Old 09-02-2017, 09:29 AM

Ooh ooh! Maybe they'll get Steve Corino to replace JBL!
Advertisements  
Old 09-02-2017, 01:48 PM

I'd rather hear his sister on commentary, TBH.
Old 09-02-2017, 04:47 PM

Corino's or JBL's?
Old 09-03-2017, 08:49 PM

My long national nightmare is over! JBL, the thing I say is the worst thing in all of wrestling, is finally off of my television. Thank the sweet Lord Jesus
Old 09-04-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
Corino's or JBL's?
Corino's. I didn't even know that JBL had a sister.
Old 09-04-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reluctant A. View Post
Corino's. I didn't even know that JBL had a sister.
I didn't either.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:04 AM

When Big Show first came to WWE, he threw Steve Austin through a cage wall.

Last night, Braun Stroman threw Big Show through a cage wall, after telling him "Time to put you out to pasture, old man."

Wonder if that was BS's retirement match?
Old 09-05-2017, 08:42 AM

Show's contract ends in February. He's still got 5 months left.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:44 AM

Sexy Star released a statement that is just the worst.

I mean, you can't even PRETEND to be sorry? Aren't you an actress at the end of the day? Freaking act for your job.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
Sexy Star released a statement that is just the worst.

I mean, you can't even PRETEND to be sorry? Aren't you an actress at the end of the day? Freaking act for your job.
And now she's been stripped of the title. About time.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:25 PM
Charter Member

And now Jeff Jarrett is out at GFW. The company put out a statement that he was taking an "indefinite leave of absence" to deal with "personal matters", but the sheets are saying it wasn't his choice and the Owlmen forced him out due to his behavior at Triplemania.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:03 PM

Will be interesting. They're taped though sometime in November (they had to do more than usual since Universal uses their area as storage for Halloween Horror Nights), so I don't think they'll be much immediate impact (heh).

But long-term, while Anthem provided better financial stability than Dixie did, all of the creative seemed to come via Jarrett--D'Amore, Mantell, Cornette, etc, pretty much all there because of Jarrett, will they stick around?

Also, I've seen some reports that Jarrett may still own the GFW name/trademarks. Will be great irony if Anthem, after jerking the Hardy's around with the Broken stuff, turn around and lose the GFW name after all the re-branding.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:07 AM

Jeebus, Impact can't catch a break. Just when it seems like they're crawling out of the cellar, they plunge back down. I guess Jarrett's torrid history with them is not because he got screwed over, but because he's an utter douchebag.

From Wrestling Inc.:

Quote:
Regarding what led to the leave, the feeling is that unhappiness with Jarrett involving his "erratic behavior" was a driving factor in Nordholm's decision. It appears they were not unhappy with the company's creative direction with Jarrett as Chief Creative Officer. The situation had been building for months and the final tipping point was AAA's TripleMania event in Mexico in late August. Jarrett, who recently put on weight, was not in the best of shape for that event and apparently stumbled down the ring steps right before wrestling in a battle royal for just a few minutes. He also took a while getting to the ring. Jarrett represented GFW in the match, along with Moose and Bobby Lashley, and was reportedly heckling fans and throwing tortillas into the crowd, which actually somewhat fit his gimmick in Mexico but still had people talking.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Jeebus, Impact can't catch a break. Just when it seems like they're crawling out of the cellar, they plunge back down. I guess Jarrett's torrid history with them is not because he got screwed over, but because he's an utter douchebag.

From Wrestling Inc.:
Which actually kinda surprises me because I think the storytelling has been much, much improved over the last handful of months.

GFW has the benefit of a way smaller roster, so they don't have as much stupid filler crap than WWE has which I think helps a lot. Maybe now the Hardys can get their gimmick back?
Old 09-07-2017, 11:15 AM

They're going to have Enblow win the CW title because ratings, aren't they?

GFW has been getting better, and I hope they don't implode again.
Old 09-07-2017, 02:58 PM

Probably.

Mouthy guy wins title by cheating. Holds title by cheating. Audience gets angry and keeps wanting to see him get his ass beat. It keeps not happening.

Then it does and the roof gets blown off.

Very old heel formula.

Like I said before, I hope Cedrick Alexander is the one to finally beat him.

"The worst things in the world are justified by belief" - U2, Raised by Wolves
Old 09-08-2017, 08:11 AM

GFW took the "it was all a big misunderstanding" approach to Triplemania last night and didn't mention Sexy Star's name. They didn't have Rosemary on the show either, except as archive footage. That's the problem with being taped. Can't strike when the iron is hot.

I'm wondering if the Jeff Jarrett thing is a work. Seems like they would have taken his segments out if he's truly on "indefinite hiatus," but who can tell any more.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
GFW took the "it was all a big misunderstanding" approach to Triplemania last night and didn't mention Sexy Star's name. They didn't have Rosemary on the show either, except as archive footage. That's the problem with being taped. Can't strike when the iron is hot.

I'm wondering if the Jeff Jarrett thing is a work. Seems like they would have taken his segments out if he's truly on "indefinite hiatus," but who can tell any more.
He's pretty integral to the storyline with Lashley right now, so they can't just ignore him. Not to mention that would take out a pretty big chunk of the show if they did.

It wouldn't really surprise me if it was a work, but it would surprise me less if it wasn't.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:55 AM

Woot! Donovan Dijak is coming to NXT!

He's a better big man than Big Cass and Baron Corbin and can work with guys half his size. He and Lio Rush had some excellent matches in RoH.
Old 09-08-2017, 12:59 PM

I just realized we never heard back from Skara_Brae about her Smackdown trip.

Wonder if they had fun....
Old 09-08-2017, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Er, what? She was in a segment--she came out to rescue Allie from Sienna and Taryn, got double-teamed herself, then Tara came out to seemingly rescue her, then turned on her.

During the segment, JB acted like this was post-Triplemania and she had already healed.
Old 09-09-2017, 06:45 PM

Oh, that. Never mind.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:49 PM

Any hot takes on the Mae Young Classic now that it's over?

Something like it wasn't nearly as good as it should have been? That the champion was called from the beginning because she was one of the only ones actually signed to WWE? Or that the challenger was included because of who she's friends with and can't actually "wrestle" cuz she only does MMA-style moves? Or that the announcing was the worst in WWE history? Or that they won't do this next year because there isn't enough women's talent out there because this was their best shot and it STILL sucked?

Anything like that out there?
Old 09-13-2017, 12:53 PM

What a treat it was to see my favorite wrestler back on Smackdown and getting the shit kicked out of him by KO. Of all their stupid story lines of late at least this one was enjoyable to watch.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Any hot takes on the Mae Young Classic now that it's over?

Something like it wasn't nearly as good as it should have been? That the champion was called from the beginning because she was one of the only ones actually signed to WWE? Or that the challenger was included because of who she's friends with and can't actually "wrestle" cuz she only does MMA-style moves? Or that the announcing was the worst in WWE history? Or that they won't do this next year because there isn't enough women's talent out there because this was their best shot and it STILL sucked?

Anything like that out there?
The CW and UK tournaments were better, but overall, the MY classic wasn't bad. The first round had a few stinkers, but the second round was light years better. The WWE-MMA crossover was emphasized too much and made the tournament look secondary. Lita was best when she was an active wrestler, but on commentary she's dull as dishwater. I do like how the entrants were allowed to fly their freak flags and be in a category all their own, and weren't set up as bimbos. MYC may have had its faults, but at least it had none of the Total Divas silliness.

The danger I see is that if they continue to add more wrestling shows, it'll lead to overexposure and burnout, and this would be the first to go.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:25 PM

The CWC and the UK tournaments were probably objectively better, but the MYC was my favorite, by a lot. It would have been even better if there hadn't been so many green girls in the first round; there was way more talent in Shimmer, WSU, Shine, PWWA, Stardom, etc., that they could have brought in. Hell, Nicole Matthews was brought in as a potential injury replacement, and was photographed backstage during the tapings; she's better than at least half the girls they had working the first round.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:23 AM

Who caught your eye and wish WWE would sign? I know half are already signed like Toni Storm, Saine, Evers, Blanchard etc, but who should be added? I have 2:

Jazzy Gabert
Piper Nevin

Both of these ladies are highly talented and Jazzy has a HELL of a look and could easily be a kickass monster heel.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:29 AM

Agree with Gabert and Nevin. Add Candice Larae bc she's the female Johnny Gargano. :-)

Miya Yim (formerly Jade of TNA) would also be good. I like her style.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Agree with Gabert and Nevin. Add Candice Larae bc she's the female Johnny Gargano. :-)

Miya Yim (formerly Jade of TNA) would also be good. I like her style.
I thought Mrs. Garbanzo was already signed, so I didn't include her. But yeah, world's cutest tag team 2.0 should happen.
Old 09-16-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Who caught your eye and wish WWE would sign? I know half are already signed like Toni Storm, Saine, Evers, Blanchard etc, but who should be added? I have 2:

Jazzy Gabert
Piper Nevin

Both of these ladies are highly talented and Jazzy has a HELL of a look and could easily be a kickass monster heel.
Well, I had a personal sea change during the height of the SuperCena era, where I started liking women's wrestling (indy women's wrestling, specifically) more than men's wrestling, so there's a bunch of women who were in the MYC that I'd like to see signed. But, in particular, Jazzy, Piper, Mercedes and Santana. I'd also be kind of interested in seeing a full-time comeback for Serena Deeb: I feel like I didn't see enough of her in the MYC to get a sense of whether she moves much differently in the ring now. I will say that that spear doesn't look like it hits quite the same way it used to.
Old 09-17-2017, 06:05 PM

According to JR's Twitter, Bobby The Brain Heenan died today. I have very little experience with him personally, but based on what I've heard I recognize his influence. Based on pictures I've seen, he looked really bad in recent years. Did he have cancer or something?

If you need someone to blame for his death, you can all blame Ms. Cups. She said earlier today "We haven't had a wrestling death in a while!"
Old 09-17-2017, 06:15 PM

wow I just teared up when I read that ........https://www.pwinsider.com/article/11...-away.html?p=1

Last edited by nightshadea; 09-17-2017 at 06:18 PM.
Old 09-17-2017, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

Now, no one can stop Hulk Hogan. Bobby "The Brain" Heenan, IMNSHO, was at his best as an announcer, but was also one of the best managers (something sadly lacking in today's wrestling). The bells will toll Monday night. I hope they have some of his best clips, not just him playing the buffoon. His wit was quick and sharp during an age where everything was less scripted.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:22 PM

Quote:
According to JR's Twitter, Bobby The Brain Heenan died today. I have very little experience with him personally, but based on what I've heard I recognize his influence. Based on pictures I've seen, he looked really bad in recent years. Did he have cancer or something?

If you need someone to blame for his death, you can all blame Ms. Cups. She said earlier today "We haven't had a wrestling death in a while!"
BAD MS. CUPS! /makes sign of the cross

He had cancer of the jaw and had to essentially learn how to talk again after his radiation treatments.

I read his first book. He had to drop out of school in 8th grade to support his family after his father ran out on them. He definitely developed street smarts. Heenan worked so well on commentary with Gorilla Monsoon bc Monsoon understood how to be the straight man, unlike Tony Schiavone.

Heenan had some hilarious stories about Andre the Giant, who he managed when Andre turned heel. He said before his WM 3 match with Hogan, both wrestlers were brought out on elevator platforms, like what's used by telephone line repairmen. Andre told Heenan he was going to tip Hogan's platform over. Heenan asked him, "With him in it?" Andre said "Yeah."

Heenan told McMahon about this over their feed, and said McMahon said not to let him do it. Heenan replied "How the fuck am I supposed to stop him?" Fortunately, Andre decided there were too many people in the way. Andre was grumpy because there weren't enough villagers to eat that day.

RIP Brain. You were the best thing about 80's WWF.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:33 PM

Damn. Much love and respect for Bobby Heenan. Sorry to hear he's left us.

Old 09-17-2017, 11:20 PM

R.I.P. Bobby "The Brain".

After watching wrestling regularly for a number of months thanks to this thread, I accidentally missed taping my hometown "Raw" and "Smackdown" episodes before SummerSlam and now have no idea what's been going on. Need to read this thread to catch up.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:19 AM
Charter Member

RIP the Weasel.

My favorite Brain moment was from an episode of WCW Monday Nitro. He was on commentary with Schiavone and Larry Zybysko when the nWo took over the booth to cut a promo. Eric Bischoff arranged the three commentators' hands like the "three monkeys". After they left, Tony and Larry took their hands off their ears and mouths and got back to work, but Bobby just sat there covering his eyes like he was too afraid to peek and see if they were gone.

He was the greatest heel manager of all time and a lot of the people cutting heel promos these days could learn from him, and he will be missed.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:03 AM

"The two things that scare me most about wrestling fans is that they're allowed to vote and allowed to reproduce."

I mostly lurk on this thread because I don't actively watch wrestling any more but I have to say RIP to the greatest heel manager and announcer to ever grace pre wrestling. the Brain was always quick witted, had a great rapport with Monsoon, Ross, and just about anyone else not named Shiavone. He was great as a heel's mouthpiece, could take bumps and was one of those guys that you looked forward to seeing him get his comeuppance. I always wished that McMahon would have been more accommodating to his scheduling and traveling wants back in the 90s.

Enjoy some of his best quotes:
https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Bobby_Heenan

Last edited by Intergalactic Gladiator; 09-18-2017 at 09:04 AM.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:58 AM

There was another time when Heenan made fat jokes about the Bossman's mom during commentary. He'd say to Gorilla "Hey, did you know Bossman's mom is so fat, she wears two watches, one for each time zone?" Gorilla would reply "Will you stop!" Finally, it got to the point where Bossman jumped him, dragged him down to ringside, handcuffed him to the barricade, and was going to beat him with his nightstick before security dragged him away. Heenan remained chained to the barricade the whole show. He was such a despicable person, no one came down to unlock him.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:48 AM

How much of his stuff was scripted back in the day? His back-and-forth with Gorilla is legendary, but was it written? By him? Vince? A writer? All improv?
Old 09-18-2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
According to JR's Twitter, Bobby The Brain Heenan died today.
That's "Manager of the Year, Bobby the Brain Heenan" - a reference to a storyline from the pre-Raw days when they had a postcard-based (or was it 900-number) "Manager of the Year Contest" which, of course, was rigged from the start; just as they were about to announce the winner, Heenan claimed that all of the other heel managers agreed to give their votes to him, but then Hillbilly Jim (who would have been the actual winner based on the fan vote - he was considered "Uncle Elmer's" manager) said he was giving his votes to Lou Albano, who was declared the winner.

Actually, Heenan was once named the "official manager" of the All-Madden Team.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:01 PM

I remember the infamous weasel suit match ........ its hazy but it was either heenan himself or one of his wrestlers verses ultimate warrior and if bobby lost hed have to wear a weasel costume ..the match lasted maybe 2 minutes heenan tried to get away and warrior stuffed him in the costume ......

the look on his face in the costume was priceless and aired on the "prime time wrestling" (raws precursor ) intro for almost a decade
Old 09-18-2017, 12:52 PM

The first match was Greg Gagne vs Heenan in the AWA.

WWF (pre-WWE) repeated it with Ultimate Warrior.

Old 09-18-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
How much of his stuff was scripted back in the day? His back-and-forth with Gorilla is legendary, but was it written? By him? Vince? A writer? All improv?
Nothing like the way it's done now when the Brain started in WWE. They would work out some general story ahead of time, after that mostly improv. Vince would be talking in commentators ears sometimes, but not too many specifics. But that era is when the heavy scripting began, Vince liked the idea of more choreography in matches and knowing what would be said on the mike ahead of time whether it was promo, interview, or commentary. In his own day, Vince did all of that himself, while pretending to be some pawn of the mighty WWWF and he bristled at the way the talent would take advantage of him in that position. His emergence as the owner, CEO, Grand Imperial Poobah, and Almight God of Wrestling corresponded with the modern heavily scripted and choreographed mode of wrestling. It was necessary to turn it into a major nationwide sports/entertainment promotion instead of a local whistlestop affair. The wrestlers are so ingrained in that now very few of them could handle the total improv style that used to be. And that was a good thing since not many of them could do it well back then either.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
The first match was Greg Gagne vs Heenan in the AWA.

WWF (pre-WWE) repeated it with Ultimate Warrior.
thanks ..they (wwe) never aired the whole match more than once or twice which confused people on why bobby was in the intro in some costume .........

funny thing is be was never bitter about doing such things saying he was just another part of a circus .... he did say make sure tho when ya have a contract with vince is get an outside attorney to look it over because he liked to put goofy things in them and call ya on it in the worst possible moment
Old 09-18-2017, 01:39 PM

My favorite Heenan moment:

"YEAH, BUT WHOSE SIDE IS HE ON?!"

WWE has announced they're bringing back Starrcade, on Saturday, November 25. It'll be a SmackDown event in Greensboro, NC.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekedolphin View Post
WWE has announced they're bringing back Starrcade, on Saturday, November 25. It'll be a SmackDown event in Greensboro, NC.
They need to make the US title match a steel cage no-escape match (remember those?), and include a wooden chair.

And then, if they're paying tribute to 1985, they need to pay tribute to 1986 as well, and have the Again Yet Still Even Another Rematch between The Usos and The New Day a scaffold match - Night of the Skywalkers!
Old 09-18-2017, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
thanks ..they (wwe) never aired the whole match more than once or twice which confused people on why bobby was in the intro in some costume .........

funny thing is be was never bitter about doing such things saying he was just another part of a circus .... he did say make sure tho when ya have a contract with vince is get an outside attorney to look it over because he liked to put goofy things in them and call ya on it in the worst possible moment
I seem to remember AWA playing with it even earlier and the other wrestler being Buck Zumhofe (AWA being local). But given Zumhofe's later actions, I wouldn't be surprised if that was totally erased from the internet and history. Either that or I'm misremembering something similar to it.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:01 PM

So what did they do for bobby on raw ?
Old 09-18-2017, 09:30 PM
Charter Member

They just ran a video clip tribute (~10:25 Eastern), plus the standard opening plaque. Personally, I would have liked a tolling of the bells for someone as influential as Heenan.