The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 10-29-2014, 09:33 PM

Midway to No. Michigan Ave Options

Anything available other than a taxi? If not, I assume I'll pay about $50.00. True?
Old 10-29-2014, 10:40 PM
Chicago Savant

Taxi could be closer to $40. It's been years since I had to take a taxi.

There's the Airport Express shuttle vans, though they often will stop at two or three other hotels before yours.

If your luggage is manageable, ride the CTA Orange Line (rapid transit train) from Midway to State & Lake. Perfectly safe, about 35 minutes. Downstairs on State St., in front of the Chick-Fil-A, transfer to the #146 bus, which promptly turns east for two blocks and then heads north on Michigan. The transfer is free if you bought a $3 single-use Ventra ticket at the airport station.

If luggage is substantial, leave the train a station earlier—Clark & Lake, where there are elevators—and hail a taxi for the last mile to your hotel.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
If your luggage is manageable, ride the CTA Orange Line (rapid transit train) from Midway to State & Lake. Perfectly safe, about 35 minutes. Downstairs on State St., in front of the Chick-Fil-A, transfer to the #146 bus
Or transfer to the Red Line subway and take it north to either Grand Ave. or Chicago Ave. Both are a couple of blocks from Michigan Ave. and most of the major hotels.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:26 PM
Chicago Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak of Twilo View Post
Or transfer to the Red Line subway
But that means going down two more flights of stairs and then back up at the other end, and still ending up two blocks west of Michigan Avenue. Why? To avoid a six block bus ride? The 146 runs frequently all day and evening, and gets you almost to the door of your Mag Mile hotel with no stairs to negotiate.

Tim R. Mortiss, I've never heard of a downtown Chicago hotel that would shuttle you from the airport. That's something they do out in Rosemont or Bedford Park.
Old 11-01-2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
But that means going down two more flights of stairs and then back up at the other end, and still ending up two blocks west of Michigan Avenue. Why? To avoid a six block bus ride? The 146 runs frequently all day and evening, and gets you almost to the door of your Mag Mile hotel with no stairs to negotiate.
Just putting options out there. Honestly I find buses are a bigger pain to navigate with luggage than trains.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:01 AM

thx
Old 10-30-2014, 11:01 AM

The $3 CTA fare that "Mr. Downtown" quoted breaks down to $2.25 basic fare, 25¢ for the transfer(s), and 50¢ for the one-time use farecard.

You can avoid the farecard fee by getting a regular Ventra (transit) card:

http://www.transitchicago.com/travel...heretobuy.aspx

When you register it (done on-line), the $5 issuing fee converts to cash value for fares. That's a couple of additional steps, but worth it if you ride the CTA again during your visit to Chicago (such as back to Midway).
Old 10-31-2014, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeAudrey View Post
The $3 CTA fare that "Mr. Downtown" quoted breaks down to $2.25 basic fare, 25¢ for the transfer(s), and 50¢ for the one-time use farecard.

You can avoid the farecard fee by getting a regular Ventra (transit) card:

http://www.transitchicago.com/travel...heretobuy.aspx

When you register it (done on-line), the $5 issuing fee converts to cash value for fares. That's a couple of additional steps, but worth it if you ride the CTA again during your visit to Chicago (such as back to Midway).
You can get the card for free at the Ventra web site. However, you have to load it with either a pass or a minimum purchase of $5 in "transit value." Do allow at least two weeks to receive it in the mail. They do not mail outside the United States.

Waiving the $5 card fee for internet purchases seems to have become a permanent thing, although I've never seen any official policy that says they intend(ed) it to be permanent. The $5 fee still applies at vending machines and for in-person purchases at Ventra retailers.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:45 PM

If you are staying at a swanky Michigan Avenue hotel, don't forget to check if they have a free airport shuttle.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. Mortiss View Post
If you are staying at a swanky Michigan Avenue hotel, don't forget to check if they have a free airport shuttle.
I agree.
Try the shuttle first and then go for the Orange Line.

I used to live three miles west of Midway and I used to park my car at the Orange Line’s lot and take it downtown. It’s clean and safe; no big deal. Take it to the terminal and change over to the Red Line.

Or take a taxi from the terminal.