The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > The Game Room

Old 06-02-2013, 05:11 AM

Groupees Be Mine 8: http://groupees.com/bm8

$1 for a bunch of games, plus a couple albums. $5 gets all the dollar games and music, plus another six games.

Yet another charity bundle. I liked Patrician III enough to play it a while. This bundle includes Patrician IV and a DLC, but I don't have time for another game right now that's not already on my buy list.

The 5 dollar option includes Bloodbowl, which I've seen mentioned here, Constant C, an indy puzzle game released in April, and Drakensang, a German tactical RPG with a 75 on Metacritic.

You know, the problem with looking for bargains is that you keep running across bargains you don't really want.
Advertisements  
Old 06-02-2013, 05:15 AM

Oh, and Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition is 50% off at Gamer's Gate, which is as low as it's ever been according to steamgamesales. I suspect anybody who wanted it here would've bought it by now, though.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:52 AM

The Arkham games are on special for 75% off on Steam. There's still another 11 hours to go on the sale if anyone's interested.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

The ubisoft store has a bunch of stuff on sale, including oddly some EA games.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:15 PM
Charter Member

Lego Lord of the Rings is only $7.50 until Thursday! On Steam.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:43 PM

Waiting impatiently for the Steam summer sale.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
Waiting impatiently for the Steam summer sale.
Do we have dates for this? Even rumored ones yet?
Old 06-12-2013, 07:06 PM
Charter Member

Ubisoft store is having a sale until the 16th.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:59 PM

Of course I just bought it last week, but Kerbal Space Program is on sale for 15 bucks on Steam.

It's still in beta but it's fully playable in sandbox mode. It's a lot of fun, but a lot of failure. Somehow the failure is a lot of fun. It is, after all, rocket science. I stumbled upon this review last week and it convinced me to drop the 22 bucks on it. Considering all the other games I've bought that have sucked or I haven't gotten around to playing yet, it's already been a good buy for just the few hours I've goofed around with it.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:56 PM

Free Torchlight
Old 06-19-2013, 02:43 PM

GOG's Summer Sale looks pretty tempting, including Planescape for $5, the first 6 Might and Magic for $5 total, and Masters of Orion 1 and 2 for $3 total. I think I'll be ordering some.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:24 PM

I went in for the entire dungeon's and dragons pack for 21 bucks even though i already own several of them.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:02 PM

Steam is running a "Paradox Interactive weekend" sale, with 50% off most of their catalog. They're also promising new sales each day, so it might be a good idea to keep an eye on it for some bundles if you've been interested in picking up CK2 and getting in on the succession games we've been playing.

Hopefully this is a leadup to the full-on Summer Sale.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
Ubisoft store is having a sale until the 16th.
Ugh. I don't get why sites leave up sales pages past their expiration date. Got my hopes up that I could still get Arkham Assylum for $5, even though it's four days late. (It worked for Popcap.)

Last edited by BigT; 06-20-2013 at 06:28 PM..
Old 06-21-2013, 01:21 PM

FTL is available direct from their website for $2.49. GOG has the same price but buying it from the developer means you get a Steam key as well.

Fun, addictive game for the price.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:21 PM

GOG has a megasale on.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:08 PM
Charter Member

Steam weekend sale has Chivalry and Natural Selection 2 for $8.50 each. Both are excellent games, both played sometimes by the SDMB group.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:00 PM

Was there some website someone mentioned awhile ago that gathers information on different sales and gives you the best price from everywhere, or something like that?
Old 06-30-2013, 07:41 PM

steamgamesales.com
Old 06-30-2013, 08:30 PM

Awesome, thanks!
Old 07-02-2013, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

This is quite odd. No steam sale today, which I thought was the latest they'd start it. I doubt they just up and cancelled it this year, plus valve was patching their games to have some sort of ARG like they often do. Some indie devs moved their release date back until July 11th, which suggests the Steam sale was going to run through the tenth. But now we've got a regular midweek madness sale, which I don't think they'd do if they were planning on jumping into it tomorrow. Very odd.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:43 PM

The amazon summer sale is going on, maybe they didn't want to do it at the same time.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:38 PM
Charter Member

Maybe, but I doubt it. Steam is the big player on the block, people set their schedules around them. Besides, you wouldn't want people to spend all their money on the amazon sale before yours comes up.

Incidentally, it always amazes me how amazon is one of the biggest retailers in the world, and fuck if you can ever find what you're looking for on their site. Whether trying to find their digital games sale or just find some random widget I need, it's gotta be harder than any other similar site.

Here's the page. I had to find a link on another site. But even that's pretty awful. Is there a way to sort by category or price or discount, or do you just page through 1000 games?

Last edited by SenorBeef; 07-02-2013 at 06:40 PM..
Old 07-02-2013, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

Usually during the big sales events I create a separate thread since they usually generate enough traffic to be worth it. We haven't hit the steam sale yet, but other sales are going on, so I created a summer sale thread.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:47 PM

Last year the Steam Summer Sale started hella late. Like mid-July. It was late enough that other retailers were poking fun and tagging their sales with things like "Tired of waiting for great deals? Wait no longer!"

I know by the time it rolled around, I had already sated most of my appetite at Amazon, GMG and GamersGate. I'm surprised they're "late" this year as well, all things considered.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:33 PM

The Steam Summer Sale is up!

Add games you want to your wishlist, and you'll be notified when they go on sale.

Remember, don't buy a game unless it's a daily deal or a flash sale. Many games are on sale, and will remain on sale for the length of the event. Wait it out, wait to see if they go on Daily Deal or a Flash Sale. If they don't go on deeper discount, you can always buy them the last day of the sale.

The last day of the sale is traditionally an encore sale, where they bring back the most popular of the flash sales and daily deal games.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:53 PM

Normally I wouldn't post about a Humble Bundle, but I decided to post about this one for two reasons:

1. It's the weekly sale, which most people don't get alerts for.
2. The type of game is one I think most Dopers would appreciate.

What type is that? Old school PC RPG. The kind in an isometric perspective. It just seems like those would go well here.

So check it out within the next 5 and a half days. Or if you see this late, PM me. I'll buy four extra copies to give away. (It will allow you to up the payment after you get it.)
Old 10-29-2013, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

Steam Halloween sale has started. Doesn't seem to have a daily deal mechanic, just discounts on (sometimes vaguely) Halloween/spooky related games.

This thread has really died down since I stopped posting to it regularly. Sorry. I've just been not terribly into gaming recently and I haven't been buying much. If other people want to contribute to this thread, by all means.

Last edited by SenorBeef; 10-29-2013 at 01:14 PM..
Old 10-29-2013, 07:19 PM

I've noticed that really great deals are fewer and farther in between these days. Last year was really the golden year for PC game discounts in my opinion. I suspect that publishers saw that everyone's opinion was becoming "Eh, I'll buy it for 75% off in two months" and pulled back hard on the discounting.

I assume that the big sale seasons will still be "big sale seasons" but the constant flow of deep discounting from Amazon, GMG, etc has tapered off for good.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:23 AM

Man, I finally have something to contribute, and I have to go to the second page to find this thread.

Steam has various Worms games for 50-75% off, for their "18th birthday" sale.

http://store.steampowered.com/sale/wormsanniversarysale
Old 11-21-2013, 10:57 PM

Green Man Gaming has an XCOM bundle on sale. Includes the original game, Enemy Unknown, some DLC, and several others in the series, such as terror from the deep. $16.19 Australian.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

I'm surprised that Steam's sale hasn't started yet. With Thanksgiving a week later this year, I was expecting them to come out strong. Maybe the well of deep discounts is drying up...
Old 11-27-2013, 08:35 AM

Steam sale is supposed to start tomorrow.

According to a leaked document, the discounts for the "Fall sale" will be the same in the winter sale so if you see a price you like this weekend, go ahead and buy it. It won't be cheaper in a month (unless it's cheaper on some other vendor). There'll be more sales for Christmas but 66% off Super Laser Man now will be 66% off Super Laser Man on Dec 26th.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
According to a leaked document, the discounts for the "Fall sale" will be the same in the winter sale so if you see a price you like this weekend, go ahead and buy it. It won't be cheaper in a month (unless it's cheaper on some other vendor). There'll be more sales for Christmas but 66% off Super Laser Man now will be 66% off Super Laser Man on Dec 26th.
They'll still have two different discount levels, the base level and the flash/daily sale level.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:34 AM

True. I meant "The daily deal price for X now will be the daily deal price for X then"

I guess if a game you want this week never becomes a daily, you might as well wait for the Christmas sale.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:06 PM

Steam fall sale is go!

There's a bunch of stuff on sale that's not a daily. You can look at this site which has them all listed in order of discount.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:25 PM

Woot! Steam sales get me so excited, even when I have most everything I want, and more games than I can play. It's the best way for me to indulge the kid in me.

Skyrim's been deeply discounted for the first time this sale (66%/75% depending). I think it's time to pick that up.

Sleeping Dogs is really cheap now, too. IMO it's definitely worth it especially at that price. Really good martial arts animation in a GTA style game. Make sure you get the Zodiac Tournament (even if you're skipping the DLC's otherwise) - trust me, it's why you like martial arts in the first place.

Does anybody know why the bottom part of the store page is upside down? If you enter a search term in the upside down search box, it comes back all upside down. Freaky.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

Guess I forgot to post it here. Usually the big sales generate enough discussion that I create spinoff threads just to cover them. I did that in this thread.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:33 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member

Silent Storm Gold Edition is $2.50 on Steam. Check it out if you think squad level, turn-based, tactical, alternate history WW II combat sounds fun.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:59 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member

Steam is having a Ubisoft Weekend. Selected Ubisoft games are up to 75% off and include Daily Deals, today's deal is the Might & Magic franchise.
Old Yesterday, 02:55 AM
Charter Member

I've stopped updating this thread mostly because there are so many games on sale at all times now that it's tricky to keep up. If anyone wants to keep updating it, or create quarterly threads or something, that'd be fine.

But I wanted to mention that sometime today apparently Red Orchestra 2 will be free for 24 hours. At some point you'll be able to go to the store page and "buy" it for free and it'll stay on your account. Not sure exactly when.
Old Yesterday, 08:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
But I wanted to mention that sometime today apparently Red Orchestra 2 will be free for 24 hours. At some point you'll be able to go to the store page and "buy" it for free and it'll stay on your account. Not sure exactly when.
It's free right now. Instead of "Buy", it had an install button. I pushed it and it got registered to my account. Done deal.