The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > The Game Room

Old 04-10-2017, 07:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
I love that Jim Cornette shirt. He looks like he's about to make a smartass comment and thoroughly enjoy doing so.
It's based on a still from a shoot video Cornette did somewhere around 2000. He sells the shirt on his website.

It got me a few compliments from the other smarks in the front row. I found myself chatting with the guy next to me about how I disagree with Cornette on a lot of things but I love listening to him rant about things that make him angry, and him being amazed that he's only about 5 or 6 years older than the guy that he used to watch on TV when he was a kid.
Advertisements  
Old 04-10-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
They mentioned Ellering, but I hadn't seen him in a match yet. He also managed Jake Roberts in GCW, but the Road Warriors were his mainstays.
He's in the second-earliest show, having just come off of an injury of some sort, although he may not actually wrestle until the third one. He was involved in the Iron Sheik's Persian Club challenge. I don't know what impressed me more...
SPOILER:
Ellering doing 50 reps, or Sheik doing 100
I saw him do something similar on the old (pre-WWF) GCW show, where he did a chair-step exercise (set up a folding chair; one foot up on the seat, then the other, then the first foot back down, then the second foot down, then the first foot up and down in place, then the second foot up on the chair, and so on) for an entire hour (supposedly - he could have taken a break during commercials, although I think the crowd would have reacted).
Old 04-10-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
I saw him do something similar on the old (pre-WWF) GCW show, where he did a chair-step exercise (set up a folding chair; one foot up on the seat, then the other, then the first foot back down, then the second foot down, then the first foot up and down in place, then the second foot up on the chair, and so on) for an entire hour (supposedly - he could have taken a break during commercials, although I think the crowd would have reacted).
I remember that episode. He kept ranting the whole time while stepping. That's kind of awesome, considering that he had to keep a breathing cycle going at the same time.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:05 PM

Ric Flair was reportedly kicked out of a bar in Ft. Wayne Indiana for being obnoxious.

Funny for a few different reasons:

1. Flair doing Flair things

2. Ft. Wayne is my hometown, and the bar he got kicked out of is a place I've taken multiple girls on dates, so I know exactly where he was when he got kicked out.

3. Why he was in Ft. Wayne I'll never know....

Last edited by Sir T-Cups; 04-10-2017 at 01:06 PM..
Old 04-10-2017, 10:04 PM

Geez, Apollo Crews moves to RAW but doesn't get an appearance.

Half wanted a brief cutaway to catering, where he's picking some food with his back to the camera saying "I can stand in catering on RAW too if that's all they've got for me."
Old 04-11-2017, 07:20 AM

I've been digging Mid-South. It's cool to see guys like Jim Duggan as they were starting out and finding their identities. The show is so low key compared to today's WWE. Maybe 5-10% of the show is used up by promos and video recaps. If somebody wins a title, they don't take up too much time in the aftermath and go direct to commercial break.

Head booker Bill Watts is conservative, so he doesn't let anybody get overly emotional for long. He prohibited moves off the top rope, which actually saves time and keeps the action flowing. What's also cool is that the last match is usually between two jobbers for TV time remaining. It's not filled with fluff and pointless recaps and promos.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:32 AM

What a weird show last night was. I was expecting a more formal "draft-day" type shakeup, but instead we just got random people walking though the curtain.

I'm assuming the same thing will happen tonight? At least it looks like (for now) that AJ is staying on SD which is absolutely the right decision.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:38 PM

So we're not getting Miz v. Nakamura after all?
Old 04-11-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
I'm assuming the same thing will happen tonight?
Presumably. The name I hear tossed around the most concerning being moved to SD is Charlotte, which would explain her loss last night.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

There's got to be some big names on the Men's side moving... with Bray, Miz and Dean going to Raw. Nakamura and Dillinger getting called up to SD helps offset that, but that doesn't seem enough.
Kevin Owens would make sense in a lot of ways as there's now a title imbalance. I was guessing Balor, but since they teased Bray/Balor that doesn't make sense. Maybe Seamus/Cesaro? Enzo & Cass?
Old 04-11-2017, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
There's got to be some big names on the Men's side moving... with Bray, Miz and Dean going to Raw. Nakamura and Dillinger getting called up to SD helps offset that, but that doesn't seem enough.
Kevin Owens would make sense in a lot of ways as there's now a title imbalance. I was guessing Balor, but since they teased Bray/Balor that doesn't make sense. Maybe Seamus/Cesaro? Enzo & Cass?
I'm against moving KO because I want Sami Zayn moved and I'm soooo goddamn tired of KO vs. Sami...I want them to be apart for a long time and that can't happen if they're both always on the same show.

I want The Club to move because I want a PROPER club. Also I think a dominant Heel Stable would be cool to have.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:55 PM

Braun Stroman must be the most over babyface ever. The crowd was hollering "Thank you Stroman!" during the attack and singing Hey Hey Hey Goodbye as the ambulance drove away. I marked out over the Freddie Krueger moments.

Wonder if WWE purposely leaked false info to the dirt sheets? None of their predictions have come true yet.

Oh Alexa, you mean little bitch you. Please be my ex-wife.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:24 PM

Yup, Charlotte and Tamika got moved over, as well as both Sami and KO and a bunch of others.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:24 AM

I did mark out when KO looked like he was about to vomit when Sami Zayn crossed over, and I know it pisses STC off. :-) However, Zayn and Styles looked magnificent together, and Corbin wasn't so bad himself. I'd rather have Anderson & Gallows cross over instead of Primo & Epico, but I guess American Alpha needs somebody to put them over while ND steals their heat.

Is the only way Mojo Rawley getting over is to have Gronk at the shows? Why couldn't Jinder have given him the concussion instead of Finn? At least nobody would notice since Mojo is already brain dead. He's the new Roman Reigns.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:31 PM

FIRE THAT MEANIE BRAUN STROWMAN FOR BEING SO MEAN TO ROMAN!
Old 04-12-2017, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
FIRE THAT MEANIE BRAUN STROWMAN FOR BEING SO MEAN TO ROMAN!
That girl has a shift key issue. Still, that is pretty hilarious. This is what happens when 7-year-olds have unsupervised access to the internet.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:04 PM

1,963 supporters.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:34 AM

Speaking of, I find it worth mentioning that Ms. Cups was absolutely losing her shit during that entire sequence.

I'm talking "tears down her face, red faced, gasping for breath" laughter. Everything from the stretcher being pushed off the ledge to the ambulance turn just cranked her up to another level.

If only I could make her laugh that hard!
Old 04-17-2017, 10:17 AM

This is too low and needs a bump....

This weekend I marathoned a bunch of Angie Tribeca, and the actor who plays Dario Cueto was in an episode and it threw me sooooo off.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:36 AM

I was listening to some Jim Cornette interviews on YouTube and I'm convinced he snorts coke. He's definitely passionate and opinionated, and a little paranoid to boot. He was ranting about Vince Russo and alleged that he and Jeff Jarrett had some sort of Christian thing going on...

He's definitely old school, and I can see how the old formulas and routines are valid, but times and tastes change. He quoted Bobby Heenan's lament that the news nowadays was so horrible, there was nothing they could do make people hate heels any more. Also, things like closed fists, piledrivers, and off-the-top-rope attacks are no longer illegal, so there's hardly any way heels can cheat.

I think that's why Miz is WWE's number one heel. He plays the entitled douchebag role to the hilt, which is universally scorned and doesn't depend on world political situations. Nowadays, the number one issue that draws heel heat is overexposure, but that's just a smark issue.

Latest victims of the NXT callup curse -- the Revival. Dash Wilder to miss 8 weeks for a broken jaw.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:28 AM

Quote:
I was listening to some Jim Cornette interviews on YouTube and I'm convinced he snorts coke. He's definitely passionate and opinionated, and a little paranoid to boot. He was ranting about Vince Russo and alleged that he and Jeff Jarrett had some sort of Christian thing going on...

He's definitely old school, and I can see how the old formulas and routines are valid, but times and tastes change. He quoted Bobby Heenan's lament that the news nowadays was so horrible, there was nothing they could do make people hate heels any more. Also, things like closed fists, piledrivers, and off-the-top-rope attacks are no longer illegal, so there's hardly any way heels can cheat.

I think that's why Miz is WWE's number one heel. He plays the entitled douchebag role to the hilt, which is universally scorned and doesn't depend on world political situations. Nowadays, the number one issue that draws heel heat is overexposure, but that's just a smark issue.

Latest victims of the NXT callup curse -- the Revival. Dash Wilder to miss 8 weeks for a broken jaw.
Apparently from a GTS from Hideo during a house show. Given Hideo's own injury track record, I'm surprised Apollo Crews wasn't somehow hurt during their promo.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Apparently from a GTS from Hideo during a house show. Given Hideo's own injury track record, I'm surprised Apollo Crews wasn't somehow hurt during their promo.
Injury or getting into a program with Titus O'Neil...Apollo was probably weighing his options.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:30 PM

A highjack, but I was watching some Bret Hart interviews on Youtube and he is in fact as big as an asshole as people in wrestling said he was. I think the Montreal Screwjob and his later stroke made people shy from saying that, Bret's autobiography revelations about his drugs and adultery seems to have caught most fans and none of his colleagues by surprise.

Here he claims Davy Boy was drugged throughout the Summer Slam match. Dude, I have seen that match a dozen times, Davy put out one of the best performances of his career.
He is a bitter and a conceited man.
How he was screwed out of credit for the ladder match, let's face it, his style of wrestling makes for a very boring Ladder match.

Scott Hall mentions that Bret Hart had a portrait of himself wrestling over his bed.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:37 PM

Bret Hart is just another guy who bought his own hype.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:59 PM

I remember Bret had one of the most boring promos period. He sat in a wheelchair and bitched at Sean Michaels for fucking ever. I kept switching to Nitro, and when I came back, he was still whining. No wonder he got screwed.

Last edited by Knowed Out; 04-18-2017 at 01:59 PM..
Old 04-18-2017, 02:45 PM

I think Bret is upset he never got to be the long-term face of the company, his heyday was roughly from 1993-1997, with breaks in between. Did not get to the heights Austin, Shawn and the Rock did or Hogan earlier.

He was an excellent technical wrestler, but his mic skills were lousy, he sounded like someone's Dad, the WCW was not totally responsible for misusing him, he just did not offer much besides consistancy.
Frankly, if anything he overachieved. Vince turned to him because in that timeframe he had literally no one else and Bret fails to realize this. He thinks the WWF/WWE was stupid not to realise how over he was in Europe and Asia, but he does not realise that he was over because he happened to be champion at the time the WWF/WWE began to get exposure outside N America and Japan, Brutus the Barber Beefcake would have been over,

I am also still miffed at his hatchet job on Davy.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:20 PM

Never thought he had any high ground on the "screwjob" either. Just basic business. You drop the title on your way out the door. If you don't, it will be taken from you.

Frankly, the guy is approaching Helwig territory with me. Just shut the hell up already, Bret. Go home. Live a normal life. Get a job at Tim Hortons. Or second though, don't. You'd get fired for whining all day to paying customers.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:44 AM

He fought good matches, but lets face it he needed guys who were capable of matching him. Put him in a ring with say one of the Hardy boys and its a snoozefest, like a Lion fighting an octopus in space.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:59 AM

I liked him in the Hart Foundation, but it was mainly because The Anvil and Jimmy Hart provided the personality while he did all the technical stuff. When he went solo, I lost interest and turned to Nitro whenever he was on. Then he came to Nitro and I switched back.

SD is pushing Jinder Mahal and the newly named Colons. Jinder packed on more steroid flesh and has some stooges to take falls for him, so maybe that'll work out. He made Finn's face warp like silly putty with his elbow strike, so he looks legit dangerous. Not so sure with the Colons, though. They couldn't get over as the Matadors without El Torito, and their Shining Stars gimmick turned into black holes.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:59 AM

Well, I for one am happy with the attempt, because for all the 'Land of Opportunity' crap and talking about stars getting themselves over, they can't do it if they're never given the opportunity to get over. Jinder is getting a push. Good for him. Not entirely credible to throw him straight at Randy Orton, but it gives Jinder a prominent position to put up or shut up. It he does well, I would hope to see him get more opportunities, possible an IC/US title fued. If he sucks, then he's basically washed himself out.

Same with the Colons. They've been in purgatory for a long time and they can be so much better than that.

Besides, a Jinder/Bollywood Boys stable gives them another 3 man group and gives them faces to push in India. The Colons help the hispanic market, especially when.. ahem, who the fuck else do they have right now?
Old 04-19-2017, 10:01 AM

I was never a fan of Bret Hart, but I guess I didn't hate him either. He was always pretty neutral towards me. I'm still too ignorant to really understand workrate and technical wrestling and all that. I know of them, I can probably spot the good ones and the bad ones, but they're vague enough to not mean that particularly much to me.

As for this week's product: A perfectly forgettable week of wrestling. I'm not hating the Ginger Mahal push too much because he's different, not a bad wrestler and looks evil. Not even hating on giving Primo and Epico a new gimmick because they were certainly going nowhere fast.

Impact is back in town, but I have a friend coming in from out of town because we have Disney races this weekend, so I won't be able to go to any of the shows.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:22 AM

Huh. I guess I'll be the dissenting voice, then: Bret Hart is my favorite wrestler of all time. Bitter or not, mark for himself or not, I'm still Team Bret, all the way.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
Same with the Colons. They've been in purgatory for a long time and they can be so much better than that.

Besides, a Jinder/Bollywood Boys stable gives them another 3 man group and gives them faces to push in India. The Colons help the hispanic market, especially when.. ahem, who the fuck else do they have right now?
Calisto and Sin Cara, maybe? Calisto did get a US Title run.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
This is the rumor I'm reading right now.

The push for Ginger and the callup/name change for the Bollywood Boyz is because they're going to form some kind of Indian faction and try and spark interest in the country.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:17 AM

As long as they don't bring back Great Khali.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Nobody has time for him to walk to the ring anymore. Raw is only three hours long!
Old 04-20-2017, 08:35 AM

Just finished watching RAW. That was a hell of a main event, I expected that thing to be over in no time but Show kept going and there aren't many opportunities to see two behemoths in a decent match. Ok, lots of stalling, mainly for Show I'm sure, but still an impressive match that was more PPV level instead of TV. Wonder if they rigged that ring. I thing Show and Mark Henry ended up collapsing the ring once.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
Just finished watching RAW. That was a hell of a main event, I expected that thing to be over in no time but Show kept going and there aren't many opportunities to see two behemoths in a decent match. Ok, lots of stalling, mainly for Show I'm sure, but still an impressive match that was more PPV level instead of TV. Wonder if they rigged that ring. I thing Show and Mark Henry ended up collapsing the ring once.
It was definitely rigged. You can tell because the usual videoboards on the posts and at the edge of the ring weren't there.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
It was definitely rigged. You can tell because the usual videoboards on the posts and at the edge of the ring weren't there.
That was my assumption. The ring posts were bare. Still a pretty dangerous stunt.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:29 AM

Big Show and Brock Lesnar were the first to collapse the ring with a Superflex. I think BS let slip in an interview that they installed air bags under the ring prior to the event and collapsed them as the two hit the mat. It's uncanny that BS is still alive after all the sick bumps he's taken in his career.

I don't know if my eyes are bad, but I'm watching this week's NXT and it looks like they deresed a logo on a guy wearing a brown shirt in the front row. What does WWE fear enough to do that? Broken Hardys maybe?
Old 04-20-2017, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

Ring collapses are always rigged. First one I remember (though probably not the first) was when the late Bam Bam Bigelow and Taz went through a section of the ring (about the 17:45 mark) at Living Dangerously. Great match, awesome finish.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Relevant.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds View Post
Ring collapses are always rigged. First one I remember (though probably not the first) was when the late Bam Bam Bigelow and Taz went through a section of the ring (about the 17:45 mark) at Living Dangerously. Great match, awesome finish.
I believe the ring collapse in the original ECW when fans swarmed the ring was real. And intentional or not it's quite dangerous. Not exactly a safe sportertainment altogether though.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
EXCUSE ME! I CAN HEAR YOUR SPINE GROWING!

Whoa, that was sick.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
Ok, that was good. Thanks for posting it.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:35 PM

Impact spoiler

A girl who I know who works at all the shows let slip that Magnus is back for tonight's tapings. Don't know what that all entails, but he's here at least.

Can't go to any tapings because it's Disney's Star Wars races and Ms. Cups, my old roommate and I are running all weekend.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:51 PM

Ah, the life of an Orlando resident...

Impact and GFW have merged, so they have a few more belts. Double J no longer needs to host Tupperware parties.

Maggie promo'd displeasure for ADR, so they gonna feud.

They need to drop the Josh Matthews angle. It's as annoying as Michael Cole's heel turn.

Otherwise, I like the way they're revamping the X Division. Killer 6-way match featuring the return of a few X-Division vets like Suicide and Sonjay Dutt. For some reason Low Ki was wearing a suit throughout it all and they had him win the belt. What happened to the days of lengthy feuds for belts? Must be how they lure talent back.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:43 PM

Quote:
the X Division. Killer 6-way match featuring the return of a few X-Division vets like Suicide and Sonjay Dutt. For some reason Low Ki was wearing a suit throughout it all and they had him win the belt. What happened to the days of lengthy feuds for belts? Must be how they lure talent back.
Apparently he's been running a gimmick essentially copying Agent 47 from the Hitman video games. Not exactly "Kaval, international ladies man" but I guess it'll do.

The annoying thing, though, was that they did have a longer-term feud ongoing that they even referenced--Andrew Everett being kicked out of the Helm's Dynasty and fighting Trevor Lee for a title shot, and they tossed it out to give the belt to Low Ki. Rather reminiscent of he old days of tossing everything aside any time any ex-midcard WWE talent was available.

Last edited by dzeiger; 04-21-2017 at 08:44 PM..
Old 04-22-2017, 06:48 AM

True dat. Everett and Lee could feud until they're both in wheelchairs and strangle each other with their IVs as far as I'm concerned. That has to suck that they've both busted their asses only to be told sorry, your talent isn't drawing ratings, so we have to bring back some name recognition.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
True dat. Everett and Lee could feud until they're both in wheelchairs and strangle each other with their IVs as far as I'm concerned. That has to suck that they've both busted their asses only to be told sorry, your talent isn't drawing ratings, so we have to bring back some name recognition.
I blame their look. It's not really their fault per se, but I am 1000% impressed with them every single tie I see one of them wrestle (much less both), but they're just so damn ugly. No one is going to want a t-shirt with them on it ya know?