Old 03-20-2017, 01:59 PM

Lost animated specials

Everybody is familiar with the animated specials that are broadcast year after year, like A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving, It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown, and A Charlie Brown Christmas, but how about specials that were shown for a few years, then disappeared? Such as the Garfield Thanksgiving, Halloween and Christmas specials. You still see How the Grinch Stole Christmas, but not Halloween is Grinch Night. And then there were the specials not tied to a specific holiday, such as The Grinch Grinches the Cat in the Hat, and Rikki Tikki Tavi, and Puff the Magic Dragon.

What other lost specials come to mind?
Advertisements  
Old 03-20-2017, 02:02 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

The Opus Christmas special, A Wish For Wings That Work.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:03 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

I nabbed a bunch of 80s Christmas cartoon specials once from somewhere. Like The Cabbage Patch Kids Christmas show, Pac Man, Fat Albert, The Smurfs, Yogi Bear, etc...

I sat down and watched a lot of them but came to realize that they are all pretty much scary and/or sad. Usually involving orphans or just plain cancelled Christmas.

Jeez.

How many of you got together with your family specifically to watch the California Raisins Claymation Christmas Special?
Old 03-20-2017, 04:44 PM

Or they're basically thinly disguised toy or other product placement commercials.

Many years ago, I watched a very sweet half-hour children's show called "Toy Pony" (that part I distinctly remember) that had some animation as well as special effects featuring acrobats, etc. and I cannot find evidence of its existence anywhere. It was probably in the 1980s as well.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:57 PM

For years I remembered The Point, the story of poor Oblio who was born without a pointed head, and was ostracized. It was the origin of the Harry Nilsson song "Me And My Arrow." I remember liking it, and still like the song.

I finally found it on line and rewatched it. I understand now why it never became an annual favorite!

There were a LOT of Charlie Brown specials, many more than I remembered. I bought the DVD of It's Arbor Day, Charlie Brown, on the strenght of my memories from its premiere broadcast. I now understand why many of the CB specials are no longer rerun.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:59 PM

It's not an animated Christmas special, but the 1963 production of Amahl and the Night Visitors has not been broadcast since 1966, due to a production dispute between the composer and the network. Pity, as the 1978 version is markedly inferior.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
Many years ago, I watched a very sweet half-hour children's show called "Toy Pony" (that part I distinctly remember) that had some animation as well as special effects featuring acrobats, etc. and I cannot find evidence of its existence anywhere. It was probably in the 1980s as well.
Noting by that name in the IMDB. Are you sure that the acrobats weren't creepy, creepy sea ponies?
Old 03-20-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
There were a LOT of Charlie Brown specials, many more than I remembered. I bought the DVD of It's Arbor Day, Charlie Brown, on the strenght of my memories from its premiere broadcast.
46 of them! And that list doesn't even include full-length movies such as Race for Your Life, Charlie Brown and Bon Voyage, Charlie Brown. I have copies of maybe 30-something, probably watched 20-something.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:07 PM

Jean Marsh used to host a show that ran late Saturday nights called International Festival of Animation. I remember watching this in the mid to late 70's. It was the last thing on before TV shut off for the night. I remember Maxi Cat especially
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbxjz3V0FcA
Old 03-20-2017, 06:04 PM

Quote:
For years I remembered The Point, the story of poor Oblio who was born without a pointed head, and was ostracized. It was the origin of the Harry Nilsson song "Me And My Arrow." I remember liking it, and still like the song.

I finally found it on line and rewatched it. I understand now why it never became an annual favorite!
When my kids were little, I rented The Point on Netflix having fondly remembered it. I too understand why it stopped being shown.

On the other hand, I also rented Rikki Tikki Tavi, and Puff the Magic Dragon mentioned by the Op and both were still quite good. They should bot be forgotten. Rikki-Tikki-Tavi was a Chuck Jones production like so many classic Bugs Bunny cartoons and of course How the Grinch stole Christmas. The Cricket in Times Square is another forgotten special that was pretty good. Also Chuck Jones. I think originally it was shown with Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
Old 03-20-2017, 06:10 PM

Dunno if this is still the case, but Cartoon Network stopped running Ray Bradbury's The Halloween Tree. Which is a shame because it's a touching humanist piece. Definitely on my short list of animated features I'd like to see remade with better animation. Won't be the same with Bradbury and Leonard Nimoy gone, though.

There's also quite a number of Chuck Jones specials not really shown (The Halloween Tree was originally supposed to be directed by him). The Pogo special is generally considered to have indirectly killed Walt Kelly, who was so displeased with Jones's he tried to make his own; he died before he could finish. Then there's Norton Juster, also displeased with Jones's adaptation of The Phantom Tollbooth, he did like animated version of The Dot and the Line.

Also, Witch's Night Out is a cute obscure Halloween special I only discovered via happenstance.

Last edited by Trancephalic; 03-20-2017 at 06:11 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
On the other hand, I also rented Rikki Tikki Tavi, and Puff the Magic Dragon mentioned by the Op and both were still quite good.
I rewatched Puff for the first time in decades just a few weeks ago, and agree that it is still worth watching. Kinda child psychology-ey, but not in an oppressive way. (I wonder if Jackey Paper would be considered autistic in today's terms.) There is also one where he meets a habitual liar and one with a kid with an imaginary friend.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:23 PM
Charter Member

While poking around for a Christmas special I couldn't quite remember, I found out that someone made a Christmas special featuring the characters from "For Better or for Worse."

Anyway...I remember seeing a special that involved an orphan, a talking/wishing/blinking doll, and possibly sponsorship by McDonald's. I think it was "The Wish That Changed Christmas"...I don't have time to watch it on YouTube right now though.

I have pretty much all of the Peanuts specials on VHS. Geez, some of those were depressing!
Old 03-20-2017, 06:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
The Opus Christmas special, A Wish For Wings That Work.
Are you sure that is "lost"? I remember seeing it a few years ago on a DVD from Netflix.

If you really can't find it and want a copy, there's a slight possibility I might have it in my DVD collection of 2000+ un-indexed disks. I used to copy all DVDs from Netflix before watching, but my library science is embarrassing.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:38 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicat View Post
Are you sure that is "lost"? I remember seeing it a few years ago on a DVD from Netflix.

If you really can't find it and want a copy, there's a slight possibility I might have it in my DVD collection of 2000+ un-indexed disks. I used to copy all DVDs from Netflix before watching, but my library science is embarrassing.
I've got it on a well-used vhs...but I don't know how much longer it will last.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:44 PM

There was a Thanksgiving cartoon special based on the comic strip "B.C." which I haven't seen since 1978 (?). Bet I know why.

There are two "Far Side" cartoon specials that were available on YouTube recently. They're very off-the-wall.

What ever happened to "Charlie Brown's All-Stars"?
Old 03-20-2017, 06:56 PM

I enjoyed the music of Olive, the Other Reindeer. It was based on a picture book. Olive is a dog.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
I've got it on a well-used vhs...but I don't know how much longer it will last.
Quick! Digitize that sucker!
Old 03-20-2017, 07:38 PM
Confusing the Polarity
Charter Member

Quote:

Or you could just watch it on YouTube.

As for the one I miss, I used to like Santa and the Three Bears.

Last edited by Infovore; 03-20-2017 at 07:38 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:12 PM

When I was a kid, it seemed like the Nelvana animated specials "Romie-0 and Julie-8" and "The Devil and Daniel Mouse" were played all the time on Canadian TV, but they don't get played much any more. (I watched them on Youtube a few months ago and they seemed kind of dated.)

Last edited by hogarth; 03-20-2017 at 08:13 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:31 PM

When I was a youngster (many, many years ago), they used to show a full-length cartoon of "A Christmas Carol" starring the nearsighted Mr. Magoo. It pretty much disappeared from the airways (probably because it was in black and white, IIRC) and I haven't seen it in a long time, but for me and probably many kids in the 50's and 60's it was our introduction to Dicken's classic.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:35 PM
Charter Member

There was the promising animated The Pogo Special Birthday Special, collaboration between Walt Kelly (one of the greatest comic strip artist who ever lived) and Chuck Jones (one of the greatest cartoon directors who ever lived), with voice by June Foray (one of the greatest voiceover artists who ever lived). Jones and Kelly also voiced some of the characters.

Alas, the special was slow-paced and bland. Kelly hated what Jones had done with the art, and the clash between Kelly's verbal pyrotechnics and Jones's visual style was never resolved, so you get sort of an Alphonse and Gaston act as each deferred to the other. The result watered down both their strengths.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post
There was a Thanksgiving cartoon special based on the comic strip "B.C." which I haven't seen since 1978 (?). Bet I know why.
I think it was more 1987. I remember the boiled rocks.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:33 PM
Charter Member

1977's A Doonesbury Special. It was done about the time Trudeau updated his characters from college students to young adults. I only saw it once on TV, but it's on YouTube.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:33 PM

A Cosmic Christmas

A vague memory of the ET wise men haunted me for years until I had the opportunity to look it up when the internet got big.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
I think it was more 1987. I remember the boiled rocks.
Hold on to your truss, old man, I just looked it up: 1973!
Old 03-20-2017, 11:09 PM

Quote:
For years I remembered The Point......
Yeah. I have vivid memories of this "thing".
Old 03-20-2017, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stainless Steel Rat View Post
When I was a youngster (many, many years ago), they used to show a full-length cartoon of "A Christmas Carol" starring the nearsighted Mr. Magoo. It pretty much disappeared from the airways (probably because it was in black and white, IIRC) and I haven't seen it in a long time, but for me and probably many kids in the 50's and 60's it was our introduction to Dicken's classic.
Watch it now in color. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_8FhEXitrU
Old 03-20-2017, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendarii Dame View Post
I enjoyed the music of Olive, the Other Reindeer. It was based on a picture book. Olive is a dog.
The book is for children; the video is definitely not. It airs on Comedy Central every year at Christmastime, last I heard.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post
Hold on to your truss, old man, I just looked it up: 1973!
Wow!

Though I'm pretty sure I saw it Thanksgiving weekend 1986 or '87, when I was visiting Milwaukee. I don't remember any other occasion.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:54 PM

In 30 posts nobody's mentioned the Star Wars Holiday Special?
Old 03-21-2017, 06:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendarii Dame View Post
A Christmas Classic, one of the top three animated Christmas specials.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:11 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaboi867 View Post
Not animated, except for Boba Fett.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:20 PM

I see that the one I came in to name -- the Doonesbury Special has already been named (I missed it when it was broadcast, but caught it later by borrowing a 16 mm sound film version, in those pre-VCR and pre-YouTube days).

There are the various versions of A Christmas Carol -- it was years before I finally saw the Chuck Jones-Produced and Richard Williams-(Who Framed Roger Rabbit)-directed TV special. They tried to recreate the original book ilustrations 9as the Robert Zemeckis/Jim Carrey version did, to some extent). And they had Alastair Sim (who had played Scrooge in the 1951 movie) do the voice of Scrooge.

Of course, I love the UPA/Mister Magoo version. I now have it on DVD, but I haven't seen it on TV in ages.

For that matter, I haven't even seen the Rankin/Bass version With Walter Matthau voicing Scrooge) on TV in ages.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:29 PM

My first exposure to Tolkien were the Rankin/Bass versions of The Hobbit and The Return of the King. Not really lost (available on DVD), but they haven't been aired for years, and with the Jackson versions on TNT seemingly weekly I'm sure they never will.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
There was the promising animated The Pogo Special Birthday Special, collaboration between Walt Kelly (one of the greatest comic strip artist who ever lived) and Chuck Jones (one of the greatest cartoon directors who ever lived), with voice by June Foray (one of the greatest voiceover artists who ever lived). Jones and Kelly also voiced some of the characters.

Alas, the special was slow-paced and bland. Kelly hated what Jones had done with the art, and the clash between Kelly's verbal pyrotechnics and Jones's visual style was never resolved, so you get sort of an Alphonse and Gaston act as each deferred to the other. The result watered down both their strengths.
Just what I came in to talk about. I remember watching it when it aired in 1969 and being underwhelmed. I was a young fan of both Jones and Kelly, but the special didn't do it for me. I barely remember one scene from it.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:52 PM

I remember Animalympics was always shown around major sporting events, usually on HBO. I recall many times as a kid being excited to watch it, but then bored by it and not finishing it.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GargoyleWB View Post
I remember Animalympics was always shown around major sporting events, usually on HBO. I recall many times as a kid being excited to watch it, but then bored by it and not finishing it.
I remember it ended with the two marathon runners (one a male goat, the other a female...cheetah? lioness?) crossing the finish line tape at the same time, in love and holding hands (paws/hooves). Weird.

An hour-long special I remember which had some extended animation sequences was Gene Kelly's Jack and the Beanstalk. Given that it first aired in 1967 (before I was born), they must have rerun it a few times over the years but it's largely unknown now. Here's a clip.

Last edited by MovieMogul; 03-21-2017 at 01:06 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:40 PM

I remember a Disney Valentine's Day special that we had taped and I would watch over and over. A bit of googling looks like it was from 1986 because I definitely remember "Don't Go Breakin My Heart" by Elton John & Kiki Dee being part of it. I would been 5 years old then.

IMDB Link
Old 03-21-2017, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GargoyleWB View Post
I loved that as a kid. Seems ripe for a reboot.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:19 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
I loved that as a kid. Seems ripe for a reboot.
I liked it too. Is it available?
Old 03-21-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGee View Post
Jean Marsh used to host a show that ran late Saturday nights called International Festival of Animation. I remember watching this in the mid to late 70's. It was the last thing on before TV shut off for the night. I remember Maxi Cat especially
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbxjz3V0FcA
Tuesday nights at 10:30 on KQED (San Francisco's PBS station), which produced it; it was on right after Monty Python's Flying Circus, which caused the occasional problem as some episodes ran so long that they cut the endings of the shows that followed them in order to start the next program on time.

Quote:
I am assuming "lost" in this case means that it is not broadcast every year any more.

Quote:
As has already been pointed out, it is definitely in color; I saw it about 10 years ago in syndication.

I have a feeling a lot of the specials end up on cable channels nobody bothers to check, or few people have. Something like Rudolph and Frosty's Christmas in July might air on ABC Family.

Here's one that I only remember airing once; A Special Valentine With the Family Circus.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:38 PM

If you're looking for lost Pogo animation, there's the 1980 clay animation epic I Go Pogo (AKA Pogo for President) (some places claim 1984, but I read a piece about it in Cinefantastique in 1980). It had rotten distribution (I understand that at one point it was sold through those photo developing booths), and AFAIK has never been on TV or DVD:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_cEzNVuzKg

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087925/
Old 03-21-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
A Cosmic Christmas

A vague memory of the ET wise men haunted me for years until I had the opportunity to look it up when the internet got big.
I loved the shit out of that when I was a kid. 70's character designs and goose-peril aplenty. I have no idea how many times they aired it, but I'd guess three or four maybe? Last I looked, somebody had uploaded it to Youtube in three fairly low-quality chunks, but checking today I see the whole thing is up at much higher quality. Link.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
I caught this unexpectedly at a holiday film festival last December ... and it was great! It really held up.

The ones I remember from a kid that don't seem to come up that much now (although everything, it seems, is available on youtube) are Free to Be You and Me (1974) and Really Rosie (1975). The latter freaked me out as a kid.

Somewhere around this time, I saw a short animation about the legend of John Henry, and I think it was shown on TV as part of a collection of shorts, but don't remember anything else about it. Still a mystery, to me at least!
Old 03-21-2017, 04:03 PM

Quote:
It was for me -- I saw it the year it premiered (It was the first Animated Christmas Special, predating A Charlie Brown Christmas and Rudolph), and I had no idea what to expect. The songs were by Jule Styne (who co-wrote Let it Snow! and Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend, among others) and lyricist Bob Merrill ("Funny Girl", "Sugar", and a host of 1950s novelty tunes).

As I observe, I've got it both on VHS and DVD, and this still does occasionally show up on TV.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaboi867 View Post
Geez, no one remembers that fondly and not animated.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
It was for me -- I saw it the year it premiered (It was the first Animated Christmas Special, predating A Charlie Brown Christmas and Rudolph), and I had no idea what to expect. The songs were by Jule Styne (who co-wrote Let it Snow! and Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend, among others) and lyricist Bob Merrill ("Funny Girl", "Sugar", and a host of 1950s novelty tunes).

As I observe, I've got it both on VHS and DVD, and this still does occasionally show up on TV.
I don't know if it's an urban legend or absolutely true, but: I heard that Styne & Merrill wrote a song for Mr Magoo's Christmas Carol that didn't make it into the final cut, so they stuck it into their next effort. The song was: "People" from Funny Girl.

Which would actually fit perfectly in Mr Magoo as Nell's break-up song -- much better than it fits into the story line of Funny Girl.

Last edited by jsc1953; 03-21-2017 at 05:14 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:07 PM
Charter Member

Animalympics --great special, about an animal Olympics.
Saw it once, never again.

Bummer.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, & there always has been.The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political & cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.~Issac Asimov
Old 03-22-2017, 05:51 PM

If you only want drawn animation, no soap for me...but if stop-motion animation a la Rankin-Bass is okay, then I miss "Rudolph' Shiny New Year" and "Nestor, The Long-eared Christmas Donkey." And come to think of it, there is a cel-animated special we never see anymore...a cartoon version of "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe." Among other things, that one got Fenris Ulf's name right. No other production has ever done that. The animation was done in pretty simple lines, but that just made Aslan look more authoritative and a little scary.