Old 12-28-2010, 11:04 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphica View Post
A made-up word he used in a recent bomb, Lisey's Story. It's nearly unreadable.
Hmmm. Well, what does it mean in context, then?
Old 12-29-2010, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

A dumb substitute for "fucking".
Old 12-29-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
In the sense of "that guy is a smucking idiot!" not "So the other day, I was smucking this dude ... "

It was dumb after one page ... and it's a long book.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKellyMap View Post
To the Doper just plunging into GŲdel, Escher, Bach: Have fun! It's amazing how much of the material is fresh today, despite evolving computer technology. Don't get too hung up on the tougher theoretical mathematics -- I'm terrible at that stuff, but I still enjoyed every chapter, and digested what I could.
I'm liking it so far. I'm only on page 60 or thereabouts. I'm away from home and decided not to bring it on the trip and I regret that a little.

My boyfriend got me all of the MM Kaye mysteries for Christmas, so they will probably take precedence over everything else for a while.

Also just finished book 1 of the Tawny Man trilogy by Robin Hobb. Love her.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:05 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Ooookay. Yet another reason not to read that book. Thanks.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Finished "The Plague of Doves". Now reading Bryson's "Notes From a Small Island".
Finished the Bryson book. Now reading a trash novel called "Brimstone". Not bad so far, but it was tough getting started, and some of the writing is a bit juvenile.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:08 AM
SDSAB

Just read JFK Day by Day by Terry Golway and Les Krantz, a well-illustrated chronological history of the Kennedy Administration. A bit superficial, a few minor factual errors, but pretty interesting overall.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
My current book is Running the Books : the adventures of an accidental prison librarian by Avi Steinberg. Seems a fine book, but at my current reading rate of approximately ten minutes a week, I may never finish. Itís already overdue and the rest of the TBR pile will be soon. I hate it when this happens.
I had to ditch this, as I am drowning in overdue books. So Iím plunging into Monsters of Men by Patrick Ness, the juiciest thing in my TBR pile.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

My very first Kindle purchase: What Is the What: The Autobiography of Valentino Achak Deng by Dave Eggers. It is the very touching, funny, horrific story of one of the Lost Boys of the Sudan.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:48 AM

My first Kindle purchase is Cutting for Stone, by Abraham Verghese. I'm almost finished with it. My favorite Kindle feature so far is the ability to bookmark passages and make notes. You can publish those quoted passages to Twitter or Facebook, which I don't want to do, but I would like to figure out how to post them to Goodreads.

Passages like: "I am convinced that one can buy in Harrods of London a kit that allows an enterprising Englishman to create a British school anywhere in the third world. It comes with black robes, preprinted report cards for Michaelmas, Lent, and Easter terms, as well as hymnals, Prefect Badges, and a syllabus. Assembly required."

It's a really fascinating book about a half Indian, half British boy who is born under dramatic circumstances in Ethiopia and is raised by a couple of doctors at a missionary hospital. He grows up in Ethiopia and becomes a surgeon himself, and eventually ends up practicing at a hospital in a poor neighborhood in New York. There's a lot of melodrama, but the writing is excellent and the medical stuff is very interesting.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:59 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Thoughts on Kindles: I'm on a train in central Vietnam this past April. Young British couple across the aisle to my right. I'm reading a standard book. They're each reading their own Kindle. We pass through tunnels at intervals. I have to stop reaing because it's friggin' dark. They keep reading. Hmmm.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:03 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
Thoughts on Kindles: I'm on a train in central Vietnam this past April. Young British couple across the aisle to my right. I'm reading a standard book. They're each reading their own Kindle. We pass through tunnels at intervals. I have to stop reaing because it's friggin' dark. They keep reading. Hmmm.
Do Kindles automatically get brighter or darker depending on ambient light?
Old 12-30-2010, 12:08 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Their's did.

I think it's probably a standard backlight that's not noticeable in regular light.

Last edited by Siam Sam; 12-30-2010 at 12:09 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:17 PM

Kindles aren't backlit, but you can buy covers with lights in them.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:20 PM

Charlie Chan: The Untold Story of the Honorable Detective and His Rendezvous with American History by Yunte Huang, a Chinese-born American scholar who attended graduate school in Alabama and earned his Ph.D. at SUNY-Buffalo, taught American literature at Harvard and now is a professor of English at UC-Santa Barbara. It's a fascinating perspective and very well written. I really like this guy.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigmagirl View Post
Charlie Chan: The Untold Story of the Honorable Detective and His Rendezvous with American History by Yunte Huang, a Chinese-born American scholar who attended graduate school in Alabama and earned his Ph.D. at SUNY-Buffalo, taught American literature at Harvard and now is a professor of English at UC-Santa Barbara. It's a fascinating perspective and very well written. I really like this guy.
I heard his interview on NPR - it was very interesting.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:00 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgoddess View Post
Kindles aren't backlit, but you can buy covers with lights in them.
That must be what they had. Because there were only their two rectangles of light until we emerged from the tunnels.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanor of Aquitaine View Post
It's a really fascinating book about a half Indian, half British boy who is born under dramatic circumstances in Ethiopia and is raised by a couple of doctors at a missionary hospital. He grows up in Ethiopia and becomes a surgeon himself, and eventually ends up practicing at a hospital in a poor neighborhood in New York. There's a lot of melodrama, but the writing is excellent and the medical stuff is very interesting.
This was a favorite of mine this year too. It would have made the top ten, but Sister Mary Joseph Praise left too soon -- I wanted more about her. The characters were all so richly detailed -- I didn't want to leave any of their stories.

I'm re-reading The Deptford Trilogy by Robertson Davies. It's been so long, I've forgotten everything. One of the benefits of a poor memory, I guess.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khadaji View Post
I heard his interview on NPR - it was very interesting.
I'd love to hear it. Maybe I can find it on NPR.org.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:48 AM

A link to Jan's thread.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:06 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntiePam View Post

I'm re-reading The Deptford Trilogy by Robertson Davies. It's been so long, I've forgotten everything. One of the benefits of a poor memory, I guess.
My favorite of his trilogies -- I'm looking forward to rereading it myself in a couple of years, since I've also got that bad memory.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
That one's definitely going on The List.

As for me, I'm close to finishing The Gates by John Connolly. It's a dryly humorous story about a young boy named Samuel Johnson and his dog Boswell who stumble across a demon's plan to open the gates of Hell and allow Satan to walk the earth. Very much in the style and tone of Good Omens, so fans of that book - of which there are many here - should love it.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Finished the Bryson book. Now reading a trash novel called "Brimstone". Not bad so far, but it was tough getting started, and some of the writing is a bit juvenile.
Jebus, what a pile of dreck that turned out to be. Over 700 pages of ridiculous plot, bad science, and unlikeable protagonists. Onward to another Bryson book!
Old 12-31-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twickster View Post
My favorite of his trilogies -- I'm looking forward to rereading it myself in a couple of years, since I've also got that bad memory.
I chiefly remember that trilogy for an epiphany I had in high school - it was when reading that, for school, that I first realized that "crap I was forced to read for school" could actually be really good.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:27 PM

It's been a while since I've been stupid-busy but I thought I'd dump the rest of my reads for 2010:

Completed:

The Colour by Rose Tremain
Spirit Gate (Crossroads, Book 1) by Kate Elliot
The Prodigal Mage (Fisherman's Children) by Karen Miller
Son of a Witch by Gregory Maguire
Shadow Gate (Crossroads, Book 2) by Kate Elliot
When Life Nearly Died: The Greatest Mass Extinction of All Time by Michael Benton
Kushiel's Dart by Jacqueline Carey
The Awakening by Kate Chopin
The Eye of the World (The Wheel of Time, Book 1) by Robert Jordan ~ I picked up the first book by Brandon Sanderson & wanted to refresh the series in my mind again so I'll burn through the older books before reading it. Hopefully it will all still be in my head when the latest comes out on paperback as well.
The Great Hunt (The Wheel of Time, Book 2) by Robert Jordan
The Quest for the Shaman: Shape-Shifters, Sorcerers and Spirit Healers in Ancient Europe by Miranda & Stephen Aldhouse-Green
The Dragon Reborn (The Wheel of Time, Book 3) by Robert Jordan

Reading:

Started Cloudsplitter by Russell Banks but it's been put aside for a bit while I'm doing by Robert Jordan reread.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Sorry for the bump -- this was just nominated for an Edgar Award by the Mystery Writers of America, in the category of Critical/Biographical. Most deserving!