Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-20-2013, 01:22 PM

So, apparently, you can't park a pick-up on residential streets.

We live in Chicago in the summer and Florida in the winter. Twice a year I drive a short-bed pick-up truck (a Ford Sport Trac, if it matters) to Chicago to carry stuff back and forth, and then drive it back to FL. I typically have it in Chicago for a week or so. There is a street across from our building that does not require permit parking, and so I leave it there.

Today, I found a ticket on the windshield. There is minimal information explaining the infraction, but by poking around the City Clerk's web site I find that it is against city ordinance to park a pick-up truck on residential streets for "longer than necessary." Exceptions can be made if the truck has a city vehicle sticker (which is more expensive for a pick-up than for a passenger car) and if you get a special exemption sticker from your alderman.

I guess thais maybe wouldn't bother me so much but for the fact that I can apparently park an Escalade (which is significantly bigger than my truck) with impunity.

So, until I leave on Sunday, I either need to find someplace indoors to park my truck (which will be costly) or take the chance of getting more tickets (which, if I get one per day, will roughly equal the cost of parking in a garage until then).

I momentarily considered contesting the ticket, since the ticket lists the wrong address for the parking location, and it lists my plate wrong (says it's an IL plate and not the FL plate that it is), but that seems like a losing proposition.

Consider this your PSA for today.