Old 09-15-2011, 09:42 PM

Storage Wars vs. Auction Hunters

Both Storage Wars on A&E and Auction Hunters on Spike are fun shows IMHO.

Yes, I'm sure there are folks who do not like them. Head over to the "Stargate" threads, OK?

Anyway, I'd love to see a special that puts the storage wars folks against the team from auction hunters. I'd put my money on the Auction hunters guys.

Plus - I strongly suspect the producers of "seeding" the units that the people buy for both of these shows.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:33 AM

the auction hunters show is not real. they have a disclaimer at the beginning that says, these are some of their best scores or something like that. so i think the entire thing is staged.

storage wars for life!!
Old 09-16-2011, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkstar View Post
the auction hunters show is not real. they have a disclaimer at the beginning that says, these are some of their best scores or something like that. so i think the entire thing is staged.
I don't think it's staged, they just don't show all the other storage units that they buy and get junk out of. Then again I wouldn't be surprised if it was all staged being TV and all.

These kinds of shows do make some of my friends think they can get into this and make a lot of money.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

I did a short service call at a local storage chain a few weeks ago. I asked the manager about how this has been going and she told me they were very happy with the TV shows. The storage auctions before these shows would draw half a dozen people and the prices would rarely be above a couple of hundred dollars. Now, the auctions are crowded and the prices per unit are sometimes a thousand dollars or more.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:09 AM

Storage Wars certainly shows the hard work involved: dragging out the stuff, sorting, hauling, driving around for appraisals. Then they still have to find a buyer for these finds. I often wonder if they are able to sell some of these items for even a fraction of the worth they are proclaiming.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

Storage Wars ran an end-of-season review show where they sat down with the producer to talk about it. They did mention that they also buy dozens of units with nothing valuable in them. So it's not staged, but edited to remove the boring bits.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward The Head View Post
I don't think it's staged, they just don't show all the other storage units that they buy and get junk out of. Then again I wouldn't be surprised if it was all staged being TV and all.

These kinds of shows do make some of my friends think they can get into this and make a lot of money.
Have them watch the episode of Hoarders with the guy who filled his house with crap that he couldn't unload from buying storage lockers. That should cure them.

Jerrod and Brandi almost went the same way. They opened thier store because Jerrod's locker buying was overrunning thier house.

Last edited by Death of Rats; 09-16-2011 at 09:23 AM. Reason: no typey good
Old 09-16-2011, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death of Rats View Post
Have them watch the episode of Hoarders with the guy who filled his house with crap that he couldn't unload from buying storage lockers. That should cure them.

Don't think it will, he and his wife just bought a bigger house to store all their stuff.

I just wonder where all these storage units come from and why anyone would leave anything valuable in them. I know if I was going to lose one I would get all the good stuff out and not worry about the rest. Then again my mother had one that I should have just let them auction off, not a thing in there.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
Plus - I strongly suspect the producers of "seeding" the units that the people buy for both of these shows.
Oh, without a doubt. The players are a bit more subtle about this now, but when they first started seeding the units it was funny watching one of the purchasers ignore 20 boxes and tubs to open a drawer that contained the Big Find.

Don't watch Auction Hunters.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
And then the one where a woman with way too many storage lockers defaulted on her payments and had to clean them out or risk all of her stuff being seized and auctioned off. IIRC, the appraiser who came out to see if she could sell anything wasn't impressed.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vita Beata View Post
Storage Wars certainly shows the hard work involved: dragging out the stuff, sorting, hauling, driving around for appraisals. Then they still have to find a buyer for these finds. I often wonder if they are able to sell some of these items for even a fraction of the worth they are proclaiming.
I don't know, but I do notice the following:

1. The guys are allowed to price their own stuff. So if Jarrod says that a washer is $75, then the counter goes up by $75. Makes it a bit easier to come out ahead if you can make up your own numbers, right?

2. When the purchasers give a price range ("This is a $300-500 piece of furniture"), the counter almost always increases by the higher of the two numbers. I've only seen it once where the counter did not go up at the highest number, and that's when Dave said that something is worth "3, 4, 5-thousand dollars" and the counter went up only $4k.

Sometimes I wonder why Darrell is on the show... half the time he doesn't buy anything. There was an episode this season where he's lamenting his life and he says "I've got a lot of crap going on in the past few months... another divorce, a child-custody fight, and a home invasion." It was funny, the casual, "oh, yeah" attitude he mentioned the home invasion with, using the same tone of voice I would use when remembering a flat tire from 4 months ago that inconvenienced my trip to the corner store.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Storage Wars ran an end-of-season review show where they sat down with the producer to talk about it. They did mention that they also buy dozens of units with nothing valuable in them. So it's not staged, but edited to remove the boring bits.
It did confirm our thoughts about Jarrod and Brandy's relationship:

1. They're not married.
2. They met when she was a stripper and he was "management" at the strip club.

My wife was sure about #1, I was positive about #2. Glad we were both correct.

Dave Hestert is my favorite buyer, by far. The show would be rather boring without him, imho.

Last edited by JohnT; 09-16-2011 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Don't think it will, he and his wife just bought a bigger house to store all their stuff.

I just wonder where all these storage units come from and why anyone would leave anything valuable in them. I know if I was going to lose one I would get all the good stuff out and not worry about the rest. Then again my mother had one that I should have just let them auction off, not a thing in there.
My niece had control over a lot of family heirlooms (I don't know if any of it was very valuable) and had them in a storage locker. She had a rather nasty slip into Methamphetamine use and before anyone knew what was up, the locker was gone for lack of payment.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Sometimes it's not obvious that there is something valuable there and the owners may not have realized. But sometimes it is obvious. On one episode of Storage Wars, there was a unit that contained brand-new vending machines. Dave won the auction with a bid of $2-3,000 and sold them for about $30,000. How much was owed on that unit that the owner let it go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Dave Hestert is my favorite buyer, by far. The show would be rather boring without him, imho.
What I don't like is that he's unnecessarily antagonistic. Even in the post-season wrap-up show, he was challenging the others as to how much revenue they made over the year, or even how much cash they had in their wallets.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhair75 View Post
My niece had control over a lot of family heirlooms (I don't know if any of it was very valuable) and had them in a storage locker. She had a rather nasty slip into Methamphetamine use and before anyone knew what was up, the locker was gone for lack of payment.
Family heirlooms are always valuable, at least to the family. I'm pretty sure I lost a few things when my mom died. How long do they give people? The few times I've gotten storage lockers they were always on credit cards.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
What I don't like is that he's unnecessarily antagonistic. Even in the post-season wrap-up show, he was challenging the others as to how much revenue they made over the year, or even how much cash they had in their wallets.
Well, yeah. Dave's not intimidated by any buyers.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkstar View Post
I'm sure both shows only highlights their "best scores", because I don't think people would watch if they only found old underwear and used toasters. This does not necessarily mean that the entire show is staged though. I still think the producers may "seed" a few units though, probably after they buy them.

I totally agree with JohnT's comments about the folks on Storage Wars pricing their own items "Oh I can get $200 for that, $300 for this, and that's a $400 table"... Cha ching, the counter goes to $800. Ya right. When they sell the stuff they probably get $150 for the lot. Dave H. is probably the worst for this.
At least on Auction Hunters, we usually get to see them sell the stuff for cash.

I want to see the Storage Wars folks go head to head against the Auction Hunters dudes. My money would be on the Auction Hunters guys, because they set a top limit for bidding and never go over it. They look more business like.

And Dave Hestert is evil. A show needs an evil character for the folks at home to boo and hiss at. It's just like the Straight Dope, where we all love to hate the posters like (insert name here)

Last edited by Euphonious Polemic; 09-16-2011 at 11:23 AM. Reason: spellig
Old 09-16-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:

Yuuup. I begin admiring his work ethic, and then become repelled by the constant insecure one-ups-manship.

JohnT, I must have missed the part talking about Jerrod and Brandi's strip club work.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
I just wonder where all these storage units come from and why anyone would leave anything valuable in them. I know if I was going to lose one I would get all the good stuff out and not worry about the rest.
Once you're slightly behind on your payments, they put a lock on the unit until you pay up, so you can't just go in and grab the good stuff. This happened to a friend of mine. She was able to pay before it was auctioned off, though (and, having been the one who helped her move into the unit, I know for a fact anyone who had purchased it would have been sorely disappointed).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic
And Dave Hestert is evil. A show needs an evil character for the folks at home to boo and hiss at.
See, I know that, I know they (and he) think he's the "character you love to hate!", but I just hate him. I don't find him enjoyable to watch, even in a 'bad guy' way. He's just annoying and unlikable. I'm less inclined to watch the show because of him, and he's one of the main reasons I actually enjoy the other show more.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
On the Hoarders snark page we've called Storage Wars "Pre-Hoarders." Intervention is "Drug Hoarders" and Heavy was "Calorie Hoarders."
Old 09-16-2011, 11:46 AM

I have a relative that was interested in this stuff, so I've watched some blocks of Storage Wars in the past couple weeks and caught a little bit of Auction Hunters. (So I can't really comment on the latter.) I DVR the show so I can skip thru the bidding and such which is boring and then some.

They are clearly seeding the lockers in Storage Wars. Darell's son buys a tiny locker full of women's clothes and in the middle of it are Shelley Duvall's Olive Oyl shoes from Popeye, complete with certificate of authenticity. Yeah, right.

I know they are skipping over some of the less interesting lockers, but in some episodes the Dotsons opening mentions how many lockers are up for sale and they've been numbers as low as 4-6 and still a couple of the buyers find treasures. The odds just don't add up.

(I also suspect the producers are subsiding their stars so that they win enough lockers to fill a show.)

The only thing about the seeding issue is that sometimes the item is visible before the auction. E.g., the pool cue stand that Barry won. OTOH, there is no reason to believe that the footage of the locker was actually taken before the auction and not staged afterwards.

While it might seem ridiculous that someone would leave hundreds of poker chips and cash in a locker, well, that stuff happens. There was even the locker with the Jaguar that was going to auctioned off at some other time. (Which still didn't stop people from talking about how much it would go for. Uh, Laura said it wasn't included so forget it you idiots.)

Yeah, the estimates of value of as they are cleaning out the units are stupid. They get excited about DVD players and even old video games. Most of these are worthless even if they power on, which they probably don't. And don't get me started on the claims for the value of 20-30 year old TVs.

And "That fridge is worth $300." No it isn't. It was a $300 fridge when it was new. It's not a nice side-by-side or anything. And you have no idea if it even still works. Plus you have to put in a lot of effort to move it, check it out, etc. One thrift store in our area has a professional appliance guy who checks and fixes things before they put them out. Even then an ordinary fridge is like $150 and he's donating his time. Sheesh.

Other annoyances: Hesert gets excited about finding a Strad and takes it in for appraisal and it's junk of course. Clearly a plant and clearly he was acting. An experienced guy like him would know it was a fake and not start doing the retirement money talk.

Hesert is my least favorite. Phony braggart loser. If the others are right and his business is going under, well, that's good.

Barry is my fave. Especially since he's only it for the fun of getting something interesting. The money doesn't matter.

Darrell is a multi-time loser and this show is going to put him thru another cycle. Oh well.

Jarrod and Brandi at least are not actually married so the divorce isn't going to be messy. But there are kids involved which won't be good.

Laura Dotson needs to do a calendar.

My concern is that these shows will tempt too many people with borderline finances into going into this business. Unless you have a cheap storefront where you can sell thousands of $1 items a week, you are going to lose your shirt.

And why doesn't everyone bring a working flashlight with them? Good grief.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vita Beata View Post
Yuuup. I begin admiring his work ethic, and then become repelled by the constant insecure one-ups-manship.

JohnT, I must have missed the part talking about Jerrod and Brandi's strip club work.
There were (I think) two specials, one an end-of-season-one special, and another one where they just talked about the show, introduced the spinoff people (apparently here in TX), etc. The one I didn't watch was where they auctioned off a motorcycle - that's still on the TIVO.

They didn't exactly say that Brandi stripped, but they were very coy and hesitant about where they met... "Brandi was a... hostess... at a business that I managed", then there have been a couple of comments in past episodes that hinted that she stripped, including one about "Brandi always has to bring the conversation about stripping" from Jarrod. You don't necessarily speak like this if you met your wife while she was doing secretarial work for your Dad's company.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:43 PM

The one thing I definitely think is staged on Auction Hung\ters is the "Negotiation". Not necessarily the final price, but the back and forth haggling. I gotta believe the saile is agreed to before the show the "negotiation".

Last edited by Gangster Octopus; 09-16-2011 at 01:43 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:03 PM
Charter Member

One show I always suspected of seeding was Scrapheap Challenge/Junkyard Wars. The show featured two teams of three or four people who were asked to build a machine to do something (throw an item, or crush a car, say) out of what they could find in a scrapheap/junkyard. I found it hard to believe that the teams could find some of the things they used to build their machine in a typical junkyard (although I can't remember an example).
Old 09-16-2011, 03:53 PM

As for Auction Hunters, of course it is fake. Look at Allen Haff's previous credits on IMDB and you'll see that he's an actor.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:00 PM
BANNED

Brandi's cute. So Storage Wars has a definite advantage over Auction Hunters.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeylucifer View Post
As for Auction Hunters, of course it is fake. Look at Allen Haff's previous credits on IMDB and you'll see that he's an actor.
Umm, lots of folks in Los Angeles who are actors do others things as well. Most likely his connections in the entertainment industry allowed him to make a show out of what he does to actually pay the rent.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
He may well be an actor, and seems to have done a few very tiny bit parts, but it does seem he has the background for the Auction Hunters job: from the IMDB:

Quote:
Haff bought and sold his way through college in southern Michigan and, following graduation, moved south. By the age of 24 he owned his first antique business in Houston, Texas and was also one of the earliest eBay sellers of vintage collectibles online before moving to California ten years ago.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
And Dave Hestert is evil.
In real life, he's a very nice guy - friendly, happy to discuss the show and pleased to meet fans. I was in Newport on vacation over the summer and decided to drop in his consignment store to see what it was like. I was surprised to find him working behind the counter, and he seemed really amused that someone from Ohio took the time to visit. He chatted with my teenage son and my stepbrother, and asked us if we wanted to take a photo.

Obligatory yuuuuuuuuuuuuup! (pardon my bedraggled appearance - I had been on a boat in the rain all morning and was sunburnt to boot)

Last edited by jay-c; 09-16-2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:29 PM

I was amused about everyone hating Dave until Mark shows up with his huge bankroll and disco-era outfits. Then Dave gets the "He may be an asshole, but he's our asshole" treatment, and everyone gangs up on Mark.

I'm still not entirely sure what Darrell does for a living. Jarrod and Dave run their stores, Barry pretty much junks anything that's not interesting, but Darrell, when he does buy a locker, claims to be getting the same time of prices Dave/Jarrod are, but with no obvious means of selling. Where does he unload a pile of women's clothes and a cheap mirror?
Old 09-16-2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzeiger View Post
I was amused about everyone hating Dave until Mark shows up with his huge bankroll and disco-era outfits. Then Dave gets the "He may be an asshole, but he's our asshole" treatment, and everyone gangs up on Mark.

I'm still not entirely sure what Darrell does for a living. Jarrod and Dave run their stores, Barry pretty much junks anything that's not interesting, but Darrell, when he does buy a locker, claims to be getting the same time of prices Dave/Jarrod are, but with no obvious means of selling. Where does he unload a pile of women's clothes and a cheap mirror?
He talks on several episodes about "filling tables at the swap meet", so I assume that's at least part of the way he unloads junk.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I didn't understand the motivation of that guy Mark. So what if he's got a big bankroll and can outbid the others for storage units? The real question is whether he can make money when he bids up the prices that high.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

My wife and I theorize that the guy isn't really all there mentally and that he comes from a wealthy family that doesn't mind humoring him. Anybody else see the $13,000 NES episode? He essentially saw some eBay bid for a NES that went for $13k and figured that (a) all old NES's would go for that amount, and (b), the eBay bid was a legitimate bid. Nobody sane could believe that!
Old 09-16-2011, 06:19 PM

Quote:
By that measurement every show is fake. California is filled with people who want to act and just might have a threadbare IMDb page.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
hah! good find! he strikes me as a huge phony, must be that he's just a bad actor. i'm going with that show being 100% fake, and i want to believe that storage wars is real. plus i don't think brandi was a stripper, i swear jarrod said it was a restaurant or something like that. but, i would like to see brandi strip

btw, it's dave hester for those saying hesert. and i hate him, he's so arrogant.

barry ticks me off (but i love him)how he just trashes everything in search of one special item...

and i'm pretty sure they are getting paid well since jarrod and brandi are sporting a new car or truck all the time. do thrift stores really make a huge profit?
Old 09-17-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
lol i got to see him die in the trailer for altered species. yay!
Old 09-18-2011, 03:09 AM

I LOVE Auction Hunters. I cannot stop watching.

Storage Wars, not so much. Probably just because I don't like wanting to punch people, and I want to punch Dave.

Seriously, there is no actual business advantage in being a dick.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drastic_quench View Post
By that measurement every show is fake. California is filled with people who want to act and just might have a threadbare IMDb page.
And many of them end up in fake "reality shows".
Old 09-30-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
I totally agree with JohnT's comments about the folks on Storage Wars pricing their own items "Oh I can get $200 for that, $300 for this, and that's a $400 table"... Cha ching, the counter goes to $800. Ya right. When they sell the stuff they probably get $150 for the lot. Dave H. is probably the worst for this.
I am still watching and this is pissing me off.

Saw a repeat of episode where he bought a locker with several art pieces. There was one without a frame and he didn't know the artist but said 'I would ask $500 for that' and the counter went up 500 bucks.

I was thinking 'you may ask for 500 you ain't getting 500'.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
My wife and I theorize that the guy isn't really all there mentally and that he comes from a wealthy family that doesn't mind humoring him. Anybody else see the $13,000 NES episode? He essentially saw some eBay bid for a NES that went for $13k and figured that (a) all old NES's would go for that amount, and (b), the eBay bid was a legitimate bid. Nobody sane could believe that!
I saw that episode and I knew of the auction before the episode. It was a legit auction, but the big ticket item wasn't the console. It was the mint copy of Bandai Stadium Events bundled with it, which is like the second rarest NES cartridge ever.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
I'm still not entirely sure what Darrell does for a living.
Darell resells stuff at booth in a flea market. So he's looking for large amounts of resellable stuff. He talks about reselling things, e.g., the $30 mirror in the locker he paid $3? for.

Low end stuff like clothes, knick-knacks and cheapo furniture are not his thing. Not really worth transporting, cleaning up, sorting thru, etc. Hence the $400 locker he gave to Dave once he realized it was going to be a pain to clean out.

He is clearly living closer to the edge than the others. And two of the others are apparently pretty close to going under anyway.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

What other two? Brandi/Jarrod? Jarrod/Barry?
Old 10-01-2011, 06:22 PM

J&B's store is reportedly in trouble (within the "reality show" universe) and Hester's supposedly overextended with his new auction business. J&B are newcomers to the business and are still getting a feel for things. Hester is old hat and has a bigger business but he also seems to be taking bigger risks. He needs a lot of big ticket items to maintain his operations.

Barry is apparently wealthy enough that he doesn't care about losing hundreds of dollars here and there.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:14 PM

I have a friend who owns some storage units. She said often, after she pays for the certified letters and things she has to do before she can open the unit, she doesn't make enough money off the contents of the unit to cover the unpaid rent. Once in a great while, however, she will find some really nice furniture or something. The units are in the backwoods of Alabama so it's not like there are lots of rich folks around.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:27 PM

Brandi JUST said, (in what seems to be the first episode), that she's Jarrod's wife.

I guess they/she lied.

BTW, she's cute, and part of the reason I watch.

Last edited by MyFootsZZZ; 01-03-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:51 PM

I don't believe they seed the lockers. That's pretty unethical and would lead to quite a black eye for the show. Also, in the earlier example, who says to themselves, "We need to add a valuable item to this locker. I know, Olive Oyl's shoes!" Who's that randomly creative? If they were seeding, I would expect more conventional finds like antique chairs or paintings.

I think it's just that they buy 20 lockers for every one that gets on the show. They only hit jackpots once every couple of shows, so that's a pretty low ratio if they're buying (say) 80 lockers per show.

I'm not surprised to see somebody like Mark try to step in and get some coverage on the show. It's a free world and somebody who REALLY wants to get on TV could just follow the Dotsons around and buy most of the lockers.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

In the SW season 1 recap, Brandi states that she is not married to Jarrod... but they are common law spouses, I'm sure.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

What I wonder about, on American Pickers/Storage Wars/Auction Hunters/Pawn Stars, is who's paying for all those professional appraisals? Either the show stars go to the expert's place (usually so on AP/SW/AH) or the expert comes in (usually so on PS), the item is looked over, assessed for authenticity, condition, etc., and a value in most cases is put on it. Occasionally the expert is invited to buy the item; often his/her role ends with the appraisal.

Now, people who perform that kind of appraisal generally don't do it for free; it's part of their livelihood to provide such services. I have to believe that a reasonable fee for their time would often consume more of the item's value than the show star could afford as a cost of acquisition and still turn a profit. So who pays?

I just posted this in the American Pickers thread, by the way.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:59 PM

On Auction Hunters it seems that almost always they are trying to sell it to the person doing the appraisal. They certainly have some standard connection (they seem to go to the same guy for guns). My guess is the appraisal is free and the person then gets the opportunity at first dibs on the item. You frequently hear them saying how they need to make something off it. That is my guess for at least some of it, also, they are not getting official certified appraisals most of the time, just some person who agrees to take a look at it.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

Yes, for Auction Hunters that is how they roll, and it seems reasonably real to me. In Storage Wars, though, they never seem to try to sell the item to the person doing the appraisal. Oh, once in a great while that friend of Barry's with the funky shop will buy something, in fact he bought the metal horse head from Brandi and Jarrod. American Pickers will sometimes sell to the person they show the item to, more often that SW but less often than AH.

I believe it's Pawn Stars that seems to have a plethora of "buddies" just dying to assess collectibles for no apparent fee. Monthly or annual retainer, maybe?