Old 04-19-2017, 08:06 AM

Aaron Hernandez found dead in cell.

Aaron's troubled life transcended sports. Stand out career in college, but he always had a violent side.

Interesting timeline of his life spiraling out of control. The one bright moment was his acquittal on a double murder charge April 14.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/04/19...lent-life.html

It ended with him hanging himself in his cell.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/04/19...cials-say.html

Sometimes you just can't save people from themselves. It's such a tragedy.

Last edited by aceplace57; 04-19-2017 at 08:11 AM.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
The one bright moment was his acquittal on a double murder charge April 14.
If that's the bright moment of his life, that's a very blighted life.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:42 AM

That's as good as it gets for Aaron.

The guy had alleged gang affiliations going back to high school.

Tebow tried to help him in college. Steer him away from trouble. There's not much anyone can to do when someone is leading a life like this.

Last edited by aceplace57; 04-19-2017 at 08:44 AM.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

Let's just remind ourselves that if this guy didn't play a popular sport, he would probably be regarded as a monster, just like the Cleveland man who killed a man and posted it to Facebook.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:46 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
Let's just remind ourselves that if this guy didn't play a popular sport, he would probably be regarded as a monster, just like the Cleveland man who killed a man and posted it to Facebook.
If he didn't play pro sports he wouldn't be regarded at all. This would be a local story. To make the news you have to do something more unique than typical gangbanger behavior.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Interesting timeline of his life spiraling out of control. The one bright moment was his acquittal on a double murder charge April 14.
That's horseshit. He had plenty of bright moments - being drafted by an NFL team, making it to the Super Bowl, being signed to a $40 million contract, the birth of his daughter - and he could have chosen at any one of them to step away from a life of violence. He did not.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:56 AM

So he just wanted to be acquitted on the additional murder charges before killing himself? Maybe realizing he's gained nothing from that acquittal. It's over now, add least at the end he did the right thing.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Not a chance. The Facebook guy basically announced and carried out his cold-blooded murder on live TV, Aaron most definitely didn't
Old 04-19-2017, 11:09 AM

Maybe he just wanted to kick it and hang around.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57
The one bright moment was his acquittal on a double murder charge April 14.
"So, Mrs. O'Leary, how is your son?"

"Oh, he was just released from prison for good behavior."

"How proud you must be!"

RIP Aaron Hernandez, but I wouldn't use him as a fine example of a life well lived.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 04-19-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
So he just wanted to be acquitted on the additional murder charges before killing himself? Maybe realizing he's gained nothing from that acquittal. It's over now, add least at the end he did the right thing.
I'm thinking more like he saw his finance & kid last week & realized he'll never get to see them outside of a prison cell again weighed hard on him. It would with me, but then I'm neither a convict or a murderer.

I don't know what's worse for her, saying, "My dad's a murderer" or "My dad committed suicide". I'd think both would weigh heavily on her.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
There were plans to appeal the original murder charge and the one (gun posession) charge he was convicted on last week.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetwood View Post
There were plans to appeal the original murder charge and the one (gun posession) charge he was convicted on last week.
Clearly he didn't think his chance of winning the appeals were all that great.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:00 PM
BANNED

Ok I didn't really look into Hernandez's trial before (the one where he was convicted) - but I just read a Boston Globe article on it from back then and they said that the prosecution could not show a motive for the killing.

Since then, did that become clearer? Were the other two (that supposedly carried out the murder itself) convicted and was their motive exposed?
Old 04-19-2017, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
Not a chance. The Facebook guy basically announced and carried out his cold-blooded murder on live TV, Aaron most definitely didn't
I'm saying that they are both monsters, not that they did exactly the same thing. One apparently snapped and carried out what may have been a series of killings, filming one (maybe more? don't know); the other was implicated in years' worth of depraved violence... and played football.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okrahoma View Post
Ok I didn't really look into Hernandez's trial before (the one where he was convicted) - but I just read a Boston Globe article on it from back then and they said that the prosecution could not show a motive for the killing.

Since then, did that become clearer? Were the other two (that supposedly carried out the murder itself) convicted and was their motive exposed?
The motive was that he thought Lloyd was blabbing about his role in the double murder he was just acquitted of and wanted to shut him up. But since he hadn't been tried for that yet, they couldn't bring it up. I know he was just found not guilty for it but not guilty doesn't mean innocent--he was in it up to his neck.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okrahoma View Post

Motive is not a crucial element of an offense. In order to secure a valid conviction, the prosecution needs to demonstrate the conduct of a criminal or negligent act (actus reus) by the defendant, the intent do knowingly and deliberately commit the act (mens rea), and that both the conduct and mental state were concurrent (don't know the legal term offhand), all "beyond a reasonable doubt" as judged by a jury of peers (in the case of a jury trial) or by a justice (in a bench trial). While the standard for reasonable doubt extent to which circumstantial evidence may be applied is variable and subjective, the prosecution is not requires to present, argue, or prove motive, even though motive is frequently invoked to make the case for intent or to assuage doubt in the case of conflicting or absent eyewitness testimony.

Quote:
I'm saying that they are both monsters, not that they did exactly the same thing. One apparently snapped and carried out what may have been a series of killings, filming one (maybe more? don't know); the other was implicated in years' worth of depraved violence... and played football.
And good riddence to both of them. At this point, it often seems like the NFL would save themselves a lot of time if they just recruited directly from felon populations and build their stadiums attached to maximum security penitentiaries.

Stranger

Last edited by Stranger On A Train; 04-19-2017 at 02:14 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger On A Train View Post
Motive is not a crucial element of an offense.
I didn't question the validity of the conviction. I was curious about the motive and whether it has become clearer what it was since the conviction.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Probably be regarded as a monster? He was a monster.

I notice he managed to kill himself on the day his team visits the White House for their post Super Bowl congrats. One last "fuck you" from him for the road.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

n/m wrong thread.

Last edited by running coach; 04-19-2017 at 03:24 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:28 PM

Apparently, according to Massachusetts law, Hernandez's conviction is now voided. Does this mean his fiancé and daughter would now be entitled to benefits from an NFL pension or life insurance?
Old 04-19-2017, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey1505 View Post
Apparently, according to Massachusetts law, Hernandez's conviction is now voided. Does this mean his fiancé and daughter would now be entitled to benefits from an NFL pension or life insurance?
There is speculation that now they would be free from paying any civil lawsuit awards.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Aaron's troubled life transcended sports. Stand out career in college, but he always had a violent side.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/04/19...lent-life.html

It ended with him hanging himself in his cell.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/04/19...cials-say.html

Sometimes you just can't save people from themselves. It's such a tragedy.
It's far from a tragedy. He just saved the taxpayers a small fortune for his upkeep.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:22 PM

Quote:
I regard him as a POS. Good riddance.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey1505 View Post
'Hey Aaron, now that your dead, we rescind the murder conviction, you are freed to go'. '........cleanup in cell 81' Beautiful slap in his dead face.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Pretty much every high school has at least one person on their football team who could be described this way.

Almost 40 years ago when I was in high school, the ones at my school had drug- and alcohol-soaked orgies which included the gang rape of special ed girls who were invited to the parties for this purpose and I found out about it from a GIRL I worked with who hung with that crowd and attended those parties. No, there wasn't social media but there were Polaroids, which were taken and passed around. Back then, people didn't realize just how wrong this kind of thing was. They also got free passes in class; they could turn in a blank sheet of paper on test day and still get a C so they could stay on the team. It wasn't like our team won, either.

p.s. That girl engaged in other high-risk behaviors, and died in the late 1990s from AIDS.

Last edited by nearwildheaven; 04-19-2017 at 06:34 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:17 PM

Can some one please explain how one hangs them-self with bed sheets in a prison cell?

This is not that uncommon an occurrence. Isn't there some way to make "non hang your self able" type bed sheets?
Old 04-19-2017, 08:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangosteen View Post
Can some one please explain how one hangs them-self with bed sheets in a prison cell?
Its a lot easier if you deflate them.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:32 PM

Quote:

This is not that uncommon an occurrence. Isn't there some way to make "non hang your self able" type bed sheets?
I don't know about prisons, but at the psych hospital I see patients at the mattresses don't have sheets.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

People can get VERY innovative when it comes to killing themselves. I've attended more than a few 'cut downs' of folks found hanging in prisons. And I've seen paper products get turned into cord strong enough to strangle. Then use such ligatures to off themselves, sometimes via using the edge of a bunk to cause hyperflexion of the knees, looping the ligature around their ankles and around their neck, then rolling away from the bunk. The knees extend and strangulation begins. And the person cannot voluntarily flex them enough to relieve the pressure.

It's not pretty. The degree of ingenuity is amazing, and scary. If they'd been half as clever in a positive way, their lives would have been much better.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:47 PM

It appears that Hernandez's conviction will, rightfully, be vacated.

I say "rightfully" because I happen to think that it's important that people have the opportunity to fully participate in their own defense and exhaust every opportunity available to them when charged with crimes, and you can't do that when you're dead.

Sometimes it results in outcomes that maybe don't feel right, and this is probably one of those times, but it's worth it to not have the state be able to drag your name through the mud, via the criminal justice system, without any resistance after you're dead.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:02 PM

Quote:

You just fold the sheet together so it is something like a rope.

But to hang yourself you need something to tie the other end onto (in Aaron's case prison bars). But if don't have something to tie the other end to how would you hang yourself?
Old 04-19-2017, 09:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastTense View Post
You just fold the sheet together so it is something like a rope.

But to hang yourself you need something to tie the other end onto (in Aaron's case prison bars). But if don't have something to tie the other end to how would you hang yourself?
See post #30
Old 04-21-2017, 02:16 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Good fucking riddance to that human trash.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
RIP Aaron Hernandez, but I wouldn't use him as a fine example of a life well lived.
Right. He was given the chance to make it one, but could or would not or maybe had no idea what one looked like to even try. As a commentator wrote, not a tragedy: a waste. Of what multiple lives and families could have been.

Last edited by JRDelirious; 04-21-2017 at 08:01 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:14 AM

The family is donating Aaron's brain to CTE research.

It's an opportunity to see how much brain trauma a player receives after only three years in the NFL.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nbcne...lawyer-n749011

Last edited by aceplace57; 04-21-2017 at 09:16 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

His mental illness was in place long earlier. His scouting report was interesting:
Quote:
An NFL scout revealed his team’s pre-draft file on Hernandez on Thursday, and one section stood out:

“Self-esteem is quite low; not well-adjusted emotionally, not happy, moods unpredictable, not stable, doesn’t take much to set him off, but not an especially jumpy guy,” the scout said.
It's baffling how a guy who could dedicate himself, and all that focused time, to a goal and to subsuming himself in a team atmosphere to the level he achieved could still show so little self-discipline and so little regard for human life off the field. But it's hard to understand anyone else's mental illness if you don't share it.

As for why he did it now, maybe it was because he had his second trial to focus his attentions, and with that over, he saw nothing ahead but years and years with no reason to endure them. Maybe.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Hernandez to his lawyer: "Do you think I can get released on appeal?"

Hernandez' lawyer: "Well, I wouldn't hold my breath."

Regards,
Shodan
Old 04-21-2017, 09:41 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Clearly he didn't think his chance of winning the appeals were all that great.
He may not have any grounds to appeal at all. It's my understanding that in Mass all life sentences are automatically appealed. It could have gone to the appeals court and get a "Nah looks good" from the judges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skara_Brae View Post
There is speculation that now they would be free from paying any civil lawsuit awards.
Not free from paying. It just makes it more difficult. The civil suit was basically on hold while the criminal part was going on. A criminal conviction beyond a reasonable doubt would make a civil case a slum dunk. As it stands now the criminal trial can not be used in the civil trial. All the testimony and evidence can still be presented but it must be presented fresh as if there was no other trial. It makes the civil case more difficult but not impossible.

Last edited by Loach; 04-21-2017 at 09:42 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

Proof once again that talent, luck, fame and fortune don't transcend being an asshole.

The Patriots have had quite a year so far.
Old 04-22-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post

The Patriots have had quite a year so far.
They cut ties with him years ago.
Old 04-22-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
The ties may return if his conviction is thrown out. His family family and the families of his victims will try to obtain any money they can claim he's owed by the Patriots and the NFL. I don't know if those claims have merit, but there's going to be some interaction there.

BTW: Saw a tabloid headline that explains everything. He was killing people to cover up his bisexuality. Since tabloids are always right it finally explains everything.
Old 04-22-2017, 02:45 PM

I'm sure lawyer fees have eaten up a lot of Aaron's estate. Defending a double murder charge doesn't come cheap.

I would hope his long time gf and his daughter gets a big part of whatever is left.

Don't most states give young children priority in dividing up an estate?

Last edited by aceplace57; 04-22-2017 at 02:47 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 02:57 PM

Quote:
I find it shocking how some people saying how sad they feel for Aaron and that he had it all and blah blah blan when he killed 3 people ! The only people I feel bad for is his daughter and the victims families and living in Massachusetts this is going to be on the news for a long time. It looks like there is going to be a lawsuit too , I heard on the news that a jail safety checkup may had been missed when this happen . If this is correct that doesn't look good .
Old 04-22-2017, 02:58 PM
Charter Member

Aaron Hernandez found dead in cell.

I wonder whether brain injuries from football played any part in his personality disorders.

I seem to recall that it was a brain injury from jousting that made Henry VIII a murderous psycho.

Last edited by Acsenray; 04-22-2017 at 03:00 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
They released him the day he was arrested - just as if they knew something like that was going to happen sooner or later.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:28 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
The ties may return if his conviction is thrown out. His family family and the families of his victims will try to obtain any money they can claim he's owed by the Patriots and the NFL. I don't know if those claims have merit, but there's going to be some interaction there.

BTW: Saw a tabloid headline that explains everything. He was killing people to cover up his bisexuality. Since tabloids are always right it finally explains everything.
He is owed nothing by the Patriots. The NFL is set up so that it is very easy for teams to release players without paying them the rest of the contract. There are no guaranteed contracts. Hernandez was released and the contract was void when he was arrested. The his firing was not contingent on his conviction. If for instance he was acquitted on all charges he still wouldn't be a Patriot but would have been able to sign with another team.

Just like many stars he was able to negotiate a guaranteed structured signing bonus. Kind of a hedge against losing everything to injury (or murder arrest). Most of that money had already been paid out before the arrest. There was an additional guaranteed amount reported to be about 3 mil that the Patriots refused to pay. It is just possible that after a court fight the family could get that money but doubtful. Hernandez already attempted to get it and lost.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:29 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
They released him the day he was arrested - just as if they knew something like that was going to happen sooner or later.
All it took to release him was a phone call by Robert Kraft. It's not like they needed months to prepare for it. As it was they did have days since the investigation wasn't a secret.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:59 PM

A waste of a life is always tragic, but this guy was a thug by nature and would have wound up in trouble eventually, no matter what his circumstances.

Killing himself may have been the one selfless thing he did. By taking advantage of Mass law to essentially vacate his conviction by death, he leaves his heirs and assigns able to profit from any memoirs, books, articles, movies, etc. that may be made of his life and fall into disgrace. Had he served his life term and exhausted his appeals he may well have been barred from profiting from his circumstances. I also agree that the threat of civil suits would be blunted, if not entirely eliminated, by his death. It is just possible that he decided to make the best of very bad circumstances by sacrificing his life for the benefit of his baby daughter and family.

As to NFL or Patriot obligations, IIRC those were litigated earlier on.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:50 AM

On the other hand there is the possibility of a brain injury (CTE...). Apparently his brain is being sent to one of those centers who study it.