Old 09-30-2015, 07:23 PM

Blot pizza with napkin and reduces calories and fat.

I've done this for years anytime the pizza looks very greasy. Helps me avoid indigestion and heartburn. Heck why not? Everybody puts bacon on a paper towel to soak up grease. Only takes a few seconds to press a napkin onto a pizza. Save calories and your shirt from drips.

Anyone else tried this?

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-styl...icle-1.2379926
Quote:
Blotting is simple - a pizza consumer need only press down with a paper napkin to absorb the orange-y grease, which is merely excess fat from especially fatty cheese that rises to the top after being cooked.

And there's nothing complicated about the difference blotting makes: A degreased slice has 76 1/2 fewer calories and 4 1/2 grams less fat.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

I have done it on occasion and my daughters always do it for the type of fast food pizza we usually get. Overall calories and fat content don't have much to do with it. I just don't like the look or sensation of raw grease on top and it has a tendency to drip down onto my shirt. In my experience, it is a common custom at least for thin slice greasy pizza in the Northeast.

Last edited by Shagnasty; 09-30-2015 at 07:28 PM.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

Pretty funny how precise that is--down to the half a calorie. Because of course any standard-issue napkin sucks up exactly that much cheese sweat.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagnasty View Post
I have done it on occasion and my daughters always do it for the type of fast food pizza we usually get. Overall calories and fat content don't have much to do with it. I just don't like the look or sensation of raw grease on top and it has a tendency to drip down onto my shirt. In my experience, it is a common custom at least for thin slice greasy pizza in the Northeast.
Yes, I do it primarily to protect my shirt and avoid heartburn. I've got several stained shirts thanks to pizza. That grease won't wash out. I remove my shirt and eat in my T shirt at home. Can't do that in a restaurant.

Any calories that I avoid is just a bonus.

Last edited by aceplace57; 09-30-2015 at 07:33 PM.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:34 PM

If I have to blot my pizza, I am eating crappy pizza.

I was served a pizza years ago at Chuck E. Cheese that literally had steaming puddles on it. Had to tip it, drain it, and THEN blot it.

This is what happens when the pizzamakers use "white cheeselike product" instead of "mozzerella cheese."
Old 09-30-2015, 07:43 PM

I sometimes blot a greasy pizza.

I'm a little skeptical about the calorie savings. Any pizza with that much grease has some dripping onto your hands and plate, so it doesn't seem like you'd be eating all of the grease under any circumstances.

I do have some other calorie reducing tricks, though. Like I often make tuna salad using half sour cream and half mayo. That's about 50 calories saved and there's no difference in texture or flavor that I notice.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracoi View Post
I sometimes blot a greasy pizza.

I'm a little skeptical about the calorie savings. Any pizza with that much grease has some dripping onto your hands and plate, so it doesn't seem like you'd be eating all of the grease under any circumstances.

I do have some other calorie reducing tricks, though. Like I often make tuna salad using half sour cream and half mayo. That's about 50 calories saved and there's no difference in texture or flavor that I notice.
I guess that calorie number they give is an average? But I agree its probably an inflated number. Maybe at home, with several bounty paper towels you could press down hard and get that much grease out. Not lightly blotting in a restaurant with a thin napkin.

But calories aren't the reason why I blot anyhow.

Last edited by aceplace57; 09-30-2015 at 08:01 PM.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Wang-Ka View Post
Yes, when I see a slice of pizza that needs blotting, that means I'm not eating pizza from that restaurant. I didn't realize that was so common. A new pizza place opened on my street about a year ago, and when I tried it I got a pizza covered in grease, so I never went back. I noticed a few weeks ago that the place has closed, so I guess I'm not the only one who couldn't stomach it.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoilerVirgin View Post
Yes, when I see a slice of pizza that needs blotting, that means I'm not eating pizza from that restaurant. I didn't realize that was so common. A new pizza place opened on my street about a year ago, and when I tried it I got a pizza covered in grease, so I never went back. I noticed a few weeks ago that the place has closed, so I guess I'm not the only one who couldn't stomach it.
It isn't exclusive to truly crappy pizza. One of the most successful fast-food pizza chains in the Boston area (known for an abundance of good pizza) is Papa Ginos and I like their pizza in general at least for what it is. However, it is fairly common need to blot their slices or whole pizzas unless you want to make a mess especially when it is fresh and hot. It isn't an issue when they cool down but it can be when they are fresh out of the oven.

Last edited by Shagnasty; 09-30-2015 at 08:26 PM.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:27 PM

Quote:
My dad used to manage a Papa Gino's. People would a. complain that the pizza wasn't greasy enough and even b. ask if they could have "extra" grease on it, apparently under the impression it was a condiment added to the pizza by whoever made it.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:30 PM
Charter Member

Continued:

The main cause of the greasiness is the type of cheese(s) used and there are multiple right answers:

"[Papa] Gino's does just that with the addition of Romano. As a result the pies can be a little, well, greasier and the elasticity of the cheese goes from snappy to gooey. But the proportion of cheese to sauce is in good measure. If you mostly eat pizza with all mozzarella you might find yourself trying to pinpoint just what it is about the cheese that is different. Now you know it's the cheddar."

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archive...apa-ginos.html
Old 09-30-2015, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagnasty View Post
It isn't exclusive to truly crappy pizza. One of the most successful fast-food pizza chains in the Boston area (known for an abundance of good pizza) is Papa Ginos and I like their pizza in general at least for what it is. However, it is fairly common need to blot their slices or whole pizzas unless you want to make a mess especially when it is fresh and hot. It isn't an issue when they cool down but it can be when they are fresh out of the oven.
Actually I am going to disagree with you about Papa Ginos. It is truly terrible pizza. Pizza is my favorite food ever and when we moved to Boston we tried Papa Ginos and I couldn't even finish a single slice. Even Domino's is better than Papa Ginos. Blech.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:08 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Sally's Apizza in New Haven, Connecticut, makes the best pizza on this side of the Atlantic Ocean.

Watch them box it for you when you order takeout. The pie comes out of the oven, they set it in the box, and then SWING A BOTTLE OF OLIVE OIL ALL OVER IT. Whatever you do, don't slap a napkin on THIS pizza.

When I was checking on the spelling, I saw that Sally's went up for sale (by the children of the original owners since 1938) last year. Anyone got more recent news on that?
Old 09-30-2015, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Sally's Apizza in New Haven, Connecticut, makes the best pizza on this side of the Atlantic Ocean.
Connecticut is already on the side of the Atlantic Ocean that makes the best pizza in the world.
Any place that makes the best pizza west of the Atlantic Ocean then by definition makes the best pizza in the world.

If Sally's makes the best pizza in the world, why not say they make the best pizza in the world?

Are you absolutely sure you didn't mean to say something like "Sally's Apizza in New Haven, Connecticut, makes the best pizza on this side of the Housatonic River."?
Old 09-30-2015, 09:50 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member

Bulllllllssssssshit.

If it isn't in New York, it isn't pizza. Even New York places elsewhere that import everything including the water ain't pizza.

Connecticut ain't anything.

But to the OP - blotting helps cheap pizza, and that's a good thing.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:57 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bienville View Post
Connecticut is already on the side of the Atlantic Ocean that makes the best pizza in the world.
Have you never eaten pizza in Naples, or Sicily?

Okay, I'll bite. Sally's makes the best pizza on Wooster Street in New Haven. But Pepe's is pretty darn good, too.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:59 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Bulllllllssssssshit.

If it isn't in New York, it isn't pizza.
Wrong. I've been to Di Faro's. I've been to Tontonno's. They're damn good, but they ain't Sally's.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:28 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member

Haven't had it in a long time but I've blotted McDonald's steak, egg & cheese bagel. Too damn greasy otherwise.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:41 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

The first time I ever encountered "pizza dabbing" was at lunch in middle school (so like, 1992?) All the other girls did it. For some reason it made me not want to do it. So I never have.

I notice that cheese pizzas at several local places seem quite bland and dry to me. Pepperoni adds more than just meaty flavors.

BTW, according to BuzzFeed the data everyone is using comes from a 15-year-old study done by Georgia-Pacific. The paper products maker. The data is "no longer available" but still fairly accurate (although a nutritionist that BuzzFeed talked to says it makes a negligible difference in your lifetime of fat consumed).
Old 09-30-2015, 11:10 PM
Charter Member

If I'm eating pizza, it's because I want greasy, Calorie-laden food. Blotting it defeats the purpose.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Have you never eaten pizza in Naples, or Sicily?
Naples and Sicily can go fuck themselves.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:54 PM

Sometimes I blot, but I also confess that sometimes I will tear a corner of the slice's crust off and blot/chow down that, and/or use the crust from the first eaten slice to blot the 2nd - especially pepperoni slices. Don't knock it till you've tried it.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:17 AM

Quote:
No kidding.

A more straightforward approach, throw that garbage away and get some good pizza.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:40 AM
Charter Member

Umm, I guess that I'm the only one who uses the parmesan to soak up the grease and keep it on the pizza?
Old 10-01-2015, 12:44 AM

I blot pizza, but not for any calorie saving benefits. I'm more worried about stains on my shirt rather than calories.
Old 10-01-2015, 02:29 AM

Quote:

I was served a pizza years ago at Chuck E. Cheese that literally had steaming puddles on it. Had to tip it, drain it, and THEN blot it.

This is what happens when the pizzamakers use "white cheeselike product" instead of "mozzerella cheese."
What they serve at Chuck E. Cheese doesn't deserve to be called "pizza".

Last edited by Guinastasia; 10-01-2015 at 02:29 AM.
Old 10-01-2015, 02:41 AM

I don't remember where I saw it, but I remember reading a well-regarded source saying that any calories savings from blotting pizza were minimal at best. Googling it right now, I see a lot of places repeating OP's claim (without much critical analysis) and then an article pointing out that the oft-cited study was done at the behest of a paper towel company. Draw your own conclusion.

Anyways, whenever I get NY-style pizza I blot, but only to try and avoid my hands (and shirt) being covered in grease.

Last edited by magnusblitz; 10-01-2015 at 02:43 AM.
Old 10-01-2015, 02:54 AM
BANNED

I'm just worried about the grease running down my chin. I don't blot, I just sprinkle it with parmesan. Soaks it right up.
Old 10-01-2015, 04:39 AM

I've started blotting the extra grease. I don't miss it. But using crust is an amusing idea. Fat = flavor.

Last edited by Irishman; 10-01-2015 at 04:39 AM.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffy the Elephant Shrew View Post
Pretty funny how precise that is--down to the half a calorie. Because of course any standard-issue napkin sucks up exactly that much cheese sweat.
" Cheese Sweat " - awesome bans name

My wife blots my pizza. The tiny tidal pools of oil bother her.
I don't care as long as she doesn't leave the napkin on too long. Otherwise it picks up most of the cheese, rendering the slice useless.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
I remove my shirt and eat in my T shirt at home.
"Stella . . . STELLAAAAA!!!, more pizza, Stella!"
Old 10-01-2015, 12:26 PM

We used to do that when I made pizza in a convenience store. The customer never knew just how greasy the pizza was as they never saw the grease.
Old 10-01-2015, 02:02 PM

I should point a thing out:

Y'see, one of the reasons cheese EXISTS is a little thing called "milkfat." This is fat. This is what sweats out when you heat the cheese.

Mozzarella isn't a fat free food, not by a long shot, but it's not all that greasy a cheese.

However, pizza joints seldom buy their mozzarella in wheels or blocks. The handiest way to have it delivered is in bags where it has been "cubed," that is, cut into tiny cubes. That way, the pizza guys can simply scoop it out and sprinkle it on the pizza crust, after ladling down the sauce. It can also be bought shredded, but is easier to handle when cubed. Place I worked, back in the day, we used cubed.

...now here's the thing: Food retailers discovered long ago that the cheapest food additives include air, water, and fat. And y'know what? Fat blends with white cheeses EXTREMELY well, and unless you've got some serious tastebuds, you can't tell the diff from just tossing some in your mouth.

When the place I worked tried a different cheese distributor, the results were disastrous. You'd put a beautiful pepperoni pie in one end of the conveyor oven, and out the other end would come this... sodden... swampy... THING. Not unlike the Chuck E. Cheese abominations I described above. And our regular clientele dropped us like a hot rock. We wound up buying a great deal of shredded mozzarella and making up the difference by gently blending small amounts of the horrible fatty stuff in, about a quarter cup per cup of actual cheese, until the Fatty Cheeselike Pizza Product was all gone. And even then, we had to add parmesan to blot up the puddles.

Life is too short to make pizza with fatty cheeselike blended food product. Unless you like puddles in your pepperoni.

Last edited by Master Wang-Ka; 10-01-2015 at 02:03 PM.
Old 10-01-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bienville View Post
Naples and Sicily can go fuck themselves.

(Leave the gun, take the pizza.)
Old 10-01-2015, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
I've done this for years anytime the pizza looks very greasy. Helps me avoid indigestion and heartburn. Heck why not? Everybody puts bacon on a paper towel to soak up grease. Only takes a few seconds to press a napkin onto a pizza. Save calories and your shirt from drips.

Anyone else tried this?
Interesting, I've never heard of this practice yet so many people seem to do it. And since it only takes a few seconds I might give it a try on the next pie.
Old 10-01-2015, 02:45 PM

Best pizza I ever had wasn't in New York or New Haven or at any of the DC-area 'gourmet' pizzerias, but at Truby's in Whitefish, Montana.
Old 10-01-2015, 02:51 PM

I tried a slice of pizza in New York a couple of weeks ago for the first time ever since I'd heard it was supposed to be so great. All I have to say is that New Yorkers must like pizza with cold toppings and burnt crust. Worst slice of pizza I'd ever had.
Old 10-01-2015, 02:58 PM

Meh. New Yorkers are about pizza the way Texans are about chili or salsa. Neither state invented them, but you'd best not bring that up in that particular locality.

The upshot: yes, if you remove grease from your pizza, it is lower calorie and healthier to eat. I'm just questioning how much grease belongs in a pizza to begin with.
Old 10-01-2015, 03:00 PM

My ghod.

...at one point, Kellogg's repurposed Pop Tart technology to make... TOASTER PIZZA.

Not sure how I feel about that. Damn things look just like Pop Tarts...
Old 10-01-2015, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That and Pepe's are two of my personal bucket-list pizzas. Unfortunately, the only time I was in New Haven, back when I was 20, I was unaware of the glorious reputation of New Haven pizza. I'm tempted to visit New Haven just to finally sample those pizzas.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:26 PM

I used to do this, but not any more.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:44 PM

I also opine that the "comestible" which is served at Charles and Various Cheeses (aka Chuck E. Cheese's) is undeserving of the name "pizza", in that it is of markedly inferior quality.

If this is offensive to any reader, I hereby proffer, in advance, my profound apologies and further warrant that, should it happen that I have been so devoid of moral turpitude and basic human decency as to be so offensive to anyone, I shall immediately cease posting on this board and hope that such action will help to ease the pain of my transgression, vile calumny though it was.

Note: If anyone can discern whence this post is truly directed, I applaud you, good Sir and/or Madam.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:37 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballkid View Post
I tried a slice of pizza in New York a couple of weeks ago for the first time ever since I'd heard it was supposed to be so great. All I have to say is that New Yorkers must like pizza with cold toppings and burnt crust. Worst slice of pizza I'd ever had.
Yeah, all the pizza in New York is like that. All eight million of us are just fucking delusional. It's a mystery.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbuff314 View Post
I also opine that the "comestible" which is served at Charles and Various Cheeses (aka Chuck E. Cheese's) is undeserving of the name "pizza", in that it is of markedly inferior quality.
I am inclined to agree. I can see why you'd want to take your KIDS there, but between the insane level of cacaphony, flashing lights, screaming robots, and other elements reminiscent of some Disney flavored hell, I was glad to leave.

Having to tilt the pizza to drain the grease off, and STILL having enough grease to saturate a dozen napkins was just the cherry on the turd.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:41 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
I'm tempted to visit New Haven just to finally sample those pizzas.
Well, the Yale campus is quite pretty in the autumn. The collections at the university art and natural history museums are excellent. If you like sports or history or sports history, you could go the annual Harvard football game. But the pizza is the only real reason to go to New Haven.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
If this is offensive to any reader, I hereby proffer, in advance, my profound apologies and further warrant that, should it happen that I have been so devoid of moral turpitude and basic human decency as to be so offensive to anyone, I shall immediately cease posting on this board and hope that such action will help to ease the pain of my transgression, vile calumny though it was.
Wait, if you are devoid of moral turpitude, then you are behaving decently and within moral standards.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well, the Yale campus is quite pretty in the autumn. The collections at the university art and natural history museums are excellent. If you like sports or history or sports history, you could go the annual Harvard football game. But the pizza is the only real reason to go to New Haven.
Oh, good God, I'm a moron. I just realized I've never actually been to New Haven. It's Providence I've been to. Wrong Ivy League town. Next time I'm up in New York I'll have to take a day trip or an overnight to New Haven. I never quite realized how close they were until I looked at a map just now. All those New England towns screw me up.
Old 10-02-2015, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Note: If anyone can discern whence this post is truly directed, I applaud you, good Sir and/or Madam.
The magician on Penn and Teller Fool Us who had an act based on Scrabble?

He was being indefatigably magniloquent.
Old 10-02-2015, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracoi View Post
Like I often make tuna salad using half sour cream and half mayo. That's about 50 calories saved and there's no difference in texture or flavor that I notice.
Light mayo is indistinguishable from the regular stuff except that it's sort of softer and foamier in a blob. I still keep a small jar of the regular stuff for that kind of service (to dip 'sparagrass in, for example), but for anything spread or blended... the light stuff is just as good and has a significant calorie reduction.

(I generally don't do "lite" anything and had to be convinced of this one. It proved out.)

As for pizza, I am still trying to find a place here in the northeast that doesn't make so wet and gooey you can't pick it up without wearing it, all grease issues aside.

Last edited by Amateur Barbarian; 10-02-2015 at 03:29 PM.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:32 PM

Pizzeria Regina in Boston used to have extra oil as a menu selection. Till it's dripping down your arm is my motto. I must respectfully disagree with Master Wang-Ka. Whole milk mozzarella will release a fair amount of grease when atop a pizza. Part skim mozzarella, not so much.