Old 08-28-2018, 08:57 PM

Heparin requires monitoring of the clotting process, and rarely causes thrombocytopenia, which REALLY complicates things. In addition, Lovenox (enoxaparin) is more specific regarding the clotting factors upon which it acts.
Old 08-29-2018, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvaetbjorn View Post
What I take from this thread is you're (FILB) insanely depressed, humble, thoughtful of others, and alone. You sound like you're abhorrent of self-pity to the point you aren't, or hadn't, as of the last post I read really forced your personal health and needs on others. I'm almost wondering if you're more frightened of accepting being dependent and under the control of the hospital than you are of inadvertently dying from poor health at home. Actually, I take that back. You sound more likely afraid they'll throw you out again and leave you to die, which would be even worse. It gets harder and harder to believe you're a human being when no one will help in a time of need.

Before you devolve into a gibbering mess, I'd suggest doing the seemingly humiliating/shameful thing of asking a family member to help. As in, tell them exactly how bad it is. Someone who can visit multiple times a day and make phone calls until this is sorted out.

From personal experience, I can say I always believed there was no limit to a person's willpower and sanity. I thought as long as I trudged ahead there was no breaking point. For most of my life, this worked out pretty well and I survived some insanely screwed up things. But, I'm questioning that logic these days. I have a sense in me that there were times, under the right conditions, I could have had a psychotic break just long enough to really end my life, or maybe done something awful in desperation like a third party watching a movie of myself in that moment. And you, sir, are under an incredibly large amount of stress both physically and psychologically. (Apparently, according to your posts.)
Before we dive in here - thank you for caring enough to post. You've read the thread and took the time for a long, detailed message to me, and you did not need to take that time out of your life to do that. The thought and effort is appreciated.

I don't fear death the way I used to. I fear a lingering, painful death, but I've come to believe there are worse things than dying. I fear spending months in a place like this, putting up with pain and stress and hoping I'd recover, then dying - or worse, not. Getting just sick enough that I can never break the spiral of bad health and get anything fixed.

Yeah, I don't want to be kicked out of here. I cannot live on my own right now. Kind of a reasonable concern, I think. Considering that three months and one week ago, I was fairly independant, keeping house and caring for someone else, I also fear being dependent and under the control of the rehab facility, which of late seems less rehab and more The Three Stooges Nursing Home. As for depression, well, I have never been more depressed in my adult life. Not even when was I sick four years ago.

I've spent the last 17 years with Crohn's, all of which were under-served by medical treatment. I've spent the past 12 years caring for my mother and doing almost nothing else. I could have died about 4 years back. The local hospital would not operate and were suggesting conservative, non-invasive treatment, which would not have ended well, according to my (eventual) surgeon. When I was in ICU, one doctor tried to manually reduce my hernia. Only problem was, it wasn't a hernia: it was a huge pocket of infection and feces that looked like a hernia. The part of it that was visible on the outside. Funny thing was, that wasn't what got me to the ER. It was the bilateral PE's that made me pass out when I tried to walk. The PE's likely saved me from the infection. I did not have insurance, it didn;t kick in for another 2 weeks, at the first of the year, and I would have been horribly ill before then. Kind of a miracle I didn't have infection all through my body already. Not too many ppl are thankful for multiple PEs.

One doctor fought for me and got me transferred to a hospital where they'd operate. A year later in a follow-up appointment, my surgeon said that it was the worst he'd ever seen, and that I was one of those patients you never forget. I spent three months in the hospital and rehab. I guess I said all that so I could get to this point: Ever since, all I've really hoped for was 5 or 6 years of reasonable health and enough freedom to visit my friends up north. Freedom to go places without being chained to a toilet and without fear of having 'accidents'. Five or six years to live and make new memories instead of exist, to simply survive through day after day of pain.

I don't have much more to work with. Reinforcements are not on the way. I've hardly seen anyone in 12 years but my sister and my mother. Between my own sickness and Mom's needs, I didn't get out much. Mom's undergoing psychiatric evaluation now, and my sister has to handle that on her own, along with her own job and her life. I see her about 90 minutes a week. I wouldn't have put Mom in a home while I could avoid it, but that's been taken out of my hands now, and all I have left is my hope for my five or six years of relative health and freedom. I about lost my mind when I got my DVT before my back surgery. At that moment, Mom had to go away, and I even lost my dog. There was no choice after that.

Just so much collapsed around me, and still threatens to - ALL BECAUSE OF THE DAMN DVT. If I hadn't had that, I'd have had my back surgery and been back home caring for Mom and waiting on my colon surgery. But because of that one last gratuitous insult, I had to sit here and stare at walls for months on end while everything flies apart like shrapnel.

I have to make it through another 5 weeks to my colon surgery. That at least will be the first progress I'd have made in 17 years, the first progress I'd had in three months of sitting here while my mother bounces around finding a place that can handle her, and my sister tries to keep it together while Mom has her last go at making our lives miserable.

I am just rambling. I'll leave it. You were wondering what I feared. Basically, I feared this. Every bit of this, and still more that's come to pass these past three months that I'm not going to talk about. All I have to do is keep it together until my surgeries and avoid another blood clot, and I'm doing what I can there. Oh, and outlast the kitchen's, "Find the Gluten" sick little game. Spoiler alert: today, they put gravy - chicken gravy, I think - on my plain-hamburger-patty-on-a-plate. Chicken gravy.

That damned DVT has sent multiple lives off-course. Mine, my mother's, my sister's, even my sad little dog. You'd think the cellulitis on my foot, the broken vertebrae, the neverending Crohn;s flare and impending colectomy wound be enough at one time. Not the case.
Old 09-29-2018, 04:03 AM

Update:

I'm scheduled for a colectomy on October 3rd. I'll be in the hospital for a few days, and if all goes well, they'll ship me to a nursing/rehab facility to recover and wait for my next surgery, which will be to repair my vertebrae. No details of the back surgery have been worked out, including where it will happen and who will do it. Hoping to make some progress on that front during my hospital stay for my colectomy. Also hoping to find a different nursing/rehab facility, so I don't have to come back here.

I've been in the hospital or nursing home since the end of May. Four straight months of lying in bed. Everything points to this being a real, positive step in improving my health, the biggest one I've taken in the 17 years since I've been diagnosed. Those who have had this operation assure me it's the best thing that they could have done.

Been a tough few months. Everyone keeps asking me if I'm excited, if I am happy to be having this. In a vague, abstract way, yeah, I guess so, but not a lot. Too worn out by too much crap going wrong for too long. After four months in this place, I feel institutionalized. I don't know what life outside is like anymore. I just exist through day after day, waiting to get to the next operation, hoping it will get me the hell out of this place.

So, October 3rd is my next big day. I'll post back here, probably 3-5 days later. Sooner, if history is any guide, but I can't be sure.
Old 09-29-2018, 10:03 AM

I'm glad that you'll be having the surgery in October. I hope it goes well.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyG View Post
I'm glad that you'll be having the surgery in October. I hope it goes well.
Thanks. I'm about 8 days past my surgery. Been rough. For the first few days it was like some heavyweight boxer worked over my abdomen for 30 minutes. Such pain. Had issues with the functioning of my intestines - lot of 'output'. Passed a kidney stone. Sure would like to see real improvement, because right now things feel like a regular Crohn's flare, except I dont have to run to the bathroom, I have a bag to catch things. I look occasionally, afraid I'll see a bag full of blood. Hasn't happened yet, but until things calm down, I'll keep looking.

Thinking/working on the back surgery next. Need to get a referral. Not gonna wait around for that for forever. Need to set up an appt to get in ASAP. Hoping I'll be healed well enough for my next surgery by the time I can arrange to have it.

Trying to get used to caring for the ostomy, even as I'm trying to get used to having it.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:01 PM

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
Old 10-12-2018, 10:06 PM
Charter Member

Hang in there!
Old 10-12-2018, 10:57 PM

Oh, geez. I am so glad you got the surgery. I hope it's a good outcome. Are you headed to a rehab center next?
Old 10-14-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Oh, geez. I am so glad you got the surgery. I hope it's a good outcome. Are you headed to a rehab center next?
Thanks everyone. Yeah, I'm back in the SAME rehab center. I talked with the folks at the hospital, and they talked with the facility about their inability to serve me gluten free food. So far so good.

Abdomen is feeling better, thankfully.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:38 AM

My gosh what a saga! I’m very glad you are on the mend.
Old 11-02-2018, 01:48 PM

How are you doing?

Has you next surgery been scheduled?
Old 11-03-2018, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

Let us know how you're doing.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:15 PM

Well, I'm a month past my colectomy and ileostomy. Still being careful of what I eat. Mostly potatoes and rice and meat, with some eggs thrown in. Had some gluten free chocolate chip cookies (rice flour) and some Butter finger candy bars on Halloween and I tolerated them well. The latter is mostly peanut butter and sugar, and they said that was safe to eat. Worked out OK. I find the bag annoying, I have to empty it like four times a day, and I only eat three times a day, when they feed me. Still better than the blood, pain and cramping, and the messing myself... Although I now pass mucus about twice a day, through what remains of my colon/anus. Also annoying. Hoping this all gets easier with time, and when I can walk again.

Still getting used to changing my appliance every four days or so. Not easy for me, but as I heal and get practice hopefully it will get easier. I have a referral for a back surgeon my pcp recommended. Don't have a date for the first appt yet, the one his office set conflicted with my ostomy follow up in a couple days. Hopefully the rescheduled appt will be soon.

Something went wrong with my SSI appeal. Something that was supposed to be easy and a virtual lock did not happen. So the 8-10 thousand dollars backpay I was hoping to get in October didn't happen. I got nothing. Least I have my monthly payment and my Medicaid. That extra money could really have come in handy. My nineteen year old Saturn leaks a quart of oil a month, but with my finances, when it dies, that's pretty much it for having a car. Need dental work, my vision beyond five feet is a joke, and that's WITH glasses... That money could have found uses. Hell, I was rebuilding my 7-year-old desktop computer before I went into the hospital, and I never finished that. Oh well.

Just waiting on my next surgery and hoping to be home before Christmas and my birthday again. Three of the past four years, I've spent the holidays in the hospital. For a guy that doesn't think of himself as all that sick, I'm sick a lot.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:10 AM

Best wishes!
Old 11-06-2018, 04:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Intentionally Left Blank View Post
Went for mri's, today. I have two broken vertebrae. No reason for it they just broke because of all the prednisone I took.
Extended use of prednisone tends to cause osteoporosis. It seems like people somehow don't get told that at the beginning.
Old 11-06-2018, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidwithanR View Post
Extended use of prednisone tends to cause osteoporosis. It seems like people somehow don't get told that at the beginning.
I believe somewhere in the thread he explained that he couldn't afford the pricey alternatives.
Old 11-06-2018, 04:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastTense View Post
I believe somewhere in the thread he explained that he couldn't afford the pricey alternatives.
Yes, understood. Still - people not getting told "this causes osteoporosis" is an issue IMO.
Old 11-06-2018, 04:56 PM

Some peeps just want relief and skim over warnings. If we had a healthcare plan in this country it would be a non-issue.
Ok. I am off my soapbox, carry on.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:08 PM

Yeah, I was aware of the risks. Hell, my stepsister has Lupus, has had a hip replacement because prednisone killed the marrow in the joint. Felt I was always, "just using it to get over this flare", but really, I was flaring half the year or more, particularly in recent years. No insurance, and prednisone was effective and cheap. I'm in a group not commonly associated with osteoporosis, and had hoped it would protect me some as well. Didn't happen.

Got my PCP to recommend a back surgeon that takes my insurance, and refer me to him. Had an appointment scheduled for today, but he called me this morning and canceled. His people told me that after talking with my PCP, he decided that due to my use of blood thinners and my problems wearing a brace (my new ostomy), that he could not help me.

Neither of those problems are going away, but I still need surgery to walk. Guess I'll call my PCP tomorrow and start over again. This terribly upset me - I canceled my followup for my ostomy surgeon because this was when the back surgeon could see me, and now my ostomy followup isn't until December 27th - a long time from Oct 11th, the last time i've seen a doctor about it (surgery was Oct 3rd). Moved a very important appointment for the back surgeon, and he won't even see me.

This was supposed to move my recovery forward, and instead it was suddenly a dead end, with news that things I can't do a damn thing about are gonna affect my ability to get someone to operate on me. So I was upset. A parade of ppl came in to talk to me today, including a psych doctor. Gotta pacify the cattle, keep 'em calm in their stalls while they rake in their money. Not allowed to show a moment's weakness or be justifiably upset or a gaggle of ppl come in wanting to hold your hand and spout platitudes. They're not the ones who woke up unable to walk one day and have spent five+ months in a hospital bed.

Jesus, wtf, is my name Job or something? Why can't ONE fucking thing go as expected?
Old 11-08-2018, 09:15 PM

My impression of the situation is that 1. The back surgery is somewhat tricky because of your health problems and thus both the surgery and backups could take a long to do and 2. You are on Medicaid which pays very little. Consequently most surgeons are not going to financially interested in doing your surgery. [And this is my guess of the reason for your surgeon's rejection--not blood thinners]

The exception might be a surgeon at a medical school, who might find your case interesting/a good teaching opportunity. What are the medicals schools close to you? Did you say Vanderbilt? If so go to the faculty directory and find the appropriate departments--apparently both orthopaedic surgery and neurological surgery do spine operations.
https://www.orlandoortho.com/orthopa...spine-surgery/

Go through and read the description of each of the faculty members and find some possibilities. Note each has an email address.
https://wag.app.vanderbilt.edu/Publi...Faculty/Search

Prepare a letter, including complete a complete medical description and start sending them off (remember they might want to do it because it is medically interesting). Don't spam large numbers at once. And be sure the title is interesting enough so they read the email.

Last edited by PastTense; 11-08-2018 at 09:18 PM.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:43 PM

So sorry. Call your ostomy doctor and get in earlier or on a call list for a cancellation. Chin up. Here's hoping.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:10 PM

Thanks for the responses and suggestions. Not yet ready to pass my surgery along to a student, but it's another option if it comes to that. Gonna talk to my PCP again Monday. She's been a great help and advocate for me in the past, so I'll start with her again and see where that goes.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:01 PM

Still reading along and sending Slack your way, Face.
Old 11-26-2018, 04:30 AM

Thanks Bo, I appreciate you sending something useful my way

I have an appointment with a new surgeon on Dec 3rd. Yale educated, the former Chief of Staff at a Nashville hospital. . .sounds really good so far. Hope he'll operate on me, or at least see me before he gives up on me.

Looks like I'm in here until at least January. Crap. This Tuesday marks six months since I woke up and couldn't walk, and I called the ambulance.
Old 11-26-2018, 06:17 AM
Charter Member

Going to be thinking good thoughts for you on Dec. 3. You are doing an amazing job of hanging in there and not giving up.
Old 11-26-2018, 02:43 PM
Mere Member

I hope this surgeon gives you good news!
Old 02-04-2019, 11:38 PM

Today is my first day home.

Surgeon did not give me good news. Said my bones were too bad to operate on, said putting hardware on my spine would be like nailing jello to a board. Also was worried about operating on me with my history of blood clots. Still in a wheelchair, but walking a few steps here and there.My back hurts when I stand. Hope to one day get well enough to wank into a store and use one of those motorized carts and do my own shopping.

Spent ten hours setting up my desktop. My sister and her husband moved all my stuff into a storage facility, then two weeks later had to move it all into my new place. They didn't really understand how to set up my computer, I'm just glad they did a decent job of taking it down and moving it.

The new place has bugs. Killed five and one got away since coming home around noon. Sister says they are roaches. Can't tell myself, my vision is very poor now. I think I have cataracts. Prednisone can cause them, just like it caused my brittle/broken bones. I don't really want to go to bed, as I don't really want the bugs to crawl on me, whatever they are.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:55 PM

Tell your landlord about the bugs. So sorry about your back surgery. Couldn't be worse news. For God's sake don't fall. Be very careful. I worry about you.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:28 AM

Sorry to hear about your very bad news.

A few people here may want to contribute a few dollars. You mentioned the problems with getting additional money with SSI and having to declare it. An alternative I was thinking about was gift cards. For example suppose you shop at Amazon. One might buy a $25, $50... whatever Amazon.com eGift Card and just enter your email address (which you list in your profile).

Thoughts?
Old 02-05-2019, 12:30 AM

I would donate. Someone should set it up.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:38 AM

Oh c'MON! One just crawled up my mousing hand. Forget sleeping, they're crawling on me when I'm awake. On the other hand, might as well sleep if that's gonna happen anyway.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. If I think of anything I need, I'll let you guys know.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:21 AM
Charter Member

Definitely complain to the landlord about the bugs.

Apply for all of the help you can. After my problems, I'm now getting SNAP and a free medical plan from Pennsylvania, and SSDI from the federal level. The health coverage is better than the one I was paying for.

I'm bad off but you sound much worse so you should be eligible for at least what I'm getting, depending on your state.

Last edited by davidm; 02-05-2019 at 02:25 AM.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Definitely complain to the landlord about the bugs.
Yeah; that's really unacceptable.

You're one tough motherfucker, you know that Face?
Old 02-05-2019, 06:44 PM
Mere Member

Please, please let me send you an Amazon e-gift card so you can at least order some roach motels!
Old 02-05-2019, 06:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hope to one day get well enough to wank into a store and use one of those motorized carts and do my own shopping.
(bolding mine)

I think that's asking for a bit too much.

Sincerely -- all the best to you.
Old 02-05-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena330 View Post
Please, please let me send you an Amazon e-gift card so you can at least order some roach motels!
+1
Old 02-06-2019, 08:36 PM

Thanks again, as always. I had an idea I was gonna be up against this, so I started this thread a couple weeks back.

Maybe it was all the spraying they've been doing that got them all stirred up. I haven't seen a single bug since I woke up at 10AM. Weird. I've got some growth inhibitor on order, and a couple of poison baits that you're supposed to use in rotation. Between that and the spraying the landlord has been doing, maybe we can knock these things down.

I appreciate the offers of help. I'm doing OK for now. I'm not tough, I'm just trying to get by as best I can in a fairly rough period.

JeffB, holy hell, what a typo! Wish I could blame it on some autocorrect accident, but I think we all know it was my fat fingers along with some poorly hidden exhibitionist tendencies.

I better hit the road. Getting pretty tired. Lotta work getting the new place in order, and I'm still not done.
Old 04-06-2019, 09:14 PM

It's been a couple months since you last posted in this thread: how are you doing now?

Best wishes!
Old 04-07-2019, 06:54 PM
Mere Member

Quote:
It's been a couple months since you last posted in this thread: how are you doing now?

Best wishes!
Thanks for bumping. I hope you're doing ok, Face!
Old 04-08-2019, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Has he posted anywhere on the board lately?

Last edited by davidm; 04-08-2019 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-08-2019, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Yes, in the guitar thread on 4/6.
Old 05-21-2019, 03:17 AM

Hey guys, sorry. Haven't checked in on this lately, thought interest had died. I'll bring you up to date.

Still in the efficiency apartment. Miracle of miracles, they actually knocked down the cockroaches. I've seen just one in about the past 5 or 6 weeks. Didn't have a lot of hope, as I understand the college students a few doors down don't keep a clean place, leaving fast food/pizza bags/boxes and remnants out. If you don't stop doing that, it's hard to put a stop to the roaches. They tried a few different sprays, and I guess they found one the bugs did not like. Things are a lot more pleasant when cockroaches aren't crawling on you.

Had an appointment with my primary last week at 3 in the afternoon. I have to go every 3 months to get pain pills refills. I set up transportation through my insurance company 9 days in advance. Had a reservation# and everything. At 6:30AM the day of the appointment, I call them, and they still didn't have anyone lined up. Several calls and several hours later, my sister ended up having to take me. Never tried these handicapped transports before, and my first experience didn't work out at all. Could have been worse: they could have driven me there and not picked me up.

I have an appointment on the 30th with an eye surgeon to see about getting my cataracts removed. I hope it's not too many more months before I get that taken care of. It's been two months since they said I needed them operated on, and I've been telling people I'm half-blind for about a year now. Had a confusing conversation with my sister last week when she took me to my appointment. I was asking about my car, where it was, etc. Things got confusing because we were parked right next to it and she just assumed I knew it was there, and she didn't know what it was I was talking about. I'm REALLY looking forward to getting my eyes fixed.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a proctectomy later this year. The last several inches of my colon that remain is still causing me problems - I'm incontinent from excessive mucus, some blood, and 2-3 times a day, I have a few minutes of painful, uncontrolled cramping. I'm really not looking forward to that surgery. Afterwards, you can't even sit down for 3-5 weeks, which is especially problematic for someone who can't walk/stand for more than a minute. If it goes well, though, it will eliminate that particular pain, and I won't have to wear diapers any more, which would be nice. Just 6-8 weeks more pain and discomfort, and I won't have that any more. It'll mean more time in the nursing home recovering. If things go wrong and I need more than 2 months in there, I could lose my apartment and end up in an assisted-living facility, or a nursing home, or even on the streets. It's a risk.

Still working on walking. My hope is (once I get my eyes fixed) to be able to walk to my car, park in a handicapped space, and walk into the store and get into one of those motorized chairs/carts. It would allow me to get out of the house, and buy a few things on my own, even if I can't get the heavy/perishable stuff. I could buy some things and leave them in the trunk until my sister visits.

Some random stuff:
I lost some things in the move. I had some autographed cards, including an autographed Harvey Haddix card that I probably could have sold for $100. Would have helped me get computer upgrades or a new Kindle. Had a Topps rookie Mario Lemieux card. Worst of all, I lost my Kindle Paperwhite. I have a color tablet, though it's pretty beat up from a year of over-use in the nursing home, but I really prefer the Paperwhite for extended reading. I've got alerts set up on SlickDeals to tell me when a sale comes up. Maybe they'll have a sale on refurbs, or a clearance when a new model comes out.

They made me take a pee test to get my pain pills last week. Tested me for drugs like pot and meth. Pot? I'm glad I don't know anyone. If I had the opportunity, I likely would have tried it to see if it helped my pains, then I would not have been able to get my legal opiates because of using pot. Makes sense.

I think that's pretty much everything worth talking about. Thanks for asking.

Last edited by Face Intentionally Left Blank; 05-21-2019 at 03:19 AM.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:36 PM

CBD is legal everywhere, because it's made from hemp. I use it with my pain pills, and I think it makes them more effective. I also discovered that CBD can effectively "cure" what the advertising industry calls "OIC," which stands for "Opioid Induced Constipation." Since you have temperamental guts, you would need to use CBD um, delicately.

My source of CBD is wellicity . com

~VOW
Old 05-21-2019, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

CBD can also give a false positive for marijuana (or a true positive if they didn't get all the THC out when refining it) which, from the standpoint of Federal rules and regulations regarding opiates, is no different than smoking genuine marijuana and would result in loss of access to legal opiates for the OP. If you're doubtful about that, I will also throw in that eating hot dog or hamburger buns ornamented with poppy seeds can also generate positive results on some drugs tests. I don't know what sort of test the OP's pain clinic is using or the sensitivity of them, but drug testing urine can be a surprisingly tricky business.

In other words, nice thought but maybe not the best suggestion.
Old 05-21-2019, 04:03 PM

Face: Best wishes. I talked in a previous post about Amazon gift cards for you--and others supported it. So we could help you pay for a new Kindle or computer upgrades.
Old 05-22-2019, 03:18 AM
Mere Member

Quote:
Face: Best wishes. I talked in a previous post about Amazon gift cards for you--and others supported it. So we could help you pay for a new Kindle or computer upgrades.
I'm in.

Thanks for the update, Face! I'm glad you don't have to deal with cockroaches any more!
Old 05-22-2019, 05:21 AM

Thanks guys. I've considered CBD oil, but hadn't got around to trying it. Now that I know I'll be tested, I'm definitely not going to try it because of the false positive risk. I find it funny(in both senses of the word) that this will probably be among the last states to legalize it. I read somewhere that marijuana is Kentucky's biggest cash crop.

I've never done any illegal drug. Always had better things to do. I find it funny that I'm being drug-tested for the first time now. I worked in a hospital, I was an assistant supervisor at a bank, and I was never tested. Let me get sick and sit in a wheelchair at home though, PEE TEST! Heck, possible pain reduction aside, I'm getting to the point in my life when I should consider trying drugs. Remember Alan Arkin's character in Little Miss Sunshine?

As for the gift cards, I appreciate the thought as always, folks. I don't really NEED a computer upgrade now. As long as I have access to my desktop and it stays in working order, it's adequate for my needs. I can afford the Kindle if I really needed it now, but I'm going to wait for a sale to conserve money. It's something that will be more useful after my cataract surgery, anyway.

Thanks for caring.
Old 05-22-2019, 06:48 AM

I think you ought to have a Kindle Paperwhite! With a screen protector and a case that may protect from falls, but not from being run over by a cement truck.

Gimme an address, I'll send it to you immediately, and the scruffy bunch here can hand over all the change they've been digging out of the storm drains.

I'm not rich, Face. My husband and I are disabled retirees. But I have a few extra bucks, and my mommy and daddy instilled an attitude of helping people out.

So...gimme your address.

~VOW

(PS--you can change the font size and brightness!)
Old 05-22-2019, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
As for the gift cards, I appreciate the thought as always, folks. I don't really NEED a computer upgrade now
I'll just point out that there are a LOT of things you can buy on Amazon with a gift card. Building up a small account of that sort via donations can be an emergency resource of sorts. You don't have to use it all up immediately, after all, you can keep it in reserve. Use it for what you need, when you need it.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

It sounds like things are slowly improving for you. I know how tough it can be. Hang in there!