Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-21-2019, 11:49 AM
Quartz's Avatar
Quartz is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Where haggis roam free
Posts: 31,112

The 2020 Presidential election betting thread.


Might as well start it now.

I've just placed £10 on Pete Buttigieg at 10/1.
  #2  
Old 04-21-2019, 11:55 AM
septimus's Avatar
septimus is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Land of Smiles
Posts: 20,167
I'll repeat my offer to moderate a Karachi Auction in Thread Games. Let SDMB players set the book on 2020 outcomes (using pretend money).
  #3  
Old 04-21-2019, 12:08 PM
Quartz's Avatar
Quartz is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Where haggis roam free
Posts: 31,112
I'll have to look that up, but it sounds fun. Let's keep this thread for real bets by people prepared to put their money where their mouths are.
  #4  
Old 04-21-2019, 12:43 PM
Velocity is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 15,784
I think betting on US elections is illegal for American Dopers (assuming you mean real money on real websites/casinos.) Can we participate with some fake currency?
  #5  
Old 04-21-2019, 12:50 PM
Quartz's Avatar
Quartz is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Where haggis roam free
Posts: 31,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
I think betting on US elections is illegal for American Dopers (assuming you mean real money on real websites/casinos.) Can we participate with some fake currency?
This site says that it used to be mostly illegal but now is up to individual states.

Quote:
However, in May of 2018, the U.S. Supreme Court shut down PASPA, ruling the federal restriction of legalized sports betting unconstitutional. Legalization and legislation is now determined at a state level, meaning it will be up to each individual state to decide whether or not to allow its residents to engage in sports betting, including political events.
  #6  
Old 04-21-2019, 02:10 PM
KarlGauss's Avatar
KarlGauss is offline
Entangled
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Between pole and tropic
Posts: 8,564
Quote:
However, in May of 2018, the U.S. Supreme Court shut down PASPA, ruling the federal restriction of legalized sports betting unconstitutional. Legalization and legislation is now determined at a state level, meaning it will be up to each individual state to decide whether or not to allow its residents to engage in sports betting, including political events.
Are federal elections really considered a sport?

Last edited by KarlGauss; 04-21-2019 at 02:10 PM.
  #7  
Old 04-21-2019, 09:30 PM
Jonathan Chance is offline
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: On the run with Kilroy
Posts: 23,070
More importantly, such continues to be illegal in the state of Illinois where the Straight Dope is based.

Bet quatloos. Bet for honor. I think we'd appreciate no cash wagers here on the Straight Dope Message Board concerning sports or the upcoming presidential election.

Last edited by Jonathan Chance; 04-21-2019 at 09:30 PM.
  #8  
Old 04-21-2019, 10:03 PM
snoe is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,375
Curious: are prediction markets like PredictIt legal in Illinois? Having trouble finding a straight answer online.
  #9  
Old 04-21-2019, 10:27 PM
Jonathan Chance is offline
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: On the run with Kilroy
Posts: 23,070

The Moderator Speaks


That is...an open question.

But it's long been policy here that things that are illegal in the USA and the state of Illinois make ownership nervous. Hence discussions of election outcomes via Predictit are fine. Actual betting here would not be.

Nonetheless, I've shared it on the mod loop. If there are any developments I'll share it here. Until that time, keep the cash out of it.
  #10  
Old 04-22-2019, 05:18 AM
Quartz's Avatar
Quartz is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Where haggis roam free
Posts: 31,112
Just a quick check: you're happy with we non-Merkins discussing placed bets, right?
  #11  
Old 04-22-2019, 05:27 AM
Mr Shine is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 2,051
I've bet £500 on "Anybody except Trump" to win £379
  #12  
Old 04-22-2019, 06:35 AM
Jonathan Chance is offline
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: On the run with Kilroy
Posts: 23,070

The Moderator Speaks


Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
Just a quick check: you're happy with we non-Merkins discussing placed bets, right?
Sort of. Ruling come through overnight. No cash wagers on the Straight Dope.

I'm going to interpret that as meaning you can discuss your own wagers outside the dope but you cannot bet cash with other Dopers regardless of the two party's location.

I'm going to leave this thread open given the above ruling. But let's try to keep within the guidelines, please.

Last edited by Jonathan Chance; 04-22-2019 at 06:37 AM.
  #13  
Old 04-22-2019, 07:15 AM
Bullitt's Avatar
Bullitt is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SF Giants Nation
Posts: 26,134
I’ll take Trump and I’ll bet 500 quatloos.

Too bad we can’t bet real cash money.
  #14  
Old 04-22-2019, 07:44 AM
Mr Shine is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
Iíll take Trump and Iíll bet 500 quatloos.

Too bad we canít bet real cash money.
Quatloos don't exist and you didn't bet any. If it's illegal for you to gamble and/or you don't have the inclination to do so then too bad for you but leave this thread for people who put real bets down with real money.
  #15  
Old 04-22-2019, 05:59 PM
snoe is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
I'm going to interpret that as meaning you can discuss your own wagers outside the dope but you cannot bet cash with other Dopers regardless of the two party's location.
Okay, hereís my opposite of a humblebrag: I bought Buttegieg shares on Predictit at 5 cents when I first heard him give an interview, then sold them at 10-12 cents. Heís at 19 cents now. Shoulda hung on to them a bit longer. (I donít think heíll get the nom, but I correctly predicted heíd get a bunch of attention.)
  #16  
Old 04-23-2019, 12:36 AM
Bullitt's Avatar
Bullitt is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SF Giants Nation
Posts: 26,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Shine View Post
Quatloos don't exist and you didn't bet any. If it's illegal for you to gamble and/or you don't have the inclination to do so then too bad for you but leave this thread for people who put real bets down with real money.
Quatloos exist for us Trekkies. Okay then, 750 quatloos on Trump. I’ll be back when he wins.
  #17  
Old 04-23-2019, 03:37 AM
Thing Fish is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Chicago (NL)
Posts: 3,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
I'll repeat my offer to moderate a Karachi Auction in Thread Games. Let SDMB players set the book on 2020 outcomes (using pretend money).
The Karachi Auction thing made my head spin. Maybe we could do a game where everyone starts with like 1000 quatloos and can bet them on the Predictit line at any given time. So you could spread your bets around on longshots early in the process, or hold off betting until the outcomes are more predictable (but the payoffs accordingly lower).
  #18  
Old 04-23-2019, 03:38 AM
Thing Fish is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Chicago (NL)
Posts: 3,538
Anyway, someone said in another thread that Predictit has close to 50-50 odds on Trump being re-elected. Given the chance, I would consider betting serious money on No.
  #19  
Old 04-23-2019, 06:02 AM
Mr Shine is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
Quatloos exist for us Trekkies. Okay then, 750 quatloos on Trump. Iíll be back when he wins.
  #20  
Old 04-23-2019, 06:19 AM
Bullitt's Avatar
Bullitt is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SF Giants Nation
Posts: 26,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Shine View Post
Yeah yeah I know he is highly unpopular here.

Last edited by Bullitt; 04-23-2019 at 06:20 AM.
  #21  
Old 04-23-2019, 06:25 AM
Mr Shine is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 2,051
You miss the point: the was for you. Trying to claim you're betting "qatloos" for the second time in a thread that was already clearly stated to be talking about real bets you actually placed with real money. I'm not sure why the concept is so hard for you.
  #22  
Old 04-23-2019, 06:29 AM
Bullitt's Avatar
Bullitt is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SF Giants Nation
Posts: 26,134
Yes I know and I’m ignoring that. It’s not hard at all because this is not a thread about real bets, per the mods. I don’t know why that concept is so hard for you.

Anyway I wish I could bet real money on this here.
  #23  
Old 04-23-2019, 06:33 AM
Mr Shine is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
Let's keep this thread for real bets by people prepared to put their money where their mouths are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
I'm going to interpret that as meaning you can discuss your own wagers outside the dope

This thread is for people who actually placed bets, not those waffling on about quatloos.
  #24  
Old 04-23-2019, 07:16 AM
Bullitt's Avatar
Bullitt is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SF Giants Nation
Posts: 26,134
You conveniently missed a few quotes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
No cash wagers on the Straight Dope.
Quote:
you cannot bet cash with other Dopers regardless of the two party's location.
Quote:
I'm going to leave this thread open given the above ruling. But let's try to keep within the guidelines, please.
Itís not that difficult to understand. Really.
  #25  
Old 04-23-2019, 07:32 AM
Mr Shine is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post


Itís not that difficult to understand. Really.
No, it really isn't.
  #26  
Old 04-23-2019, 07:36 AM
Mr Shine is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 2,051
But to make it clear

No cash wagers on the Straight Dope.

you cannot bet cash with other Dopers regardless of the two party's location.

Nothing about not talking about betting cash, which is the point of this thread.
  #27  
Old 04-23-2019, 01:49 PM
dalej42 is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 14,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
Might as well start it now.



I've just placed £10 on Pete Buttigieg at 10/1.


I’m going to be in the UK next week. Where can I place a similar bet? Is it online only or can I walk into a Ladbrokes or similar betting shop?
__________________
Twitter:@Stardales IG:@Dalej42
  #28  
Old 04-23-2019, 02:06 PM
Mr Shine is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
Iím going to be in the UK next week. Where can I place a similar bet? Is it online only or can I walk into a Ladbrokes or similar betting shop?
You can certainly place politics bets in the physical bookies, and link it to your account if you have one. I'm not sure how you would conveniently get your money though if you don't have an account, unless you were going back to UK in Nov 2020
  #29  
Old 04-24-2019, 02:45 PM
That Don Guy's Avatar
That Don Guy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlGauss View Post
Are federal elections really considered a sport?
It was up to interpretation as to whether or not the law applied just to sports.

Note that Nevada still specifically outlaws its casinos/sports books from taking bets on elections.
  #30  
Old 04-24-2019, 08:56 PM
Jonathan Chance is offline
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: On the run with Kilroy
Posts: 23,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Shine View Post
But to make it clear

No cash wagers on the Straight Dope.

you cannot bet cash with other Dopers regardless of the two party's location.

Nothing about not talking about betting cash, which is the point of this thread.
The point of the thread is election betting. Nothing says cash in the OP. The only restriction placed upon posters is to not bet cash with each other. We're not in the position of being a clearinghouse for election wagering nor do we want to be.

But if someone wants to bet quatloos, points toward heaven or whatever that's as valid as anything else.
  #31  
Old 04-25-2019, 01:48 AM
Thing Fish is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Chicago (NL)
Posts: 3,538
I’d guesstimate current odds as like

Trump 2-1
Biden, Harris 6-1
Bernie 8-1
Beto, Warren, Mayor Pete 10-1
Everyone else at least 20-1

So is there anywhere I can get significantly better odds than those on any of the candidates?

Last edited by Thing Fish; 04-25-2019 at 01:49 AM.
  #32  
Old 04-25-2019, 02:16 AM
octopus's Avatar
octopus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 9,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
The point of the thread is election betting. Nothing says cash in the OP. The only restriction placed upon posters is to not bet cash with each other. We're not in the position of being a clearinghouse for election wagering nor do we want to be.

But if someone wants to bet quatloos, points toward heaven or whatever that's as valid as anything else.
Avatar bets is where itís at.
  #33  
Old 04-25-2019, 04:47 AM
Quartz's Avatar
Quartz is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Where haggis roam free
Posts: 31,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thing Fish View Post
Iíd guesstimate current odds as like

Trump 2-1
Ladbrokes have Trump at 5/4, Sanders at 6/1, Biden at 8/1, Harris and Buttigieg at 10/1, Beto at 20/1, and Warren at 33/1.
  #34  
Old 04-25-2019, 10:01 AM
penultima thule is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 3,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thing Fish View Post
Iíd guesstimate current odds as like

Trump 2-1
Biden, Harris 6-1
Bernie 8-1
Beto, Warren, Mayor Pete 10-1
Everyone else at least 20-1

So is there anywhere I can get significantly better odds than those on any of the candidates?
Current odds being offered by William Hill:

Trump. 5/4
Sanders 6/1
Biden. 8/1
Harris. 8/1
Buttigieg 8/1
OíRourke 10/1

Plenty of arbitrage options there
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017