Old 02-05-2019, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
So what you're saying, then, is that Democrats are acting quite unfairly towards Democrats. Not sure why you're concerned about that.

And if your concern is for the voters that the Dems might be pre-empting, well, we got polls.

In January, Northam's fav-unfav among Virginia voters was 48-26; now it's 29-48. From +22 to -19 - that's one hell of a swing. So it seems like the voters are ready to see him gone.
Why dont we wait until all the fact are in, first. He has now denied even being in those pictures. If he isnt in them, why call for his lynching?
Old 02-05-2019, 01:20 PM

Why say lynching? We're talking about a guy posing in a Black face/KKK picture and you still think it's appropriate to substitute "lynching" for "calls to step down from office"?
Old 02-05-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
Why dont we wait until all the fact are in, first. He has now denied even being in those pictures. If he isnt in them, why call for his lynching?
If his first statement was "I never did that, I have no idea how that got into my yearbook, and Yearbook? We had yearbooks in medical college? This is the first I heard of that, I've never even seen, much less opened my "college yearbook."

And then we contact the editor or whoever put it together, and they say, "Yeah, we just thought it would be funny to put that picture in there, because it is so opposite of the guy that we know, we thought it would be funny. We expected him to get angry about it, but apparently, he never saw it."

Then we'd all have a laugh about it, and put it behind us.

But instead, he said, "Yaeh, that was me, I dressed up in blackface" "Oh wait, that's *not* me, that's not the time i dressed up in blackface."

Yeah, loses credibility fast.

ETA: and , once again, not calling for a lynching. Calling him to step down from a position of responsibility and leadership where he acts as an example and role model.
that's not lynching. Get that word out of your vocabulary of hyperbole, if you want to be taken seriously in this.

Last edited by k9bfriender; 02-05-2019 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
If his first statement was "I never did that, I have no idea how that got into my yearbook, and Yearbook? We had yearbooks in medical college? This is the first I heard of that, I've never even seen, much less opened my "college yearbook."

And then we contact the editor or whoever put it together, and they say, "Yeah, we just thought it would be funny to put that picture in there, because it is so opposite of the guy that we know, we thought it would be funny. We expected him to get angry about it, but apparently, he never saw it."

Then we'd all have a laugh about it, and put it behind us.

But instead, he said, "Yaeh, that was me, I dressed up in blackface" "Oh wait, that's *not* me, that's not the time i dressed up in blackface."

Yeah, loses credibility fast.
He didnt say that if you listen or check his actual words. He admitted it was wrong to show up like that in a quick and impromptu blurb.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Having to resign from an elected office is not comparable to lynching in any way. You have a fundamental right not to be subject to extrajudicial punishment or murder. That's not what's happening here.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:50 PM

So, I must ask, sans a profuse apology, is the entire cast and crew of 2008's Tropic Thunder disqualified for political office, or just Robert Downy Junior? They used blackface not just for laughs, but for profit. And 2008 is far beyond the "they didn't know any better back then" excuse. In fact, I'm sure that was in there to specifically to be edgy.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
He didnt say that if you listen or check his actual words. He admitted it was wrong to show up like that in a quick and impromptu blurb.
I think you are confusing his second video statement with his initial written statement. This is how his initial statement was reported (identically) in numerous news sources:

Quote:
Earlier today, a website published a photograph of me from my 1984 medical school yearbook in a costume that is clearly racist and offensive.

I am deeply sorry for the decision I made to appear as I did in this photo and for the hurt that decision caused then and now.
In any event, are you suggesting that we shouldn't take an initial statement at face value because it was a "quick and impromptu blurb"? That's utterly ridiculous. If you were accused of something devastating and potentially career-ending, are you suggesting that you might make a careless admission of something that never happened without proper consideration?

It's not only the original events that he needs to explain. He needs to explain his bizarre contradictory statements in the 48 hours following the initial disclosure. The longer he goes without providing some plausible exculpatory account, the more likely it seems that no such explanation exists.

Last edited by Riemann; 02-05-2019 at 01:54 PM.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
I am aware that that was not what he said, that's why I said "If he said".
Old 02-05-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Passing a recall statute that doesn't grandfather in the current officeholder sets a really bad precedent.
True but at least it can ensure there is a solution the next time it happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemann View Post
There is a statute, I posted details here:

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...&postcount=132
That really isn't a recall election though, is it.

-Richard Hariss
Old 02-05-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Cad View Post
That really isn't a recall election though, is it.
Ah, okay. There's a procedure for recall, but it's not a recall election.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

Does he go back to private life after two more years of embarrassment for the state and the party and the country as well as himself, or does he go now? That's all it comes to for him.
Charter Member

Quote:
Because he's lost all support within his own party as well as from the public. He can technically serve as governor without the support of his party, but he can't do jack shit. So he's doing the Commonwealth no favors by staying.

And of course, if he stays, it's gonna make it harder for the Dems to re-take the state legislature this fall, so he's doing his party no favors by staying.

The only person who benefits from his staying is him. And only temporarily. The longer he stays, the more antipathy his own partisans will feel towards him. I suppose he could eke out a pathetic Liebermanesque post-officeholding career, but it would indeed be pathetic.
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtura View Post
So, I must ask, sans a profuse apology, is the entire cast and crew of 2008's Tropic Thunder disqualified for political office, or just Robert Downy Junior? They used blackface not just for laughs, but for profit.
Addressed back in post #174-175. There is a pretty stark difference which seems obvious to me. You don't see it?
Old 02-05-2019, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Because he's lost all support within his own party as well as from the public. He can technically serve as governor without the support of his party, but he can't do jack shit. So he's doing the Commonwealth no favors by staying.

And of course, if he stays, it's gonna make it harder for the Dems to re-take the state legislature this fall, so he's doing his party no favors by staying.
So, if he is not in those pictures, you want him to resign anyway?
Old 02-05-2019, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

It was wrong then and it's wrong now but let's be honest nobody cared back then. I recall more than one particularly embarrassing incident where I was egged on by others to participate. Punishing him for it is ridiculous.
It was pretty moronic for him to admit it then deny it though.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I think you are confusing his second video statement with his initial written statement. This is how his initial statement was reported (identically) in numerous news sources:

In any event, are you suggesting that we shouldn't take an initial statement at face value because it was a "quick and impromptu blurb"? That's utterly ridiculous. If you were accused of something devastating and potentially career-ending, are you suggesting that you might make a careless admission of something that never happened without proper consideration?

It's not only the original events that he needs to explain. He needs to explain his bizarre contradictory statements in the 48 hours following the initial disclosure. The longer he goes without providing some plausible exculpatory account, the more likely it seems that no such explanation exists.
I showed that to DrDeth a couple of pages ago. He doesn't seem to want to admit that the Gov changed his story.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajario View Post
I showed that to DrDeth a couple of pages ago. He doesn't seem to want to admit that the Gov changed his story.
Yes, he did. But in the first he made unclear statements over what picture he was talking about. In the later statement, he was clear.

but again-So, if he is not in those pictures, you want him to resign anyway?

Last edited by DrDeth; 02-05-2019 at 02:35 PM.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
And I suppose someone foisted the 'Coonman' nickname on him at VMI without his knowledge as well, which AFAICT he has made no attempt to explain.

Finally, it's fundamentally not about him. This is not a criminal proceeding; it's the governorship of the Commonwealth of Virginia. Can he lead any more? No, he can't. Then he needs to step out of the way.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
And even if it was all about him, shouldn't it be: "So, if he is not in those pictures, and someone else put them on his yearbook page either against his will or without his knowledge, you want him to resign anyway?"

Because I don't care whether he's in those pictures, if it was his choice that they be part of his yearbook page.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamerlane View Post
Addressed back in post #174-175. There is a pretty stark difference which seems obvious to me. You don't see it?
Not really, no. The fact is Tropic Thunder got laughs (an money) off black face. Don't forget this is the movie that brought us the gem "Never go full retard", so I don't view this as a move whose primary purpose was to forward ploitically correct enlightened thinking. I really don't think the POINT of the blackface in that movie was to enlighten people about how blackface is bad. The point of it was for edgy, low-brow humor. And I think the point of the blackface in that yearbook was for low-brow humor as well. Do we really think whoever was in that picture was in blackface the next day too? I mean, maybe, if the dancing contest was the next day.

There's another thread around here who's basic consensus is there's basiscally no legitimate excuse for a white person to paint their skin brown. I don't see how that movie is an exception.

Last edited by Ashtura; 02-05-2019 at 03:00 PM.
Old 02-05-2019, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

I think we can agree that we'd never vote for Robert Downey Jr. for a position of public trust.
Old 02-05-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Not really, no. The fact is Tropic Thunder got laughs (an money) off black face. Don't forget this is the movie that brought us the gem "Never go full retard", so I don't view this as a move whose primary purpose was to forward ploitically correct enlightened thinking. I really don't think the POINT of the blackface in that movie was to enlighten people about how blackface is bad. The point of it was for edgy, low-brow humor. And I think the point of the blackface in that yearbook was for low-brow humor as well. Do we really think whoever was in that picture was in blackface the next day too? I mean, maybe, if the dancing contest was the next day.
I think that you are wrong on this, and that at least one of the messages that one should come away from that movie si that blackface is something that needs to be handled with more care. Did he not get flak, in the very movie, for having it?

Sounds a sound lesson to me, though I could see how it would be missed by those focussing more on the color of the skin, rather than why the color of the skin.
Quote:
There's another thread around here who's basic consensus is there's basiscally no legitimate excuse for a white person to paint their skin brown. I don't see how that movie is an exception.
Really, where is that thread? There is a thread where we talk about how it is very rare that such a thing is acceptable, and even list Tropic thunder as one of those, but I've not seen the one you refer to. Cite?
Old 02-05-2019, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
And I suppose someone foisted the 'Coonman' nickname on him at VMI without his knowledge as well, which AFAICT he has made no attempt to explain.

Finally, it's fundamentally not about him. This is not a criminal proceeding; it's the governorship of the Commonwealth of Virginia. Can he lead any more? No, he can't. Then he needs to step out of the way.
He actually did explain. And yes, nicknames are often foisted upon you without your knowledge or consent. Not to mention, there are other reasons for "coon" than the racist one, like say coon hunting.

So, even if he's not guilty, you want him to resign?

Last edited by DrDeth; 02-05-2019 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-05-2019, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

What's this "if" nonsense? Did he apologize for something or didn't he?

Last edited by ElvisL1ves; 02-05-2019 at 03:57 PM.
Old 02-05-2019, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
What's this "if" nonsense? Did he apologize for something or didn't he?
Yes, he did. That doesnt mean he was in the pictures.
Old 02-05-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
He actually did explain. And yes, nicknames are often foisted upon you without your knowledge or consent. Not to mention, there are other reasons for "coon" than the racist one, like say coon hunting.

So, even if he's not guilty, you want him to resign?
If he is not able to be an effective leader, then he should resign.

With what has come up and about this, I do not think he can be an effective leader anymore.
Old 02-05-2019, 04:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes, he did. That doesnt mean he was in the pictures.
What does it mean, then?
Old 02-05-2019, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
What does it mean, then?

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/02/polit...oto/index.html

"Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam said he does not believe he is either person in the racist photo that appeared in his 1984 yearbook but that he did once darken his face to resemble Michael Jackson during a dance contest in 1984.

In a remarkable, hour-long news conference at the Governor's Mansion in Richmond, Northam defended himself from the cacophony of calls for his resignation, but acknowledged that he had made mistakes on race in his past, like when he darkened his face for the dance contest.
"I believe now and then that I am not either of the people in this photo," Northam said, denying that he had ever worn a KKK robe and hood or been drunk enough to forget a moment like this. "This was not me in that picture. That was not Ralph Northam."

It means he was admitting he dressed as Jackson, but denies being in blackface or in the KKK costume in the other photo.

Dressing as Jackson, even when darkening your face, is possibly poor judgement, but not racist.
Old 02-05-2019, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Dressing as Jackson, even when darkening your face, is possibly poor judgement, but not racist.
'Tis so. Especially considering that Michael was white.

If you think he should claim that it wasn't him in blackface that time, but it was some other time, and possibly others, often enough and in situations that actually gave him a nickname for it, well, that isn't the strongest defense possible, is it?

Last edited by ElvisL1ves; 02-05-2019 at 04:27 PM.
Old 02-05-2019, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Not 1984 Michael Jackson.

Last edited by Kent Clark; 02-05-2019 at 04:43 PM.
Old 02-05-2019, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Wait, wha...?
Old 02-05-2019, 06:25 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
It means he was admitting he dressed as Jackson, but denies being in blackface or in the KKK costume in the other photo.
I'm honestly curious -- why are you willing to accept his denial in the Saturday press conference, while discounting his Friday statement, in which he explicitly took responsibility for the picture, and his appearance in it?

On Saturday, he said, "that's not me there." If so, why the hell did he say it *was* him on Friday? If he had doubts that it was him (such as if it was placed by people on the yearbook staff as a joke), I have to believe that it was something he'd known since the yearbook had come out.

If he hadn't actually yet looked at the picture, and the article, on Friday, why would he have released a statement that clearly said: "a photograph of me" and "the decision I made to appear as I did in this photo"?

Either additional information came to light overnight on Friday night (information which hasn't been released publicly) which indicated that the picture wasn't of him, or he decided to switch from an admission to a denial when he realized that it's nearly impossible to tell if he's actually in that picture. Either way, he has wound up making two utterly contradictory public statements, with no real explanation as to why.
Old 02-05-2019, 06:36 PM

Quote:

The punchline in Tropic Thunder is, the white guy in blackface gets smacked upside the head by an African-American and — instead of defending himself — apologizes to the man who understandably just hit him in the face. Said white guy then asks if things are now cool between them; he gets told that, well, no, they’re still not.

So the question is, can you wear blackface if you’re explaining that it’s okay to hit a guy in the face for doing that, where *one* such hit isn’t enough? And I’m not sure what the answer is, but Downey’s career suggests that it’s a “maybe”.
Old 02-05-2019, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

Plus, if it wasn't him in the picture, what the heck was it doing on his yearbook page?
Old 02-05-2019, 07:02 PM
Extrajudicial
Charter Member

Moderating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
Hate speech or trolling...it took me a a few moments to decide. This is a warning for trolling. If this is what you have left to offer, your stay will be short.

[/moderating]
I've thought about it. I'll rescind the warning, though somewhat reluctantly. I have my doubts, but given the comments in the ATMB thread and ashai's posting there, I'll choose to construe the comment in a more favorable light. Please be more judicious in the future to avoid potential misunderstanding.

[/moderating]
Old 02-05-2019, 07:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
I'm honestly curious -- why are you willing to accept his denial in the Saturday press conference, while discounting his Friday statement, in which he explicitly took responsibility for the picture, and his appearance in it?

On Saturday, he said, "that's not me there." If so, why the hell did he say it *was* him on Friday? If he had doubts that it was him (such as if it was placed by people on the yearbook staff as a joke), I have to believe that it was something he'd known since the yearbook had come out.

If he hadn't actually yet looked at the picture, and the article, on Friday, why would he have released a statement that clearly said: "a photograph of me" and "the decision I made to appear as I did in this photo"?

Either additional information came to light overnight on Friday night (information which hasn't been released publicly) which indicated that the picture wasn't of him, or he decided to switch from an admission to a denial when he realized that it's nearly impossible to tell if he's actually in that picture. Either way, he has wound up making two utterly contradictory public statements, with no real explanation as to why.
He didnt quite say that. He said "this photo". Later it appears he was talking about a different photo, with him as Jackson.

Yes, it is confusing and I am not sure at all who is in those pics or why he said what he said, nor am I in any way saying he isnt in that picture.

What I am asking is- if he is NOT in that picture, why should he resign? Answer that.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:44 PM

Quote:
...But in the first he made unclear statements over what picture he was talking about. In the later statement, he was clear.
The scan of his yearbook that we have all seen was all over the press when he made his first statement. Please parse for me your persistent claim that something was "unclear" about which picture he was talking about here:

Quote:
Earlier today, a website published a photograph of me from my 1984 medical school yearbook in a costume that is clearly racist and offensive.

I am deeply sorry for the decision I made to appear as I did in this photo and for the hurt that decision caused then and now.
Quote:
I want him first to explain why his story changed.

Last edited by Riemann; 02-05-2019 at 07:46 PM.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:46 PM

double post

Last edited by Procrustus; 02-05-2019 at 07:48 PM.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:47 PM

Quote:
What I am asking is- if he is NOT in that picture, why should he resign? Answer that.
From what others have said, he would have been responsible for the KKK photo on his yearbook page. The KKK is not a joke. They're a domestic terrorist (and racist) organization. That shows incredibly poor judgment, even if he was not in the photo. It's one thing to dress up like Hitler, who was a historical figure several decades removed form 1984. The Klan, on the other hand, was still active and holding rallies in the 1980s.

Quote:
A series of Klan murders in the 1960s, including the killing of the three civil rights volunteers commemorated in the film Mississippi Burning, were only cleared up over the past few years as loyalty to – and fear of - the Klan dwindled among white Southerners and all-white juries.

The violence continued into the 1980s – four elderly black women were shot but not killed in Tennessee in 1980 by Klansmen who had just taken part in an initiation rally. A year later, Michael Donald, a young black man in Mobile, Alabama, was the victim of a random lynching by two Klansmen. In 1997, one of them – Henry Hayes - became the first Klan member to be put to death for a Klan murder in the state since 1913.

However, after civil liberties organisations successfully started hitting the Klan in the wallet with multi-million dollar civil lawsuits, the movement split into myriad small groups while curtailing its criminal activities.

Today, there are estimated to be almost 180 chapters, together boasting no more than 8,000 members. Two-thirds are still in the southern states
Old 02-05-2019, 07:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes, he did. But in the first he made unclear statements over what picture he was talking about. In the later statement, he was clear.

but again-So, if he is not in those pictures, you want him to resign anyway?
I don't live in Virginia but if I did, I would want him to resign. He submitted that picture for his page and it's disgusting. I think I get why he thought it was funny. Two guys show up for a costume party; one in blackface and one as a klansman. This is hilarious! Let't have them pose next to each other.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
And people forget that even in 1984 there was a lot of casual racism about that by today's standards is horrifying (just a fun reminder that the BBC was airing this shit up to 1978, only six years earlier).

That totally blows my mind. Hard to comprehend, especially in its latter decade.,

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Forgiveness is irrelevant, IMO. Virginia needs a governor who can advocate with strong moral authority against white supremacism. I don't think Northam can do that at this time, and thus he should resign.

Cosigned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
Because no one has the right to serve as an elected official.

I think they do have that right, once they are elected (subject to recall or impeachment, of course). That said, I hope he declines to exercise this right, and resigns.

Quote:
So, I must ask, sans a profuse apology, is the entire cast and crew of 2008's Tropic Thunder disqualified for political office, or just Robert Downy Junior? They used blackface not just for laughs, but for profit. And 2008 is far beyond the "they didn't know any better back then" excuse. In fact, I'm sure that was in there to specifically to be edgy.

That's a tough one. My instinct is to say it lands on the acceptable side of the line, in part because its patent offensiveness is lampshaded within the movie, and the idea is supposed to be that he is such an Oscar-seeker, he pushes toward playing roles it's absurdly inappropriate for him to play. But I may be biased because I really enjoy that movie.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
That totally blows my mind. Hard to comprehend, especially in its latter decade.
Here's another cracker, ran from 1972-76. Making a hilarious joke of British racism. It was a popular mainstream show, I remember watching it as a kid, and I don't remember a hint of controversy at the time (although I might have been too young to pick up on it).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_Thy_Neighbour

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1dakp4FT0w
Old 02-05-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
...On Saturday, he said, "that's not me there." If so, why the hell did he say it *was* him on Friday? ...
Quote:
He didnt quite say that. He said "this photo". Later it appears he was talking about a different photo, with him as Jackson. ...
A plausible explanation: Northam has been worrying for years that the 'blackface impersonation of Michael Jackson' story would get out. And when the news broke about the yearbook photo, he assumed that the photo was of him, as Jackson, at that dance contest.

The next day he'd remembered that his Jackson costume had looked quite different from what was shown in the photo. That meant that the yearbook photo had NOT been taken at the dance contest. He didn't remember any other instances of his dressing up in blackface. So the yearbook photo had to have been put on his page by mistake, or as a prank, with the photo being of two other people entirely.

Of course for this theory to be correct, Northam would have to have assumed----on Friday, when he was going on the theory that the photo was from the dance contest----that the dance contest in which he appeared as Michael Jackson contained another contestant who danced in a KKK costume. Which is kind of far-fetched, it would seem to me. Most people would find it to be a problem if Northam willingly posed next to a dance contestant in a KKK hood. So the 'thought the pic was from the contest' story doesn't really help him.

The problem for Northam is that any 'explanation' of this still shows that he comes out of a culture of racism--and just accepted it as 'normal', back in the day. The only way I could see him surviving is if he has proof that he protested all this casual racism back in the 1980s.....and if he had such proof, he'd have produced it by now.

He has to resign. He can't lead his state, with all this hanging over him.

Last edited by Sherrerd; 02-05-2019 at 08:21 PM.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
A plausible explanation: Northam has been worrying for years that the 'blackface impersonation of Michael Jackson' story would get out. And when the news broke about the yearbook photo, he assumed that the photo was of him, as Jackson, at that dance contest.
The picture was all over the press, in every version of the story. It was the entire reason for making a statement. You think it's plausible he didn't bother to look at the story and see the yearbook page that was the entire motivation for the story, that was potentially going to end his career?

Was he drunk on methanol, recovering from a cataract operation...?

Last edited by Riemann; 02-05-2019 at 08:31 PM.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Here's another cracker, ran from 1972-76. Making a hilarious joke of British racism. It was a popular mainstream show, I remember watching it as a kid, and I don't remember a hint of controversy at the time (although I might have been too young to pick up on it).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_Thy_Neighbour

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1dakp4FT0w

Isn't that more along the lines of its contemporary "All in the Family", which IIRC was based on a British show?
Old 02-05-2019, 09:57 PM

I kinda hope he rides it out. If he's unfit for office because secretly he's a big racist jerk, you'd think it would have been apparent at some point in his last ten years of public office.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:05 AM

Quote:

But what you think isn't what's relevant here. You're asking us what we believe.

You asked whether we thought these guys should be disqualified because of their roles in this film. We say no, because we believe there is a difference. The scene in question clearly has the guy in blackface not to mock African Americans, but to mock racists.

While it's possible there is such a context to the photo, no one has alleged such. And it was put in a yearbook without including that context, so it was published without that context. So it was not an anti-racist use of blackface.

That said, it would be politically dangerous for anyone who has ever appeared in blackface to run, even if said blackface was in an anti-racist context. There are people who won't care. And there is no chance that the other party will not use it to attack both the candidate and their party.

There are too many people out there who have never worn blackface to get all that upset about it. We're not talking about "every single bad decision" here. There are just some things that are beyond the pale. And it's a problem that become less of an issue as time goes on.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:44 AM

Northam's medical school stopped publishing yearbooks in 2013 because they were becoming increasingly racist.
https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/n...-racist-photos
Old 02-06-2019, 12:51 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
He didnt quite say that. He said "this photo". Later it appears he was talking about a different photo, with him as Jackson.

Yes, it is confusing and I am not sure at all who is in those pics or why he said what he said, nor am I in any way saying he isnt in that picture.

As Riemann has already noted, the full text was:

"Earlier today, a website published a photograph of me from my 1984 medical school yearbook in a costume that is clearly racist and offensive.

I am deeply sorry for the decision I made to appear as I did in this photo and for the hurt that decision caused then and now."

He explicitly referred to his yearbook page, and the photo of him in costume on that page, in that.

Unless he made that statement without actually looking at that website on Friday (or any of the many other news sites which picked up the story and re-ran the photo), then I don't see how he could not have already known, when he made that statement on Friday, that the picture in question (which he was admitting was of him) was *not* of him dressed up as Michael Jackson.

And, if he issued the statement *without* looking at the picture, then he was clearly in panicky idiot mode.

Last edited by kenobi 65; 02-06-2019 at 12:53 AM.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Northam's medical school stopped publishing yearbooks in 2013 because they were becoming increasingly racist.
https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/n...-racist-photos
Neither your link nor what the WaPo article it's regurgitating say anything about "increasingly racist". The WaPo article actually specifically mentioned that they hadn't run a review of past issues when they shut it down.