch of cryptic scribblings to keep in my pocket for when I die. That way there will be a whole bunch of mystery, and random people puzzling over me and my life, long after I'm gone. The only thing that would suck is that I wouldn't be around to enjoy seeing all the crazy theories people come up with in their attempts to make sense of the nonsensical.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:44 AM

Seriously? The kid sounds like a classic schizo.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
On June 30, 1999, sheriff’s officers in St. Louis, Missouri discovered the body of 41-year-old Ricky McCormick. He had been murdered and dumped in a field. The only clues regarding the homicide were two encrypted notes found in the victim’s pants pockets.
I donno about dying of natural causes, but this thread did kind of turn into a jizzy dork fest.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenPained View Post
I donno about dying of natural causes, but this thread did kind of turn into a jizzy dork fest.
Oh thanks for the correction. I had actually read that bit on the FBI site from the OP. But then I read the contemporaneous news story that was also linked down thread that said:

Quote:
But how McCormick died and ended up where he did is still a mystery. Maj. Tom O'Connor of the Major Case Squad said authorities were treating the suspicious death as if it were a homicide. A medical examiner has not been able to determine an exact cause of death yet. An initial medical examination found no obvious gunshot or knife wounds, he said.
McCormick, who was identified by his fingerprints, suffered from chronic heart and lung problems, O'Connor said, and authorities have not ruled out the possibility that his health may have contributed to his death.
<snip>
He was last seen alive late in the afternoon of June 25 at Forest Park Hospital in St. Louis, the former Deaconess Hospital, where he was receiving medication from his doctor, O'Connor said. No one had reported him missing, he said.
<snip>
O'Connor said authorities found no evidence of fights or disagreements McCormick might have had.
"We cannot find any motive for his death, " he said. "We're not absolutely sure that this is a homicide."
It was early, so I forgot the more recent assertion of definitive homicide by the FBI.

Last edited by voltaire; 04-03-2011 at 09:38 AM.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltaire View Post
It was early, so I forgot the more recent assertion of definitive homicide by the FBI.

Today was the first time I bothered to read the article. I thought it was stupid.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:42 PM

I think WLD could be someones initials
At the end of one of the letters it says "WLD'S" which makes me think its someones name
Old 04-04-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenPained View Post

This thread did kind of turn into a jizzy dork fest.

Today was the first time I bothered to read the article. I thought it was stupid.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:13 PM

Coded to Heart and Lung Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by US_SOLDIER View Post
r=are, se-n=seeing, un are=unaware

r=are, ne=any

se=see, nm=no more pre-wld=pre world or wld=would

al=all, rppit=rip it, x=across, wld=would, nse=not see, prse=person

wld=would, rnse=rinse, n=in, t=the sgnen=second

al=all, wld=would, n=not, c=see, rlse=or else, ur=your, as=as, n=in

ndpfse=no difference, n=in "nlsre and ncdg"<----(a possible hint to his code, if u figure out nlsre or ncdg u will have the alternate word)gddmnsen=god damn sense

t=to, se=see

firse=first, pase=pass, on=on, de=the,

cdn=second, se=see, prse=person, on=on, de=the

prt=partly, se=see, t=third, prse=person, on=on
(PRTSE TRSE ON REDE 75 NCBE)

mrde=murder, luse=loose, to=to, te=the, wld=world

wld=would
(194 WLD's NCBE) (TRFXL)
Remember, the articles and the police report stated that McCormick had heart and lung issues? What if these notes were related to him documenting any health episodes he had recently had and the dosages of his meds? Also, he was found on July 22. What if 71 was July 1, 74 July 4, 75 July 5?

I don't think it's code. Probably his own shorthand and could be written in a sort of journaling format. I also don't believe that the solution that is posted is accurate. There was no mention of McCormick having mental issues he was being treated for, only that he had written notes in this form since childhood.

~star*
Old 04-08-2011, 09:52 AM

Some observations

Hello everybody,
I just signed in to try to give my help to the solution of the "code". I hope these considerations could be useful.

First: it is very important to me to observe that the two sheets, where the code is, were written in different moments; more, the first part of "notes" is written before the second (I mean in a completely different time, as several hours or days), while the second one, consisting of 4 baloons, seems to be a unique body.
I can argue that by looking carefully at his writing style: very relaxed and precise in the first sheet (see i.e. the sentences in brackets'location), very disturbed in the second one, and the second part of this even leaning to a contrary position of the first sheet, it'irregular, reaveals some kind of anxiety.
This is going to blast all the theories leading to driving informations, medical ones and stuff like that, as we'll see.

Second: this is definitely not a code: at the very beginning of the first page, first line (TFRNE N'9t NSE NPBSE R CBRN SE N PRSE INC) and in the very last one (<194 WLD'S NCBE) (JRFXL>), he's evidently imploying an apostrophe and a saxon genitive: this is enough to me. We also have to keep in mind what kind of person we are talking about: a person involved in violence for years, just realeased from jail, with drug problem (he probably died for an overdose), low insctruction level and son: it sounds strange that such a person when writing fast notes for his personal use is going to employ very complex and hard encrypting systems. I think that it would be more real if this person is going to write with abbreviations or with words that makes sense to him in anyway. I am often used when I have to do something to write down a list like that:
- buy the bread
- call the doctor
once I did, I write next the list objects a word like "done" or "ok", or whatelse:
- buy the bread done (I could have written also "d"...)
- call the doctor call tomorrow (or "ct"...)
That NCBE, apparently used in a long time row, often at the end of a sentence, remind me of what above. I think that the man was simply using some abbreviations or, anyway, a kind of personal stenography, so there is not a code in the proper meaning of the word. I think all of this was made with the purpose to speed his writing, not to encrypt the sense of it (even if the result is an encrypted text).
Before I go more far, I would like to post my reading of the text of the two sheets:

PAGE ONE

1- (MNDMUNEARSE-U-STA-UNARE) (ACSM)
2- TFRNE N'9t NSE NPBSE R CBRN SE N PRSE INC
3- PRSE NmRSE OPRE HLD WLD NCBE (TFXLF TCXL NCBE)
4- AL-PRPPIT XLY987Y NCBE mGKSE WLD R CBRN SE PRSE
5- WLD R CBRN SE N T SE NENTXSE-GRSLE-CZ TRSE WLD NCBE
6- AL WLD NCBE TSmE LISE RLSE VQG LSNE AS N WLD NCBE
7- (NOPFSE NLSRE NCBE) NTE GDD MNSE NCURE R CBRN E
8- (TENE TFRNE NCBR TSE NCBE INC)
9- (FIRSE PRSE ON DE71 NCBE)
10- (CDNSE PRSE ON SE74 NCBE)
11- (PRtSE tRSE ON REDE75 NCBE)
12- (TFNR CmSP SOLE mRDE LUSE TOTE WLD N WLD NCBE)
13- <194 WLD'S NCBE) (JRFXL>

NOTES

1- ALPNTE GLSE-SE ERTE
2- YLSE mTSE-CTSE-WSE-FR TSE
3- PNR TRSE ON PRSE WLD NCBE
4- N WLD XLRC mSPNE WLD STS mE XL
5- DUL mTGT UNSE NCBE XL
------------------------------------
6- (mUNS AISTEN mU NARSE)
7- RLSE-LRSTE-TRSE-TRSE-mRSEN-mRSE
8- (SAE6NSE SE NmRSE)
9- NMNK CBRN SE PtE 2pTE WSRC BREZE
10- 26m2SE 74 SPRK SE 29KENO SOLE 175R TRSE
11- 35 GLE CLGSE NUNUTXE DKQSE PSESHLE
12- 651 mTLSE HTLSE NCUT CTRS NmRF
13- 99.84.5 2UNEPLSE UCRSE AOKTSE NSKSE NBSE
14- NSRE ON SE PVTSE WLD NCBE (JX9RL)
15- NmSE NRSE INZ NTQLE QCB RNSE NTSR CR5NE
16- LSPNSE NGSPSE mKSE RBSE NCBE AV XLR
17- HmCRE NMRE NCBE 1/2 MUND PLSE
18- D-W-M-Y MIL XDRLX

As I told above we can find a saxon genitive in the text at the very last line: <194 WLD'S NCBE) (JRFXL>
it means that the word "WLD" is without any doubt a substantive. It can't be "would" as I read in many posts. It has to be something else we don't know. World? Some kind of Lawyer Department? A...?
Probably also NCBE could be a substantive at this point.
Another thing is interesting of this line, the number at the end: we know that the value of the saxon genitive WLD'S NCBE is probably JRFXL. It's interesting now to notice that line 14 in "notes", written in a completely different time, as told, is reporting that the value WLD NCBE (without saxon genitive) is now JXDRL. 4 letters of whose are the same of the number at the end of line 18. What is it? A password? A reference number for, exemplum, a bet? An invoice? It also means that an important element, as it appears to be, has (dramatically) changed at a certain time.
Lets go back to the beginning of page 1.
It seems the first 6 lines are telling a story or anyway a consequent series of events: it starts saying that a TFRNE, probably in 90es, NSE NPBSE R CBRN SE N PRSE INC. This INC appears once again in line 8, where the word TFRNE also once replicate. Is it a society too? Is he already talking abouit WLD?
We also find for the first time the word PRSE, which also opens the following line. This word is prominent in this first page but totally absent in "notes". I think that for its positioning it possibly is a verb, or an acronymous hiding a verb or an activity. It seems to be in contrast with the word TRSE, another action word probably.
You can see by yourself other similar things. Anyway the second parts, in brackets, of page on, seems to be a close examination of the first, or details relating to it.
I read an interesting post in another forum who related these sentences to sport bets (in particular to some matches of Saint Louis football teams in 1999). It is a possibility.

Tha page "notes" starts, to me, speaking of how the situation in page 1 evolved, or anyway with something again related to WLD. Did he lost (a lot of) money?
Anyway the situation drastically changes. We see it, as I said from his handwriting style: lines are sharp, irregular, late sentences are added, a unique baloon consisting of 4 sub-baloons. It seems these are the last words written by McCormick.
As told, we find a new value for WLD NCBE. Probably numbers for bets (it seems line 10 is refering to a St.Louis Cardinal result (lost 17-5) in match they played the 7/4/99 (see line 10 in page 1).
I found it, as told, in a post on another forum:

"Taking a look at the other page of code, I saw the 71, 74, and 75 lines. And I have a different thought that I haven't seen discussed yet in this thread. (Maybe I just missed it.) This man died in the last week of June, 1999. It's entirely possible these numbers, in that context, could represent 7/1, 7/2, and 7/4 ie dates in the upcoming week. Maybe they refer to upcoming appointments.

Taking the bookie angle again, I looked to see if there could be a sports connection. Maybe they represent upcoming games.

(FLRSE PQSE ONDE 71 NCBE)
Maybe this is FLR = short for FLoRida Marlins. They played an away game on 7/1. They lost 6-3.

(PRTSE PRSE ONREDE 75 NCBE)
Maybe this is another abbreviation he used. PRT = Pittsburgh PiRaTes. They lost a home game on 7/5 which was 5-2. Hmmm a coincidence with the 52 above.

Finally, (CDNSE PQSE ONSDE 74 NCBE)
Perhaps CDN was his abbreviation for the St Louis CarDiNals. They lost a home game on 7/4 17-5.

-------

Now to address a conspiracy theory that some MLB games are fixed or that some super genius betting group can predict scores in advance for betting, I took at look at the numbers to see if this was a sheet of betting instructions with predicted scores on the above games. What can I say? I was trying to be thorough.

Looking at 26 MLSE 74 SPRKSE 29KCNOB,OLE 175 RTRSE
35 GLE CLGSE UUNUTKEBKRSE PSESHLE

We can see the 17-5 score. The other scores are close to numbers listed, but not an exact match. I don't personally feel this is likely, but just throwing it out to the community since I noticed the data."
here: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho....php?p=6296770

I also liked the post in this threas of this forum finding Mitchell's Hotel in S.Louis in line 12, probably room 651: was he going to meet someone in there? Someone related to/involved with hid loss of money in sport bets?

I think this is all athe moment. I am really far from understanding what McCormick really wrote. But I hope that what above will inspire someone.
Greetings and thanks for reading.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:14 AM

I forgot

Line 10 of page "notes", as in many posts I read on Internet already found out, 26m2SE 74 SPRK SE 29KENO SOLE 175R TRSE
is probably referring to a horse named kenosole, being kenos- the prename of a number of horses at that time.
This probably confirming that the text of the pages is probably talking about bets.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:21 AM

Correction, line 14

14- NSRE ON SE PVTSE WLD NCBE (JXDRL)
Old 04-08-2011, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBCB View Post
Has anyone got any thoughts on the very bottom line of the second note?

"D-W-M-Y MIL XDRLX"

Date-week-month-year? If this is correct, it just troubles me that's it's not coded, as there's no numbers there. Could it be a template for something/someone??

Just a thought!
Total WAG ahead.

Well, MIL could be interpreted as a (techinically incorrect, but parseable and calculable) Roman number, 1049 (1000+50-1). The correct Roman number would be MXLIV. XDRLX looks suspiciously like another Roman number, but it includes R, which is not a valid Roman numeral to my knowledge. Ignoring it and taking XDLX, that would be an incorrect form of 550 (500-10+50+10).

So, D-W-M-Y 1049 550?

Perhaps the 1st day of the 0th week of the 4th month, 9550? So, April 1, 9550. Was he an SF fan?

Or, treating the R as a divider, D-W-M-Y 1049 490 60

Last edited by robert_columbia; 04-08-2011 at 08:05 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_columbia View Post
Total WAG ahead.

Well, MIL could be interpreted as a (techinically incorrect, but parseable and calculable) Roman number, 1049 (1000+50-1). The correct Roman number would be MXLIV. XDRLX looks suspiciously like another Roman number, but it includes R, which is not a valid Roman numeral to my knowledge. Ignoring it and taking XDLX, that would be an incorrect form of 550 (500-10+50+10).

So, D-W-M-Y 1049 550?

Perhaps the 1st day of the 0th week of the 4th month, 9550? So, April 1, 9550. Was he an SF fan?

Or, treating the R as a divider, D-W-M-Y 1049 490 60
So, and this is getting really bizaare, take a substitution and substitute "April 1, 9550" for April 1, FOOL". 9=F, 5=O, 0=L.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:53 PM

I've been reading what you all have to say and something has caught my eye and I wanted your opinion.
Barbariccia stated:
"As I told above we can find a saxon genitive in the text at the very last line: <194 WLD'S NCBE) (JRFXL>
it means that the word "WLD" is without any doubt a substantive. It can't be "would" as I read in many posts. It has to be something else we don't know. World? Some kind of Lawyer Department? A...?"
Probably also NCBE could be a substantive at this point."
NCBE is mentioned 13 times on the 1st document and 5 times on the 2nd document. I did a web search on NCBE and came up with National Conference of Bar Examiners (NCBE). http://www.ncbex.org/
I'm not sure if this will help any, but I hope it does.

Last edited by ambersun; 04-09-2011 at 05:56 PM.